Why should I pay for the story, when I already have bought both expansions?

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

>

> It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

I am not fond of the LS myself, but $20 for five zones and story doesnt seem all that excessive to me, particularly as a player could choose to discount the cost to meet their budget. $20 for a season? Maybe $10? How about paying $0? All options available to players.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

>

> It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

It's $2.50 for one episode, or about 60 Gold which is easily acquired with a month of Dailies.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> So, less than 2 months of WoW subscription? Yeah, it's soo expensive [/sarcasm].

>

I'm not a fan of WoW but to be fair subscribed MMORPG's offer a lot more than what GW2 offers, FF14 online is a VERY good example. A lot of content, a very social and populated community. It's well worth the subscription fee. If one's got the income for it. They also do the same thing as arenanet's "living story" thing too every big patch there are like a whole season's worth, of main story quests added on top of a lot of other new content.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> >

> > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

>

> I am not fond of the LS myself, but $20 for five zones and story doesnt seem all that excessive to me, particularly as a player could choose to discount the cost to meet their budget. $20 for a season? Maybe $10? How about paying $0? All options available to players.

That is assuming everyone lives in the US though. That's nearly $30 CAD. Which is a huge difference, so times 3 that would be like nearly $90 CAD for a new GW2 player. Any other MMO you could buy two full blown expansions with that money, or two or more full games in general on a sale.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> >

>

> It's $2.50 for one episode, or about 60 Gold which is easily acquired with a month of Dailies.

$3.30 for me. how does one get 60 gold with a month of dailies? i've been playing since release, 1300 hours clocked, and i've only dipped just above 100g once, i'm no hardcore farmer or anything though. And the problem is that you can't just pay that $3.30 for a single episode, you have to buy the $10 USD pack of gems. If I could just pay $3.30 for this one episode I need I would have done it.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> > So, less than 2 months of WoW subscription? Yeah, it's soo expensive [/sarcasm].

> >

>

> I'm not a fan of WoW but to be fair subscribed MMORPG's offer a lot more than what GW2 offers, FF14 online is a VERY good example. And it's well worth the subscription fee. If one's got the income for it.

>

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > >

> > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> >

> > I am not fond of the LS myself, but $20 for five zones and story doesnt seem all that excessive to me, particularly as a player could choose to discount the cost to meet their budget. $20 for a season? Maybe $10? How about paying $0? All options available to players.

>

> That is assuming everyone lives in the US though. That's nearly $30 CAD. Which is a huge difference, so times 3 that would be like nearly $90 CAD for a new GW2 player.

>

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > >

> >

> > It's $2.50 for one episode, or about 60 Gold which is easily acquired with a month of Dailies.

>

> $3.30 for me. how does one get 60 gold with a month of dailies? i've been playing since release and i've only dipped just above 100g once, i'm no hardcore farmer or anything though. And the problem is that you can't just pay that $3.30 for a single episode, you have to buy the $10 USD pack of gems. If I could just pay $3.30 for this one episode I need I would have done it.

You get 2x30 just for doing the dailys every day thats 60g, you can sell materials you buy for the laurels and the materials you get in the bags and mystic coins are over 1.2g each.

It adds up to alot bud

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> > > So, less than 2 months of WoW subscription? Yeah, it's soo expensive [/sarcasm].

> > >

> >

> > I'm not a fan of WoW but to be fair subscribed MMORPG's offer a lot more than what GW2 offers, FF14 online is a VERY good example. And it's well worth the subscription fee. If one's got the income for it.

> >

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > > >

> > > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> > >

> > > I am not fond of the LS myself, but $20 for five zones and story doesnt seem all that excessive to me, particularly as a player could choose to discount the cost to meet their budget. $20 for a season? Maybe $10? How about paying $0? All options available to players.

> >

> > That is assuming everyone lives in the US though. That's nearly $30 CAD. Which is a huge difference, so times 3 that would be like nearly $90 CAD for a new GW2 player.

> >

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > > >

> > >

> > > It's $2.50 for one episode, or about 60 Gold which is easily acquired with a month of Dailies.

> >

> > $3.30 for me. how does one get 60 gold with a month of dailies? i've been playing since release and i've only dipped just above 100g once, i'm no hardcore farmer or anything though. And the problem is that you can't just pay that $3.30 for a single episode, you have to buy the $10 USD pack of gems. If I could just pay $3.30 for this one episode I need I would have done it.

>

> You get 2x30 just for doing the dailys every day thats 60g, you can sell materials you buy for the laurels and the materials you get in the bags and mystic coins are over 1.2g each.

> It adds up to alot bud

Thanks I didn't know mystic coins were that much. There's gotta be some use for them though, I have just been hoarding them.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > So, less than 2 months of WoW subscription? Yeah, it's soo expensive [/sarcasm].

> >

>

> I'm not a fan of WoW but to be fair subscribed MMORPG's offer a lot more than what GW2 offers, FF14 online is a VERY good example. A lot of content, a very social and populated community. It's well worth the subscription fee. If one's got the income for it. They also do the same thing as arenanet's "living story" thing too every big patch there are like a whole season's worth, of main story quests added on top of a lot of other new content.

>

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > >

> >

> > I am not fond of the LS myself, but $20 for five zones and story doesnt seem all that excessive to me, particularly as a player could choose to discount the cost to meet their budget. $20 for a season? Maybe $10? How about paying $0? All options available to players.

>

> That is assuming everyone lives in the US though. That's nearly $30 CAD. Which is a huge difference, so times 3 that would be like nearly $90 CAD for a new GW2 player. Any other MMO you could buy two full blown expansions with that money, or two or more full games in general on a sale.

>

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > >

> >

> > It's $2.50 for one episode, or about 60 Gold which is easily acquired with a month of Dailies.

>

> $3.30 for me. how does one get 60 gold with a month of dailies? i've been playing since release, 1300 hours clocked, and i've only dipped just above 100g once, i'm no hardcore farmer or anything though. And the problem is that you can't just pay that $3.30 for a single episode, you have to buy the $10 USD pack of gems. If I could just pay $3.30 for this one episode I need I would have done it.

60g is the guaranteed minimum for doing dailies (2g each day) for a month (30 days) That doesnt count the value of drops earned doing the dailies nor the value of converting other daily rewards to gold. Without doing more than your dailies and converting rewards to gold you will see well over 60g. I generally get between 80 and 100g for a month of dailies.

Now, since each chapter of LS is released at least 3 months apart, you can earn enough gold for at least three chapters (more like 4 to 5) during the intended play cycle of one chapter.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > > > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> > > > So, less than 2 months of WoW subscription? Yeah, it's soo expensive [/sarcasm].

> > > >

> > >

> > > I'm not a fan of WoW but to be fair subscribed MMORPG's offer a lot more than what GW2 offers, FF14 online is a VERY good example. And it's well worth the subscription fee. If one's got the income for it.

> > >

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > > > >

> > > > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> > > >

> > > > I am not fond of the LS myself, but $20 for five zones and story doesnt seem all that excessive to me, particularly as a player could choose to discount the cost to meet their budget. $20 for a season? Maybe $10? How about paying $0? All options available to players.

> > >

> > > That is assuming everyone lives in the US though. That's nearly $30 CAD. Which is a huge difference, so times 3 that would be like nearly $90 CAD for a new GW2 player.

> > >

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > It's $2.50 for one episode, or about 60 Gold which is easily acquired with a month of Dailies.

> > >

> > > $3.30 for me. how does one get 60 gold with a month of dailies? i've been playing since release and i've only dipped just above 100g once, i'm no hardcore farmer or anything though. And the problem is that you can't just pay that $3.30 for a single episode, you have to buy the $10 USD pack of gems. If I could just pay $3.30 for this one episode I need I would have done it.

> >

> > You get 2x30 just for doing the dailys every day thats 60g, you can sell materials you buy for the laurels and the materials you get in the bags and mystic coins are over 1.2g each.

> > It adds up to alot bud

>

> Thanks I didn't know mystic coins were that much. There's gotta be some use for them though, I have just been hoarding them.

If you are struggling with getting the Living World Episodes payed with gold, any use for the mystic coins you have is far to expensive for you.

Mystic coins in general are used for crafting expensive skins and legendary items. Suffice to say, most of those items are at least hundreds of gold and above. Might as well stop hoarding and sell some. You are essentially complaining about costs which you are more than capable to cover with gold in game, but are unwilling to due to hoarding.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> I'm not a fan of WoW but to be fair subscribed MMORPG's offer a lot more than what GW2 offers, FF14 online is a VERY good example. A lot of content, a very social and populated community. It's well worth the subscription fee. If one's got the income for it.

Being well worth a subscription fee is an opinion, so it doesn't really help your argument. Many casuals that I know can very well afford a subscription model, but decide to play GW2 because it doesn't have one. It is a matter of financial cost to time cost ratio. I (and others I know) do not want to plop down $20-$30 for a month of playing when we cannot guarantee how much time we would have available to do so because of family and work responsibilities. However, we do find time once each LS release window to at least log in to open the content to make it available for when we do have the time to play it.

Additionally, if people are having difficulty purchasing LS content that they weren't able to unlock for free, how would they be able to afford a monthly subscription fee which, over time, is significantly higher?

I do agree that a subscription-based model could allow a game company to offer more than GW2, assuming that they have a large enough player base to support such a model. Personally, I would hate GW2 to adopt this which would probably force me and other casuals to leave.

> @"Sodeni.6041" said:

> It must be sooooo confusing for new players. You can't play LS season 1 at all anymore which is super bad. You have to buy both expansions for their story AND all living story chapters in between seperately. That's just not a good concept in my opinion.

There are technical reasons why LS1 is not available for play (forums search will yield those reasons). As for the rest, yeah it's subjective whether or not the business model for releasing additional chapters is a good one or not. I will agree with other posters in this thread who have said that ANet really should make it more clear for new players prior to purchase.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Sodeni.6041" said:

> > It must be sooooo confusing for new players. You can't play LS season 1 at all anymore which is super bad. You have to buy both expansions for their story AND all living story chapters in between seperately. That's just not a good concept in my opinion.

>

> There are technical reasons why LS1 is not available for play (forums search will yield those reasons). As for the rest, yeah it's subjective whether or not the business model for releasing additional chapters is a good one or not. I will agree with other posters in this thread who have said that ANet really should make it more clear for new players prior to purchase.

I know but still that doesn't change the fact that people miss out on so much important lore and information that was in LS 1. It's really weird that you straight go up to LS 2 from your personal story and don't see season 1 at all, except this short little video that you can watch.

> @"Sodeni.6041" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Sodeni.6041" said:

> > > It must be sooooo confusing for new players. You can't play LS season 1 at all anymore which is super bad. You have to buy both expansions for their story AND all living story chapters in between seperately. That's just not a good concept in my opinion.

> >

> > There are technical reasons why LS1 is not available for play (forums search will yield those reasons). As for the rest, yeah it's subjective whether or not the business model for releasing additional chapters is a good one or not. I will agree with other posters in this thread who have said that ANet really should make it more clear for new players prior to purchase.

>

> I know but still that doesn't change the fact that people miss out on so much important lore and information that was in LS 1. It's really weird that you straight go up to LS 2 from your personal story and don't see season 1 at all, except this short little video that you can watch.

Agreed.

There's sadly a lot of entitlement with this thread and using "New players" as a scapegoat for their personal gain. I took a long break from GW2 a while ago and I did not expect to get LW episodes for free. I turned in currency for gems and I bought them and now I am getting them for free because I am sticking with this game.

The whole point of Living World Episodes was to reward players who stuck/stick with GW2. If you are playing while it's introduced it's free. Loyalty rewards are fine, your loyal fanbase are the CORE not just potential new players. The prices for LW episodes is ridiculously cheap but let's say you don't want to spend real money, you can farm nearly any popular meta for a bunch of hours and have an episode. That's a small session for 1 episode that lasted for 3months+.

There's nothing really more to be said, farm istan, do your dailies, get the episodes you missed and make sure you log on for the new ones. No-one is under a detriment when farming gold has NEVER been so easy.

They're provided for free for several days, and they're advertised provided you follow the game at all. They're fairly cheap to acquire if you haven't, like others have pointed out, you can even get them by getting the gold, and then turning it to gems. If you're a pinch, sell your mystic coins and other such expensive but replenishable materials. It's also a -one time purchase- compared to MMos who Milk you in order to keep what you paid for.

Let's resume :

-Cheap

-Free to get during the Week of the release, not the day, not the hour, but Week.

-It's yours forever, on all chars

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> They're provided for free for several days, and they're advertised provided you follow the game at all. They're fairly cheap to acquire if you haven't, like others have pointed out, you can even get them by getting the gold, and then turning it to gems. If you're a pinch, sell your mystic coins and other such expensive but replenishable materials. It's also a -one time purchase- compared to MMos who Milk you in order to keep what you paid for.

>

> Let's resume :

> -Cheap

> -Free to get during the Week of the release, not the day, not the hour, but Week.

> -It's yours forever, on all chars

>

Just a small correction

-- Living World Episodes are free to all players who log in while the episode is current, not just for 1 week. For example, if you log in now, the Thunder peaks map and episode will be unlocked (though only playable if you have Path of Fire.)

"There are two methods for unlocking episodes. Episodes can be unlocked for free simply by logging in to any character during the episode's original release window. This lasts until the next episode is released; for Season 4, episodes are on a cadence to be released three months apart" GW2 Wiki

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > > > > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> > > > > So, less than 2 months of WoW subscription? Yeah, it's soo expensive [/sarcasm].

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm not a fan of WoW but to be fair subscribed MMORPG's offer a lot more than what GW2 offers, FF14 online is a VERY good example. And it's well worth the subscription fee. If one's got the income for it.

> > > >

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's really expensive for a new player too christ. It's like you gotta spend $20 USD which is like $27 CAD or something for canadian players, for one of the living story seasons.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am not fond of the LS myself, but $20 for five zones and story doesnt seem all that excessive to me, particularly as a player could choose to discount the cost to meet their budget. $20 for a season? Maybe $10? How about paying $0? All options available to players.

> > > >

> > > > That is assuming everyone lives in the US though. That's nearly $30 CAD. Which is a huge difference, so times 3 that would be like nearly $90 CAD for a new GW2 player.

> > > >

> > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > I agree it's a stupid, money grab. And the living stories are necessary for the story. I'm missing like episode 3 of the current living season, no way in hell am I going to spend like $10 just for that 1 episode so I skipped it. No idea what the new charr clan is and stuff like that. Oklahoma clan or whatever

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > It's $2.50 for one episode, or about 60 Gold which is easily acquired with a month of Dailies.

> > > >

> > > > $3.30 for me. how does one get 60 gold with a month of dailies? i've been playing since release and i've only dipped just above 100g once, i'm no hardcore farmer or anything though. And the problem is that you can't just pay that $3.30 for a single episode, you have to buy the $10 USD pack of gems. If I could just pay $3.30 for this one episode I need I would have done it.

> > >

> > > You get 2x30 just for doing the dailys every day thats 60g, you can sell materials you buy for the laurels and the materials you get in the bags and mystic coins are over 1.2g each.

> > > It adds up to alot bud

> >

> > Thanks I didn't know mystic coins were that much. There's gotta be some use for them though, I have just been hoarding them.

>

> If you are struggling with getting the Living World Episodes payed with gold, any use for the mystic coins you have is far to expensive for you.

>

> Mystic coins in general are used for crafting expensive skins and legendary items. Suffice to say, most of those items are at least hundreds of gold and above. Might as well stop hoarding and sell some. You are essentially complaining about costs which you are more than capable to cover with gold in game, but are unwilling to due to hoarding.

Well i'm not complaining about the costs for myself, I can get that one episode i'm missing if I want, which I don't think it's worth it at all. I've already spent like 1000 gems on a few living story season 3 episodes last year. I'm complaining about the costs because it's hard for NEW players to get the living story.

If I was a new player, I don't think I would purchase the living story seasons. Like the OP said, he bought both expansions already and then he has to pay even more than he did for the expansions to get the full living story up to now. And the living story is pretty much required to understand the story. Imagine if we were up to like living story season 6 already or something. It would cost like $100 for a new player on top of what he spent to buy the game and expansions.

The thing about the expansions is that they go on sale, and the living story seasons, i've only seen them go on sale like once since release I THINK, though they may have been on sale a couple times.

And farming is an option, I understand, but I think a lot of us that play GW2 only play for the story now, I only play for the story now. Farming does nothing for me except makes me feel like a robot. I don't have time for it, I work a full-time job and have other things to do, like many of us that play GW2.

I think this is what should happen going forward. After every expansion the earliest living story should be free. I mean you can't understand the story of HoT without playing season 2's living story anyways. Likewise with path of fire and living story season 3. I mean after every expansion they should be profiting a lot than they ever would with the living stories, because most of us get the living stories for free anyways.

> @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > They're provided for free for several days, and they're advertised provided you follow the game at all. They're fairly cheap to acquire if you haven't, like others have pointed out, you can even get them by getting the gold, and then turning it to gems. If you're a pinch, sell your mystic coins and other such expensive but replenishable materials. It's also a -one time purchase- compared to MMos who Milk you in order to keep what you paid for.

> >

> > Let's resume :

> > -Cheap

> > -Free to get during the Week of the release, not the day, not the hour, but Week.

> > -It's yours forever, on all chars

> >

>

> Just a small correction

> -- Living World Episodes are free to all players who log in while the episode is current, not just for 1 week. For example, if you log in now, the Thunder peaks map and episode will be unlocked (though only playable if you have Path of Fire.)

Thanks for that correction, I Always assumed it lasted only during the first Week of release, but in that case that is even better and even more of a credit to Anet for that choice.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> And farming is an option, I understand, but I think a lot of us that play GW2 only play for the story now, I only play for the story now. Farming does nothing for me except makes me feel like a robot. I don't have time for it, I work a full-time job and have other things to do, like many of us that play GW2.

Simply logging in and doing the daily rewards the player with enough gold to convert to gems in just a month's time. This point has been made more than once in this thread alone.

I also have a full time job, family, extra-curricular activities to attend with my child and so on. Still, I am able to find time to do the daily even if I don't do it every day. Most dailies can be accomplished in mere minutes -- if it appears to me that it would take longer than I have time, then I skip it until the next daily. I am probably one of the most casual players in the game (thus my signature).

If one doesn't have the time to do the daily then I would question whether one would have time to do LS chapters in the first place. This is not directed at you Squirrel; I just quoted a portion of your point to try and make mine.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

>

> > And farming is an option, I understand, but I think a lot of us that play GW2 only play for the story now, I only play for the story now. Farming does nothing for me except makes me feel like a robot. I don't have time for it, I work a full-time job and have other things to do, like many of us that play GW2.

>

> Simply logging in and doing the daily rewards the player with enough gold to convert to gems in just a month's time. This point has been made more than once in this thread alone.

>

> I also have a full time job, family, extra-curricular activities to attend with my child and so on. Still, I am able to find time to do the daily even if I don't do it every day. Most dailies can be accomplished in mere minutes -- if it appears to me that it would take longer than I have time, then I skip it until the next daily. I am probably one of the most casual players in the game (thus my signature).

>

> If one doesn't have the time to do the daily then I would question whether one would have time to do LS chapters in the first place. This is not directed at you Squirrel; I just quoted a portion of your point to try and make mine.

Yeah I don't mean to argue either, as one casual player to another, I respect what you think about the topic. I just think it's unfair for new players, i'm trying to put myself in THEIR perspective, i've got most of the living stories for free and can buy them myself, but for new players, I don't think it's fair for them. I totally understand what OP is saying and is frustrated about. I'd feel like I only paid for half the game.

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > @"Rabbi Rick.3194" said:

> > > @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > > They're provided for free for several days, and they're advertised provided you follow the game at all. They're fairly cheap to acquire if you haven't, like others have pointed out, you can even get them by getting the gold, and then turning it to gems. If you're a pinch, sell your mystic coins and other such expensive but replenishable materials. It's also a -one time purchase- compared to MMos who Milk you in order to keep what you paid for.

> > >

> > > Let's resume :

> > > -Cheap

> > > -Free to get during the Week of the release, not the day, not the hour, but Week.

> > > -It's yours forever, on all chars

> > >

> >

> > Just a small correction

> > -- Living World Episodes are free to all players who log in while the episode is current, not just for 1 week. For example, if you log in now, the Thunder peaks map and episode will be unlocked (though only playable if you have Path of Fire.)

>

> Thanks for that correction, I Always assumed it lasted only during the first Week of release, but in that case that is even better and even more of a credit to Anet for that choice.

So Log in once every 2-3 months to get the current living story episode for free.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> Yeah I don't mean to argue either, as one casual player to another, I respect what you think about the topic. I just think it's unfair for new players, i'm trying to put myself in THEIR perspective, i've got most of the living stories for free and can buy them myself, but for new players, I don't think it's fair for them.

I can appreciate your point but I'm not finding it unfair when it is the model that Anet chooses to use. I absolutely agree with other posters who have said that Anet should make it more clear as to what is included with purchases and what isn't. It's almost a bait-and-switch tactic. I think if it were more clear, then we wouldn't have this uproar.

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> They're provided for free for several days, and they're advertised provided you follow the game at all. They're fairly cheap to acquire if you haven't, like others have pointed out, you can even get them by getting the gold, and then turning it to gems. If you're a pinch, sell your mystic coins and other such expensive but replenishable materials. It's also a -one time purchase- compared to MMos who Milk you in order to keep what you paid for.

>

> Let's resume :

> -Cheap

> -Free to get during the Week of the release, not the day, not the hour, but Week.

> -It's yours forever, on all chars

>

To clarify, it's not free for a week. Players logging in during the _entire_ release period of an episode will unlock that episode. An episodes release period is from the point when it is released to the point when the next episode is released, usually about three months at the current rate.

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

>

> Actually, I was since the beginning talking about access to game content, mostly story and how current business model is hurting delivery of the same, especially for new/returning players. What you just said is exactly what I'm saying from the start.

>

>

> I'm the one arguing that game would be better with some kind of subscription model, and that gemstore isnt making enoughmoney for Anet. But sure, i guess Im just asking for free stuff. /s

You are arguing that new users having to pay an additional cost for living season episodes in addition to purchasing expansions is "hurting delivery," but then posit that having a monthly subscription would resolve the "problem"? I hope I am not creating a straw man of your argument but if I understand you right, this argument is nonsensical.

As you present it, the additional cost/fee for the downloadable content (dlc) is the problem. Looking at other major genre alternatives, the basic subscription model is $15/month. Now, if someone bought the expansions, and then spent $15/month for 3 months (3600 gems), that would buy them all the living story seasons and episodes and still have a few gems left over to splurge on some convenience items, etc. After that they need never pay another month's "subscription."

I have no disagreement that Anet's marketing team could do a better job framing & communicating the issue with living stories, and bundle options at purchase are probably a great idea. Moving to a subscription model is not.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> I just think it's unfair for new players, i'm trying to put myself in THEIR perspective, i've got most of the living stories for free and can buy them myself, but for new players, I don't think it's fair for them.

Except it is. Remember, they most probably bought the game at a heavy discount. And they didn't need to pay for core. Even when adding up LS price, new players financially are still ahead compared to veterans. I'd say it's more than fair.

Not seeing the argument for making this game sub based on the fact that you are complaining about a one off payment to some content that, as long as you login from this moment onwards, will be free for you. Where is that logic? Don't want to pay 200 gems a story but oh i'll gladly pay ten dollars a month. K.

I got season 2 I believe on both accounts as a bundle on the gem store, had to buy a whole new season 3 on my second.

I paid 120 pounds for two games at the very start (one for me one a present for my hubby) then realized the game made me sick so was out of the loop for a good few years, so if you think a small charge sucks think again.