No Down State Week Apr 26th - May 3rd

XenesisII.1540

We already had an influx of PVE pugs, who probably think the event has already started and taking up queue spots, to our own defensive border against organized zergs, because they think they can fight outside the squad, without party support.

We couldn't even defend a T3 objective against two zergs, nevermind fight one server and wipe them, not with our numbers though and with skill lag.

Nevermind getting them to join voice comms, or get them to roll a class or build that can support the zerg and their party properly.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"CrimsonNeonite.1048" said:

> We already had an influx of PVE pugs, who probably think the event has already started and taking up queue spots to our own defensive border against organized zergs, because they think they can fight outside the squad. Nevermind getting them joining voice comms, or using a proper class or build that can support the zerg and their party properly.

>

>

You just summed up what is wrong with WvW :)

> @"maxwelgm.4315" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > pop your fingers, grab a drink, and prepare to get one shot all week long!

> >

> > So, any day that ends with a 'y'?

> >

> > The only thing this event will mean is queues. Great when you're already on the server (with full pop per map) but pretty crummy if you're not.

>

> To be fair, when playing with an actual squad (i.e having FBs) there's plenty of room for ressing in a pinch or even things like Illusion of Life to salvage the aftermath of a condi bomb. But with no downed state it's all fun and games, just bring full scourge+FB and laugh at everyone else on the map

Couple of rangers would make short work of all the scourges. That's what happened before during the no downstate week. People automatically assumed "lets bring more scourges and firebrands", doesn't work if they're getting focused. Same with firebrands, they're terribly easy to kill with rangers, thiefs, and revs.

No downstate week is basically a week to separate the good players from those that rely on sustain. It's basically an anti-sustain event lol.

> @"DeadlySynz.3471" said:

> > @"maxwelgm.4315" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > pop your fingers, grab a drink, and prepare to get one shot all week long!

> > >

> > > So, any day that ends with a 'y'?

> > >

> > > The only thing this event will mean is queues. Great when you're already on the server (with full pop per map) but pretty crummy if you're not.

> >

> > To be fair, when playing with an actual squad (i.e having FBs) there's plenty of room for ressing in a pinch or even things like Illusion of Life to salvage the aftermath of a condi bomb. But with no downed state it's all fun and games, just bring full scourge+FB and laugh at everyone else on the map

>

> Couple of rangers would make short work of all the scourges. That's what happened before during the no downstate week. People automatically assumed "lets bring more scourges and firebrands", doesn't work if they're getting focused. Same with firebrands, they're terribly easy to kill with rangers, thiefs, and revs.

>

> No downstate week is basically a week to separate the good players from those that rely on sustain. It's basically an anti-sustain event lol.

I agree but its also a event which favour roamers over offensive zerg builds like berserker ele or (near) berserker rev or viper scourge. Those players won't have any fun with this event like last time . Since I play such stuff I won't play in this event. The last time shortly after the event we had a poll which basically said 50% didn't like it while 50 liked it. I'm curious of the 50% who didn't liked stay away. In theory I or others could play also other build but I won't do that because I don't support events which purposely exclude players or builds.

It will be interesting to see if others come to similar conclusion and stay away from wvw during this event.

> @"Kovu.7560" said:

> > @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> > Hey, scrapper's unique mechanic is useless again!

>

> I don't think scrapper is going to fall out of favor anytime soon.

>

> Unrelated I'm a little sad, I'm on vacation (and will not have internet or the time to play) from the 26th until the 5th. I wish they'd announce these things sooner.

>

> ~ Kovu

Same!!

> @"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:

> > @"Vova.2640" said:

> > Going to be a terrible week for any squishy class...

> > I don't really understand why people like this event. All it does is it makes any class that does not have 20k+ hp and a bunch of passive defenses useless for a week.

> >

> > Such a shame.

>

> No it doesn't.

>

> It makes bad unaware players useless for a week. It also evens out skilled play vs outnumbered gank squads even more.

>

> 1vs1 before and after this event are the same, as whoever downs the other first would get the stomp. So build and class etc etc doesn't change, what changes is skill level vs numbers, as it will now be possible to focus a target, kill them and move onto the next. While before, you down someone and you had to make the choice to eat a bomb to stomp, often means getting killed before the stomp finishes or they would res the down which can be done faster than a stomp and you can't DPS through the heals.

>

> Gank squads suffer the most here, where they are of lower skill and require more numbers to win. I face gank squads all the time, and I can down any one of them, but never finish. Those same squads on the last no down state event I wiped all 4 of them solo as I didn't have to secure the down with a stomp or DPS as downed state favors greater numbers.

EXACTLY!!!!

perfect description of downed state mechanic.

> @"Lord of the Fire.6870" said:

> > @"DeadlySynz.3471" said:

> > > @"maxwelgm.4315" said:

> > > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > pop your fingers, grab a drink, and prepare to get one shot all week long!

> > > >

> > > > So, any day that ends with a 'y'?

> > > >

> > > > The only thing this event will mean is queues. Great when you're already on the server (with full pop per map) but pretty crummy if you're not.

> > >

> > > To be fair, when playing with an actual squad (i.e having FBs) there's plenty of room for ressing in a pinch or even things like Illusion of Life to salvage the aftermath of a condi bomb. But with no downed state it's all fun and games, just bring full scourge+FB and laugh at everyone else on the map

> >

> > Couple of rangers would make short work of all the scourges. That's what happened before during the no downstate week. People automatically assumed "lets bring more scourges and firebrands", doesn't work if they're getting focused. Same with firebrands, they're terribly easy to kill with rangers, thiefs, and revs.

> >

> > No downstate week is basically a week to separate the good players from those that rely on sustain. It's basically an anti-sustain event lol.

>

> I agree but its also a event which favour roamers over offensive zerg builds like berserker ele or (near) berserker rev or viper scourge. Those players won't have any fun with this event like last time . Since I play such stuff I won't play in this event. The last time shortly after the event we had a poll which basically said 50% didn't like it while 50 liked it. I'm curious of the 50% who didn't liked stay away. In theory I or others could play also other build but I won't do that because I don't support events which purposely exclude players or builds.

>

> It will be interesting to see if others come to similar conclusion and stay away from wvw during this event.

It does not favor any build. Nothing changes outside of you not being able to be ressed by your larger group. If you were running a zerg build before, you will have died to the same people, nothing changes. What does change is that unaware zerk eles that get downed can't mist back into their larger group for a res. It means being a better player, watching your position and who is around you. If you are running a zerg build and not running with one, you are playing wrong, if you are running a zerg build and running with a zerg and get killed by a roamer, you were out of position or made a mistake, the only thing that changed was having downed state as a carry for poor play.

Well I don't mind if other people enjoy it, but it's less enjoyable for me killing my opponents if they aren't able to fight back as it becomes less of a challenge and more people just go for the burst builds to make them feel better for the week. I'm ok with it boosting morale of allies but it isn't my cup of dog biscuits. There are people who enjoy it and this is for them though, whilst the others will be there to take advantage of the xp boosts.

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> Well I don't mind if other people enjoy it, but it's less enjoyable for me killing my opponents if they aren't able to fight back as it becomes less of a challenge and more people just go for the burst builds to make them feel better for the week. I'm ok with it boosting morale of allies but it isn't my cup of dog biscuits. There are people who enjoy it and this is for them though, whilst the others will be there to take advantage of the xp boosts.

The xp-boost is the main-appeal for me here.^^

i was just in a 3v1.. me vs spellbreaker, reaper and mesmer. i save replay with shadowplay.. i count.. i down them 6 times.. but they still win cus they can press F for 2 seconds.. yea that seems like skill.. such coordination.. very hard to pull off.. indeed.. seriously dont feel like playing this game right now until next week when theres no downed state..

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> Well I don't mind if other people enjoy it, but it's less enjoyable for me killing my opponents if they aren't able to fight back as it becomes less of a challenge and more people just go for the burst builds to make them feel better for the week. I'm ok with it boosting morale of allies but it isn't my cup of dog biscuits. There are people who enjoy it and this is for them though, whilst the others will be there to take advantage of the xp boosts.

I find downed state rather punishing for the victim. Yes, sometimes you can "fight back", but usually it's only good for rallying. Worst are downed state battles lol

It's also good for practice duels, since you can let the opponent get back up, or yourself. In most cases though it feels bad, especially when the people who downed you take their time. With mount stomping, quite often there's no downed state anyway. There are always people who stay mounted just to finish off enemy players their buddies put down. Just a hint for those: You get no kill for doing this.

> @"FaBi.9048" said:

> another week of offtime and ninjacapping incoming, cause attacking a defended and sieged up objectiv is pointless..

> also the 10 seconds lasting 60vs60 blobfights will be "great fun"

Offtime and ninja capping is always a thing, mostly due to coverage of one server over another.

Fight length doesn't change, zerg vs zerg fights go the same way as you don't stomp, most zerg fights are face roll into each other and the one with greater numbers wins because of higher DPS and being able to get rally off of the other smaller group, so it's a snowball effect for the larger group as it's almost impossible for the other smaller group to ever turn it around once downs start happening. What changes are skill guilds become a thing again, last event I saw some guilds I had not seen in forever pop back up, reduced numbers, but still 15-20. It was a sight for sore eyes watching them so tightly stacked they look like 5 people, prebuffing, stealth bomb baiting and rotating and cutting a line straight though the zerg twice their size and then turning around and wiping the left overs.

If you are being one pushed in 10 seconds, well, I have bad news for you, you are the low skilled players we are talking about. The only way this happens right now is in fights where numbers are lopsided to an extreme, or no one is running proper builds because they are so used to balling up and being carried by numbers and being rallied or resed.

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> i was just in a 3v1.. me vs spellbreaker, reaper and mesmer. i save replay with shadowplay.. i count.. i down them 6 times.. but they still win cus they can press F for 2 seconds.. yea that seems like skill.. such coordination.. very hard to pull off.. indeed.. seriously dont feel like playing this game right now until next week when theres no downed state..

I feel the same way when fighting a group (especially if one is a ranger since the pet res is ridiculously op in that situation). I yolo bomb groups all the time and drop 3-8 constantly. Looking forward to another week where those downs are now confirmed kills.

> @"Lord of the Fire.6870" said:

> > @"DeadlySynz.3471" said:

> > > @"maxwelgm.4315" said:

> > > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > pop your fingers, grab a drink, and prepare to get one shot all week long!

> > > >

> > > > So, any day that ends with a 'y'?

> > > >

> > > > The only thing this event will mean is queues. Great when you're already on the server (with full pop per map) but pretty crummy if you're not.

> > >

> > > To be fair, when playing with an actual squad (i.e having FBs) there's plenty of room for ressing in a pinch or even things like Illusion of Life to salvage the aftermath of a condi bomb. But with no downed state it's all fun and games, just bring full scourge+FB and laugh at everyone else on the map

> >

> > Couple of rangers would make short work of all the scourges. That's what happened before during the no downstate week. People automatically assumed "lets bring more scourges and firebrands", doesn't work if they're getting focused. Same with firebrands, they're terribly easy to kill with rangers, thiefs, and revs.

> >

> > No downstate week is basically a week to separate the good players from those that rely on sustain. It's basically an anti-sustain event lol.

>

> I agree but its also a event which favour roamers over offensive zerg builds like berserker ele or (near) berserker rev or viper scourge. Those players won't have any fun with this event like last time . Since I play such stuff I won't play in this event. The last time shortly after the event we had a poll which basically said 50% didn't like it while 50 liked it. I'm curious of the 50% who didn't liked stay away. In theory I or others could play also other build but I won't do that because I don't support events which purposely exclude players or builds.

>

> It will be interesting to see if others come to similar conclusion and stay away from wvw during this event.

As a roamer/havoc and to be fair I think you summed it up. This event does give an edge to the roamers/havocs. Its build differences, zergs gear to hit other zergs and plan on support where as roamers/havocs have to either gear to hit and get out or get in, get hit some and then get out. Either way they need to gear out to be more self-sustaining since they don't plan on support. Self-sustaining builds are not as effective in zergs which requires other specialized builds. To be honest that's why I like this event because it neutralizes some of the numbers always win logic even if you crippled the otherside. That's the same reason wouldn't mind seeing a no rez week where the dead have to respawn so it would make more of a difference if you got a downed player back up before they died and give more meaning to people you were able to drop before numbers pulled you down. Larger numbers are still going to have an edge and in a zerg vs zerg it will come down to the side that stacks better and follows appropriate leads, if anything it should be a great practice week for larger force maneuvers.