Please monitor map chat its out of control.

Tiviana.2650

I dont know if its the influx of wow players but map chat in LA esp has become down right vile. Its like trade chat in wow now, full of political trolls, racists, vulgarity, i can post screenshots if you want. There has been a huge upswing over the last month or so in this kind of stuff. I think you need to start monitoring it, as a player i cant spam report all these people, and its ridiculous to try. Its ruining the wonderful community feel of GW2, and turning it into a wow troll platform. One other thing, these players think because they ruined wow like this and got away with it, that they can get away with it here also.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report individuals as it happens. Or if you feel it's especially vile, then submit a support ticket with (a) screenshots of the relevant chat and (b) a brief, neutral explanation of why you feel it's inappropriate (since it won't go without saying). ANet's usually pretty good about taking care of it.

However, keep in mind just because you (or I) feel something is inappropriate doesn't mean that ANet will agree. ANet tends to allow for some wiggle room, so we might draw the line different from how they choose to.

> @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> I dont know if its the influx of wow players but map chat in LA esp has become down right vile. Its like trade chat in wow now, full of political trolls, racists, vulgarity, i can post screenshots if you want. There has been a huge upswing over the last month or so in this kind of stuff. I think you need to start monitoring it, as a player i cant spam report all these people, and its ridiculous to try. Its ruining the wonderful community feel of GW2, and turning it into a wow troll platform. One other thing, these players think because they ruined wow like this and got away with it, that they can get away with it here also.

The only thing you can really do is report as many of them as you can, and after you report someone, block them. It helps to have the social window open and when you block them, right click on their name and set a nickname that lets you remember why you blocked them (the field is limited, so you might simply add "T" for troll, or something like that).

Reporting rarely leads to any results. Even when Anet steps in, the bans are not permanent, and the individuals have about the same percentage chance of changing their ways as the chance of dropping two precursors in a row. Fortunately they tend to leave for a while when new games come out, and there are a few new titles coming out soon.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Report individuals as it happens. Or if you feel it's especially vile, then submit a support ticket with (a) screenshots of the relevant chat and (b) a brief, neutral explanation of why you feel it's inappropriate (since it won't go without saying). ANet's usually pretty good about taking care of it.

>

> However, keep in mind just because you (or I) feel something is inappropriate doesn't mean that ANet will agree. ANet tends to allow for some wiggle room, so we might draw the line different from how they choose to.

Right i get it, but i think some of this stuff crosses the line.

As Ill said, not much else to do than keep blocking, reporting and moving on. Moving on can mean two things here: 1)Stay in LA, blocking and reporting anything that offends you, or 2)move to a different map with a friendlier mapchat. DR has also very convenient locations for crafting and trading as well as the Grove or Ebonhawk. Then there are also the lounges, but access is bound to gemshop items, so that might not be an option for you.

So instead of just ignoring or blocking, you want Anet to come in with a draconian sledge hammer and just start removing "problematic" users based on what? They said something in map chat? If they violate code of conduct, report, block, and move on. You have the power to make your own safe space, you don't need Anet to do it for you.

I do understand that some people have “different tastes” when it comes to likes, dislikes etc. But most map chat I see is real tame. There’s only a few times that I’ve thought that something crosses a boundary of what should be publicly said or not. A lot of the time I can shrug things off.

If you feel something shouldn’t be in mapchat, do report it, but heavily gauge it first, otherwise you’ll be banned for abusing the report options.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> I do understand that some people have “different tastes” when it comes to likes, dislikes etc. But most map chat I see is real tame. There’s only a few times that I’ve thought that something crosses a boundary of what should be publicly said or not. A lot of the time I can shrug things off.

> If you feel something shouldn’t be in mapchat, do report it, **but heavily gauge it first, otherwise you’ll be banned for abusing the report options**.

That is absolute nonsense. You will NOT get in trouble for reporting people using hate speech, racial slurs, or even swear words. On the contrary, we have all ben explicitly encouraged to do so and let the staff decide if it is bad enough to take action. Do not fearmonger people into not reporting inappropriate language.

>@"Gaile Gray.6029" said as far back as 2015:

>I strongly recommend that everyone use the in-game report system to help make the game a better place to be. We take reports seriously and we appreciate the assistance of our community members!

Maybe read this thread, in which Gaile Gray made several posts (including the above quote) and told us to absolutely use the report function. Even the simple usage of the f-word is enough to warrant a report. The staff will check what was actually said and sort it out. -> [link to statement in thread about vulgar language](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/page/2#post4929220 "link to statement in thread about vulgar language")

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> Maybe read this thread, in which Gaile Gray made several posts (including the above quote) and told us to absolutely use the report function. Even the simple usage of the f-word is enough to warrant a report. The staff will check what was actually said and sort it out. -> https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/page/2#post4929220[link to statement in thread about vulgar language](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/page/2#post4929220 "link to statement in thread about vulgar language")

Thank you for posting this link. Earlier in the GW2 subreddit someone said she was tired of creepers, to use her word, sending her messages like "I bet you have cute feet" and I recommended she report them, like I do for "I'm not racist but I think they should bring back eugenics"-type trollish map chat spam.

It's good to read Gaile Gray's views on it - report it and let the professionals make a call as to whether it's out of line.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> If you feel something shouldn’t be in mapchat, do report it, **but heavily gauge it first, otherwise you’ll be banned for abusing the report options**.

>

> You will NOT get in trouble for reporting people using hate speech, racial slurs, or even swear words.

To clarify: you won't get punished for using the tool in good faith.

* ANet encourages people to report chat they think crosses the line to inappropriate.

* ANet reserves the right to decide what is or isn't allowed, which will mean sometimes people are allowed to say stuff you wouldn't allow in your home, and sometimes you might not be allowed to say something you might type to your grandma.

* ANet will also go after people who _abuse_ the report system, but that's very unlikely to affect anyone participating in this thread.

Abusing the report system would include things like reporting for no cause to grief the alleged violator, spamming reports, organizing a witch hunt to get people to report, lying to try to get someone suspended, and so on.

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > If you feel something shouldn’t be in mapchat, do report it, **but heavily gauge it first, otherwise you’ll be banned for abusing the report options**.

> >

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > You will NOT get in trouble for reporting people using hate speech, racial slurs, or even swear words.

>

> To clarify: you won't get punished for using the tool in good faith.

>

> * ANet encourages people to report chat they think crosses the line to inappropriate.

> * ANet reserves the right to decide what is or isn't allowed, which will mean sometimes people are allowed to say stuff you wouldn't allow in your home, and sometimes you might not be allowed to say something you might type to your grandma.

> * ANet will also go after people who _abuse_ the report system, but that's very unlikely to affect anyone participating in this thread.

>

> Abusing the report system would include things like reporting for no cause to grief the alleged violator, spamming reports, organizing a witch hunt to get people to report, lying to try to get someone suspended, and so on.

Yes, in good faith. If you’re account regularly uses the report tool, you must actually use it properly, which was my point.

Of course you should use it when something is said that is against the games age rating/racist/homophobic/abusive etc. But, just because a conversation isn’t to a particular players taste doesn’t mean it’s offensive. Which was my point.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:But, just because a conversation isn’t to a particular players taste doesn’t mean it’s offensive. Which was my point.

But no one is going to get suspended for reporting someone when ANet disagrees about where to draw that line.

> you must actually use it properly,

"Properly," in this case, means without malice. You don't need to check your gut instinct for accuracy against social norms before reporting.

> That is absolute nonsense. You will NOT get in trouble for reporting people using hate speech, racial slurs, or even swear words. On the contrary, we have all ben explicitly encouraged to do so and let the staff decide if it is bad enough to take action. Do not fearmonger people into not reporting inappropriate language.

>

Serious question, I understand reporting the first two but why on earth do people report for swearing? The game has a profanity filter, which is by default ON until you turn off. Sure if people are mis-spelling to get around the filter but really? Turning off your filter then reporting for profanity? Why?

> @"Gulbasaur.1865" said:

> > Maybe read this thread, in which Gaile Gray made several posts (including the above quote) and told us to absolutely use the report function. Even the simple usage of the f-word is enough to warrant a report. The staff will check what was actually said and sort it out. -> https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/page/2#post4929220[link to statement in thread about vulgar language](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/page/2#post4929220 "link to statement in thread about vulgar language")

>

> Thank you for posting this link. Earlier in the GW2 subreddit someone said she was tired of creepers, to use her word, sending her messages like "I bet you have cute feet" and I recommended she report them, like I do for "I'm not racist but I think they should bring back eugenics"-type trollish map chat spam.

>

> It's good to read Gaile Gray's views on it - report it and let the professionals make a call as to whether it's out of line.

Your friend need to grow a thicker skin and mess with them so they stop.

Thank them and send them a picture of some hobbits feet =)

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > That is absolute nonsense. You will NOT get in trouble for reporting people using hate speech, racial slurs, or even swear words. On the contrary, we have all ben explicitly encouraged to do so and let the staff decide if it is bad enough to take action. Do not fearmonger people into not reporting inappropriate language.

> >

> Serious question, I understand reporting the first two but why on earth do people report for swearing? The game has a profanity filter, which is by default ON until you turn off. Sure if people are mis-spelling to get around the filter but really? Turning off your filter then reporting for profanity? Why?

The profanity filter, as ANet has said numerous times, is not a license to swear; it's there for those people who don't want to ever see that sort of language, whether allowed or not.

ANet does allow some amount of cursing, on the level of "OUCH! I stubbed my toe," e.g. the bowdlerized version of "dogdang ducking raptors in Verdant Brink ." They are willing to give people the benefit of the doubt that sometimes, your internal filter can't stop you in time.

The are other times when the exact same word might be okay in one sentence, but not in the next, e.g. if someone replied to the above exclamation, "git gud you ducking tryhard," then ANet would draw a different conclusion.

The tl;dr is: don't swear either

(but don't worry too much if you do so occasionally; ANet makes allowances)

> The profanity filter, as ANet has said numerous times, is not a license to swear [...]

Thanks @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" like always spot on :)

And at @"Celsith.2753" : Just click the link I provided and scroll down 10 centimeters to Gaile Gray's next post where she sepecifically adressed what you were asking about with pretty clear words in answer to someone inquiring about cursing with the f-word because in his eyes people who don't want to see it should enable the filter.

> Just click the link I provided and scroll down 10 centimeters to Gaile Gray's next post where she sepecifically adressed what you were asking about with pretty clear words in answer to someone inquiring about cursing with the f-word because in his eyes people who don't want to see it should enable the filter.

[For those who don't want to click](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/4929239):

> @"Behellagh.1468" wrote

> It’s not there so players are free to use vulgar and profane language.

> https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Why-is-there-a-Profanity-Filter/first#post4436966

> @"Donut.6914" wrote

> Then what is it for? I say the f-word in almost every single sentence I make. That’s how I grew up, that’s who I am, that’s the way I speak. Many many people have blocked me because they don’t like to hear the f-word so much. I understand and respect that, but I am never going to stop saying it because of how others feel. That’s what the filter/block is for.

> [Gaile](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Gaile-Gray-6029)

> No, you’re absolutely wrong. **If you have so little self control that you can’t avoid saying a word that is offensive to a majority of people, then stop talking in the game.** It’s that simple. You do not have a license to swear because of the filter. You do not have permission to offend others because of a lack of self-control, or your personal belief system, or your feeling of an inherent right to do as you want.

>

> Our games are played on private game servers, and everyone who plays our game — everyone — agrees to abide by the User Agreement and the Rules of Conduct. If you cannot uphold the agreement that you freely accepted in order to join our game then again, I encourage you not to use any of the public chat channels but instead restrict yourself to those that are of a private nature, such as party chat amongst like-minded friends.

(**emphasis** added)

[And her subsequent post](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/4929262):

> [Gaile](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Gaile-Gray-6029)

>

> Having reread the thread, I see a few different things:

> * Some players, like me, only rarely see extreme instances of offensive behavior.

> * Some players don’t see issues at all.

> * Some feel they see them daily and have modified their game experiences to avoid such instances.

> * Some say “Buck up and ignore it.”

> * Others say, “I have a god-given right to offend you, and you have no right to complain.”

> End of the day, **why don’t we let the professionals decide?** Why don’t each of you who see offensive chat report it and **let the moderation team make a decision** about the overall offensiveness of a word or phrase in the context of the game. The team is not draconian, they understand the difference between a word spoken in the heat of the moment and a pattern of abusive language. Report and forget and trust that things will be taken care of in the best and more fair manner possible.

(**emphasis** added)