Remove damage from overload and add supportive effects, your opinion?

Arheundel.6451

I was thinking of changing Tempest to an entirely support elite , something that turns ele into a support power house ( in a balanced state ) , there is weaver and core ele to cover the offensive side so...it would make sense in my opinion.

I'll make it simple : **Just remove any damage component from Overload air-fire and earth and add defensive effects**

-Air overload- Increase your allies attack rate by 25% while decreasing enemies attack rate by the same percentage

-Earth overload - Applies 1 stack of stab to close allies each second / also applies 100 toughness

-Fire overload - reduce condition damage by 33% in a 360 radius

-Additional suggestion-

1) Harmonius conduit applies 3 stacks of stab on overload use **(10% dmg increase on overload removed)** swap places with Hardy conduit

2) Tempestuous Aura - weakness duration increased to 8s, each aura gain additional effects :

Feel the burn now applies blind

Flash freeze applies slow

Aftershock knockdown enemies for 4s in 180 radius - 2 in 360 radius and 1s 600 radius

Your opinion and suggestions?

Fresh Air Tempest is my most enjoyable and relaxing PvE build, and it's possible that plenty of others feel the same, considering that the Elementalist class is generally stressful there, but its tempest spec not as much.

Sword Weaver is more focused on single-target/ small-scale AoE, and significantly harder to survive. Staff Nuker is/ was effective, but with a somewhat bland playstyle, as some of its most interesting skills/ combos are more effective in WvW while being nearly ignored in PvE.

In contrast, Fresh Air Tempest can attune to all elements without sacrificing their main damage sources (as it is with all FA builds), they can churn large AoE damage while being always on the move, and they have decent to high empowered protection upkeep, plus stability. Their off-hand options are also flexible enough to allow you to pick your favourite playstyles (dagger mobility combos vs warhorn additional AoE nuking and great 10-man buffing in meta events), and there's also an auramancer variant for even more survival while still dealing good damage.

There's also the burning viper tempest that allows you to mass-carry player mobs during events.

Although I agree that Tempest could and should have a more viable support build, pidgeonholing the entire elite spec into support would frustrate a lot of its current playerbase and be a waste of their epic overload animations, which convey a feeling/ fantasy of great power, and therefore need to fulfill their fantasy by offering high damage numbers (I'm specifically talking about fire/ air overloads here).

The ideal is cool but it should be a chose the player makes. So yes there should be a way to take out all of tempest aggressive dmg effects if you build that way more then just simply having no power. Such as having traits that kill the dmg on overloads but in-turn you get much stronger support. There also should be traits that push the overloads to more dmg but less support.

That something wrong with this game you give up nothing for something so every one simply has every thing. Only the base dmg skills and base effects skills are the real balancing as if you do not need to stack power to do ok dmg then you can play high def with out giving up that dmg the same could be said for def and support.

I am sorry but I have to say your idea is a huge nerf to overloads no matter what buff you add. Overloads are already bad when it comes to risk reward ratio, you are locked in an animation for 4 seconds, have to be close range and your damage potential is not fantastic either. Just have a look at meteor shower, lower cast time only 3 ¾ seconds while having maximum range and with 72 possible hits an incredible higher damage potential than with any overload. The only thing they have going for them is that you can move while casting. But if you take their damage component away no matter what buffs they pulse, you take yourself out of the combat for 4 seconds without any way of fighting back. Without any damage to them any enemy will simply focus you as you become a free target with no way to hold them off. They don’t even have to interrupt you as they can simply clutch you in close combat and even having the ability to move won't help much.

It would only work if the 4-second animation lock would be removed.

Overall, I am more convinced that overloads would be better if they would pulse a second storm that you could ground target at 900 range. At least you would get some range and could lock down a small area.

I agree in principle but you would still keep some damaging component of overloads, many support abilities do some damage even if it's negligible.

Air overload what about doing half the damage it does but granting 3-4s quickness to allies in 600 range and extend it to 10 players. Now there's a viable support tempest build for raids filling a niche and it would be alright for WvW especially small scale. Can skill split the quickness duration if needed.

Earth Overload stability is far too frequent in the game and I don't like the idea of having it on the overload for allies. I think it's current effect of crippling and then immobilising at the end is really good. I would extend the duration of the protection on it to 2s and see how it goes. Maybe add blind to the dust cyclone at the end but I think increasing the prot duration is fine.

Fire Overload I would honestly nerf the direct damage, buff the AoE to the same as air overload, affect 10 targets, revert the might to 16s duration and call it a day. EZ might for allies and a good offensive buff.

Tempestuous Aria with 8s weakness? That's a bit much! How's about upping the might to 3 stacks and the weakness to 4s. Make it 5 stacks in PvE and then you have a viable might, fury and quickness stacking ele build.

Harmonious Conduit is very out of place having a damage buff after overload but I honestly can't think of what to do other than give it 2.5s of quickness so your overloads are done faster making for a quicker and safer overload build

Bonus memes make heat sync share quickness.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > This would kill solo OPvE tempest.

>

> Why are you running a support elite spec solo? Why are you wanting damage from a support elite spec?

>

> Also how would this kill OPvE builds, most stuff dies to even minstrels firebrands. just wear zerk and auto, EZ game, EZ life.

I was referring to open world PvE. If one were to remove damage from overloads, then it would gut the point of the spec for solo players. Yeah, yeah, it's an MMO etc... but still.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"apharma.3741" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > This would kill solo OPvE tempest.

> >

> > Why are you running a support elite spec solo? Why are you wanting damage from a support elite spec?

> >

> > Also how would this kill OPvE builds, most stuff dies to even minstrels firebrands. just wear zerk and auto, EZ game, EZ life.

>

> I was referring to open world PvE. If one were to remove damage from overloads, then it would gut the point of the spec for solo players. Yeah, yeah, it's an MMO etc... but still.

Yes I understand you were meaning open world PvE, my question is why are you running a support elite spec solo in the first place? Running core or weaver would be far more effective. Even then removing damage from overloads wouldn't cause significant issues as most stuff dies to a few autos and lightning whip is one of the best ways to tag stuff. I say that as someone who used to lead Dry Top runs trying to tag all the dustmites with a zerg on me, lightning whip is vastly superior.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> Yes I understand you were meaning open world PvE, my question is why are you running a support elite spec solo in the first place? Running core or weaver would be far more effective. Even then removing damage from overloads wouldn't cause significant issues as most stuff dies to a few autos and lightning whip is one of the best ways to tag stuff. I say that as someone who used to lead Dry Top runs trying to tag all the dustmites with a zerg on me, lightning whip is vastly superior.

Because I am a very casual player and am not interested in BiS builds. ;) Hey, it was just my opinion based on the OP's query. No worries.