Tengu or Largos? Which new race do you want to see in a future release?

> @"Drizzt.1796" said:

> > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> (Engie turrets for example. Charr = more steam-punk, Norn =more totem like, Human = the ones we have now, Asuran = Aether-tech, Sylvary = salad version.) This way not only does it add some flair but some cosmetic vanity for the player so perhaps having multiple of different classes would actually be worth the time in investing in.

>

>

> If you want that, actually spend karma, and buy cultural weapons!

You mean the stuff that doesn't hold up to current day? Yea why? Gem-store will get better in the coming months. Though I probably wont know at that point~

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presumed that you meant which race to feature heavily in the story, and not as a playable race: I'm quite certain that we are stuck with the five we have now and I'm ok with that now. As interesting as the Largo have the potential to be and as useful for the (hopefully) eventual DSD content, I'm of the opinion that the Tengu should be used first. They are a race that has been around since the Prophecies campaign, featured heavily in Factions, and occupy a huge swath are Tyria that we've been cut off from, areas that were accessible back in Gw1. They have great story potential and space that's literally been set aside since launch for their use.

/#NoWaterdrowAthathins2020

Tengu would be the superior choice, technically and narratively. The models are more complete, and we've seen ANet tease new looks during HoT. They're much more proximal to the story with being adjacent to Sylvari lands and Lion's Arch, and they're at least willing to venture out for trade.

Not gonna happen, of course, unless we start seeing ANet hiring 10-12 new voice actors.

> @"Drizzt.1796" said:

> > @"videoboy.4162" said:

> > I voted for Tengu because I can't stand having that blurred area of the map near Lion's Arch. lol

>

> Lol. Okay... going largos would give more areas in the unending ocean, + we will be able to fight DSD in the depths!

Yeah, but the part I'm referring to is in the middle of visible areas and it drives me crazy. =P

> @"Drizzt.1796" said:

> > @"videoboy.4162" said:

> > I voted for Tengu because I can't stand having that blurred area of the map near Lion's Arch. lol

>

> Lol. Okay... going largos would give more areas in the unending ocean, + we will be able to fight DSD in the depths!

Yeah, but the part I'm referring to is in the middle of visible areas and it drives me crazy. =P

> @"Super Hayes.6890" said:

> Even if we can't get a new race it would be nice to gain access to thier city.

Yes it would, but how would we buy and sell? They would have to add another mastery to trade with the tengu, and I for one dislike masteries completely!

so **FOO!**

Entertaining the unlikely idea of a new race, I say Tengu. But we probably won't see one due to the immense work involved to retrofit the new race as the main character into the eight years worth of already existing content.

Also, how about the Kodan?

tengu seems to me just boring and asks for conflicts, the largo looks interesting but they are generally only for underwater and doesn't really fit GW.

i would love to see a new race that predates any other race, filling the gap that has bin missing from GW2.

normal = human

small = asura

giant = norn

bulk = charr

natural = sylvary

native = ?

> @"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

> > @"Eddbopkins.2630" said:

> > If I could change my answer I go with dwarfs. Has all the dwarfs reallY just vanished and turned to stone? An entire race gone? I hope not.

>

> They have all turned to stone, but they are not all gone (yet).

What u talked aboot?

I think I'd give the edge to Tengu, but honestly, the Tengu, Largos, and Kodan are all on my list of races I'd like to see.

Strange as it might sound, if Anet were to actually try to do a new race, I've come to the conclusion that Tengu might actually be the most doable of those particular races. Kodan have the problem that they've been pegged as not being 'bear people', but specifically 'polar bear people', which means that they're inherently very limited in character customization options, so as much as I like them, they are perhaps not an ideal choice for a player race.

Looking at Tengu and Largos, viability I'd say comes down to two factors: fitting armor to the character models, and voice acting. Tengu would use the same skeleton as the Charr, and would hopefully require relatively minimal tweaking to get Charr armor models to work on them. Largos would use the Human/Sylvari skeletons, but they would probably need more extensive work on their head armor; the whole thing with the Largos always wearing their masks means that any head equipment that doesn't completely cover their face would need to accommodate the mask.

I mentioned it the last time we had a 'new race' thread, but I'd realized that the most efficient way to handle voice acting for a new race might be to take the voice recordings for one of the existing player characters, and apply some effects to it to get it sounding just different enough from the original race (alter the pitch a little, something like that); they'd still need to do some new voice recording for parts of the game, but that would cover the vast majority of the necessary voice acting. Doing something like that should work just fine for the Tengu. Unfortunately, the Largos have a problem that I'd forgotten about until running the personal story with an alt and hitting a mission where you work with a Largos: they speak with an Arabic-sounding accent. Artificially altering the pitch on a voice recording is one thing, artificially altering the accent is another.

So yeah, Tengu seems like the most doable as a potential new race, and one I'd be happy to get.