[SUGGESTION] Past life levels beyond level 80

Years ago, I used to play DDO. Once you hit maximum level, you could quest for a heart of wood / heart of blood.

If I recall, the heart of wood would allow you to respec your character and the heart of blood allowed a 'true reincarnation' where you could change your race, class etc and re-start at level 1 or higher.

We can already respec our characters at will, but I would like to see reincarnation where I could affectively recreate my character from scratch with a new class.

My suggestion is to introduce the ability to obtain up to 3 Reincarnation Shards from various level 80 quests / activities. These shards could be crafted into a reincarnation / resurrection crystal in the mystic forge.

The lesser reincarnation crystal would require fewer items and cost less to craft. The true resurrection crystal would require more items and cost more to craft.

The recipes would be similar to creating a legendary item.

Lesser Reincarnation Crystal = 1 Reincarnation Shard + 3 Anthology of Heroes + 250 Potent Blood + 1 Gift of Reincarnation

Gift of Reincarnation = 1 Gift of "Class" Past Life** + 1 Gift of Blood + 1 Bloodstone Shard + 250 Large Bones

e.g. True Resurrection Crystal = 1 Resurrection Fragment + 250 Powerful Blood + Gift of Resurrection + Gift of "Class" Past Life**

Resurrection Fragment= 3 Reincarnation Shards + 1 Gift of Reincarnation

Gift of Reincarnation = 1 Gift of "Class" Past Life** + 1 Gift of Blood + 1 Bloodstone Shard + 250 Large Bones

Gift of Resurrection = 1 Gift of Bloodstone Magic + 1 Gift of Light + 10 Bloodstone Shards + 10 Mystic Runestones

**Gift of "Class" Past Life recipe would be purchased fromHobbs in Lions Arch and be relevant to your current class

Gift of "Class" Past Life = 25 tomes of knowledge + 25 Mystic Crystals + 1 Augur Stone + item specific to current class

e.g.

Elementalist - 10 Crystal Cores

Engineer -25 Mine Kits

Guardian - 1 Oiled Orichalum Shield Boss

Mesmer - 25 Quartz Crystals

Necromancer - 10 Large Skulls

Ranger - 25 Pet Whistles

Revenant - 1 Oiled Orichalum Hammer Head

Thief - 10 Harpy Feathers

Warrior - 1 Oiled Orichalum Axe Blade

Double click on the crystal to consume and perform the lesser reincarnation / true resurrection

The lesser reincarnation would: -

allow you to re-create your character with a new class starting at level 1 - your name would remain the same.

at level 25, 1 trait bonus from your 'past' life that would be applied to your character. This bonus would be based on your 'old' class (list to be decided by Arena Net).

100 spirit shards

1 spent reincarnation shard which can be sold to a vendor for gold (5 gold)

1 tome of knowledge

The true resurrection would: -

allow total makeover of your character including new name class, race and sex starting at level 10.

at level 25, 1 trait bonus from your 'past' life that would be applied to your character. This bonus would be based on your 'old' class (list to be decided by Arena Net).

250 spirit shards

3 spent resurrection shards which can be sold to a vendor for gold (10 gold each)

5 tomes of knowledge

For either type: -

you need to learn your new class skills & feats from the start

all your possessions would be retained in a chest in your inventory to be used on your new class when you reach the appropriate level or to put in the bank for other characters to use.

possible trait bonuses (actual 'new' class trait to be linked to trait bonus to be decided by Arena Net)

Elementalist - 1 seconds of fire aura + 1 second of burning damage

Engineer - leave a bomb at your location on dodge and apply 2 seconds of vulnerability to 5 targets within area of bomb

Guardian - 3 seconds of 250 toughness

Mesmer - 1 second of confusion and 2 seconds of torment

Necromancer - 3 seconds of fear

Ranger - transfer 1 condition to up to 5 targets within x radius + 2 seconds of quickening zephyr

Revenant - 1 second of retaliation and 2 seconds of torment

Thief - 3 seconds of stealth

Warrior - 3 seconds of fury

I like this idea, might need some finer details worked out, but I can see this being an interesting expansion to max level players without power creeping or asking for over the top levels of new development criteria as most items can be bought, crafted, obtained similar to that of legendary weapons.

I like that there is a trade off between the types of past life options, which don't throw any major advantages to players in game between choices.

An interesting idea, which I hope ANET could comment on or maybe expanded upon.

Some of the trait bonuses again will need some finer tuning so as to not make it to difficult to balance across classes or OP from choice to choice.

Trait bonuses like revenant could be a choice that is selected at lvl 25 based on which legendary stance is chosen, and Elementalist might need some thought or choice based on which attunement players want to carry into the new class

They might need to limit the number of tomes of knowledge that one of those reincarnations can use, and stop them from being able to use any other level boosts (like level 80 boost), because you'd see a flood in the market of those resources from the gifts. There are folks who are both sitting on large numbers of tomes of knowledge that would probably get 10-20 of those gifts in the first day and folks who will happily buy quite a few level 80 boosts to pop right up and get em.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> Anet has said that would cause a lot of problems with the story because so much of the past story relies too much on race and may break too much on a technical standpoint. I wouldn't mind it personally, but Anet has spoken.

That's not really applicable here as it seems to instead be effectively a new character with no story progression.

To be frank, I don't really see what this accomplishes that a new character slot (and perhaps a few tomes) doesn't, except flavor and this "past life trait".

The "past life trait" is also in itself something I'm against. The entire point of the free respeccing is that there are no permanent, or even long term, wrong choices. This suggestion undermines that, even if the trait effects are small.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> Anet has said that would cause a lot of problems with the story because so much of the past story relies too much on race and may break too much on a technical standpoint. I wouldn't mind it personally, but Anet has spoken.

TBH I don't see that as an issue as your reincarnation does not change the fact your personal story is done, all your having to do now is work on unlocking your new class skills, which are not tied to personal story at all, you don't need to go back and rerun all of HoT or Pof etc.. your effectively rebooting your class not the story of how you got to where you are... but yeah there are defo some holes to fill, further expansions to the idea, balancing of things and adjustments that ANET would need to make, perhaps even some specific restrictions on how new life levelling can be achieved by use of items such as tomes.. all good points for discussion, which is why I said I hope ANET would choose to engage on this.

You can buy a new character slot and start over with a new class and race already? You can even share inventory between characters. So what's the point? ^^

Also, I don't want "resurrected" characters to have an advantage above characters who are just fine with the race and class they have. People who have chosen their class carefully and don't regret it shouldn't be forced to change classes just to have some extra traits and to stay competetive.

I'm not sure if I understand your explanations correctly. What is the idea behind this suggestion other than requiring more time and effort put into every single character to get them to their maximum level of advancement?

The beauty of GW2 for me is that it's fairly easy to create another character and develop them to their max abilities without having to go through a prolonged grind to get them there. From my point of view any delay will just add mandatory grind to character development. I'd much rather spend that time with whatever content I enjoy at the moment.

Being able to play the content of my choice with my fully developed characters rather than spending my time on the very narrow avenues of character development is one of the main reasons why I play this MMO over others on the market.

> @"Yaskin Forrit.2185" said:

> We can already respec our characters at will, but I would like to see reincarnation where I could affectively recreate my character from scratch with a new class.

This is the kind of thing ArenaNet would sell at the Gem Store, not make available in-game.

I'm also not fond of the mechanical benefits of "past lives". Feels like a "grind to win" feature (which isn't surprising, coming from DDO).

Remember the bloodbound weapons? They are utterly useless and ludicrously expensive in their current estate.

But the idea of gear that levels up with you would be an excellent reward for such a system. There could be some sort of 'seasonal' mode in which you can restart a character's story progress without losing map completion or other character progress, allowing you to start from a brand new biology and character creation. Once the character undergoes this "Rebirth", their gear is packet in box like when using a level 80 booster, and you'd then be given a series of tasks like completing story, dungeons and world bosses.

When the character gets back to level 80 or cancels the rebirth, they would regain all the gear.

But if they do get to level 80 without giving up and perform enough of the challenges and tasks give, they would earn a token you can use to buy an exotic Bloodbound weapon along some currencies and material costs.

So people don't just level up in 5 mins with tones, the character would not be able to use tomes and scrolls to gain exp. Only certain boosters would work, and they would gain reduced exp and bonus exp so it can't be done too fast.

Unlike other gear, Bloodbound gear would transfer between 'Rebirths'. There would be a full set of bloodbound gear and you'd be able to pick a piece each time. Bloodboung gear from rebirths would have stats corresponding to Fine gear up to level 14, to Masterwork gear up to level 39, rare gear up to 60, and exotic up to level 80.

There could also be a consumable you can buy or craftto switch stats of bloodbound gear.

There could even be a way to upgrade bloodbound gear to ascended or even giving it legendary status so it can switch stats without a cost, but they would only get ascended stats at level 80, remaining with exotic stats from level 60 to level 79.

So a Ranger shall get a cond clear while a revenant gets some shitty conds? No thanks. Pretty sure you play thief and ranger only. Since those suggestions seem to be the only real good ones. Also one thing can i tell you. I'm guaranteed now relevelling ANY char. Levelling is boring. All you want is even more boosts for rangers and thieves whilst even getting a total makeover kit for free.

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> Remember the bloodbound weapons? They are utterly useless and ludicrously expensive in their current estate.

>

> But the idea of gear that levels up with you would be an excellent reward for such a system. There could be some sort of 'seasonal' mode in which you can restart a character's story progress without losing map completion or other character progress, allowing you to start from a brand new biology and character creation. Once the character undergoes this "Rebirth", their gear is packet in box like when using a level 80 booster, and you'd then be given a series of tasks like completing story, dungeons and world bosses.

>

> When the character gets back to level 80 or cancels the rebirth, they would regain all the gear.

> But if they do get to level 80 without giving up and perform enough of the challenges and tasks give, they would earn a token you can use to buy an exotic Bloodbound weapon along some currencies and material costs.

> So people don't just level up in 5 mins with tones, the character would not be able to use tomes and scrolls to gain exp. Only certain boosters would work, and they would gain reduced exp and bonus exp so it can't be done too fast.

>

> Unlike other gear, Bloodbound gear would transfer between 'Rebirths'. There would be a full set of bloodbound gear and you'd be able to pick a piece each time. Bloodboung gear from rebirths would have stats corresponding to Fine gear up to level 14, to Masterwork gear up to level 39, rare gear up to 60, and exotic up to level 80.

> There could also be a consumable you can buy or craftto switch stats of bloodbound gear.

> There could even be a way to upgrade bloodbound gear to ascended or even giving it legendary status so it can switch stats without a cost, but they would only get ascended stats at level 80, remaining with exotic stats from level 60 to level 79.

That looks like a lot of effort to try and cram some pointless(but optional) grind into the game.

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> Isn't this essentially deleting a character, then making a new one with the same name? There are too many account bound things in GW2 to make this idea work in this game.

> If less stuff was account bound then it might have some purpose.

This would allow you to keep soul bound stuff as essentially, you are the same character.

> @"Yaskin Forrit.2185" said:

> > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > Isn't this essentially deleting a character, then making a new one with the same name? There are too many account bound things in GW2 to make this idea work in this game.

> > If less stuff was account bound then it might have some purpose.

>

> This would allow you to keep soul bound stuff as essentially, you are the same character.

>

Yeah, but the issue I see is that there are very few soul bound items. Almost everything is account bound. Which would cause a conflict of purpose

> @"Sabre.8251" said:

> So a Ranger shall get a cond clear while a revenant gets some kitten conds? No thanks. Pretty sure you play thief and ranger only. Since those suggestions seem to be the only real good ones. Also one thing can i tell you. I'm guaranteed now relevelling ANY char. Levelling is boring. All you want is even more boosts for rangers and thieves whilst even getting a total makeover kit for free.

At least try to give a productive counter instead of some anti-class hate spiel.. there was nothing to remotely suggest the OP just plays thief or ranger and wants to push those classes value up a notch, that is just a plain stupid comment.

The example of condi xfer trait for ranger makes sense actually as they have the ability to transfer conds and dmg to pets.. so some minor version of this would make sense as a past life bonus when ressing to a new class. But.. your missing the point, the ideas for past life trait bonuses are clearly examples not actuals.. they are something that ANET would decide upon, so that they do not provide specific stat advantages over non and reincarnated/resurrected toons at least not in the dramatic sense.. that's why it's clearly an suggestion for ANET to look at if they choose and then maybe iron out the core detail and working /balance of it all.

So please stop with the class hate, class love malarkey - it's about the idea of some kind of past life re-boot at max level.. not about boosting any specific class or getting a free makeover kits.

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > @"Yaskin Forrit.2185" said:

> > > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > > Isn't this essentially deleting a character, then making a new one with the same name? There are too many account bound things in GW2 to make this idea work in this game.

> > > If less stuff was account bound then it might have some purpose.

> >

> > This would allow you to keep soul bound stuff as essentially, you are the same character.

> >

>

> Yeah, but the issue I see is that there are very few soul bound items. Almost everything is account bound. Which would cause a conflict of purpose

TBH whether the item is soulbound or account bound to me makes no difference.. you bank the items you want to keep before performing your reincarnation/resurrection. The only restriction would be weapons type/armour type.. but those are generally account bound anyway so can be reused.. especially legendary or ascended gear.

> @"Sabre.8251" said:

> So a Ranger shall get a cond clear while a revenant gets some kitten conds? No thanks. Pretty sure you play thief and ranger only. Since those suggestions seem to be the only real good ones.

I clearly stated "possible trait bonuses (actual 'new' class trait to be linked to trait bonus to be decided by Arena Net)"

Yes, the suggested trait bonuses were based on traits I like but I'm hardly going to suggest you get traits I don't like!!!

As for only playing thief and ranger, I have 2 characters in every class. my favourites are revenant and warrior. If you have anything to say, please read the post thoroughly.