Warclaw is cool but...

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> Nah it should satisfy everyone. And so, the mount should be as fast as the jackal we speak about a feline.

It's not a real animal, it's a construct (!), as explained by the Warclaw NPC. Its origin is unknown, so I immediately thought of Shiro'ken. In any case, something made of heavy metal cannot compete with a feline. :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvE players who will go into WvW to get the mount will stop returning once they've gotten it. Bearing this in mind, it might not be a bad idea for ANet to make it more useful in PvE, _unless they don't plan to sell skins for it_. People in general will be less inclined to spend money on something they will not want to use.

> @"Duncanmix.5238" said:

> Why is it so much worse then jackal in PVE? Its slower, it has only 2 leap bars, and its leap is worse then Jackals portal especially uphill.

> I understand logic behind limiting it in WvW, but in PVE it should offer similar speed to Jackal in my opinion.

Do you want a 3rd endurance bar as a starter here? Get the mastery to level 3 in WvW. You'll have to spend some points, but the reasons it's designed this way is because we're trying to get more people "hooked" on WvW as it were. The griffon is the same speed as the warclaw in PvE, and they're still at 169% movement speed. So yeah, it's faster than swiftness running, but not by much. You can still access it whenever you want in PvE and when you want to upgrade it, you'll go back to WvW for as long as you want to upgrade it as far as you want. Additionally, the flavor is all there. People can ride a mecha-lion-battle-thing. It increases our number of mounts in-game to 7. A whole seven mounts compared to 0 in anything before PoF. C'mon man. I don't want you to think I'm meowin' on ya, truly, but you need to widen your perspective just a bit.

I think it's fine as it's meant for WvW anyway. it's nice now to have something like that in WvW (Imo, they should of had one thought out when PoF came out) but better late than never.

It's also nice for someone like myself who likes to do the achievements to get these mounts.

In PVE I have a number of mounts to choose from. I have them all including the griffon and as a regular WvW player as well, I am happy to have a mount that was designed specifically for the game mode. It makes getting back to the squad so much easier when respawn is across the map. I can't tell you the number of times I have been trying to get back to squad only to be nuked by a group of roamers. Too be honest, so far from what I can tell, it adds a new dynamic to roaming etc but it also allows for better map wide mobility.

As others have mentioned, it is not meant for PVE, it is meant for WvW and I for one, am just happy we have a mount in WvW. We have numerous to choose from in PVE that suit different purposes. In the end, I would rather we focus on any potential challenges that arise in WvW with the mount rather than being concerned with anything to do with PVE.

I am both a PvE player and a WvWer. Personally, I am not happy to see mounts arriving in WvW, though, it is true that we had nothing and it's good to see that now, we get a mount, matching with the activity. It is important to understand that WvW has different game mechanics than PvE. The PvE mounts are not adapted for that. That's why it needed a mount specific to the game mechanics of WvW.

Now honestly, if you think about it: There are 6 PvE mounts. How many of them are you really using? I mean, on a day to day use? Personally, I use only raptor, springer and if water, skimmer. Griffon remains an exception when I cross over long distance. Jackal and Beetle close to never. I'm sure it is the same for all. Each of us has its preferred 2 or 3 mounts, and rarely use the other.

So, all in all, we get 1 unique mount in WvW, that does not match well for PvE: So what? All players can go get it. For PvE players, that will just be one more that they probably use less than others whereas WvW players finally have one, matching the WvW needs. Nothing more, nothing less. It's seems fair enough to me. :)

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > Nah it should satisfy everyone. And so, the mount should be as fast as the jackal we speak about a feline. It's not a novelty, it's a mount, don't confound them. The only fact why it's called the WvW mount is simply due to the fact that only that mount can be used in WvW. PVE!!!! Should be fast in PvE. And how it is currently in WvW. Those skills are useless in PvE so as compensation, IMO it's the minimum to have a correct speed/jump.

>

> Um, no? It's called a WvW mount because it was specifically made for and designed to be used in WvW, and only WvW. It is a WvW mount that can be used in PvE. This is easy to verify, because no PvE mounts can be used in WvW. Since this one can be used in WvW, it must be a WvW mount specific to the game mode. You require NO compensation. Why should this mount provide you anything that another mount has, that's not how mounts work in this game. If the Jackal can do a thing, why should the Warclaw do it, it's already covered by the Jackal. The Warclaw is not the Jackal, it's the Warclaw, it does what the Warclaw does. Which, in PvE, is basically nothing.

Ok will answer point by point.

Can be a reply to evereryone who quoted.

Yeah it have the speed of gryphon, but it's a quite low speed compared to raptor etc. But let's say it's due to armor.

I never asked the warclaw to be a jackal obviously it is not, but to have at least a decent speed boost. Seriously,what will do the pve players after unlocking it? They will quit WvW. So at least, let's make that mount appealing. If it does nothing for pve it doesn't require an unlock. About the comment about pvp: yeah add it in PvP! We haven't destroyed enough the game. I do WvW and I was since the start of that war of threads defending the fact of not having mounts in wvw, they should stay in PvE. It's not restriction, it's good sense. Yeah the mount was made for WvW but your thinking can be used in reverse: So it's a WvW exclusive mount and it's available in PvE?

WvW is more about the unlock medium, and so it's logical they added WvW skills.

Frankly, increasing a little the mount speed/ change the speed boost in PvE will not kill anyone.

It make me smile, peoples were saying mounts will destroy WvW, and now they want to keep it for themselves yeah so ok, remove the ability to use that mount in pve, done. If it's your mount, the mount of WvW as you are suggesting. I'm personnally for fun for everyone.

But mounts are better in big maps so PvE and WvW.

In case you aren't realizing, the more players that like the mount, (even PvE), higher is the probability to sell skins. So we are simply spitting on cash right now. Speed for money, a good deal.

That's why we CAN't satisfy anyone, on any topic, you will have two extreme opinions. Instead let's construct a solid one all together..... I'm okay with disagreeing as long as we aren't biting/spitting on each other.

Why would you want it to do the same job as the Jackal, just use the jackal... How hard is that to understand...

I don't want to WvW but I want your skin, well I don't want to do PvE Raid pls send me skin... ty because it does the same as my wvw legendary armor just its transforms... until then no, you get the same slow no skilled WvW mount you think you can show off in pveland.. enjoy have a nice day.

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > In PvE it should be as fast as raptor because its abilities aren't useful

>

> Why, if you can just use raptor? You effectively ask to develop a new mount with Warclaw's skin on it. Why just won't wait till Anet will provide a new mount for PvE, then?

Because if it gets cool skins I want to be incentivized to get them as bare minimum decent mount. There is specifically no reason not to bring it up to speed.

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > > @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > > In PvE it should be as fast as raptor because its abilities aren't useful

> >

> > Why, if you can just use raptor? You effectively ask to develop a new mount with Warclaw's skin on it. Why just won't wait till Anet will provide a new mount for PvE, then?

>

> Because if it gets cool skins I want to be incentivized to get them as bare minimum decent mount. There is specifically no reason not to bring it up to speed.

Actually someone above already posted the reason: spending development resources on enhancing the mount exclusively in a gamemode it's not intended for removes those development resources from projects that are more solidly planned and targeted (e.g. developing abilities for the next pve mount instead).

WvW got a mount. It takes a bit of wvw gameplay to unlock, and a lot of wvw gameplay to fully master (126 world ability points for a fully trained warclaw vs. 1060 world ability points to train every single other wvw ability). As a bonus to wvw players (who often don't even have all the other pve mounts unlocked, much less mastered) they are also able to use their new mount in pve once they have it unlocked.

Nowhere in this though process is any focus on "pve players need a new shiny mount so they buy more skins". ANet hat a lot of other content aimed at those willing to spend gems on the game that are probably much better focussed on their target audience. The warclaw skins are targeted at the players finding a use for a warclaw mount, which are wvw players using it in wvw.

There is no reason whatsoever to waste resources on making the mount more appealing to pve players when there are lots of better ways to spend those resources targeting each part of the playerbase in their preferred area of content.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > > > @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > > > In PvE it should be as fast as raptor because its abilities aren't useful

> > >

> > > Why, if you can just use raptor? You effectively ask to develop a new mount with Warclaw's skin on it. Why just won't wait till Anet will provide a new mount for PvE, then?

> >

> > Because if it gets cool skins I want to be incentivized to get them as bare minimum decent mount. There is specifically no reason not to bring it up to speed.

> Actually someone above already posted the reason: spending development resources on enhancing the mount exclusively in a gamemode it's not intended for removes those development resources from projects that are more solidly planned and targeted (e.g. developing abilities for the next pve mount instead).

>

> WvW got a mount. It takes a bit of wvw gameplay to unlock, and a lot of wvw gameplay to fully master (126 world ability points for a fully trained warclaw vs. 1060 world ability points to train every single other wvw ability). As a bonus to wvw players (who often don't even have all the other pve mounts unlocked, much less mastered) they are also able to use their new mount in pve once they have it unlocked.

>

> Nowhere in this though process is any focus on "pve players need a new shiny mount so they buy more skins". ANet hat a lot of other content aimed at those willing to spend gems on the game that are probably much better focussed on their target audience. The warclaw skins are targeted at the players finding a use for a warclaw mount, which are wvw players using it in wvw.

>

> There is no reason whatsoever to waste resources on making the mount more appealing to pve players when there are lots of better ways to spend those resources targeting each part of the playerbase in their preferred area of content.

I still kind of wonder why they didn't take the opportunity to give it unique abilities in pve though, since it has a different skill bar in each game mode. I also think the 3 evades should be baseline in pve. It could have something like a dash or sprint ability in pve. But it's not a biggy. I mostly use griffon anyway.

I'm willing to bet they'll add some more skills to this in wvw though. I can definitely see a prowl-stealth like skill at some point. You might argue that that would be broken, but it wouldn't be any different than blasting smoke fields to a bunch of people on mounts and could come with a movement speed reduction.

I'd also bet that we'll eventually get some ability that lets us do damage to walls, but perhaps the camp tactic dune buggy level damage and a long cooldown or something.

I enjoyed it, non-the-less.

> @"Mazreal Blackknight.1564" said:

> Why would you want it to do the same job as the Jackal, just use the jackal... How hard is that to understand...

>

The question will be, why should PvE players buy shiny skins in the gemstore when the mount is useless in pve?

i think Anet will realise that and going to change the speed in pve, because they want to make money.

> @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > @"Mazreal Blackknight.1564" said:

> > Why would you want it to do the same job as the Jackal, just use the jackal... How hard is that to understand...

> >

> The question will be, why should PvE players buy shiny skins in the gemstore when the mount is useless in pve?

> i think Anet will realise that and going to change the speed in pve, because they want to make money.

Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe they don't want pve players to buy skins for a wvw mount but rather for any of the numerous pve mounts? If they had wanted this mount to grab money from pve players, they would've made it a pve mount in the first place.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > @"Mazreal Blackknight.1564" said:

> > > Why would you want it to do the same job as the Jackal, just use the jackal... How hard is that to understand...

> > >

> > The question will be, why should PvE players buy shiny skins in the gemstore when the mount is useless in pve?

> > i think Anet will realise that and going to change the speed in pve, because they want to make money.

> Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe they don't want pve players to buy skins for a wvw mount but rather for any of the numerous pve mounts? If they had wanted this mount to grab money from pve players, they would've made it a pve mount in the first place.

So you say they dont want to make more money, after the current mass layoffs?

Then why can we use the mount in PvE in the first place.

We will see.

> @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > @"Mazreal Blackknight.1564" said:

> > > > Why would you want it to do the same job as the Jackal, just use the jackal... How hard is that to understand...

> > > >

> > > The question will be, why should PvE players buy shiny skins in the gemstore when the mount is useless in pve?

> > > i think Anet will realise that and going to change the speed in pve, because they want to make money.

> > Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe they don't want pve players to buy skins for a wvw mount but rather for any of the numerous pve mounts? If they had wanted this mount to grab money from pve players, they would've made it a pve mount in the first place.

>

> So you say they dont want to make more money, after the current mass layoffs?

> Then why can we use the mount in PvE in the first place.

>

> We will see.

Not quite. I say that they target specific content at specific audiences and develop accordingly. Anyone outside of their target audience playing the content and spending gems on it of course is welcome, but if they want your money they have a lot better ways to motivate you to give it to them than to half-heartedly adjust content that was targeted at a different part of the playerbase in the first place.

The mount is usable in pve as a bonus to the wvw players that aquire it. If in addition it incentivises a few pve players to play wvw then that's an added bonus for the game, but it's first and foremost target are wvw players.

Jesus Christ nerds... fine fine let it stay potato in PVE... just no more tears...

Just a tiny point though, when i say make it a bit better, I don't ask that they develop and spend resources on it or make some new skills for it. I was just thinking it wouldn't hurt if it was same as WvW version with 3 leaps and a bit faster. But apparently that would hurt some of u snowflakes. Also I'm not Pve player, god knows why some of you assumed that... have a nice day.

> @"Duncanmix.5238" said:

> Just a tiny point though, when i say make it a bit better, I don't ask that they develop and spend resources on it or make some new skills for it. I was just thinking it wouldn't hurt if it was same as WvW version with 3 leaps and a bit faster.

How do you expect that to happen? Just let the functionality magically rain down on pve? Would it change depending on if the character had unlocked the third leap and speed via wvw ability, or flat-out give the bonus in pve if just one character on the account had unlocked those features? Would those features be available for all in pve regardless if any character on the account had unlocked them in wvw? Should there be a pve mastery track to unlock third leap and extra speed (in pve) independent on how far any character on the account has unlocked the warclaw features in wvw? What about the ui adjustments needed to visualize the extra leap and speed unlocks in pve? And come to think of it, what speed would it even use, own teritory or enemy teritory speed?

Sure, all of this is doable, but to think it doesn't cost ANet resources is naive. Starting from scratch by checking how the upgraded warclaw abilities balance against the other mounts available in pve and what effect this might have on general and specific pve gameplay, somebody has to gather the stats and do the brainstorming before anyone even puts up a list of items to develop/adjust. Then you have to allocate resources to design, implementation and testing, plus additional overhead every time something like a new race or densely populated area is introduced. All of this costs people time to do, time that could be spent just as well on content meant for that part of the game in the first place, rather than band-aiding stuff that was meant for a whole different scenario.

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> I am both a PvE player and a WvWer. Personally, I am not happy to see mounts arriving in WvW, though, it is true that we had nothing and it's good to see that now, we get a mount, matching with the activity. It is important to understand that WvW has different game mechanics than PvE. The PvE mounts are not adapted for that. That's why it needed a mount specific to the game mechanics of WvW.

>

> Now honestly, if you think about it: There are 6 PvE mounts. How many of them are you really using? I mean, on a day to day use? Personally, I use only raptor, springer and if water, skimmer. Griffon remains an exception when I cross over long distance. Jackal and Beetle close to never. I'm sure it is the same for all. Each of us has its preferred 2 or 3 mounts, and rarely use the other.

> So, all in all, we get 1 unique mount in WvW, that does not match well for PvE: So what? All players can go get it. For PvE players, that will just be one more that they probably use less than others whereas WvW players finally have one, matching the WvW needs. Nothing more, nothing less. It's seems fair enough to me. :)

I'm pretty much the same using the Griffon only to decend on the vertical maps like VB.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> Nah it should satisfy everyone. And so, the mount should be as fast as the jackal we speak about a feline. It's not a novelty, it's a mount, don't confound them. The only fact why it's called the WvW mount is simply due to the fact that only that mount can be used in WvW. PVE!!!! Should be fast in PvE. And how it is currently in WvW. Those skills are useless in PvE so as compensation, IMO it's the minimum to have a correct speed/jump.

I'm not sure upon what basis you can declare what it 'should' be. It is as it was designed to be. If that doesn't accord with your wishes, that's unfortunate, but nobody said it would.