Should I get both HoT and PoF?

Stopped playing gw2 a while ago since I got almost everything I ever wanted in the vanilla game and was interested in buying HoT when it was new but I had no money, I can buy them both now and was wondering if theyre worth it and if theres anything interesting to do in the expansions.

Any input would be great.

If you only get PoF, then (iirc) you don't unlock the HoT specific things like e.g. gliding. So, I'd say if you want to get into GW again then you should definitely buy both.

But only you can decide, if it is worth it. With HoT they introduced a new class (revenant), the mastery system (like gliding), raids, 4 new maps + 6 living story and FotM has been reworked completely (any many new ones have been added). With PoF, they added mounts (finally :-)), 5 new maps + 5 living story (so far), more masteries and more raid wings and new fractals. And of course, in both expansions there a a new specialization per class.

In terms of WvW they just added a new map and masteries and in sPvP, they only added new maps and automated tournaments but so far no new game mod (even if they experimented with 2v2).

I hope I didn't forget anything. For me, the game is still much fun. But that's just my two cents.

_Edit: Corrected a typo_

> @"Ninjaskillz.7824" said:

> Stopped playing gw2 a while ago since I got almost everything I ever wanted in the vanilla game and was interested in buying HoT when it was new but I had no money, I can buy them both now and was wondering if theyre worth it and if theres anything interesting to do in the expansions.

>

> Any input would be great.

- story

- elite specializations

- new maps

- mounts

- gliding

- a ton of collections and achievements

- character progression in form of masteries

That's the general overview of things. Obviously other things like T2 legendaries, raids etc.

They both add a lot of content, so you'd have many more things to keep you entertained with the game. If you find a good discount (sometimes they are at 30€ both) I suggest you to buy them both, if you like the game, the price is definitely worth. If you find them at regular price, you can also buy just 1 for now. You should have enough things to do with 1 expansion, while the other one gets a discount.

(personally I like HoT much more and never go to the PoF maps. But the mounts are very useful everywhere)

@"Ninjaskillz.7824" Bear in mind a few things about the mounts:

* Once you unlock access to a mount on one character, all your characters can use it, even level 2 characters that have just finished the starter instance.

* You can only unlock access to mounts by playing the game. The mount-related stuff you see in the Gem Store is just skins, not actual mounts.

* You cannot use mounts in instanced content (story instances, for example) from before the launch of Path of Fire.

* There are places in the open world where you cannot use mounts, most notably in jumping puzzles.

* Despite all that, they are the mostest aweomest bestest mounts you'll find in any MMORPG, with no exceptions, not even for people who like riding rancors in SWTOR.

If you buy from ArenaNet, it's $50 for the 'Collection' (Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns), or $30 each separately.

If you are interested in Story and more maps, it behooves you to buy both.

As mentioned above, each expansion offers content not found in the other.

You can learn all about what each expansion offers in the Wiki (link above).

Good luck.

And yet again, nobody mentions that there are 3 Living World seasons in between the core game and expansions and that the OP would miss out on a lot of story and content if they only got the expansions.

@"Ninjaskillz.7824": This is the chronological order of content packages:

* Core game

* Season 1 (not available for replay, but there is a [summarizing movie](

"summarizing movie") you can watch)

* Season 2

* Heart of Thorns expansion

* Season 3

* Path of Fire expansion

* Season 4 (current one)

Besides story content, the Living World seasons provide content that is worth having access to, like ascended trinkets and back pieces you can farm, the Roller Beetle mount, ...

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> And yet again, nobody mentions that there are 3 Living World seasons in between the core game and expansions and that the OP would miss out on a lot of story and content if they only got the expansions.

>

> @"Ninjaskillz.7824": This is the chronological order of content packages:

> * Core game

> * Season 1 (not available for replay, but there is a [summarizing movie](

> * Season 2

> * Heart of Thorns expansion

> * Season 3

> * Path of Fire expansion

> * Season 4 (current one)

>

> Besides story content, the Living World seasons provide content that is worth having access to, like ascended trinkets and back pieces you can farm, the Roller Beetle mount, ...

Because those would have to be purchased ( most secondary to some pof ones currently being active) separately with gems.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> Because those would have to be purchased ( most secondary to some pof ones currently being active) separately with gems.

**Exactly.** That is **why** the OP should get informed. I don't want to see yet another thread where somebody complains they did not get the LW content for free when buying the expansion(s).

Did I not phrase it in a comprehensive way when I wrote:

> And yet again, nobody mentions that there are 3 Living World seasons in between the core game and expansions and **that the OP would miss out on a lot of story and content if they only got the expansions**.

> [...]

> And yet again, nobody mentions that there are 3 Living World seasons in between the core game and expansions and that the OP would miss out on a lot of story and content if they only got the expansions.

>

> @"Ninjaskillz.7824": This is the chronological order of content packages:

> * Core game

> * Season 1 (not available for replay, but there is a [summarizing movie](

> * Season 2

> * Heart of Thorns expansion

> * Season 3

> * Path of Fire expansion

> * Season 4 (current one)

>

> Besides story content, the Living World seasons provide content that is worth having access to, like ascended trinkets and back pieces you can farm, the Roller Beetle mount, ...

1 billion percent this. Season 2 also provides a learning curve into HoT which is significantly more challenging than core Tyria

For those who are less story oriented/driven, season 3 adds a lot of gear related content, making it easy to acquire Ascended tier trinkets, back items and underwater breathers. Season 4 provides easier access to PoF stats and a unique mount and mount based skills through a mastery. Season 2 provides a long story and a couple sets of armor skins. I personally don’t see the value in season 2 that I find in the others, although from posts it would appear that mine is an unusual view.

It is hard to tell which expansion you would get more mileage out of without knowing your preferences, but going by practical benefits only I would have to say that both expansions offer a good value for your money. The elite-specs alone are game changing. Add gliding (HoT) and mounts (PoF) and you are suddenly dealing with a situation where you have a lot of stuff that you maybe never knew you wanted but would never want to miss again.

And if you have any interest in story content, new maps, ascended gear and generally just some nice spots for accumulating wealth you might want to invest in the living story seasons, too.

If you aren't too picky about the story or spoilers, one option is to just get the LS4.1 map, Istan, as it's one of the most profitable farms still out there.

You can but the LS chapters (and maps) one by one by simply accumulating gold and changing it to gems. Each map costs 200 gems, which is totally attainable within a month of casual play (or much less time if you farm seriously for it).

The other choice is to go fractals, have a main that you plan to take all the way to T4,and you'll be getting quite a bit of money from the daily recommendations.

If you don't care for the story, playing the expansions to amass wealth and buy access to more maps would probably he a worthwhile goal.

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> If you aren't too picky about the story or spoilers, one option is to just get the LS4.1 map, Istan, as it's one of the most profitable farms still out there.

>

> You can but the LS chapters (and maps) one by one by simply accumulating gold and changing it to gems. Each map costs 200 gems, which is totally attainable within a month of casual play (or much less time if you farm seriously for it).

>

> The other choice is to go fractals, have a main that you plan to take all the way to T4,and you'll be getting quite a bit of money from the daily recommendations.

>

> If you don't care for the story, playing the expansions to amass wealth and buy access to more maps would probably he a worthwhile goal.

Of course, you would need to purchase Path of Fire to access Living World Season 4 Episode 1; you can buy single Living World Season Episodes, but you must have purchased the associated expansion to access them.