[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll preface by saying that I actually really liked this Episode. It's probably my favorite episode of the season. It really felt like a proper ending to not just Season 4, but the official end to Path of Fire with its 3 main antagonists; Balthazar, Joko, and Kralkatorrik finally out of the way. The story, I think was really nice [despite some people's feelings I don't think the "beginning bit" was unwarranted], and the new map, meta, and cinematics were all done beautifully, and I think really shows how far the devs have come since the Personal Story. But...

What's up with the timegating?

With how much hype everything I just mentioned had filled me with, finding out the next 4 collections are separately time-gated was like all that hype just slammed full-stop into a brick wall. I was honestly willing to stay up all night just to get my hands on the skyscale, only to get them slapped away and told to wait for the next daily-reset. While I understand you wanted to implement something to discourage people from blazing through the content you just spent months creating but... being honest? I think the collections do that just fine? I know plenty of people who still haven't gotten the beetle or griffon on account of the many collections for them. I've personally never minded them, and I didn't mind these either. I might understand the timegate if the collections were super easy to do, but just the first collection alone, took me 6 hours of constant play to complete. Now, with almost 1.5k hours on this game, extended periods of play are not abnormal for me. Hell, on the topic of daily resets, I already log in to do dailies pretty much every day, so it's not like this is coercing me into playing more. The reason I disliked that 6 hours so much, is because this is the first time I genuinely felt didn't want to play for that time. 6 hours of running around the same map, going to the same places, picking up the same items, and all the while knowing that if I didn't, I'd just be delaying myself further by passing up _another_ daily reset and still having to do it at a later time. And I really don't like that feeling.

One of the main reasons I love Guild Wars so much, is because I never feel like I _have_ to keep playing. I can sit down, pick a task to do, and do it on my own time. I hated it when other MMOs would hang some kind of superficial play-timer above my head [yes, especially WoW], where if I weren't playing, _I was wasting time._ And when I feel like I'm playing on a deadline, _I stop having fun_. I'm luckily not one of them, but also I've seen dozens of people in map chat talking about how they don't have the time to do this, thanks to work or school hours making free-time a very rare commodity for them, which makes the other points even worse. I sincerely doubt the devs had any intention of doing so, but by timegating each of the collections through daily resets, they've done exactly that. Instead of going to sleep, waking up, and continuing on my own time, I'll have to wait until 8pm EST to even start doing the next collection, and all the while, I'll have that superficial timer hanging above me, reminding me that unless I hurry up and do this, I'll have to wait even longer for the next one. Which, due to the nature of how the timegate works, means I'll also be setting back the next 3 collections at the same time. The net result: anger and disappointment.

Now, I'm not going to say that this has ruined the Episode for me, or made me lose faith in the game enough to make me quit. Because that's just not true. I'm not going anywhere, and I still stand by the statement that this is my favorite Episode of Season 4. I hardly ever come to the forums to complain, because I genuinely don't have that many problems with the game. This time though, I really needed to vent this. Above all else just, please, get rid of the time gate. Let people clear this on their own time.

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> At least I got to get a taste of if from the loaner version. Not at all impressed enough to even go after it. Oh, FYI, don't gather while on the loaner, you loose it on dismount and have to go back an get another. Game over, man...

You do realise that the loan version of the mount is without any of the masteries, right? So look at it, as a very limited version of the mount.

As for the rest I dont personally mind time gated achievements and collections. If those collections werent time gated people would already have the mount and begin posting topics, about how they have run out of things to do. Anet cant please everyone either way. If you don't like the way it is done, then don't do it. You are free to not like how it was implemented, but for god sake, dont post topics to complain, about something you get completely free. Its redicilous.

and if you dont want the mount you are screwed. srsly i dont like the Mount. You can test it on the map and fly around. Its like a brick in the air.

I did everything on the map without the new mount. So whats even the point of Skyscale?

Timegating killed WoW for me. So please dont add more timegating into GW2.

Guys you all know how it works around here.

They made a really fucked up decision for the majority of players. (maybe while beeing drunk at office, I don't know, but it is not the first dump game decision they made)

It's just another huge disappointment where they will or will not comment on but will not change anything about it.

But hey, here are my two cents in a thread that Anet does not care about. So they killed the new map for me and I am again disappointed by them... Whish they would have the balls to say: _"yeah not a smart move, we wanted it to feel like a journey but telling everyone to crall to the end of it, might not be that nice, so here you go, we lifted the time gating and you can play the game the way you want it to be, because its your journey and your freetime in reallife where you can decided what content of our game you want to consume." _

It is never gonna happen, and you know it.

> @"ChronoPinoyX.7923" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

>

> Bruh 250g is like... 2 days tops on an Auric Basin Farm train

Maybe true, but as someone who loathes the very idea of farming gold by doing the same kitten over and over and over and over and over, I'd rather watch paint dry. However, I'm surely the minority with this as it's outside of group content and PVP modes the bread and butter of MMOs.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

Seriously? I'd have rather had it cost 250, because then I'd simply have spent time gold farming before starting the content so I could get the mount in time to use the mount for it. The biggest issue is not being able to start training the masteries. Knowing it's gated like that means I may just do the collections and do as little else as possible so there's enough experience to get the masteries when they are unlocked.

> @"tekhiun.8653" said:

> First of all, I really think all other aspects of ep6 were excellent. However I see no reason at all for time gating the Skyscale collection, and making it so grindy . Today I ran around the map and collected 56 items, in most cases I had to go to the same location 2 or 3 times to interact or collect different items. Only to find out that I will only be able to get the mount on Sunday at best,since I actually finished the first part 10 minutes after daily reset (so today no progression at all for me).

Then again... good things come to those who wait.

We don't need to have everything delivered to us AT ONCE... this unnatural request for immediacy and lack of patience in people these days... some will jump in and call it entitlement but this is not that... think it's just how things have become; but imo really could be better if things were paced a bit... otherwise you'd race around 24/7 and be bored of the Skyscale come Sunday...

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> How many times do we have to tell people not to blast through content in 10 minutes? to take their time and enjoy it? They never learn...

Anyone who extrapolates that people "want their stuff in 10 minutes" is just asking to never be taken seriously ever again.

With how much time it takes to get the first set done and having to wait for the first time gate, it might as well not be there. Most people can only play a couple hours at a time or even binge once a week. In reality, they sound like they want others to be miserable, by telling them they have to wait a couple months before they can begin.

On the other side. If someone can get it done fast, they certainly earned it. So let them. Stop telling people who can't no-life content they are impatient.

> @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> Not being able to get spirit shards is a fair complaint imo.

>

> Timegated mount... I don't really care. There are Skyscale roosts *all over* the new map.

Yes, in the new map where you might as well not do anything after completing the first collection.

Skyscale collections suck. It's no wonder they didn't give any details on it, since they knew people will hate it. I have no idea why it has to be a) a huge grind and b) time-gated. Heck, even the griffon collection was easier. The new mount stuff is getting more and more ridiculous with each new one.

The time-gating really sucks. I tolerate it for making legendaries but for a mount...

The Skyscale mechanics are also driving me nuts. I still am trying to figure out what good it does you to be able to cling to the side of a vertical surface when:

1. You Skyscale can’t crawl up or down while you’re on the vertical surface,

2. Your Skyscale doesn’t recover any flight endurance; only on flatter horizontal surfaces,

I’m guessing the reason you don’t regain endurance is because you’re having to actively hold onto the surface to stay there. Part of me hopes that this is just a quirk of the rental Skyscale and the real Mount will handle things better (maybe through the masteries) but the realist is telling me this is all it is.

The time-gate just adds salt to the wound and I’m seriously wondering if it’s really going to be worth the grind.

Disappointing.

EDIT: So looking at the masteries in the wiki it does recharge the flight endurance at the third tier. I didn’t have a chance to look it up until now. Still not sure if it will be worth it but I guess the only way to know is to get it done.

> @"Daishi.6027" said:

>I took the day off tomorrow expecting to play with the new toy and my initial investment and hype for the release, but now I learn that not only is my investment for this release being met with a spit in the face, but now I am locked behind anyone who happened to finish it before reset.

Having to contend with delayed gratification. = Getting spit in the face.

Some world we live in.

> @"ewenness.6482" said:

> > @"Daishi.6027" said:

> >I took the day off tomorrow expecting to play with the new toy and my initial investment and hype for the release, but now I learn that not only is my investment for this release being met with a spit in the face, but now I am locked behind anyone who happened to finish it before reset.

>

> Having to contend with delayed gratification. = Getting spit in the face.

>

> Some world we live in.

Yes, completely ignore the reason for his comment and only reply with your one-liner after misconstruing his reason for being upset.

**Some world we live in.**

> @"Zahme.7802" said:

> Ok, so I will have the mount in 3 weeks, since I only can play for long time on weekends. Also no spirit shards for 3 weeks :-(

I'm in the same boat, along with taking time off of work for this. I'm especially pissy.

> @"Dondarrion.2748" said:

> Then again... good things come to those who wait.

> We don't need to have everything delivered to us AT ONCE... this unnatural request for immediacy and lack of patience in people these days... some will jump in and call it entitlement but this is not that... think it's just how things have become; but imo really could be better if things were paced a bit... otherwise you'd race around 24/7 and be bored of the Skyscale come Sunday...

It is not about AT ONCE.... and it's neither an "unnatural" request people here are asking. It is about telling the truth about something (dedicating a livestream and telling the mount is out 14.05.2019), which your parents will have taught you i guess, is a nice thing to do and should allways be the prefered way to handle things even if you mess up and have to confess something. Also IT's ABOUT THE USE OF MY FREETIME AND THE FREETIME USE OF EVERY OTHER PLAYER ON ONES OWN TERMS. What if, you could only play 2 hours a week? 1 Hour every 2 days? What if you have shift work scedule and daily reset is killed with your reallife plans on regular basis?

There is nothing wrong with a nice and maybe enduring collection (like 1st generation legendary come to mind...) but it just fucks up everyone with less time than 3-5 playtime hours a day or if you want to play maybe some wvwvw, pvp, raids, fractals or something else during YOUR playtime.

There are tons of other ways they could have handle it. And everyone knows it.

and I dont know why would you be bored about any mount? There is a reason for every mount, depending where you are and what you want to do. I love them all, sure i have my favorite, but I have not been bored about any mount....

(PS: CAPS is not screaming here, its stressing out whats most important to me ;) love you all)

i dont know I always thought of GW2 as a game where you grind for the thing that you want. and that takes time. legendaries take time, gold farm takes time, most thing take time, I unlocked the other mounts in weeks by slowly doing the collections, it doesn't relaly affect me. I don'treally understand people who'd want to do it all in 1 long ass run. but sucks for them I guess.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> While I'm no fan of time gating as it feels arbitrary, i don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

> They're just preventing people from being done on day 1.

> I mean, even the story could be finished by in an hour.

>

>

The majority of this could be fixed by just hiding the mastery. Though to be frank, I don't care about the exp or spirit shards.

**I just really hate time-gating content.**

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> While I'm no fan of time gating as it feels arbitrary, i don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

> They're just preventing people from being done on day 1.

> I mean, even the story could be finished by in an hour.

>

>

But why prevent people getting it day 1? Personally I am not up in arms about being unable to get it day 1(wasn't expecting too), what I have a problem with is the lack in freedom. It took me a few days to get Griffon when it first came out, yet I played at the pace that was comfortable to me. While still being able to manage my RL. This and again if going by Newborn, isn't a good look, if it's less time consuming as the days progress, I won't be as upset as I was yesterday.

Yet people like the OP, I understand being upset, timegating this and not even mentioning it...because I did too take time off yesterday, to atleast get what I could done, only to be surprised by a daily reset. Which is like getting kicked in the balls(at least I was very salty I'm not going to front/lie).