New Race as an instant 80

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > At this point, Anet is better off trying to add combat tonics in the game and allow players to earn skins for these combat tonics.

>

> You mean earn another combat tonic right? since they are onesies just like outfits.

Yeah exactly.

Just imagine: we get a Canthan expansion. You finished all the story, got all achievements and masteries. Here is your final reward: a tengu tonic. That would be dope.

> @"Dragana.1497" said:

> I prefer them paying attention and fleshing out the existing playable races before they add new ones. Kitten knows they need it.

They've had years to do so and haven't done so, they haven't improved on anything from the vanilla game. We're better off with a new race where they can flesh out from the start.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search?Search=new+race

>

> These thread will never stop, will they?

All it shows is that there is an overwhelming amount of demand for it from the fans.

Demands generally never stop until the demand is met.

Regardless of reasons, all this means is that it IS the most requested feature currently and bulk is how you get the message across.

Yeah I love when at least, npc take in account your race or personnal story choice like thunderhead keep quest "motivating soldiers". But I would extand the concept further: If you use a combat tonic turning yourself into let's say, nightmare courtier, what are they still taking you as ennemies? Tonics should act like disguise. (Cf bitterfrost frontier svanir quest and lake doric fort evonia quest)

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > Not an argument for or against, but one of the obstacles was our relation with Aurene , and that problem *resolved itself*

>

> aurene was never an obstacle to new races.

bonus post because can't edit posts.

as far as story is concerned anet has 2 options (that i can see) eiter they have the new race go through the same motions as the vanilla races or they would give the new race a new personal story where they become the commander. in neither situation would aurene be a problem

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > Not an argument for or against, but one of the obstacles was our relation with Aurene , and that problem *resolved itself*

> >

> > aurene was never an obstacle to new races.

>

> bonus post because can't edit posts.

>

> as far as story is concerned anet has 2 options (that i can see) eiter they have the new race go through the same motions as the vanilla races or they would give the new race a new personal story where they become the commander. in neither situation would aurene be a problem

As long as aurene was part of the group, a new race can't join the story because we're soulbound to aurene.

The pact or destiny edge was never so much a problem as a new race could've joined later. Given, anet would've had to write seperate dialogue for an entire season.

Being the commander was never the problem, aurene herself was.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > Not an argument for or against, but one of the obstacles was our relation with Aurene , and that problem *resolved itself*

> > >

> > > aurene was never an obstacle to new races.

> >

> > bonus post because can't edit posts.

> >

> > as far as story is concerned anet has 2 options (that i can see) eiter they have the new race go through the same motions as the vanilla races or they would give the new race a new personal story where they become the commander. in neither situation would aurene be a problem

>

> As long as aurene was part of the group, a new race can't join the story because we're soulbound to aurene.

>

>

> The pact or destiny edge was never so much a problem as a new race could've joined later. Given, anet would've had to write seperate dialogue for an entire season.

>

> Being the commander was never the problem, aurene herself was.

(So a unique story had to be written today explained how we got into LS2, HoT and subsequently LS3.)

And you're right, the edit option is gone.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > Not an argument for or against, but one of the obstacles was our relation with Aurene , and that problem *resolved itself*

> > >

> > > aurene was never an obstacle to new races.

> >

> > bonus post because can't edit posts.

> >

> > as far as story is concerned anet has 2 options (that i can see) eiter they have the new race go through the same motions as the vanilla races or they would give the new race a new personal story where they become the commander. in neither situation would aurene be a problem

>

> As long as aurene was part of the group, a new race can't join the story because we're soulbound to aurene.

>

> The pact or destiny edge was never so much a problem as a new race could've joined later. Given, anet would've had to write seperate dialogue for an entire season.

>

> Being the commander was never the problem, aurene herself was.

>

> (So a unique story had to be written today explained how we got into LS2, HoT and subsequently LS3.)

>

> And you're right, the edit option is gone.

or they could have the soulbinding stuff happen on a later date for non-vanila races.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Unfortunately, posts like the original one here keep coming up in which folks ignore cost & effort issues (including ones that ANet has highlighted).

Posts like the original one? Perhaps you want to read the OP?

I just did and I a don't see where they "ignore cost and effort". Is merely "here's a way to monetize a new race slot".

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

>Worsehen people want to gut the core of an idea to get a watered down version of ... something, without realizing that even then it's still not necessarily "affordable." Reducing spending is good; eliminating core concepts at the same time makes the cost:benefit analysis worse, not better :(

Perhaps from your perspective. From mine, this is a public forum meant to discuss things related to the game. I don't see any harm discussing an idea to adding races if the alternative is nothing. In the situation of the decision of eating something plain and bland or going to sleep hungry, I don't see a problem with considering rationing what we have and budgeting to get anything at all to eat.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> As much as I want playable Tengu...

> Even with an instant-80 that skips the main story...

>

> There would still need to be Season 2/HoT/3/PoF/4 and beyond voice acting. Or a lock-out on being able to select those story chapters. They would still have to voice dungeons. And re-fit everything from Charr to Tengu.

>

If I were implementing a new race, there would indeed be a lock-out of the previous story chapters. There would be a 2-4 chapter "[new race] Personal Story" that would explain this. It'd be an introductory story + racial lore + alternate perspective of current events that would then mesh with the main story toward the end. It's already been established that most people don't need to retrace the old stories because the dialog cannot be skipped so there's really no need to rehash it for the new race to fit into it.

This would have the negative effect of not being able to complete certain achievements using that character but if it's advertised as such, this shouldn't be a negative that directly affects the implementation.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> It really sucks to admit, but just shaving off some story won't be enough to justify all the persistent costs: 8-12 new voice actors (region x m/f), more time spent on armor sets when they're already slow to produce.

>

I feel this is a hole Anet dug themselves in. The hilarious thing is people still criticize the voiced dialog pretty harshly anyway and it is costing them a chunk of their budget regardless. I'm actually thinking they didn't know the metric ton of additional work they were volunteering for initially and had to start back-tracking in other areas to make up for their goal of all voice acting lines.

The funny thing is, voice-overs (or at least 100% VO) isn't a requirement for a game to be renowned or prestigious. Even Square-Enix knew giving voice to your character would present problems and chose a different work-around and it is the highest ranked modern MMO on the market.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> Will say it again. MAKE THEM AS COMBAT TONICS all done, I enjoy a lot the endless kodan tonic.

I'll add to that: MAKE SOME TONICS CUSTOMIZABLE.

On top of that, improvements need to be made to tonics in general for that to be an "all done" solution.

> @"Dragana.1497" said:

> I prefer them paying attention and fleshing out the existing playable races before they add new ones. Kitten knows they need it.

I think that's a viable perspective but these races don't exist in a vacuum. Fleshing out the playable races requires fleshing out the world as a whole as well as their interactions within it. Frankly, having just more insight on the other races and interactions with the main races could help facilitate some of the desire for lore without the need to make them playable. Regardless, it's not an either or game with this. You could add a new race, for example, AND flesh out the existing ones in the same implemented content.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > At this point, Anet is better off trying to add combat tonics in the game and allow players to earn skins for these combat tonics.

>

> You mean earn another combat tonic right? since they are onesies just like outfits.

But outfits aren't onesies. You can color outfits, for one. You can also turn off the helm for outfits, for two. And your character shows up under that outfit, for three.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > Will say it again. MAKE THEM AS COMBAT TONICS all done, I enjoy a lot the endless kodan tonic.

>

> I'll add to that: MAKE SOME TONICS CUSTOMIZABLE.

>

> On top of that, improvements need to be made to tonics in general for that to be an "all done" solution.

Yeah I dunno if it's possible, like changing your appearance + selecting armor color, eventually male/female.

But since it's old magic and clunky gears, editing tonics may be hard.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> I'm also going with Tengu as the fan favorite for a new race and a race that fits the Cantha story best since that's where they're from, so we'll just assume this is the one we get.

Uhm, as much as I would **love** to finally have a new playable race added (especially the tengu), what gives you the idea ANet will ever make players' dream of new playable races come true?

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> Will say it again. MAKE THEM AS COMBAT TONICS all done, I enjoy a lot the endless kodan tonic.

Not the same thing. All tengus then look alike, don't they? Plus, having a "tengu" with a human, norn, charr, asuran or sylvari name looks a bit silly. ;)

The story follows the commander, so for a new race to start right at level 80 and not have previous story, it would either have to have no story, replace the previous commander in the story and then continue the story from there, or have an unique non-commander story. Or have the commander story end, and call the commander something else that anyone could be from that point in the story.

Like having a contest to ascend at the ruins of the Battle Isles, and from then on the main character is called "Ascendant". If the ascendant is a tengu, then for tengu commander loses against the player and becomes an NPC.

> > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > Will say it again. MAKE THEM AS COMBAT TONICS all done, I enjoy a lot the endless kodan tonic.

>

> Not the same thing. All tengus then look alike, don't they? Plus, having a "tengu" with a human, norn, charr, asuran or sylvari name looks a bit silly. ;)

Tengu are a highly varied race. They only made the eagle-like Caromi and Quetzal versions in GW1, but there's also Avicara and Sensali.

Unlike kodan, grawl and dredge who look mostly the same, artwork shows there could be tengu with countless variations of plumage, heads, crests, tusks and patterns.

![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/7f/C4_Tengu_concept_art.jpg "")

Because of that making them just a tonic would be rather insulting. So while I'm not against tengu tonics, having tengu tonics should mean that tengu will never be added. Just like there's tonics that can turn you into character of other races like Arkk.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > I'm also going with Tengu as the fan favorite for a new race and a race that fits the Cantha story best since that's where they're from, so we'll just assume this is the one we get.

>

> Uhm, as much as I would **love** to finally have a new playable race added (especially the tengu), what gives you the idea ANet will ever make players' dream of new playable races come true?

I don't, this was about a what if, and if this course would be effective, viable, reasonable.

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > > Will say it again. MAKE THEM AS COMBAT TONICS all done, I enjoy a lot the endless kodan tonic.

> >

> > Not the same thing. All tengus then look alike, don't they? Plus, having a "tengu" with a human, norn, charr, asuran or sylvari name looks a bit silly. ;)

>

> Tengu are a highly varied race. [...]

Exactly what I was expressing with my criticism of hugo's post.