Please "lock" Level-80 Boosters for new players!

> @"Constipator.4537" said:

> This might be a necro but I just wanted to add I just started up and have 0 idea what to do. I boosted my toon to 80 then I don't understand what i'm suppose to do next. This game does a really bad job of familiarizing the player with their abilities via tutorials and instead just kinda throws you into the fire with no direction added as well. I literally understand nothing in this game but i want to play and it looks really interesting but as of this moment i'm pretty turned off because I'm pretty much at square one and stuck in a pitfall.

and what prevents you from learning?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> This might be a necro but I just wanted to add I just started up and have 0 idea what to do. I boosted my toon to 80 then I don't understand what i'm suppose to do next. This game does a really bad job of familiarizing the player with their abilities via tutorials and instead just kinda throws you into the fire with no direction added as well. I literally understand nothing in this game but i want to play and it looks really interesting but as of this moment i'm pretty turned off because I'm pretty much at square one and stuck in a pitfall.

Follow your personal story to start with. You'll see prompts in the top right of your screen, or occasionally via email. As a boosted level 80 character with some nice armour etc, you will have some advantages but GW2 downscales you while you are in lower level maps.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> What you suggest may be right, but also could be perceived really bad by somebody who purchased the game.

>

> A friend ask another friend to come to gw2 to play together.

> The friend is not sure cause he doesn't like to lvl up in another mmo, but hey there's a boost lvl cap!

> So the friend tries but he's stuck to use the boost till 1000 ap ( which are nothing to me... combo fields, mechanics, attack glitches and so on can be learned through hours of playing, and could not be necessarily related to the number of achies ).

>

> Also what about a solo player?

> If you buy the game you'll have a boost! But you can only use it after hours of playing!

>

> Though i pretty understand and share your thoughts, i am not sure about the solution you propose.

It doesn't take long to get to lvl 80, yesterday I saw a new gw2 player stream and he reached lvl 80 on his 5th day with about 56 hours played

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Constipator.4537" said:

> > This might be a necro but I just wanted to add I just started up and have 0 idea what to do. I boosted my toon to 80 then I don't understand what i'm suppose to do next. This game does a really bad job of familiarizing the player with their abilities via tutorials and instead just kinda throws you into the fire with no direction added as well. I literally understand nothing in this game but i want to play and it looks really interesting but as of this moment i'm pretty turned off because I'm pretty much at square one and stuck in a pitfall.

>

> and what prevents you from learning?

the fact I don't understand what my character's kit entails or how i'm actually suppose to play the toon. granted it is an engineer that i've boosted and from what i've read they are among the three toughest classes to learn in the game. i don't have holosmith unlock so i've been using some build where you use engineering kits, granted i don't know if that build is relevant still or not. it just seems like there is something i'm missing about this. also i think i'm slowly understanding the game a bit more even though it's not that well explained, for example mastery levels are somewhat like bonus levels and when you have a mastery trait learned you can apply mastery points to learn that trait. Also in order to have gliding you have to have HoT expansion and get to the third chapter or in order to get a mount you have to do the prologue for PoF. I'm still entirely lost when it comes to the crafting items/professions. I've been saving them up and not really sure what is the most useful for my class. lastly i've not used any of the temp buff tokens because i'm unsure whether i can make use of them granted how little familiarity or experience i have within the game. should i just save them until i figure it out or do they make a huge difference if i know what i'm doing.

Btw are mastery levels shared across all characters? I wasn't sure if it worked like how paragon levels work in D3.

> @"Cleopatra.4068" said:

> I don't know why real new players would want to jump straight to end game content.

I certainly didn't but trying to keep up with folks on mounts and gliders was very painful. The worst part were the story spoilers since you have to finish the HoT opener to unlock gliding. Not sure if you needed to finish the PoF starter or not to unlock the raptor if you've got the Lily of the Elon pass. While the PoF intro fight against the Herald was painful I was aware that I was doing it on a class that I had little experience with and using suboptimal gear (the exotic Soldier's) and build.

Dribbling out skills like levelling grinds do never helped me learn any faster. In fact they're far more likely to instill bad habits. Personally I need to see the skill synergies in toto before they click. I guess some people just need their hands held.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> God forbid you have to play the MMORPG game you buy... Honestly, I have been against the booster from the beginning, but if it _**HAS**_ to exist, it should be gated by earning lv80 for the first time.

Really going to depend on the features it gates. Maps or elite specializations are fine. Something that affects the Core Tyria experience on the order of mounts and gliders? Absolutely not. I don't care how fast some people think they can grind out 80 it's a slog especially when one feels external pressure to do it.

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Constipator.4537" said:

> > > This might be a necro but I just wanted to add I just started up and have 0 idea what to do. I boosted my toon to 80 then I don't understand what i'm suppose to do next. This game does a really bad job of familiarizing the player with their abilities via tutorials and instead just kinda throws you into the fire with no direction added as well. I literally understand nothing in this game but i want to play and it looks really interesting but as of this moment i'm pretty turned off because I'm pretty much at square one and stuck in a pitfall.

> >

> > and what prevents you from learning?

>

> the fact I don't understand what my character's kit entails or how i'm actually suppose to play the toon. granted it is an engineer that i've boosted and from what i've read they are among the three toughest classes to learn in the game. i don't have holosmith unlock so i've been using some build where you use engineering kits, granted i don't know if that build is relevant still or not. it just seems like there is something i'm missing about this. also i think i'm slowly understanding the game a bit more even though it's not that well explained, for example mastery levels are somewhat like bonus levels and when you have a mastery trait learned you can apply mastery points to learn that trait. Also in order to have gliding you have to have HoT expansion and get to the third chapter or in order to get a mount you have to do the prologue for PoF. I'm still entirely lost when it comes to the crafting items/professions. I've been saving them up and not really sure what is the most useful for my class. lastly i've not used any of the temp buff tokens because i'm unsure whether i can make use of them granted how little familiarity or experience i have within the game. should i just save them until i figure it out or do they make a huge difference if i know what i'm doing.

>

> Btw are mastery levels shared across all characters? I wasn't sure if it worked like how paragon levels work in D3.

Mastery-points and -levels are accountwide, so when you play with a 80-character experience you gain go towards the mastery trait you have unlocked and "active".

And as you have experienced the level 80 booster basically opens up all options for the class and the game without a proper introduction, leaving the new/inexperienced player to sort through and learn a heap of new information on their own. Hence why many on this forums recommend that a new player should level a new character from 1 to 80 the traditional way to learn the ins and outs of GW2; you get to encounter the features you mentioned (and much more) in a more evenly paced manner. You can get by with the help of the wiki and the community, but still...

There is nothing like trying to explain what 'cc and breakbars are in a fight against the vinetooth when 30 of the people there don't know what it is because they insta-80'd and failing the vinetooth because people couldn't understand how 'cc works or get the concept of "saving" their 'cc for the breakbar to appear rather than spamming all their 'cc as regular attacks.

Perhaps the level 80's boost should be locked behind a "challenge" for people without level 80 characters. Prove you know the basics like taking down a breakbar and you can have your level boost.

The thing that gets me is that freshly boosted toons are thrown into Silverwastes first before you can even agree that yes, this is the one I wanted boosted, because they want you to get a feel for the profession. So instead of locking it down behind AP or whatnot, maybe update it to not toss newbies into an almost dead zone? Maybe make an instanced Lion's Arch where there's some sort of gladiator event going on that they participate in to see if they like the profession before going into real Lion's Arch?

Sigh just put an icon at the side of that character name that shows us they are a new player or a returning one. Just like FF14.

It does wonders if you don't want to carry the new player you know he's new and you can refuse entry into your group, he gets to use his 80 boost and you get fair warning before inviting scrubs.

This is really simple guys also stop compare this game to ESO, ESO is trash and failed miserably please don't compare successful games to clearly failed and shitty games tyvm.

> @"Nidome.1365" said:

> There is nothing like trying to explain what 'cc and breakbars are in a fight against the vinetooth when 30 of the people there don't know what it is because they insta-80'd and failing the vinetooth because people couldn't understand how 'cc works or get the concept of "saving" their 'cc for the breakbar to appear rather than spamming all their 'cc as regular attacks.

Much like there's nothing in the levelling experience that teaches folks what a breakbar is or what your CC skills are much less which ones are most effective. It's not a boosted 80 problem.

> @"Genesis.5169" said:

> Sigh just put an icon at the side of that character name that shows us they are a new player or a returning one. Just like FF14.

> It does wonders if you don't want to carry the new player you know he's new and you can refuse entry into your group, he gets to use his 80 boost and you get fair warning before inviting scrubs.

>

> This is really simple guys also stop compare this game to ESO, ESO is trash and failed miserably please don't compare successful games to clearly failed and kitten games tyvm.

How would the new toon remove the icon though? And the lack of the icon doesn't necessarily mean that person is competent.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> While I sympathise it will never happen because it amounts to telling people who've purchased a game that they can't play it. Simple as that.

You don't need to be lv80 to play the game. Only endgame where shit gets harder. Throwing new users into the lion's den and not pointing which way is up is just unfair to everyone involved.

> You don't need to be lv80 to play the game. Only endgame where kitten gets harder. Throwing new users into the lion's den and not pointing which way is up is just unfair to everyone involved.

No, if you have never played GW2 and you buy POF wanting to play the content you just paid for, they include a lvl 80 boost so that you can do that. Without the boost, you're paying for content you can't even play. They want to encourage new players to buy the expansions, and that means letting them play them.

I hope they never restrict the 80 boost. I wouldn’t have come back. If I somehow did, I’d have gotten bored not being allowed to do fun things. My wife would never have tried the game. What a great sales pitch... “Hey, try this game. After a hundred hours of utter boredom, we can do something together that you may or may not enjoy.”

The game could definitely benefit from tutorials. A lot! I still don’t understand fields and break bars all that well. Well enough to do my part, but mostly that’s just learning which specific abilities to use on a specific character. I have absolutely no idea what the various stats do on gear, and don’t even know which stats are on the gear I get. I just get what guides say is desired gear. Harrier’s (2 Magi earrings for fractals) is all I know for the Druid. All berserker for Ele. What stats does harrier have? No clue. If I decide to raid, I’ll probably try to learn more. Otherwise I just don’t care.

I love the experience I had introducing my wife to the game, and using a boost to 80 was a huge part of how it went well. She had never played a 3d video game before. We played a few levels in the starter zone to be sure she was okay with ranger. Boosted, went back to the starter zone. The boost let me actually show her hearts, vistas, points of interest, waypoints, hero points, events, a jumping puzzle, etc. (some are blocked if you’re not high enough level) She also had better gear, so had an easier time in the zone. When a few friends were online, we went to HoT and unlocked some hero points and gliding, and also went through PoF story to unlock the raptor. She enjoys gliding and the mounts, so I’m glad she wasn’t told by the game “sorry, you’re not allowed to have fun yet!” And the fact she could do things with me that I would do anyways meant she was helping me. That is an awesome thing to have in a game, instead of other MMOs where people get dragged through boring content waiting to play the real stuff. And it is absolutely fantastic that she got to do RIBA, HP trains, metas, world bosses, etc. Nothing helps someone feel like they can succeed at the game more than seeing 25% of the people at an event dead while you’re still alive.

I do hope they figure out a way to address the problems others are having, but without taking away the great experience that was available to me as a result of the level 80 boosts. It does sound like tutorials would help a lot of the problems, but it might just be me wanting to see a solution that doesn’t kill my fun.

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Constipator.4537" said:

> > > This might be a necro but I just wanted to add I just started up and have 0 idea what to do. I boosted my toon to 80 then I don't understand what i'm suppose to do next. This game does a really bad job of familiarizing the player with their abilities via tutorials and instead just kinda throws you into the fire with no direction added as well. I literally understand nothing in this game but i want to play and it looks really interesting but as of this moment i'm pretty turned off because I'm pretty much at square one and stuck in a pitfall.

> >

> > and what prevents you from learning?

>

> the fact I don't understand what my character's kit entails or how i'm actually suppose to play the toon. granted it is an engineer that i've boosted and from what i've read they are among the three toughest classes to learn in the game. i don't have holosmith unlock so i've been using some build where you use engineering kits, granted i don't know if that build is relevant still or not.

Up until relatively recently engineer was "lots of work for maybe less than or equal results". It required juggling through multiple kits and even then it wasn't the best for damage nor for healing nor for other stuff. With the recent patches the damage is at least somewhere at the top and with the most recent patch it might be great for removing conditions and possibly healing. Perhaps a consequence of being a "jack of all trades, master of none". At least they got rid of/stopped using the "your skills do random things" idea.

> it just seems like there is something i'm missing about this. also i think i'm slowly understanding the game a bit more even though it's not that well explained, for example mastery levels are somewhat like bonus levels and when you have a mastery trait learned you can apply mastery points to learn that trait.

Well you need to level your mastery the same way you would level your character except the mastery exp bar is account wide and mastery exp can only be earned with a lv80. The exp is also region specific. You can only earn core mastery exp in core maps, Maguuma mastery exp in HoT maps and Desert mastery exp in PoF maps.

> Also in order to have gliding you have to have HoT expansion and get to the third chapter or in order to get a mount you have to do the prologue for PoF.

Core was not designed to require mounts or gliding.

> I'm still entirely lost when it comes to the crafting items/professions. I've been saving them up and not really sure what is the most useful for my class.

Armor crafting is pretty simple.

necromancer, mesmer, elementalist - tailor

thief, engineer, ranger - leatherworker

warrior, guardian, revanant - armorsmith

core engi - huntsman

scrapper/holosmith - weaponsmith

you can switch crafting professions without losing progress but it will cost you depending on the level of the profession you are switching to or you can simply level them on 4 characters and have everything covered. The thing to keep in mind is *level them on characters you will not delete* because crafting levels are character bound.

> lastly i've not used any of the temp buff tokens because i'm unsure whether i can make use of them granted how little familiarity or experience i have within the game. should i just save them until i figure it out or do they make a huge difference if i know what i'm doing.

>

If you mean boosters it depends. Exp/karma/crafting booster you might want to consider the best time to use them but stuff like strength/armor/regen aren't really that impactful. The speed booster is basically irrelevant once you get the class based speed boost trait or utility or a mount.

> Btw are mastery levels shared across all characters? I wasn't sure if it worked like how paragon levels work in D3.

Points are shared because they are from achievements and all achievements are account wide. Masteries levels are also account wide which is why you can use mounts/glide/etc on a low level character.

Maybe this is just me but...

Any new mmo I get into I immediately look up a guide to how things work.

The internet is right there and I am very surprised people do not do this more often than not. I had boosted myself in SWTOR because I wanted to test content with my boyfriend. He told me about key mechanics and whatnot, but for the most part I looked up builds, rotations, etc because that is what I have the habit of doing.

I did that for my first character as well eventually. I honestly think people should research any fresh mmo to get into, perhaps on the side, while they level so they can get a full grasp. Like how you read a manual when you are building something. It does wonders imo.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > @"Genesis.5169" said:

> > Sigh just put an icon at the side of that character name that shows us they are a new player or a returning one. Just like FF14.

> > It does wonders if you don't want to carry the new player you know he's new and you can refuse entry into your group, he gets to use his 80 boost and you get fair warning before inviting scrubs.

> >

> > This is really simple guys also stop compare this game to ESO, ESO is trash and failed miserably please don't compare successful games to clearly failed and kitten games tyvm.

>

> How would the new toon remove the icon though? And the lack of the icon doesn't necessarily mean that person is competent.

>

> > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > While I sympathise it will never happen because it amounts to telling people who've purchased a game that they can't play it. Simple as that.

>

> You don't need to be lv80 to play the game. Only endgame where kitten gets harder. Throwing new users into the lion's den and not pointing which way is up is just unfair to everyone involved.

Over time, after 40 hours of playtime it gets removed, thats the way its done in FF14 i suggest it be higher there are more thinks to take into account here like combo fields, break bars etc, even tho you can play most the game w/o utilizing there should be some fundamentals in your play style.

My take of the boosters is that I can understand it being limited on someone for their first class simply on the factor of them learning the game itself which they would have gained from leveling that character.

I disagree with all arguments against it in regards to players not learning the class as I find that largely irrelevant. Nobody is playing meta builds when leveling and they’re most likely sticking to whatever initially worked for them during that process. They won’t know their class beyond that anyway. They’ll have to learn the meta build. All other situations where meta builds really are not prominently *forced* would not be impacted.

I also don’t feel that those that blindly follow meta builds, without knowing why the build is what it is, have any say in this matter. How can they make that claim when they themselves have absolutely no idea about their class other than what someone else has told them?

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> I also don’t feel that those that blindly follow meta builds, without knowing why the build is what it is, have any say in this matter. How can they make that claim when they themselves have absolutely no idea about their class other than what someone else has told them?

Because we play the game too. I may not know why my Elementalist does more damage with berserker gear, but I do know I wouldn’t be able to do any of the things I enjoy if I were still trudging through leveling a character.

You seem to want people to know how to play. I am 1000000% for that. I wish there were tutorials explaining things, better ways to practice complicated stuff, etc. I know one of the things that helped me most so far was actually a reset mote for an achievement in a story chapter. I got to try the same thing over and over until I figured out how to do it. I desperately wish the game had more situations like that where you can learn something by efficiently repeating as needed.

Why do you want to prevent people from doing things like using the actual spec they will need to learn, and participating in large group content that is 1000x more fun than doing a heart while leveling, when you seem to really just want people to be able to learn how to play more effectively? This feels like saying I wish people would drive better, so therefore I support making people wait until they’re 21 to drive. Just delaying when someone starts learning doesn’t magically make them know things, it just delays the actual learning.

> @"Genesis.5169" said:

> Sigh just put an icon at the side of that character name that shows us they are a new player or a returning one. Just like FF14.

> It does wonders if you don't want to carry the new player you know he's new and you can refuse entry into your group, he gets to use his 80 boost and you get fair warning before inviting scrubs.

>

> This is really simple guys also stop compare this game to ESO, ESO is trash and failed miserably please don't compare successful games to clearly failed and kitten games tyvm.

This would burn me and one reason why I've stopped playing FF14 is because of that. I've played plenty of mmos. Being marked a newbie when clearly not new to the playstyle made me seethe when I knew what the fuck I was doing but got an 'oh newbie scrub, shooshoo, shooshoo' from groups.

> @"Richard.8207" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > I also don’t feel that those that blindly follow meta builds, without knowing why the build is what it is, have any say in this matter. How can they make that claim when they themselves have absolutely no idea about their class other than what someone else has told them?

>

> Because we play the game too. I may not know why my Elementalist does more damage with berserker gear, but I do know I wouldn’t be able to do any of the things I enjoy if I were still trudging through leveling a character.

>

> You seem to want people to know how to play. I am 1000000% for that. I wish there were tutorials explaining things, better ways to practice complicated stuff, etc. I know one of the things that helped me most so far was actually a reset mote for an achievement in a story chapter. I got to try the same thing over and over until I figured out how to do it. I desperately wish the game had more situations like that where you can learn something by efficiently repeating as needed.

>

> Why do you want to prevent people from doing things like using the actual spec they will need to learn, and participating in large group content that is 1000x more fun than doing a heart while leveling, when you seem to really just want people to be able to learn how to play more effectively? This feels like saying I wish people would drive better, so therefore I support making people wait until they’re 21 to drive. Just delaying when someone starts learning doesn’t magically make them know things, it just delays the actual learning.

>

>

Did you quote the wrong post? It doesn't make much sense as a response to mine.