The GW2 Lunar New Year is blah.

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> Why is anet allergic to Asian themed events. They even cited in the past they didnt want cantha because the cultural depiction might be offensive?

I've read it somewhere back in '13 about how NCSOFT found it offensive to have Anet mix Asian cultures, which comes to the main reason why Cantha hasn't been added yet. Apparently, Divinity's Reach was suppose to have had a Cantha themed district in the Western part of DR, but was replaced by The Crown Pavilion due to NCSOFT finding it offensive (in the beginning there was a giant black hole with a bridge). I'll see if I can find a source to this, but I've read this somewhere in some sources and have heard it from some people.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > I heard they said that in regards to a cantha themed expansion pack not a dr district.

> > If you have a source, I'm willing to change my mind. Without it, it's nothing more than another unsubstantiated rumor.

>

> http://selfconfessedcynic.podbean.com/2012/12/22/a-lincolncast-interview-with-josh-foreman-episode-34/

>

> 1:44:45. - anet environmental designer. All the proof I need. It's in regard to the district but It also applies to why we don't have a cantha expansion pack.

###### Original Source of the Rumors About Cantha

* [December 2012 Interview with Josh Foreman](http://selfconfessedcynic.podbean.com/2012/12/22/a-lincolncast-interview-with-josh-foreman-episode-34/) (skip to 1:44:17 for the relevant bit) (I've listened to the entire thing and that's as specific as Foreman gets)

* [Empty Coffee Mug, referencing the same podcast on Reddit](https://redd.it/3kdhak)

##### About Foreman

> [Joshua Foreman](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Joshua_Foreman) is an environmental artist and art lead

##### Here's what Foreman said

> We had a Cantha district. It was built out. It was polished. It was beautiful. We kept getting feedback about the Asian market. And everyone was having a problem with it because the Chinese don't like having their architecture mixed with Koreans and the Koreans don't like having their architecture with the Chinese. And of course it's fantasy smorgosbord. It's gothic mixed with Nordic mixed with ... that's just the way fantasy works. But not over there apparently. So it got to the point where we were like ... well, what do we do with this spot? We don't have time to rebuild from scratch, so we just nuked it.

And that's it.

The only actual fact we have is that there were plans for a Canthan district in Divinity's Reach and that the section was removed at the last minute. "We kept getting feedback" is ambiguous about the source. We don't know if a Korean VP over at NCSOFT said, "don't do it" Maybe there was last minute feedback from playtesters in Asia. Or perhaps ANet had just entered into negotiations with KongZhong (the current publisher for the China version of the game) and they had an opinion. Or it could have been something else entirely. We simply haven't been told.

"_Everyone_ was having a problem" is exactly the sort of thing I've heard VPs say when they mean, "_I_ have a problem with it." It's hard to find evidence that entire ethnic groups "don't like having their architecture mixed," rather than it's a preference (strong or otherwise) by some individuals with clout.

It's not clear at all if this prevents GW2 from going to Cantha or if GW can do so but only under certain conditions or ... It could even be a tiny issue that ANet might have led ANet to decide, "why bother dealing with it at all, when we still have so many other places to go without worrying about what a vocal minority have to say."

The point is that we have one developer offering a single fact (_Canthan District_ removed at the last minute), without any clear explanation. It could be as some of us have interpreted. Or it could be the result of any number of explanations. We have no details at all.

> All the proof I need. It's in regard to the district but It also applies to why we don't have a cantha expansion pack.

It doesn't pass muster as an explanation because we already have mixed Asian designs in the game. And there are other games that do.

I can think of half a dozen explanations that are just as plausible that have nothing to do with the present direction of the game.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The only actual fact we have is that there were plans for a Canthan district in Divinity's Reach and that the section was removed at the last minute. "We kept getting feedback" is ambiguous about the source. We don't know if a Korean VP over at NCSOFT said, "don't do it" Maybe there was last minute feedback from playtesters in Asia. Or perhaps ANet had just entered into negotiations with KongZhong (the current publisher for the China version of the game) and they had an opinion. Or it could have been something else entirely. We simply haven't been told.

>

> "_Everyone_ was having a problem" is exactly the sort of thing I've heard VPs say when they mean, "_I_ have a problem with it." It's hard to find evidence that entire ethnic groups "don't like having their architecture mixed," rather than it's a preference (strong or otherwise) by some individuals with clout.

>

> It's not clear at all if this prevents GW2 from going to Cantha or if GW can do so but only under certain conditions or ... It could even be a tiny issue that ANet might have led ANet to decide, "why bother dealing with it at all, when we still have so many other places to go without worrying about what a vocal minority have to say."

>

> The point is that we have one developer offering a single fact (_Canthan District_ removed at the last minute), without any clear explanation. It could be as some of us have interpreted. Or it could be the result of any number of explanations. We have no details at all.

>

> > All the proof I need. It's in regard to the district but It also applies to why we don't have a cantha expansion pack.

> It doesn't pass muster as an explanation because we already have mixed Asian designs in the game. And there are other games that do.

> I can think of half a dozen explanations that are just as plausible that have nothing to do with the present direction of the game.

>

Well my guess is it had to do with them launching the game in China, and they didnt want to do anything offensive. It seems to have lightened over the years or maybe gw2 in China isnt very profitable anymore so they dont care? Either way pretty lame people are sensitive about depicting culture, it should be taken as a compliment not an insult.

> Well my guess is it had to do with them launching the game in China,

I think that's a fairly likely scenario.

> and they didnt want to do anything offensive.

In the eyes of KongZhong. Remember, it's KZ's decision based on their preferences, which we've seen before isn't necessarily representative of what actual Chinese players seem to enjoy. Based on some feedback we've seen from some English-speaking players of the CN game, it's possible that KZ doesn't understand their own market as well as they think.

Either way, I don't think it's enough to help us predict ANet's future choices about Cantha.

We had canthan new year in GW because you know, there was Cantha. However there is No Cantha and probably never will be, and TBH I think if there is so much hate regarding this theme then they should just scrap it all together. It's not much of an event anyways, same old stuff you get at any others, and although I love seeing the canthan theme, it has no purpose other to appease the same people who are against us going to that area in the first place. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Even if there was hypothetical reason they don't want to represent mixed Asian cultures it's been 250 years in game time. That's more than enough time for new cultural styles to evolve. They could cook up a style that only hints at the source material. They could draw on Aztec and Mayan styles with a splash of generic north and central Asian to create a whole new style for the region in a future expansion.

> @"nathanjameson.3542" said:

> I now live in Taiwan and love Chinese new year over here. Sadly, I'm in the minority, and a lot of the western players don't "get" CNY.

I think you are wrong, or a thread like this would not have been created. You felt the Canthan influence in GW1's Lunar New Year, and there were so many more actitivities offered there! <3 Miss that. :(

GW2's Lunar New Year is only good for one thing: farming Luck (I maxed mine today). Even the Dragon Ball Arena can't even compete with the GW1 version, which was so much more fun (not a stressful battle royal).

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> What has a 6 year old comment on the canthan housing district got to do with feedback on this years lunar new year? Can we keep on topic maybe?

Lunar new years is boring > not enough Asian themed decorations > why we dont have more cantha (Asian themed decorations) in the game. > what's anets aversion to cantha. There u go. Try reading the thread...

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I'd rather they didn't waste too much time on more festival stuff when this isn't a major festival - although I do like some of your ideas.

>

> I do find it funny that instead of opening the envelopes and hope for 8 win, you can sell them on the TP for guaranteed 8g win..

Aren't the envelopes account bound on acquire though?

> @"Magek.4718" said:

> Aren't the envelopes account bound on acquire though?

The Little Lucky Envelopes are. The Divine Envelopes, which you can purchase 16 of a day, are not. People buy them because if you have very high levels of Magic Find, you can actually turn a reliable profit by opening them, with the chance of a big payday if you're lucky. For the people selling the envelopes, they'd rather not go through the RNG and are content to settle for a small profit per envelope.