> > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > > > gank

> > > > > > > /ɡaNGk/Submit

> > > > > > > verbINFORMAL•US

> > > > > > > verb: gank; verb: ganked; gerund or present participle: ganking; 3rd person present: ganks; past participle: ganked

> > > > > > > 1.

> > > > > > > take or steal (something).

> > > > > > > "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"

> > > > > > > defraud or rob (someone).

> > > > > > > "they can take trade-ins of new releases and sell them for $55, essentially ganking the publishers"

> > > > > > > 2.

> > > > > > > (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

> > > > > > > "that troll just ganked me"

> > > > > > > Origin

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > 1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps imitative or perhaps a shortening of an altered pronunciation of gangster.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Might I point you to definition #2.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This technically means that any tactic can be classed as ganking tho, depending on your definition of underhanded. I mean, abusing OOC on a condi build is underhanded, but I'd hardly consider that ganking.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hey, I'm just posting the definition of Gank when you look it up in Google. Somebody else was trying to say that a SOLO person doesn't count as a Gank. That it had to be a Gang Kill, which is where they thought the word came from for some reason as a combination of the two words. Just pointing out that a Single Person can Gank and that it can be called a Gank.

> > > >

> > > > Yes, one person can Gank another person who's busy fighting a third person.

> > > > If player A is fighting player B, and player C joins in, attacking one of the two, then player C is ganking that player.

> > > > But one guy starting a pvp fight with one other guy isn't a Gank. There's ganking, regular fighting, and afk killing.

> > >

> > > Well that also depends on if it was a mutual PvP fight, or if person A decided to Gank person B on their way to do something else and then person C decides to Gank person A for fighting person B.

> >

> > Sure. The way I see it is there's generally nothing bad about ganking as we all do it all the time. It's only bothersome and toxic when you see people run around with 1 shot builds for example 2 DDs using stealth, effectively killing you in less than .5 seconds, not for any reason. Say you're just leaving spawn to do whatever. And they target you. Sometimes they do it over and over. But if you're just trying to stop someone to get into a tower and defend or whatever that's part of the game mode. Deliberately targeting ppl for no specific reason going 2 or 3v1 is the bad kinda ganking.

>

> Completely agree. My beef with people who Gank are those that build a specific build, 1-shot Perma-Stealth Thief, to purposely seek out people to kill for no other reason than to just be able to do it and those that just sit at Spawn, again in Stealth or just out of LOS, and jump players as they respawn. If you happen to be killed just outside of a Tower as you are trying to go in to defend then that's the way it goes. If you are caught at a camp trying to defend the camp and die, again that is the way it goes. My problem, and what I consider to be Ganking, is with Stealth. I feel that it's an unfair, lazy mechanic that promotes toxic play that in the long run ends up driving a lot of players away from WvW. There is nothing more frustrating to anybody than just instantly being killed when you never saw it coming.

So if you stand in the open then one shot someone out of spawn, is that ok? Not trying to be awkward, I just want to understand your position.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > > > > gank

> > > > > > > > /ɡaNGk/Submit

> > > > > > > > verbINFORMAL•US

> > > > > > > > verb: gank; verb: ganked; gerund or present participle: ganking; 3rd person present: ganks; past participle: ganked

> > > > > > > > 1.

> > > > > > > > take or steal (something).

> > > > > > > > "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"

> > > > > > > > defraud or rob (someone).

> > > > > > > > "they can take trade-ins of new releases and sell them for $55, essentially ganking the publishers"

> > > > > > > > 2.

> > > > > > > > (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

> > > > > > > > "that troll just ganked me"

> > > > > > > > Origin

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > 1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps imitative or perhaps a shortening of an altered pronunciation of gangster.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Might I point you to definition #2.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This technically means that any tactic can be classed as ganking tho, depending on your definition of underhanded. I mean, abusing OOC on a condi build is underhanded, but I'd hardly consider that ganking.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hey, I'm just posting the definition of Gank when you look it up in Google. Somebody else was trying to say that a SOLO person doesn't count as a Gank. That it had to be a Gang Kill, which is where they thought the word came from for some reason as a combination of the two words. Just pointing out that a Single Person can Gank and that it can be called a Gank.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes, one person can Gank another person who's busy fighting a third person.

> > > > > If player A is fighting player B, and player C joins in, attacking one of the two, then player C is ganking that player.

> > > > > But one guy starting a pvp fight with one other guy isn't a Gank. There's ganking, regular fighting, and afk killing.

> > > >

> > > > Well that also depends on if it was a mutual PvP fight, or if person A decided to Gank person B on their way to do something else and then person C decides to Gank person A for fighting person B.

> > >

> > > Sure. The way I see it is there's generally nothing bad about ganking as we all do it all the time. It's only bothersome and toxic when you see people run around with 1 shot builds for example 2 DDs using stealth, effectively killing you in less than .5 seconds, not for any reason. Say you're just leaving spawn to do whatever. And they target you. Sometimes they do it over and over. But if you're just trying to stop someone to get into a tower and defend or whatever that's part of the game mode. Deliberately targeting ppl for no specific reason going 2 or 3v1 is the bad kinda ganking.

> >

> > Completely agree. My beef with people who Gank are those that build a specific build, 1-shot Perma-Stealth Thief, to purposely seek out people to kill for no other reason than to just be able to do it and those that just sit at Spawn, again in Stealth or just out of LOS, and jump players as they respawn. If you happen to be killed just outside of a Tower as you are trying to go in to defend then that's the way it goes. If you are caught at a camp trying to defend the camp and die, again that is the way it goes. My problem, and what I consider to be Ganking, is with Stealth. I feel that it's an unfair, lazy mechanic that promotes toxic play that in the long run ends up driving a lot of players away from WvW. There is nothing more frustrating to anybody than just instantly being killed when you never saw it coming.

>

> So if you stand in the open then one shot someone out of spawn, is that ok? Not trying to be awkward, I just want to understand your position.

If I can see someone trying to kill me and have time to respond by using skills or dodging then I am fine with someone killing me. It's when I can't see you kill me that I have a problem with. If I have no chance to try to defend myself then I consider that a toxic play. When I see a group of people doing nothing but just hunting people down over and over again to kill them without any chance for that person to defend themselves, toxic play. To me that is more harmful to WvW than some kitten Mount that people want to complain about. I have tried to convince some of my friends to come play WvW with me only to have them try and leave because they couldn't defend themselves against certain players that promote Ganking. It is very infuriating and frustrating to new players when they don't feel like they even have a chance to battle somebody and instead get ganged up on 5v1 outside of respawn or killed from something they couldn't see in Stealth.

> @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > > gank

> > > > > > > /ɡaNGk/Submit

> > > > > > > verbINFORMAL•US

> > > > > > > verb: gank; verb: ganked; gerund or present participle: ganking; 3rd person present: ganks; past participle: ganked

> > > > > > > 1.

> > > > > > > take or steal (something).

> > > > > > > "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"

> > > > > > > defraud or rob (someone).

> > > > > > > "they can take trade-ins of new releases and sell them for $55, essentially ganking the publishers"

> > > > > > > 2.

> > > > > > > (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

> > > > > > > "that troll just ganked me"

> > > > > > > Origin

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > 1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps imitative or perhaps a shortening of an altered pronunciation of gangster.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Might I point you to definition #2.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This technically means that any tactic can be classed as ganking tho, depending on your definition of underhanded. I mean, abusing OOC on a condi build is underhanded, but I'd hardly consider that ganking.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hey, I'm just posting the definition of Gank when you look it up in Google. Somebody else was trying to say that a SOLO person doesn't count as a Gank. That it had to be a Gang Kill, which is where they thought the word came from for some reason as a combination of the two words. Just pointing out that a Single Person can Gank and that it can be called a Gank.

> > > >

> > > > Yes, one person can Gank another person who's busy fighting a third person.

> > > > If player A is fighting player B, and player C joins in, attacking one of the two, then player C is ganking that player.

> > > > But one guy starting a pvp fight with one other guy isn't a Gank. There's ganking, regular fighting, and afk killing.

> > >

> > > Well that also depends on if it was a mutual PvP fight, or if person A decided to Gank person B on their way to do something else and then person C decides to Gank person A for fighting person B.

> >

> > Sure. The way I see it is there's generally nothing bad about ganking as we all do it all the time. It's only bothersome and toxic when you see people run around with 1 shot builds for example 2 DDs using stealth, effectively killing you in less than .5 seconds, not for any reason. Say you're just leaving spawn to do whatever. And they target you. Sometimes they do it over and over. But if you're just trying to stop someone to get into a tower and defend or whatever that's part of the game mode. Deliberately targeting ppl for no specific reason going 2 or 3v1 is the bad kinda ganking.

>

> Completely agree. My beef with people who Gank are those that build a specific build, 1-shot Perma-Stealth Thief, to purposely seek out people to kill for no other reason than to just be able to do it and those that just sit at Spawn, again in Stealth or just out of LOS, and jump players as they respawn. If you happen to be killed just outside of a Tower as you are trying to go in to defend then that's the way it goes. If you are caught at a camp trying to defend the camp and die, again that is the way it goes. My problem, and what I consider to be Ganking, is with Stealth. I feel that it's an unfair, lazy mechanic that promotes toxic play that in the long run ends up driving a lot of players away from WvW. There is nothing more frustrating to anybody than just instantly being killed when you never saw it coming.

Yea. Stealth stacking or just high rang jumps like shadow step + steal from outside LoS is the problem. You're dazed, immobilized, boons are gone. Basically no time to react and dead.

> > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > > > > > gank

> > > > > > > > > /ɡaNGk/Submit

> > > > > > > > > verbINFORMAL•US

> > > > > > > > > verb: gank; verb: ganked; gerund or present participle: ganking; 3rd person present: ganks; past participle: ganked

> > > > > > > > > 1.

> > > > > > > > > take or steal (something).

> > > > > > > > > "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"

> > > > > > > > > defraud or rob (someone).

> > > > > > > > > "they can take trade-ins of new releases and sell them for $55, essentially ganking the publishers"

> > > > > > > > > 2.

> > > > > > > > > (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

> > > > > > > > > "that troll just ganked me"

> > > > > > > > > Origin

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > 1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps imitative or perhaps a shortening of an altered pronunciation of gangster.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Might I point you to definition #2.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This technically means that any tactic can be classed as ganking tho, depending on your definition of underhanded. I mean, abusing OOC on a condi build is underhanded, but I'd hardly consider that ganking.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Hey, I'm just posting the definition of Gank when you look it up in Google. Somebody else was trying to say that a SOLO person doesn't count as a Gank. That it had to be a Gang Kill, which is where they thought the word came from for some reason as a combination of the two words. Just pointing out that a Single Person can Gank and that it can be called a Gank.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes, one person can Gank another person who's busy fighting a third person.

> > > > > > If player A is fighting player B, and player C joins in, attacking one of the two, then player C is ganking that player.

> > > > > > But one guy starting a pvp fight with one other guy isn't a Gank. There's ganking, regular fighting, and afk killing.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well that also depends on if it was a mutual PvP fight, or if person A decided to Gank person B on their way to do something else and then person C decides to Gank person A for fighting person B.

> > > >

> > > > Sure. The way I see it is there's generally nothing bad about ganking as we all do it all the time. It's only bothersome and toxic when you see people run around with 1 shot builds for example 2 DDs using stealth, effectively killing you in less than .5 seconds, not for any reason. Say you're just leaving spawn to do whatever. And they target you. Sometimes they do it over and over. But if you're just trying to stop someone to get into a tower and defend or whatever that's part of the game mode. Deliberately targeting ppl for no specific reason going 2 or 3v1 is the bad kinda ganking.

> > >

> > > Completely agree. My beef with people who Gank are those that build a specific build, 1-shot Perma-Stealth Thief, to purposely seek out people to kill for no other reason than to just be able to do it and those that just sit at Spawn, again in Stealth or just out of LOS, and jump players as they respawn. If you happen to be killed just outside of a Tower as you are trying to go in to defend then that's the way it goes. If you are caught at a camp trying to defend the camp and die, again that is the way it goes. My problem, and what I consider to be Ganking, is with Stealth. I feel that it's an unfair, lazy mechanic that promotes toxic play that in the long run ends up driving a lot of players away from WvW. There is nothing more frustrating to anybody than just instantly being killed when you never saw it coming.

> >

> > So if you stand in the open then one shot someone out of spawn, is that ok? Not trying to be awkward, I just want to understand your position.

>

> If I can see someone trying to kill me and have time to respond by using skills or dodging then I am fine with someone killing me. It's when I can't see you kill me that I have a problem with. If I have no chance to try to defend myself then I consider that a toxic play. When I see a group of people doing nothing but just hunting people down over and over again to kill them without any chance for that person to defend themselves, toxic play. To me that is more harmful to WvW than some kitten Mount that people want to complain about. I have tried to convince some of my friends to come play WvW with me only to have them try and leave because they couldn't defend themselves against certain players that promote Ganking. It is very infuriating and frustrating to new players when they don't feel like they even have a chance to battle somebody and instead get ganged up on 5v1 outside of respawn or killed from something they couldn't see in Stealth.

Ok, that makes sense. Mostly when I roam I fight over objectives as it's the best way to draw players in, and I don't tend to add to fights unless it's more than just a couple of people. That said, I do often place traps in chokepoints or on myself then stand in the open to bait people into them, as it's pretty funny to punish AFK killers and once you kill one person like that in a camp, usually they come back with one or two friends to deal with me. By that point they know I'm placing traps. and playing mind games with traps and chokepoints is part of the fun of defending camps for me.

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > > > gank

> > > > > > > > /ɡaNGk/Submit

> > > > > > > > verbINFORMAL•US

> > > > > > > > verb: gank; verb: ganked; gerund or present participle: ganking; 3rd person present: ganks; past participle: ganked

> > > > > > > > 1.

> > > > > > > > take or steal (something).

> > > > > > > > "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"

> > > > > > > > defraud or rob (someone).

> > > > > > > > "they can take trade-ins of new releases and sell them for $55, essentially ganking the publishers"

> > > > > > > > 2.

> > > > > > > > (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

> > > > > > > > "that troll just ganked me"

> > > > > > > > Origin

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > 1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps imitative or perhaps a shortening of an altered pronunciation of gangster.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Might I point you to definition #2.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This technically means that any tactic can be classed as ganking tho, depending on your definition of underhanded. I mean, abusing OOC on a condi build is underhanded, but I'd hardly consider that ganking.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hey, I'm just posting the definition of Gank when you look it up in Google. Somebody else was trying to say that a SOLO person doesn't count as a Gank. That it had to be a Gang Kill, which is where they thought the word came from for some reason as a combination of the two words. Just pointing out that a Single Person can Gank and that it can be called a Gank.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes, one person can Gank another person who's busy fighting a third person.

> > > > > If player A is fighting player B, and player C joins in, attacking one of the two, then player C is ganking that player.

> > > > > But one guy starting a pvp fight with one other guy isn't a Gank. There's ganking, regular fighting, and afk killing.

> > > >

> > > > Well that also depends on if it was a mutual PvP fight, or if person A decided to Gank person B on their way to do something else and then person C decides to Gank person A for fighting person B.

> > >

> > > Sure. The way I see it is there's generally nothing bad about ganking as we all do it all the time. It's only bothersome and toxic when you see people run around with 1 shot builds for example 2 DDs using stealth, effectively killing you in less than .5 seconds, not for any reason. Say you're just leaving spawn to do whatever. And they target you. Sometimes they do it over and over. But if you're just trying to stop someone to get into a tower and defend or whatever that's part of the game mode. Deliberately targeting ppl for no specific reason going 2 or 3v1 is the bad kinda ganking.

> >

> > Completely agree. My beef with people who Gank are those that build a specific build, 1-shot Perma-Stealth Thief, to purposely seek out people to kill for no other reason than to just be able to do it and those that just sit at Spawn, again in Stealth or just out of LOS, and jump players as they respawn. If you happen to be killed just outside of a Tower as you are trying to go in to defend then that's the way it goes. If you are caught at a camp trying to defend the camp and die, again that is the way it goes. My problem, and what I consider to be Ganking, is with Stealth. I feel that it's an unfair, lazy mechanic that promotes toxic play that in the long run ends up driving a lot of players away from WvW. There is nothing more frustrating to anybody than just instantly being killed when you never saw it coming.

>

> Yea. Stealth stacking or just high rang jumps like shadow step + steal from outside LoS is the problem. You're dazed, immobilized, boons are gone. Basically no time to react and dead.

This is more or less fixed what with the warclaw tho, I mean, there's very little point putting all your burst into your initial attack as a solo player when everyone has two health bars, and two players attacking one guy without warning should absolutely get a kill. If someone dismounts you, you've then had plenty of warning that an attack is incoming, so to me this is a moot point. The exception to this for me is for brand new players that haven't yet unlocked warclaw, as logically they're the ones that most need the protection of a mount but they're also the only group that don't have it.

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> I just want the mount to not be a free out of jail card to have this back, all that would need to be done is reduce the speed to swiftness walk and make the dodges 2, reduce HP but remove CC on dismount, we don't even need a dismount ability then, it would still offer everything else it does.

So nerf it to near uselessness, gotcha

> @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > > > > > gank

> > > > > > > > > /ɡaNGk/Submit

> > > > > > > > > verbINFORMAL•US

> > > > > > > > > verb: gank; verb: ganked; gerund or present participle: ganking; 3rd person present: ganks; past participle: ganked

> > > > > > > > > 1.

> > > > > > > > > take or steal (something).

> > > > > > > > > "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"

> > > > > > > > > defraud or rob (someone).

> > > > > > > > > "they can take trade-ins of new releases and sell them for $55, essentially ganking the publishers"

> > > > > > > > > 2.

> > > > > > > > > (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

> > > > > > > > > "that troll just ganked me"

> > > > > > > > > Origin

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > 1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps imitative or perhaps a shortening of an altered pronunciation of gangster.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Might I point you to definition #2.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This technically means that any tactic can be classed as ganking tho, depending on your definition of underhanded. I mean, abusing OOC on a condi build is underhanded, but I'd hardly consider that ganking.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Hey, I'm just posting the definition of Gank when you look it up in Google. Somebody else was trying to say that a SOLO person doesn't count as a Gank. That it had to be a Gang Kill, which is where they thought the word came from for some reason as a combination of the two words. Just pointing out that a Single Person can Gank and that it can be called a Gank.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes, one person can Gank another person who's busy fighting a third person.

> > > > > > If player A is fighting player B, and player C joins in, attacking one of the two, then player C is ganking that player.

> > > > > > But one guy starting a pvp fight with one other guy isn't a Gank. There's ganking, regular fighting, and afk killing.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well that also depends on if it was a mutual PvP fight, or if person A decided to Gank person B on their way to do something else and then person C decides to Gank person A for fighting person B.

> > > >

> > > > Sure. The way I see it is there's generally nothing bad about ganking as we all do it all the time. It's only bothersome and toxic when you see people run around with 1 shot builds for example 2 DDs using stealth, effectively killing you in less than .5 seconds, not for any reason. Say you're just leaving spawn to do whatever. And they target you. Sometimes they do it over and over. But if you're just trying to stop someone to get into a tower and defend or whatever that's part of the game mode. Deliberately targeting ppl for no specific reason going 2 or 3v1 is the bad kinda ganking.

> > >

> > > Completely agree. My beef with people who Gank are those that build a specific build, 1-shot Perma-Stealth Thief, to purposely seek out people to kill for no other reason than to just be able to do it and those that just sit at Spawn, again in Stealth or just out of LOS, and jump players as they respawn. If you happen to be killed just outside of a Tower as you are trying to go in to defend then that's the way it goes. If you are caught at a camp trying to defend the camp and die, again that is the way it goes. My problem, and what I consider to be Ganking, is with Stealth. I feel that it's an unfair, lazy mechanic that promotes toxic play that in the long run ends up driving a lot of players away from WvW. There is nothing more frustrating to anybody than just instantly being killed when you never saw it coming.

> >

> > Yea. Stealth stacking or just high rang jumps like shadow step + steal from outside LoS is the problem. You're dazed, immobilized, boons are gone. Basically no time to react and dead.

>

> This is more or less fixed what with the warclaw tho, I mean, there's very little point putting all your burst into your initial attack as a solo player when everyone has two health bars, and two players attacking one guy without warning should absolutely get a kill. If someone dismounts you, you've then had plenty of warning that an attack is incoming, so to me this is a moot point. The exception to this for me is for brand new players that haven't yet unlocked warclaw, as logically they're the ones that most need the protection of a mount but they're also the only group that don't have it.

Oh yea mount does fix that issue for sure. I was just discussing the term gank by itself.

But again like.. it hardly takes any skill to pull off a double thief stealth attack that will result in instant death. So I wouldn't always say that the two players should absolutely get the kill in fair terms.

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > > > > > > > > gank

> > > > > > > > > > /ɡaNGk/Submit

> > > > > > > > > > verbINFORMAL•US

> > > > > > > > > > verb: gank; verb: ganked; gerund or present participle: ganking; 3rd person present: ganks; past participle: ganked

> > > > > > > > > > 1.

> > > > > > > > > > take or steal (something).

> > > > > > > > > > "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"

> > > > > > > > > > defraud or rob (someone).

> > > > > > > > > > "they can take trade-ins of new releases and sell them for $55, essentially ganking the publishers"

> > > > > > > > > > 2.

> > > > > > > > > > (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

> > > > > > > > > > "that troll just ganked me"

> > > > > > > > > > Origin

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > 1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps imitative or perhaps a shortening of an altered pronunciation of gangster.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Might I point you to definition #2.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > This technically means that any tactic can be classed as ganking tho, depending on your definition of underhanded. I mean, abusing OOC on a condi build is underhanded, but I'd hardly consider that ganking.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Hey, I'm just posting the definition of Gank when you look it up in Google. Somebody else was trying to say that a SOLO person doesn't count as a Gank. That it had to be a Gang Kill, which is where they thought the word came from for some reason as a combination of the two words. Just pointing out that a Single Person can Gank and that it can be called a Gank.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yes, one person can Gank another person who's busy fighting a third person.

> > > > > > > If player A is fighting player B, and player C joins in, attacking one of the two, then player C is ganking that player.

> > > > > > > But one guy starting a pvp fight with one other guy isn't a Gank. There's ganking, regular fighting, and afk killing.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well that also depends on if it was a mutual PvP fight, or if person A decided to Gank person B on their way to do something else and then person C decides to Gank person A for fighting person B.

> > > > >

> > > > > Sure. The way I see it is there's generally nothing bad about ganking as we all do it all the time. It's only bothersome and toxic when you see people run around with 1 shot builds for example 2 DDs using stealth, effectively killing you in less than .5 seconds, not for any reason. Say you're just leaving spawn to do whatever. And they target you. Sometimes they do it over and over. But if you're just trying to stop someone to get into a tower and defend or whatever that's part of the game mode. Deliberately targeting ppl for no specific reason going 2 or 3v1 is the bad kinda ganking.

> > > >

> > > > Completely agree. My beef with people who Gank are those that build a specific build, 1-shot Perma-Stealth Thief, to purposely seek out people to kill for no other reason than to just be able to do it and those that just sit at Spawn, again in Stealth or just out of LOS, and jump players as they respawn. If you happen to be killed just outside of a Tower as you are trying to go in to defend then that's the way it goes. If you are caught at a camp trying to defend the camp and die, again that is the way it goes. My problem, and what I consider to be Ganking, is with Stealth. I feel that it's an unfair, lazy mechanic that promotes toxic play that in the long run ends up driving a lot of players away from WvW. There is nothing more frustrating to anybody than just instantly being killed when you never saw it coming.

> > >

> > > Yea. Stealth stacking or just high rang jumps like shadow step + steal from outside LoS is the problem. You're dazed, immobilized, boons are gone. Basically no time to react and dead.

> >

> > This is more or less fixed what with the warclaw tho, I mean, there's very little point putting all your burst into your initial attack as a solo player when everyone has two health bars, and two players attacking one guy without warning should absolutely get a kill. If someone dismounts you, you've then had plenty of warning that an attack is incoming, so to me this is a moot point. The exception to this for me is for brand new players that haven't yet unlocked warclaw, as logically they're the ones that most need the protection of a mount but they're also the only group that don't have it.

>

> Oh yea mount does fix that issue for sure. I was just discussing the term gank by itself.

> But again like.. it hardly takes any skill to pull off a double thief stealth attack that will result in instant death. So I wouldn't always say that the two players should absolutely get the kill in fair terms.

I get your point here, and as a thief main I honestly wouldn't have a massive problem if they reworked stealth or even removed it from the game as long as some compensation was made in return. That said, timing two player's burst to kill a single target is a valid tactic, and while I get how it comes across as cheap, one guy shouldn't be able to survive a co-ordinated burst by two or more glassy players when he's unaware the attack is coming, regardless of the classes used by either party. The fact that some classes can survive this through traits or otherwise is part of the power creep issue the game is suffering from at the moment imo.

I think many with support or glass build build will want to get to our group or zerg commander or a certain tower without the fear and frustration of getting jumped on for the 100th time by classes with great mobility and or hiding in stealth. Warclaw being fast and immune to CC helps a lot.

Now, if everyone gets a special dismounting skill, classes (gankers to be more specified) with good mobility build can just chase after you, dismount you from a distance, jumped on you and we are back to square one. I thought the purpose of having a mount in wvw is to facilitate smooth and fast movement on the map for players who didn't want to engage in fights? What few here claimed it is a thrill to be jumped on at any time, many find them frustrating and a waste of time having to start running from point A to B again and again.

If ANet is going to always give in to the same old 100+ veteran forumers, out of the tens of thousands of players, and go ahead to nerf the mount with every patch, and they already did as expected, fine. Let's wait and see if anyone still buy your mount skins or even play WvW anymore. Certainly not me and my friends. No one knows which party, for or against the nerf/change, represent the vast majority of active players. Only ANet knows maybe by judging from the sales of Warclaw skins and Armistice Bastion Pass recently. Players supported and spent real money because they like the way things are now, change it or nerf it further, you will risk losing those supporters in the long run.

Btw, in a zerg fight if you need a dismount skill to kill the enemies, I think your commander is not doing a good job or your group lacks dps. Don't always blame the poor kitty...

edit: typos

> @"Karnasis.6892" said:

> > @"Anput.4620" said:

>

> > I just want the mount to not be a free out of jail card to have this back, all that would need to be done is reduce the speed to swiftness walk and make the dodges 2, reduce HP but remove CC on dismount, we don't even need a dismount ability then, it would still offer everything else it does.

>

> So nerf it to near uselessness, gotcha

Tell me if with the proposed nerfs, how 2 dodges, permaswiftness, and a barrier arent straight free upgrades to your arsenal that are basically mandatory still, also disregarding all the other utility it offers even. That's the opposite of useless.

Roamers or gankers (most of these players screaming for a dismount skill are in fact gankers), generally travel in pairs or in groups of less than 5. Players when travelling from their keep to a tower or SM, generally also travel in packs. Gankers, prior to war kitty, would usually succeed in killing off the players heading to their objective. In their victory though, they'd almost always suffer numerous downs during the fight. It's not hard to down someone 2v1, it just might be hard to finish them off when other enemies are present.

Superior battle maul changes that, it eliminates down state. That means the gankers and roamers have to get really good about not getting downed and relying on cheezy downed mechanics. Things like being stealthed or power rezzed, or whatever other ridiculous rez mechanics that generally save these gankers/roamers because their opponents can't find a way to finish them off. Superior battle maul eliminates all that (as it should).

A dismount skill won't make one lick of difference if these gankers/roamers can't finger out how to stay out of downed state when engaging a group. Players slowly filtering into these fights will still be on their mounts and will kill these players 100% of the time. All I see now are gankers/roamers instantly killed the second they eat dirt or they're running away on foot while a group of mounts are chasing them down. A dismount skill isn't going help or save them, it's likely going to work against them.

They just have to face facts, the ganker's days are done, because they can't even run from fights they lose anymore as mounted players are easily chasing them down. Some food for though, EoTM doesn't have mounts; those who call themselves "roamers", go roam over there and engage each other

Oh no, not the scary roamers. How could you be put through such trials such as fighting a 1v1 with a filthy roamer. There should be no dismount traps and mounts should have double HP just to make those evil roamers even more unviable so us zerglings can have the utmost certainty in getting to the zerg with 0 thought required.

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> I thought people who roamed or gank were in favor of no downed state though? Their major complaint was that downed state makes it harder to manage fights with constant ressing.

People only want things when its to their benefit, everything else is OP or unbalanced.

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> I thought people who roamed or gank were in favor of no downed state though? Their major complaint was that downed state makes it harder to manage fights with constant ressing.

The people who are in favor of no downed state are those that are usually a smaller group trying to dispose of a slightly larger group. Reason being is that if they can pick off the tails, weaker, or out of position people in a larger group they can then force that larger group into a more even or smaller group then theirs. 1v1'ers only care about no downed state when some Random comes along and interferes with the battle by either rezzing the downed person or helping to kill the opponent giving the downed player a rally.

The only reason some people want No Downed State is because it benefits them to some extent.

The whole ganking argument solves nothing in the end.solo players gank,small groups gank and zergs will follow a line player and gank lol we all gank in some form and is only a problem when we’re the ones beenbganked. It’s a open world pvp where everything goes and is fair game as it should be so who cares? I had a group of 5 mounted run by me as I was solo and one player branched off and dismounted in front of me while the others took off so I figured cool why not so I dismounted and we began to fight,few seconds later the rest of the group ran in on mounts and 5v1 destroyed me lol is what it is.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> It's open world PvP, solo roaming the open world should have a sense of danger tied to it.

^ THIS, 100% this. I always felt a sense of danger and excitement solo roaming deep in enemy territory. Now with mounts i can practically troll a zerg and not be afraid of getting caught. Even more so if enemy zerg is coming to my server controlled territory,

> > @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> > I thought people who roamed or gank were in favor of no downed state though? Their major complaint was that downed state makes it harder to manage fights with constant ressing.

>

> The people who are in favor of no downed state are those that are usually a smaller group trying to dispose of a slightly larger group. Reason being is that if they can pick off the tails, weaker, or out of position people in a larger group they can then force that larger group into a more even or smaller group then theirs. 1v1'ers only care about no downed state when some Random comes along and interferes with the battle by either rezzing the downed person or helping to kill the opponent giving the downed player a rally.

> The only reason some people want No Downed State is because it benefits them to some extent.

Pretty much this. I only roam, and I think both no downed state and warclaw are fun, but I'm not much bothered about either being in the game or not because both sides have some pretty valid arguments.

All is well imo. I can agree with all you've said, but I don't think there was a problem to begin with. All the whining and crying seems to be based on one idea: that the approaches that have made sense in the past should and MUST remain unaltered. New elements in the game require changes in the dynamics of how the game is played. That's not a bad thing. If the intro of the warclaw has proven anything it's that people will complain no matter what.

I'll start with: I love the mount and what it has brought to WvW.

A dismount mechanic is a natural progression to the feature. It can be a trap (which seems very entertaining to me and has some nice opportunity costs), or a mount skill. There's also the brute force method which does work (Torment condition is amazing in that regard).

So I'm all for more play being added around the mount, such as dismount.

gank

v.

by 2000 as the verb to describe a situation of many players or NPCs attacking one; gamer slang, perhaps borrowed from hip-hop and drug-abuse slang (where it is attested by 1995 in the sense of "to rob, to rip off"); perhaps by 1990 in sports jargon. Of unknown origin; perhaps ultimately based on gang. Related: Ganked ; ganking .

Trawling through all the various dictionaries til you find the one that suits your own definition is fun!

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> gank

> v.

>

> by 2000 as the verb to describe a situation of many players or NPCs attacking one; gamer slang, perhaps borrowed from hip-hop and drug-abuse slang (where it is attested by 1995 in the sense of "to rob, to rip off"); perhaps by 1990 in sports jargon. Of unknown origin; perhaps ultimately based on gang. Related: Ganked ; ganking .

>

> Trawling through all the various dictionaries til you find the one that suits your own definition is fun!

>

Only I pulled mine from the Oxford Dictionary. So....

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> gank

> v.

>

> by 2000 as the verb to describe a situation of many players or NPCs attacking one; gamer slang, perhaps borrowed from hip-hop and drug-abuse slang (where it is attested by 1995 in the sense of "to rob, to rip off"); perhaps by 1990 in sports jargon. Of unknown origin; perhaps ultimately based on gang. Related: Ganked ; ganking .

>

> Trawling through all the various dictionaries til you find the one that suits your own definition is fun!

>

Or just using the first search google provides because lazy lol

> > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > gank

> > v.

> >

> > by 2000 as the verb to describe a situation of many players or NPCs attacking one; gamer slang, perhaps borrowed from hip-hop and drug-abuse slang (where it is attested by 1995 in the sense of "to rob, to rip off"); perhaps by 1990 in sports jargon. Of unknown origin; perhaps ultimately based on gang. Related: Ganked ; ganking .

> >

> > Trawling through all the various dictionaries til you find the one that suits your own definition is fun!

> >

>

> Only I pulled mine from the Oxford Dictionary. So....

So, is the Oxford Dictionary the premier source for understanding gaming vernacular? Probably not...