Why is Soulbeast so popular in WvW?

Joshewwah.2956

It's just a strong roaming spec that's it. Top tier. The only thing you should lose a 1v1 to is a holo who uses "lock on" or whatever it is. The one that reveals enemies. However slb has more mobility than holo.. so you can just leave if you know you can't win the 1v1.

Soulbeast beats condi mirage.. warriors.. counters revenants.. beats thieves.. counters necros.. has unlockable..

So for 1v1 it's great. You can beat most condi specs and power specs on the same build. And if I want to have the upperhand when fighting mirages I can just swap 1 heal skill.

The only downside is that it doesn't have any meaningful AOE. Holos are much better at that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I like bows, have done in every game and frankly since Anet have done their best to kill off fun zerg fights by the massive power creep, passives and scourge/fb spam I find small scale much more fun and in that realm SB is pretty strong

Also much better for all that other crap that zergers tend to think doesn't happen like camp flipping, tower defending, scouting etc. My guard is also a perma DH/Core for the same reason and if i ever want to zerg then i can run scourge and facemash/get facemashed through 1 pushes...

> @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> Because outstanding mobility combined with the ability to 100-0 someone is just a few seconds from extreme range with little risk appeals to a lot of players albeit a "certain type" of player.

But the bandwagoners can't keep up with those of us that started playing ranger way before it was good lol

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> + 2800 Armor

> + 21k hp

> + On mount.

>

> One Rapid Fire was enough to bring me into downstate from 1800 Range away.

>

> Because he is so far away, he gets easily ooc > Mounts up > Mount Stomp.

>

> EZ

Same thing, same stats. First was LB ranger with "One Wolf Pack" and probably "Sic'Em!" and the quickness utility skill. 100-0 fully mounted to dead in one burst, didn't even see him. Second time it was a rifle Deadeye but that was on me because I was looking at the map out in the open for a little too long.

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > Because outstanding mobility combined with the ability to 100-0 someone is just a few seconds from extreme range with little risk appeals to a lot of players albeit a "certain type" of player.

>

> But the bandwagoners can't keep up with those of us that started playing ranger way before it was good lol

I would agree with this.

I've encountered many more soulbeasts in recent weeks but most are average players.

So many of them, but so few highly skilled ones.

Since POF was introduced, I can only recall ever meeting 6 highly skilled soulbeasts. (Those that can stand their ground and win, not those shoot and run shoot and run types).

One was HCM's Kiritsugu. Shame we never fought solo in POF era. Just a few group skirmishes. I would probably have lost solo but would have been a nice challenge.

One was KYS's Soulbeast roamer. Shame I encountered him only once while I was on my Scourge Zergling. Needless to say, I got wrecked.

One was RITE's Alex. Shame we never fought solo in POF era while I was on my solo roaming build. I would rate him as highly as Kiritsugu. Perhaps even more dangerous because Alex gives me the feels of a 'dirty, win at all cost' brawler who customises his builds heavily to counter foes. While Kiritsugu feels more like a straightforward and direct fighter.

One was Hunt's @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" whom I tried fighting his Soulbeast once but our fight was interrupted. Just based on our opening exchanges though, I am 80% certain that I would have lost that fight.

One was a plat ranked Soulbeast from AR server. He was running guildless though. But based on the skill levels he showed, he isn't too far from Kiritsugu level.

The last was a BG server Soulbeast roamer. Also guildless. But no less skilful than the others mentioned here. We dueled and I won once out of 10 fights. I cried irl after that win.

Oh and before I forget, Donnie's Druid is also a force to be reckoned with. Much more suited for roaming compared to soulbeasts imo.

> @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > > Because outstanding mobility combined with the ability to 100-0 someone is just a few seconds from extreme range with little risk appeals to a lot of players albeit a "certain type" of player.

> >

> > But the bandwagoners can't keep up with those of us that started playing ranger way before it was good lol

>

> I would agree with this.

> I've encountered many more soulbeasts in recent weeks but most are average players.

> So many of them, but so few highly skilled ones.

>

> Since POF was introduced, I can only recall ever meeting 6 highly skilled soulbeasts. (Those that can stand their ground and win, not those shoot and run shoot and run types).

>

> One was HCM's Kiritsugu. Shame we never fought solo in POF era. Just a few group skirmishes. I would probably have lost solo but would have been a nice challenge.

>

> One was KYS's Soulbeast roamer. Shame I encountered him only once while I was on my Scourge Zergling. Needless to say, I got wrecked.

>

> One was RITE's Alex. Shame we never fought solo in POF era while I was on my solo roaming build. I would rate him as highly as Kiritsugu. Perhaps even more dangerous because Alex gives me the feels of a 'dirty, win at all cost' brawler who customises his builds heavily to counter foes. While Kiritsugu feels more like a straightforward and direct fighter.

>

> One was Hunt's @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" whom I tried fighting his Soulbeast once but our fight was interrupted. Just based on our opening exchanges though, I am 80% certain that I would have lost that fight.

>

> One was a plat ranked Soulbeast from AR server. He was running guildless though. But based on the skill levels he showed, he isn't too far from Kiritsugu level.

>

> The last was a BG server Soulbeast roamer. Also guildless. But no less skilful than the others mentioned here. We dueled and I won once out of 10 fights. I cried irl after that win.

I'm on EU and the only time I ever saw Kiritsugu was one time when he was on my server.. so I haven't fought him nor any of the others ofc. We used to chat a bit and roam but that was years ago and before pof. But in a year from now I'm transferring to US servers so I'll get to play with them eventually lol

> > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > > Because outstanding mobility combined with the ability to 100-0 someone is just a few seconds from extreme range with little risk appeals to a lot of players albeit a "certain type" of player.

> >

> > But the bandwagoners can't keep up with those of us that started playing ranger way before it was good lol

>

> I would agree with this.

> I've encountered many more soulbeasts in recent weeks but most are average players.

> So many of them, but so few highly skilled ones.

>

> Since POF was introduced, I can only recall ever meeting 6 highly skilled soulbeasts. (Those that can stand their ground and win, not those shoot and run shoot and run types).

>

> One was HCM's Kiritsugu. Shame we never fought solo in POF era. Just a few group skirmishes. I would probably have lost solo but would have been a nice challenge.

>

> One was KYS's Soulbeast roamer. Shame I encountered him only once while I was on my Scourge Zergling. Needless to say, I got wrecked.

>

> One was RITE's Alex. Shame we never fought solo in POF era while I was on my solo roaming build. I would rate him as highly as Kiritsugu. Perhaps even more dangerous because Alex gives me the feels of a 'dirty, win at all cost' brawler who customises his builds heavily to counter foes. While Kiritsugu feels more like a straightforward and direct fighter.

>

> One was Hunt's @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" whom I tried fighting his Soulbeast once but our fight was interrupted. Just based on our opening exchanges though, I am 80% certain that I would have lost that fight.

>

> One was a plat ranked Soulbeast from AR server. He was running guildless though. But based on the skill levels he showed, he isn't too far from Kiritsugu level.

>

> The last was a BG server Soulbeast roamer. Also guildless. But no less skilful than the others mentioned here. We dueled and I won once out of 10 fights. I cried irl after that win.

Oh and just to add, it is easy to tell a player's skill level during an opening exchange.

Skilled players bait defenses, are very unpredictable in that they don't always follow standard rotations, and know when to burst.

Kiritsugu is very unpredictable if you've fought him or watched his vids.

Spell of iniquity also baited me very well in our opening exchange before we were interrupted.

But the king of baiting has to belong to that guildless BG server roamer. Normal rangers open with longbow 4 + 2. He autos and allows you to run close before opening with longbow 3 + elite root + 4 + 2 and then mixes in all the maul and pet combos. He was a nightmare to fight. Shame I forgot his name.

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > > > Because outstanding mobility combined with the ability to 100-0 someone is just a few seconds from extreme range with little risk appeals to a lot of players albeit a "certain type" of player.

> > >

> > > But the bandwagoners can't keep up with those of us that started playing ranger way before it was good lol

> >

> > I would agree with this.

> > I've encountered many more soulbeasts in recent weeks but most are average players.

> > So many of them, but so few highly skilled ones.

> >

> > Since POF was introduced, I can only recall ever meeting 6 highly skilled soulbeasts. (Those that can stand their ground and win, not those shoot and run shoot and run types).

> >

> > One was HCM's Kiritsugu. Shame we never fought solo in POF era. Just a few group skirmishes. I would probably have lost solo but would have been a nice challenge.

> >

> > One was KYS's Soulbeast roamer. Shame I encountered him only once while I was on my Scourge Zergling. Needless to say, I got wrecked.

> >

> > One was RITE's Alex. Shame we never fought solo in POF era while I was on my solo roaming build. I would rate him as highly as Kiritsugu. Perhaps even more dangerous because Alex gives me the feels of a 'dirty, win at all cost' brawler who customises his builds heavily to counter foes. While Kiritsugu feels more like a straightforward and direct fighter.

> >

> > One was Hunt's @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" whom I tried fighting his Soulbeast once but our fight was interrupted. Just based on our opening exchanges though, I am 80% certain that I would have lost that fight.

> >

> > One was a plat ranked Soulbeast from AR server. He was running guildless though. But based on the skill levels he showed, he isn't too far from Kiritsugu level.

> >

> > The last was a BG server Soulbeast roamer. Also guildless. But no less skilful than the others mentioned here. We dueled and I won once out of 10 fights. I cried irl after that win.

>

> I'm on EU and the only time I ever saw Kiritsugu was one time when he was on my server.. so I haven't fought him nor any of the others ofc. We used to chat a bit and roam but that was years ago and before pof. But in a year from now I'm transferring to US servers so I'll get to play with them eventually lol

Look forward to seeing you in NA ?

> > @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > > > Because outstanding mobility combined with the ability to 100-0 someone is just a few seconds from extreme range with little risk appeals to a lot of players albeit a "certain type" of player.

> > >

> > > But the bandwagoners can't keep up with those of us that started playing ranger way before it was good lol

> >

> > I would agree with this.

> > I've encountered many more soulbeasts in recent weeks but most are average players.

> > So many of them, but so few highly skilled ones.

> >

> > Since POF was introduced, I can only recall ever meeting 6 highly skilled soulbeasts. (Those that can stand their ground and win, not those shoot and run shoot and run types).

> >

> > One was HCM's Kiritsugu. Shame we never fought solo in POF era. Just a few group skirmishes. I would probably have lost solo but would have been a nice challenge.

> >

> > One was KYS's Soulbeast roamer. Shame I encountered him only once while I was on my Scourge Zergling. Needless to say, I got wrecked.

> >

> > One was RITE's Alex. Shame we never fought solo in POF era while I was on my solo roaming build. I would rate him as highly as Kiritsugu. Perhaps even more dangerous because Alex gives me the feels of a 'dirty, win at all cost' brawler who customises his builds heavily to counter foes. While Kiritsugu feels more like a straightforward and direct fighter.

> >

> > One was Hunt's @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" whom I tried fighting his Soulbeast once but our fight was interrupted. Just based on our opening exchanges though, I am 80% certain that I would have lost that fight.

> >

> > One was a plat ranked Soulbeast from AR server. He was running guildless though. But based on the skill levels he showed, he isn't too far from Kiritsugu level.

> >

> > The last was a BG server Soulbeast roamer. Also guildless. But no less skilful than the others mentioned here. We dueled and I won once out of 10 fights. I cried irl after that win.

>

> Oh and just to add, it is easy to tell a player's skill level during an opening exchange.

>

> Skilled players bait defenses, are very unpredictable in that they don't always follow standard rotations, and know when to burst.

>

> Kiritsugu is very unpredictable if you've fought him or watched his vids.

>

> Spell of iniquity also baited me very well in our opening exchange before we were interrupted.

>

> But the king of baiting has to belong to that guildless BG server roamer. Normal rangers open with longbow 4 + 2. He autos and allows you to run close before opening with longbow 3 + elite root + 4 + 2 and then mixes in all the maul and pet combos. He was a nightmare to fight. Shame I forgot his name.

Appreciate the mention but, with how hard it is to fight Ranger as a Necro I think if I did win, it'd be purely due to exploiting my advantage over you. I don't think I'm particularly skilled with anything I play but, I'll at least give myself the credit of knowing how to play to what advantages I have, lol.

Also, I'm familiar with most of those players. I might be a little more critical of them than you but, I think the KYS Ranger is the best of that bunch (I know his name/have roamed with him). Kiri is impressively good at multi-target management and outnumbered fights but, every time I've ever fought him 1v1 or in team fights I don't feel threatened and have often won. Your description of the RITE Ranger (another player I know by name/have roamed with) is spot on, lol.

> @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> Because outstanding mobility combined with the ability to 100-0 someone is just a few seconds from extreme range with little risk appeals to a lot of players albeit a "certain type" of player.

You'd rather have people play something with 24/7 quickness/protection/stability , massive damaging aoe attacks or maybe something with stealth/teleport/detarget...hmmm maybe something literally pressing 1 to 5 on the keyboard creating a walking death zone around him..and there is more so what do you suggest people to play?

> @"GUFF.5692" said:

> Boonbeast folds like paper if they can't stealth and lose protection. Most camp longbow and virtually never weapon swap.

I'm pretty sure what most ppl refer to as boonbeast is axe/axe - sword warhorn. That build is quite tanky with permanent protection and 70-80% stab uptime.. but yes if they don't play that and they have squishy stats they do indeed break like glass. That is if they are terrible. :) But some of us aren't..

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> The fact that it can 100-0 someone with one pushback followed by rapid fire that's unblockable,rapid fire can dismount and you can pick people off from relative safety ie walls etc is appealing to alot of people

Partly, it's also that it's one of _only a handful_ of classes that's relatively easy to master.

Engineer? Ele? Mesmer? Thief? etc ==