The new mount (Warclaw) obtainable by core, HoT and free accounts or not?

Terter.4125

> @"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:

> Since mounts are tied exclusively to PoF, I would assume it would require PoF to obtain. Just like gliding in wvw requires HoT.

This.

Chance are very low that non PoF accounts will be able to get access to a WvW mount. Even less, get access to it in PvE which would undermine other PvE PoF mounts.

Afaik, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to own HoT to be able to glide, so why would it be so unusual for the requirement of PoF in order to use a mount?

And as I've said many a time, if a dedicated WvW player runs around without PoF, the lack of mounts is the least of their problems, but rather not having access to the most dominant WvW elite specs (Holo, Scourge, FB, SB, DE, Souldbeast, Mirage) should be the issue.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:

> > Since mounts are tied exclusively to PoF, I would assume it would require PoF to obtain. Just like gliding in wvw requires HoT.

>

> This.

>

> Chance are very low that non PoF accounts will be able to get access to a WvW mount. Even less, get access to it in PvE which would undermine other PvE PoF mounts.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the gliding system is only available trough masteries and not having the masteries doesn't allow you to have glider no matter WvW or PvE. On the other hand as I said previously the "new mount available exclusively through WvW" is going to have , in my opinion, something different than masteries. The thing stopping the players without PoF having mounts was the zones where you were getting the mounts. Now the zones are the WvW borders thus making the new mount available to all.

Knowing Anet they will simply lock it on PoF ownership. How they will do it? Merchant will refuse to serve if acc doesn't have PoF.

Juts like guild bartender refuses to give guild enchantments to any but HoT owners.

Although if you ask me it would have been a nice gesture to allow basic mounts for any account. Besides being nice it would have been a well played PoF promo.

But it's Anet, they prefer simple and strict steps.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> Knowing Anet they will simply lock it on PoF ownership. How they will do it? Merchant will refuse to serve if acc doesn't have PoF.

> Juts like guild bartender refuses to give guild enchantments to any but HoT owners.

> Although if you ask me it would have been a nice gesture to allow basic mounts for any account. Besides being nice it would have been a well played PoF promo.

> But it's Anet, they prefer simple and strict steps.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong having this mount to all accounts no matter PoF or not. Half zerg on mounts, half zerg not on mounts...WTH?! Giving a mount to someone who never used one before is a great tactic to sell more PoF expansions. Arenanet is showing this kind of tactic on the beetle races and the festival races where you can rent a mount. Maybe at least giving a rental mount until you dismount in WvW will be the better deal for the Arenanet.

> @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:

> > > Since mounts are tied exclusively to PoF, I would assume it would require PoF to obtain. Just like gliding in wvw requires HoT.

> >

> > This.

> >

> > Chance are very low that non PoF accounts will be able to get access to a WvW mount. Even less, get access to it in PvE which would undermine other PvE PoF mounts.

>

> Correct me if I'm wrong but the gliding system is only available trough masteries and not having the masteries doesn't allow you to have glider no matter WvW or PvE. On the other hand as I said previously the "new mount available exclusively through WvW" is going to have , in my opinion, something different than masteries. The thing stopping the players without PoF having mounts was the zones where you were getting the mounts. Now the zones are the WvW borders thus making the new mount available to all.

The ability to glide in WvW is controlled by a WvW ability. If you have the mastery track fully trained but you don't have any points in the ability then you can't glide in WvW. But you need HoT to access the ability - if you don't have it then it doesn't appear in the list for you to put points into it. (I can't check what happens if you own HoT but haven't trained the gliding mastery, because I don't have an account in that situation, but it looks like the two are independent of each other.)

I assume the warclaw will be similar - you'll need to own PoF to unlock it, but won't need to do anything outside of WvW to unlock it. I assume any upgrades to its abilities will be through WvW abilities rather than a mastery track, but we won't know for sure until it's released.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > @"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:

> > > > Since mounts are tied exclusively to PoF, I would assume it would require PoF to obtain. Just like gliding in wvw requires HoT.

> > >

> > > This.

> > >

> > > Chance are very low that non PoF accounts will be able to get access to a WvW mount. Even less, get access to it in PvE which would undermine other PvE PoF mounts.

> >

> > Correct me if I'm wrong but the gliding system is only available trough masteries and not having the masteries doesn't allow you to have glider no matter WvW or PvE. On the other hand as I said previously the "new mount available exclusively through WvW" is going to have , in my opinion, something different than masteries. The thing stopping the players without PoF having mounts was the zones where you were getting the mounts. Now the zones are the WvW borders thus making the new mount available to all.

>

> The ability to glide in WvW is controlled by a WvW ability. If you have the mastery track fully trained but you don't have any points in the ability then you can't glide in WvW. But you need HoT to access the ability - if you don't have it then it doesn't appear in the list for you to put points into it. (I can't check what happens if you own HoT but haven't trained the gliding mastery, because I don't have an account in that situation, but it looks like the two are independent of each other.)

>

> I assume the warclaw will be similar - you'll need to own PoF to unlock it, but won't need to do anything outside of WvW to unlock it. I assume any upgrades to its abilities will be through WvW abilities rather than a mastery track, but we won't know for sure until it's released.

Thanks! That was a great and helpful answer. I knew about the ability points for the glider but did not know they don't appear to players which don't own HoT. Now I'm 75% sure they will use the same system with the new mount.

While mounts are "PoF content", different mounts have been available for people without PoF, both free and for rent. Temporary mounts have been part of events as well as in core tyria (you can rent a roller beetle in all maps with racing tracks at any time you want). During the last event, you could even remount a rented mount, something which was never possible before.

While I don't consider it to be a likely scenario, they could very well offer a remountable rental mount in WvW for every player, regardless of expansion. Because the remount ability is tied to your character holding an item, you can not engage in any combat with your weapons without losing the mount (you'd need to drop the item to get your weapon skills). In no way this would be a replacement for the convenient permanent one. It would just allow players without PoF to use a dumbed-down version - to "encourage" them to buy PoF ;)

> @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> So far all mounts were available exclusively trough PoF zones and season 4 zones. WvW is available for all kinds of accounts so does this "new mount available exclusively through WvW" means all players will be able to have at least one mount no matter having PoF or not.

Do you own the exps? if not buy them.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> Knowing Anet they will simply lock it on PoF ownership. How they will do it? Merchant will refuse to serve if acc doesn't have PoF.

> Juts like guild bartender refuses to give guild enchantments to any but HoT owners.

> Although if you ask me it would have been a nice gesture to allow basic mounts for any account. Besides being nice it would have been a well played PoF promo.

Don't be cheap, if you want mounts, slip Anet some money and get them, if you don't--too bad, accept it and move on.

> @"Blude.6812" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > Knowing Anet they will simply lock it on PoF ownership. How they will do it? Merchant will refuse to serve if acc doesn't have PoF.

> > Juts like guild bartender refuses to give guild enchantments to any but HoT owners.

> > Although if you ask me it would have been a nice gesture to allow basic mounts for any account. Besides being nice it would have been a well played PoF promo.

> > But it's Anet, they prefer simple and strict steps.

>

> Don't be cheap, if you want mounts, slip Anet some money and get them, if you don't--too bad, accept it and move on.

>

Don't be silly and assume that I don't have PoF. In fact I have 2 accs with PoF.

All I'm saying is Anet wil lock mounts on POF.

Now think if a new player gets in the game and see basic mount obtainable on lv 65 from WvW and gets info that there are more in expac.

> @"Blude.6812" said:

> > @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> > So far all mounts were available exclusively trough PoF zones and season 4 zones. WvW is available for all kinds of accounts so does this "new mount available exclusively through WvW" means all players will be able to have at least one mount no matter having PoF or not.

>

> Do you own the exps? if not buy them.

My account is from the launch of the game. I have GW1(prophecies,factions,nightfall,eye of the north), I also have GW2 Core,HoT and PoF. My account have over 30k AP and over 100k gold account value. Your assumption of me not having PoF is wrong . I love this game , playing it for years and I do consider what can push more fresh players to come play and buy the game. I'm all in for the sake of Arenanet. After all more players, more profit, more content, more expansions. So you asked me do I own exps? I ask you now do you really like this game? Because not seeing the meaning behind my words means you probably don't appreciate it enough as I or @"phs.6089" do.

> @"phs.6089" said:

You think it will be a vendor or a reward track?

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > Knowing Anet they will simply lock it on PoF ownership. How they will do it? Merchant will refuse to serve if acc doesn't have PoF.

> > Juts like guild bartender refuses to give guild enchantments to any but HoT owners.

> > Although if you ask me it would have been a nice gesture to allow basic mounts for any account. Besides being nice it would have been a well played PoF promo.

> > But it's Anet, they prefer simple and strict steps.

>

> You think it will be a vendor or a reward track?

I don't know, may be just a wvw mastery line, locked on PoF just like gliding is locked on HoT.

It won't be anyhting complicated, Anet needs to show mount in wvw, so people will buy PoF and skins afterward.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > Knowing Anet they will simply lock it on PoF ownership. How they will do it? Merchant will refuse to serve if acc doesn't have PoF.

> > > Juts like guild bartender refuses to give guild enchantments to any but HoT owners.

> > > Although if you ask me it would have been a nice gesture to allow basic mounts for any account. Besides being nice it would have been a well played PoF promo.

> > > But it's Anet, they prefer simple and strict steps.

> >

> > You think it will be a vendor or a reward track?

>

> I don't know, may be just a wvw mastery line, locked on PoF just like gliding is locked on HoT.

> It won't be anyhting complicated, Anet needs to show mount in wvw, so people will buy PoF and skins afterward.

Agreed.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > Knowing Anet they will simply lock it on PoF ownership. How they will do it? Merchant will refuse to serve if acc doesn't have PoF.

> > > Juts like guild bartender refuses to give guild enchantments to any but HoT owners.

> > > Although if you ask me it would have been a nice gesture to allow basic mounts for any account. Besides being nice it would have been a well played PoF promo.

> > > But it's Anet, they prefer simple and strict steps.

> >

> > You think it will be a vendor or a reward track?

>

> I don't know, may be just a wvw mastery line, locked on PoF just like gliding is locked on HoT.

> It won't be anyhting complicated, Anet needs to show mount in wvw, so people will buy PoF and skins afterward.

And they probably won't want to make it too much of a grind as any players new to WvW won't have a lot of progress in reward tracks or much WvW currency?