Removal of Lunar New Year Event for North American Servers

PulsarianDevil.8125

> @"PulsarianDevil.8125" said:

> I had never even heard of the lunar new year before I saw the event in Guild Wars 2, and I am puzzled as to why it is included on North American servers? Does it occur to anyone that maybe the vast majority of Americans don't celebrate the lunar new year?

I am puzzled why it matters that you personally haven't heard of something in order to make it interesting or fun for others in the gaming community.

The vast majority of Americans haven't heard of Zephyrites either. Lots of players don't participate in Super Adventure Box. And yet those are both festivals.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy getting the opportunity to make a few gold for no effort, or playing a couple of games. It's fun for plenty of people.

> Hello there,

>

> I had never even heard of the lunar new year before I saw the event in Guild Wars 2, and I am puzzled as to why it is included on North American servers? Does it occur to anyone that maybe the vast majority of Americans don't celebrate the lunar new year?

>

> Regards,

>

> Hildace

Many people in North America actually do celebrate the Lunar New Year.

I also want to bring up that St Patrick’s Day, Christmas, and Halloween also did not originate in North America. They’re really not all that different from Lunar New Year.

• 4 weeks later...

> @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> people in Europe do not celebrate Halloween, but still we have to endure 4 weeks of that stuff every year.

>

> While one week would be plenty and really enough 'fun'.

Not sure about the rest of Europe but people in the UK and Ireland definitely do celebrate Halloween, along with Samhain and All Hallows Eve/All Saints Day - the religious festivals it's based on and a lot of the 'American' traditions actually originated here and were carried to America by settlers. We don't go all out with the decorations like Americans do, but it's still celebrating the same thing.

Lunar New Year is also known, but not widely celebrated, over here. Until GW1 I'd only ever heard it called Chinese New Year and genuinely thought it was only China that celebrated it, but the in-game event gave me an incentive to find out more about the real thing.

I am a new player of less than 6 months i enjoyed Lunar New Year and Wintersday and im sure i'll enjoy the other events/festivals that take place in GW2. Personally i'd love to see even more holidays brought into gw2 from other cultures as we have such a diverse group of people from all over the world. I don't personally celebrate any holidays myself however I do enjoy seeing how others celebrate.

It’s people like you who are the reason why we can’t have nice things in GW2. I’m PuZzLeD that you even started a discussion about this because clearly you are new. Lunar New Year has been celebrated for a long time on this game, in fact it was also celebrated on the original Guild Wars, just with a different name. Either enjoy the festival or don’t, but it’s staying no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

I like lunar new year in gw2 but you don’t... Why should my fun be spoiled just because you don’t like it? Just stay out of divinity’s reach for the time the festival is up. Is two weeks of a festival (**A FESTIVAL- how can anyone hate something that means for more celebration and fun?**) you don’t like too much to ask?

Have you never heard of the **Chinese New Year**? If so, that's what this Lunar New Year was based on waaaaaaay back during Guild Wars: Factions when it was called the Canthan New Year. A fat Ettin's worth of people have enjoyed this for years, and I doubt that Arena Net would take something so many people enjoy out of a game just because one person has never heard of it.