Skyscale mount [Merged]

> @"Julischka Bean.7491" said:

> Lisa gulps hard. I do not have the Griffon, but, but I want this mount....please Anet...think of your shy, less talented players...make this mount attainable by ALL your playerbase...not just the young whippersnappers with the young whippersnapper coordination that goes along with being a young whippersnapper :)

>

> I, umm, after six years, am doing the ascended thing. I have my Necromancer decked out in ascended armor, weaponry, trinkets, backpack, and even an ascended water breather. If this beautiful creature takes teaming to get...well...I am going to take a deep breath and do so...just need to find a team or guild...or something...please Anet...I want it. If it is in my 60 year old power, I have a birthday coming up in June and am trying to get used to being 60, I will gladly do it..even pay double what the Griffon cost.

>

> Tally ho the mount :)

>

> Lisa-Choosing to be optimistic :)

You dont need an actual group for any part of the griffon. You just need to wait for a group to form, and follow the tag, smashing 1 with a ranged weapon. Honestly, I rarely talk in groups anymore, in any game. I just follow and destroy. This game is especially easy to solo play with a group, because you dont really need to be a part of the group, just in the area.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The skyscale will sure be a good pick in areas like Draconis Mons. The griffon will shine when you can divebomb and fly fast for long distances.

I usually use the griffon as main mount because of the snap verticality, instead of needing to charge it like the bunny. I dont find the superspeed dive as frequently useful. So I think the skyscale might be the new main choice for me.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"kiranslee.4829" said:

> > Im a bit worried for it not to become WoW mount , aka , destroyer of map exploration, i really hope they will have and continue to have limitations and not make springer or griffin outdated.

>

> I assume it will have similar restrictions to previous mounts and won't be totally free flying like WoW mounts. It's hard to tell from that video how far it can fly, but I suspect it will be similar to gliding and flying the griffon where it will gradually lose height over time so you can't keep flying forever.

>

> I'm intrigued by the wall jumping mechanic though. In that video it doesn't look like it jumps very high, but the combination of flight and wall jumping means it might be able to reach some places the springer/griffon currently can't. I don't think it would be anything game breaking, but just cool places I currently can't get to.

I got a feeling the moment we're about to reach that one sweet spot atop a tower or peak... BANG ! invisible wall.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Adenin.5973" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > So basically, there’s now no more need to use Springer.

> >

> > Nice I hated that bunny anyways.

> >

> > I was waiting since before PoF release for a mount like this. I hope we immediately get a real wyvern skin with this.

> > Also, some ppl claim this works more like a "helicopter" as opposed to the griffon that works more like an "airplane"

>

> Not just some people - Linsey Murdock from Anet said that in the article. Apparently it's slower than the griffon but will be able to gain height when taking off. (Presumably more than the griffon can from doing a wing flap on take-off.)

I don't think the clips they showed are really telling about the mount. We have one clip of the dragon leaping off of a cliff from a standing position, and it looks like it's the same height as a griffon wing flap..... so if it's the same height will the main gain in height come from landing on cliffs? And to that note, the clip they showed of the dragon "climbing a wall" looked like an already slanted cliffside that you could probably stand on without a mount, and it charged like the springer and kind of awkwardly flung itself up to the flat surface of the cliff.

So, my first impression from those cliffs outside of wanting a dragon mount in general are that the mount won't be as useful as a gryphon. But they may have just chose awkward clips or intentionally held back so as not to spoil the excitement of the mount at release.

I rather like the idea of it being able to scale up cliffsides and charge and fly when it wants to, but that doesn't seem like the way the mount is designed. More like it just anchors to one spot and is glued there until you use adrenaline and propel yourself up a bit.

Of the other clips I noticed, we see it doing a pseudo-dive similar to the gryphon, and I'm not entirely sure what the point of that is other than to do a nice twirl. You don't really dive straight down like the gryphon, and you don't go as fast as the gryphon, so I wonder how that twirl/dive comes into play with the rest of the mount's movement. Is it going to be a minor speed boost like the gryphon and allow for a higher vertical boost?

Lastly, we have the clip of it gliding towards the end and it looks like it's gliding down at the same speed as a gryphon. I get how this would be broken, but it seems like it would stay at the same altitude without gliding down to set it apart from the gryphon. Or that the vertical flap from a grounding position would be more like a straight shoot like the gryphon dive down but straight up instead? Just launching straight up, not doing one or two gryphon height flaps and then going into gliding mode?

So in short, from these clips, I feel like the main use of this mount will be to use it to potentially awkwardly shimmy up cliffs with springer-style endurance charges and then once high enough it seems like you would be better off just using bond of faith and switching back to gryphon?

Then again, I've gotten good enough at gryphon that I don't really find myself needing to scale up cliffs. Also, what kind of surfaces is it scaling up? Are they straight vertical, are they specific textures/ground/rock terrain? Are they semi-vertical cliffs that if you landed in the right spot on a gryphon you could do the same thing you're doing with the dragon?

They've done really well with all the mounts so far, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one. I'm just not sure that this video was a great representation of the mount or its functionality, whether that's intentional or unintentional.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/09/guild-wars-2-war-eternal-episode-will-launch-with-dragon-mounts/

@"LinseyMurdock.4165"

"As Linsey Murdock puts it, it’s “more like a helicopter” than a “jet engine,” though apparently it can also climb and wall-jump: “The Skyscale can actually stick to the wall and regain some of his endurance and then jump up and gain some altitude.” And naturally, it breathes fire too."

So let's get this right...

Skyscale can FLY (more like a helicopter) + CLIMB + WALL-JUMP + BREATHES FIRE...

All that awesome for Skyscale and no love for Portia???

Because anet has stated theres to many people scared of spiders. so we'll get a...mount that has the abilities of a spider but with no spider skin so the people scared of spiders can sleep easy at night, cause I'm SURE the giant spider in one of the living stories in chapter 4 didn't scare them away ;)

> @"Empanda.4617" said:

> Because anet has stated theres to many people scared of spiders. so we'll get a...mount that has the abilities of a spider but with no spider skin so the people scared of spiders can sleep easy at night, cause I'm SURE the giant spider in one of the living stories in chapter 4 didn't scare them away ;)

But how much time did they have to spend looking at that spider and how much time would they be confronted with spider mounts? I personally don't mind spiders (on a pc screen anyway...), but if someone does I feel no need to ruin their fun for mine.

Welp nothing about all spiders of the game and here, for a mount, it's a problem? Even if spider is added as a gemstore skin, you will not find it everywhere, apart maybe at world bosses... maybe anywhere due to arachnophile like me. It's hard to satisfy everyone, we still have bright effects and flashes, so we don't do anyrhing against epilepsy and vertigo but we have to do something for phobia? Counter-productive. Can be said about anything, sab sounds and graphics: so ban sab?

Sad we can't have spiders, since we already have them. Releasing it at a gemstore thing will make it rare.

But I will adapt, wait to see what the mount looks like.

Can't we wait and see, why claiming everything new OP? -_-

What use does it have? I mean, i like the fire breathing thing, could be a nice meta mount with opening damage... but unless they are designing new map functions similar to roller beetle wall breaking (in itself a silly gimmick which i didnt bother to spend mastery points).

I fail to see the point apart from a new opportunity to sell mount skins... (which, lets be honest.. it is)

Also I'm curious as to the masteries it may have, if any and whether they will be easy to unlock.

Personally, if this mount is easy to obtain and supercedes the griffon I'll be very upset. The griffon took some effort and was a great way of engaging with the new maps. It is still one of the things that keeps PoF maps from being a ghost town for new players.

Fingers crossed obtaining this mount is a rewarding process and has some meaningful and relevant purpose besides selling skins.

That said, if they produce dragon style skins up to the hummingbird quality for it, it will sell like hot cakes!

On a side note, if they can pull of skins like the humming bird, you have to wonder what they were on when designing the warclaw.. it's terrible!

Looks awesome, thanks very much to the team, impatient to check it out, I'm happy that we can climb wall with it. (Yeah I suggested that some times ago but bare hands like link in zbotw)

It's a great decision, dragon skins will sell very efficiently!

That doesn’t seem like climbing though, at least from the video. It seems more like it just sticks to one point and is stuck there until you use your endurance to push yourself off. And it doesn’t seem like it flaps any higher than the gryphon. Too soon to tell I guess

> @"Blur.3465" said:

> What I really hope for is a mount that can permanently fly and not 'drop'/lose altitude.

> It won't be game-breaking if ANet introduces something like:

> - No flying in JPs

> - Special Mastery Points for flying per area, so you can't fly instantly as soon as new area releases; something similar to what FFXIV has for flying.

I really hope not. It would be game-breaking because you could then simply ascend high in the sky and travel from point A to point B while completely skipping anything (canyons, cliffs, mountains, rivers, mobs, ecc.) in between. Not only would it make traveling trivial, it would also make all other mounts completely useless. At least the Griffon has the limitation that you need to reach a high place first before you can glide down from it.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> Seen the new flying mount, skyscale, and it looks great. Now this will this make the griffon obselete. Bye bye.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> No it won’t since griffon is still much faster. If anything, it’d make Springer obsolete.

I get the impression it'll have superior vertical mobility once it's up in the air and it can even gain that vertical ascent with relative ease compared to a griffon. The drawback being, time. It'll be a bit slower.

It might have better air control and fancy acrobatics like mid-air dodging, but getting from point A to point B will be slower on the skyscale overall compared to the griffon.

Private Helicopter VS Private Jet

And for getting up places the springer will still be king of speed. Springer can instantly jump up things. I wager the skyscale will either have to take a moment to build lift or slowly (relatively) wall climb up something that a springer could just two jump much quicker.

Skyscale is going to have an absolutely epic engage move though, hope it counts as a free fire field.

> @"inubasiri.8745" said:

> I think there's a huge opportunity to have the mount glide up on updrafts!

> Why?

> 1) It's a wyvern! Wyverns are native to Heart of Maguuma, so are updrafts.

> 2) I'm really missing a mount that can go up on updrafts.

> 3) More synthesis of HoT and PoF would be pretty cool imo.

To nitpick, it’s not a wyvern. It’s a dragon. A wyvern has two hind legs and the front legs are wings. A dragon has 4 legs and a pair of wings.

> @"Sir Alric.5078" said:

> > @"Blur.3465" said:

> > What I really hope for is a mount that can permanently fly and not 'drop'/lose altitude.

> > It won't be game-breaking if ANet introduces something like:

> > - No flying in JPs

> > - Special Mastery Points for flying per area, so you can't fly instantly as soon as new area releases; something similar to what FFXIV has for flying.

>

> I really hope not. It would be game-breaking because you could then simply ascend high in the sky and travel from point A to point B while completely skipping anything (canyons, cliffs, mountains, rivers, mobs, ecc.) in between. Not only would it make traveling trivial, it would also make all other mounts completely useless. At least the Griffon has the limitation that you need to reach a high place first before you can glide down from it.

It would not, as one would first have to work on specific things to be able to fly in X area, as I stated in my comment here.

Once one gets to know the area by working for these things, I see no harm in being able to actually fly and enjoy.

To be honest I really dislike how griffon flies and works, making it look clunky and like disabled when it flies or gets stuck in the cliffs while trying to climb and ascend.

And most mounts are already useless in comparison to griffon and raptor. I never mount my Skimmer and Springer unless in dire need to do so and that is absolutely rare.

I also never use the racing beetle unless I am in some extra hurry (which is almost never).

The way I see it, it could only make the game experience more enjoyable. You already skip so many things with griffon and raptor, there's rarely any 'danger' to dismount you hard.