Will there be land spear?

Indeed. The OP is asking whether spears will become a possible weapon type usable in areas out of the water, presumably as a potential Elite spec. It's a common request.

Unless there is a specific technical reason why this can never happen, I wouldn't expect an answer to this one for the reason of "we don't discuss possible forthcoming content"

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Indeed. The OP is asking whether spears will become a possible weapon type usable in areas out of the water, presumably as a potential Elite spec. It's a common request.

>

> Unless there is a specific technical reason why this can never happen, I wouldn't expect an answer to this one for the reason of "we don't discuss possible forthcoming content"

Only technical reason that I could think of is that weapon skills are hard coded to the weapon type. This could present a problem if you have the same weapon which can be used in and out of water. Which skill set would the game choose? While some could think of an easy fix, we all know of other seemingly easy fixes that were not so because of the game’s coding.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Indeed. The OP is asking whether spears will become a possible weapon type usable in areas out of the water, presumably as a potential Elite spec. It's a common request.

> >

> > Unless there is a specific technical reason why this can never happen, I wouldn't expect an answer to this one for the reason of "we don't discuss possible forthcoming content"

>

> Only technical reason that I could think of is that weapon skills are hard coded to the weapon type. This could present a problem if you have the same weapon which can be used in and out of water. Which skill set would the game choose? While some could think of an easy fix, we all know of other seemingly easy fixes that were not so because of the game’s coding.

Given that certain utilities already substantially change functionality in and out of water, they could probably at least have "land" and "water" versions of the same skills.

Edit: The tricky bit would probably be changing the in-water/out-of-water weapon swap to recognize amphibious weapons so you don't need both a land spear and a water spear.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Lightsbane.9012" said:

> > will there be land spear?

>

> Hi. First, I changed your topic to something of meaning, since "Hello" isn't helpful.

>

> Second, can you explain your question in a little more detail?

Not trying tk be rude or anything but i think the question is pretty clear. Esp if you look back at a number of requests ove the years for this.

I don't think the devs are allowed to say. But to be a party pooper what benefit would adding the spear to the roster of weapons that can be used on land ? at this point there are plenty of weapons each class can't use. Also what role would it fill? Thrown like a Javelin or as a one handed thrusting weapon in a way similar to the way a Hoplite would? (both roles are already filled by short bow and Sword respectively))

While admit I would LOVE to see my Warrior go all Spartan with a spear primary weapon and a sword as a backup. from the logical standpoint it just does not seem to be worth the time investment

> @"dusanyu.4057" said:

> I don't think the devs are allowed to say. But to be a party pooper what benefit would adding the spear to the roster of weapons that can be used on land ? at this point there are plenty of weapons each class can't use. Also what role would it fill? Thrown like a Javelin or as a one handed thrusting weapon in a way similar to the way a Hoplite would? (both roles are already filled by short bow and Sword respectively))

>

> While admit I would LOVE to see my Warrior go all Spartan with a spear primary weapon and a sword as a backup. from the logical standpoint it just does not seem to be worth the time investment

A sword and a spear are nowhere on the same niche, much less a shortbow and a spear. Spear are considered to be high range fast thrusting weapons, swords are usually slower, close-range cutting weapons. A spear is not meant to be thrown around, much like a staff isnt either. That is the kind of stuff you only see in last case scenarios or in movies (you really don't wanna lose your weapon). Different weapons have different fighting styles that suit different fighters. I see no issue with a spear and would love to wield one. Kung fu style.

I'd be more of a fan of going full hand on hand combat though, with a gauntlet or something; but spears are cool too.

I'm of the mindset that it's absolutely possible to make Spears a land based weapon.. likewise I also think it's possible for other weapons like Sword and Dagger to be usable underwater as well.

This is something i've long supported.. Spears being usable on land would be a cool way to add a new weapon to various classes without the new weapon problem of lacking a skin backlog same could be applied to the Trident which I would honestly love to use as a land based Melee weapon as well.

But more so is the usability of land based weapons underwater.. Dagger and Sword are the two most obvious ones that come to mind and this is a far bigger deal because one of the biggest problems with underwater combat in Gw2 is the lack of build diversity and that has a lot to do with the incredibly limited number of underwater weapons..

Weapons are that big important thing that defines half of our skill bars after all so it's pretty important that underwater content gets more usable weapons if it's ever going to become as awesome as I believe it could be.

Other weapons I could see being used Underwater are Axe, Sceptor, Focus, Shield and Torch.. yes that's right Torch!! Behold my burning underwater bubble stick!!

Just a handful of land weapons being usable underwater with new skills to suit them would significantly improve the build diversity of underwater content imo.

Matter of fact if those 7 weapons were added to be usable underwater I'd go so far as to say an Underwater mount is literally the only thing we'd need to make that content almost perfect :D