"Starter" mount for core players?

So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your friend needs to build for damage and mobility (perma swiftness, leaps, and blinks- every class should have at least one of those three), and only go for events called out near waypoints. Mounts don't make you waypoint faster. If he doesn't have the map fully unlocked then map completion needs to be the priority.

Giving mounts / gliding to those who haven't bought the expansions isn't fair to those who paid. Other than the festival rent-a-mount, don't hold your breath.

> @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> This is what he gets for free... dont see the need for complaining here...buy PoF and thats that

You need to read more carefully, he is NOT a free player. He paid full price for the heroic edition, but thanks for the unhelpful comment anyway.

BTW, even with POF you STILL need to level to 80 unless you use a booster which spoils many parts of the game.

> @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

> @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

>

> This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

>

> Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.

What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

> @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> Your friend needs to build for damage and mobility (perma swiftness, leaps, and blinks- every class should have at least one of those three), and only go for events called out near waypoints. Mounts don't make you waypoint faster. If he doesn't have the map fully unlocked then map completion needs to be the priority.

>

> Giving mounts / gliding to those who haven't bought the expansions isn't fair to those who paid. Other than the festival rent-a-mount, don't hold your breath.

I have been working with him on map completion as most of the waypoints are not unlocked yet, but it does take time. I really do not see what would be unfair about a basic mount with no abilities compared to all the mounts with special abilities you get for owning POF.

> > @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > Your friend needs to build for damage and mobility (perma swiftness, leaps, and blinks- every class should have at least one of those three), and only go for events called out near waypoints. Mounts don't make you waypoint faster. If he doesn't have the map fully unlocked then map completion needs to be the priority.

> >

> > Giving mounts / gliding to those who haven't bought the expansions isn't fair to those who paid. Other than the festival rent-a-mount, don't hold your breath.

>

> I have been working with him on map completion as most of the waypoints are not unlocked yet, but it does take time. I really do not see what would be unfair about a basic mount with no abilities compared to all the mounts with special abilities you get for owning POF.

Whilst I'm not against the idea, it is the special abilities that often give them the extra speed. Raptor is used for the huge leap allowing it to cross the map so quickly. The jackal has a decent flat speed, but again the ability gives it the distance mobility.

Without any of the abilities, a player might as well just focus on the existing speed boosts

Even with all the mounts unlocked and a level 80 character I don't usually bother with event dailies because it's such a rush to try and get there and tag a few things before the event is completed. I either pick another 3 dailies and avoid that one (which sometimes includes WvW dailies) or I skip them that day.

I certainly wouldn't object to a basic mount being added for core players, but I don't think it would help in this situation. Even if it was as fast as the raptor (which would mean either giving it an equivalent leap ability or making it's running speak faster to compensate) it would just remove one of the more obvious reasons event dailies are hard to complete.

Actually, you do not really want a "core" mount.

The reason being is I got a "free" (Rent a mount) on my third account (the only one without PoF) during festivals. It just sucks. It is slower, the leaps are short, and it doesn't have any of the mount skill tree that the real one does. So for anyone one to get that mount might never want to upgrade thinking they are a waste of money.

Just have your Friend get PoF, the story is good and the journey to get all the mounts is epic. Besides they will appreciate working for new creatures. Imagine speeding across Sparkfly Fen, racing to stop Tequatl the Sunless.

Best wishes.

> it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do.

There are four PvE dailies, so your friend does not have do this one if they feel it's too hard. Or, they can find alternative ways to complete it that don't involve mounts. For example, completing a JP in the zone counts; the same one can be done on four characters for four events. Every zone also includes event chains, some of which go through 4 events; no mount required. And nearly every zone includes frequently respawning events, so it's not hard to be near an event when it starts... unless you run around using WP to try to reach the zerg.

> would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount?

ANet seems to think it's a (ahem) core selling point for PoF. If people can get mounts without it (so the theory goes), they'd be less likely to spend the cash on the expansion. Given that they've been making successful games longer than any of us, I'm inclined to trust their instincts rather than my own.

> I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring.

I would just take him on a waypoint tour. It doesn't take long to unlock key waypoints in key zones.

I really don't understand the arguments against just providing a core mount (like a horse) that can be obtained early by new players. They just really make no logical sense.

IMO, it's something you should have for a first time leveling experience and fail to see how it would dissuade people from buying PoF. If anything, it would likely lead to more general enjoyment of the game by new players and therefore more desire to buy PoF.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> >

> > This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

> >

> > Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

>

> Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.

> What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

>

I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

Also, just as a follow up, as others have stated, if they are actually enjoying the game thus far, then buying PoF isn't a bad investment game wise. There is a lot of content and the process of getting the mounts unlocked is actually fun. And this is coming from someone who was dead set against mounts for GW2. I don't agree with their use in core maps, but that ship sailed a long time ago. point is, if he wants mounts, get PoF as its not a bad investment.

> @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > > > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> > >

> > > This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

> > >

> > > Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

> >

> > Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.

> > What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

> >

>

> I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

No, this is a very flawed way of looking at it. People will buy PoF because they like the game, not **just** because they want a mount, so doing things to make the game more enjoyable for new players is the correct way to incentivize purchasing expansions. Providing a core mount is a way to do this while also giving a taste of what's to come in PoF.

I still like the idea of a core game starter mount (Horse being the most common idea for one)

Doesn't need any special abilities or even the same run speed as the other mounts.. and it could be priced at a reasonable amount and locked behind a level cap so new players would have to work for it unless they got really lucky.

In my mind this mount would be an enticement to buy PoF as new players now having experienced mounts in a limited capacity might want to invest in the faster ones with actual abilities.

I also think Anet need to start releasing creature specific licences too..

All the Raptor skins in one pack etc

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > > > > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> > > >

> > > > This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

> > > >

> > > > Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

> > >

> > > Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.

> > > What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

> > >

> >

> > I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

>

> No, this is a very flawed way of looking at it. People will buy PoF because they like the game, not **just** because they want a mount, so doing things to make the game more enjoyable for new players is the correct way to incentivize purchasing expansions. Providing a core mount is a way to do this while also giving a taste of what's to come in PoF.

It's like saying ... lets give the X artist's album for free with low quality and if they love it they will buy it with the high quality. In the mean time the artist is starving.

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > > > > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> > > >

> > > > This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

> > > >

> > > > Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

> > >

> > > Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.

> > > What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

> > >

> >

> > I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

>

> No, this is a very flawed way of looking at it. People will buy PoF because they like the game, not **just** because they want a mount, so doing things to make the game more enjoyable for new players is the correct way to incentivize purchasing expansions. Providing a core mount is a way to do this while also giving a taste of what's to come in PoF.

they give people a taste during holiday events. Giving a free mount to core game players doesn't give them the urgency to ever get the proper mounts from PoF and the longer they don't get into that story to unlock the mounts the longer Anet goes without the reported income. Many that go into PoF for the starter mount want to then stay to unlock the skills and then get the other mounts as well. A starter core mount removes all of that.

> @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > > > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > > > > > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> > > > >

> > > > > This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

> > > > >

> > > > > Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.

> > > > What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

> >

> > No, this is a very flawed way of looking at it. People will buy PoF because they like the game, not **just** because they want a mount, so doing things to make the game more enjoyable for new players is the correct way to incentivize purchasing expansions. Providing a core mount is a way to do this while also giving a taste of what's to come in PoF.

>

> It's like saying ... lets give the X artist's album for free with low quality and if they love it they will buy it with the high quality. In the mean time the artist is starving.

No, it's actually nothing at all like that.

> @"Gopaka.7839" said:

> > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > > > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > > > > > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> > > > >

> > > > > This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

> > > > >

> > > > > Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.

> > > > What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

> >

> > No, this is a very flawed way of looking at it. People will buy PoF because they like the game, not **just** because they want a mount, so doing things to make the game more enjoyable for new players is the correct way to incentivize purchasing expansions. Providing a core mount is a way to do this while also giving a taste of what's to come in PoF.

>

> It's like saying ... lets give the X artist's album for free with low quality and if they love it they will buy it with the high quality. In the mean time the artist is starving.

Album of an artist will be the full product. But lest say give a free song from album that 12 will be more correct.