how much you guys earned from TP?

I've made around 3,000 in the last month starting with 50g; granted this was the month I figured out what I could use to make a profit.

People won't likely share how they do it because then it negatively affects their method, and they have to find a new one.

playing stock market bores me. but it must work for some ppl cuz the richest person has 1mil+ gold... and I doubt anyone earned that by actually playing the game or converting gems to gold.

see for example ecto it was at 12s at one point, if u bought 10k, and sell it now while it's rising to 20s... u would have made a lot of profit. and that's just 1 material... there are many others like the 6th tier trophies, mithril, elder wood..

As soon as you have all skins it becomes useless, except for very expensive recepies in the mystic forge, but even then you do not need an unlimited supply of it. But its probably nice having too much of something. According to the api i once managed to be among the top 10%, but i wasted all of it for useless stuff.

I don't normally do flipping or playing the TP, I just buy what I want when I want it and sell stuff I don't want when I want to get rid of it. But I've occasionally been in a situation where I've been able to make quite a bit of gold from it. For example over the last 2 weeks I've made almost 200g by crafting and selling Grow Lamps, because I happened to have an excess of charged quartz (and the other materials) and after the Skyscale collection was introduced they jumped up from 11g each to over 30g each. Unfortunately (for me) I missed the first few days when they got as high as 70g.

If you're able to take advantage of things like that you can make a lot of gold, but it's not easy to do on a regular basis. Grow Lamps are an extreme example of that because there was no way to predict in advance that they'd suddenly gain a new use in this update and no practical way to quickly obtain charged quartz after the update because it's time-gated, so you had to either have it already or buy festival bags and hope for lucky drops. (I think that's where all mine came from incidentally - trick or treat bags and Wintersday gifts especially.) Some things are easier to predict - for example we knew a new legendary weapon was coming with this release and that it would use at least some of the same materials as previous legendaries so stockpiling those to sell after the update was a safe bet. But the more obvious an investment is the more people will do it and then there's more people flooding the market when it comes time to sell, more competition and lower prices.

Buying items to sell later can be risky too. I bet some people had extremely rare PoF minis in storage waiting for the right time to sell them for thousands of gold and were very upset at the latest update which increased their droprates - meaning more will enter the market and at least some potential buyers will avoid buying them while they try their luck at getting one as a drop.

I found the lazy way to take advantage of it is to not focus on actively flipping, but sitting on stuff you gather when you speculate they might go up in price, sell them off then, and back fill in your spare time.

I use this methodology for my Legendary weapon habit...... process materials in the off seasons when things are cheap, make a surplus, then sell that surplus during the height of demand. Mithril and Elder wood always spike when a new legendary comes out; which are used in mystic curios for Gen 2.5. weapons. Bones are cheap during Halloween, which is the best time to make curios.... and Wintersday floods the market with basic mats you can use to craft armor sets.

> I keep hearing stories some dudes' friends of firends earned ridiculous amount of gold by manipulating TP. Is this true story?

Manipulating? No. Such stories are inaccurate, misleading, or exaggerated.

Figuring out how markets work and profiting off of that? Sure, same as Warren Buffet does. It's not complicated _in theory_; it's just that most people aren't willing to engage in the prep work required to earn that amount.

> I mean I tried flipping. Did get some gold! But not even close to going from 0 to 10,000.

Going from 0 to anything is impossible: it takes money to make money. Going from 100 to 1000 is pretty easy (again, in theory). Going from 1000 to 10000 is significantly more challenging.

If it was truly easy, everyone would do it. And the profits would disappear.

I'll make the same offer I've made over the years: if someone wants to contact me privately, I'm happy to get them started learning how to make the TP do their bidding. (Historically, I get very few people accepting and almost none end up becoming "barons," because they decide they'd rather spend their time playing. It's easy to describe; it's not actually "easy" in the end.)

Here are some of the way people earn 1000s:

* **Flipping:** buying low and selling high within a short period of time

* **Speculating:** buying low now, with the expectation that you can sell high... later.

* **Anticipating:** buying low now, with the expectation that you can sell high... later, except based on what the market has done in the past.

* **Adding value:** buying components for low and crafting|forging to create items that are worth more than their constituent parts.

* **Adding value, 2:** you can also buy containers or other items that break into pieces worth more than the whole.

* **Industrial production:** buying massive amounts of components, crafting|forging til your mouse bleeds. (There are RNG opportunities here.)

Each of those requires different levels of understanding of different parts of the market, so no one needs to know them all to get started. There are also all sorts of tools out there that make earning via the TP far, far easier these days than it was in 2012-3. (Those same tools also have dried up a number of markets, bringing up the bottom of the market more than the top, although that's a different conversation.)

Lastly, here are three things that most people can do that will increase the size of their coin wallet:

* Use the TP. A surprising number of players (veterans, too), sell to vendors, which loses them tons of potential value.

* Make custom offers on the TP. Do not instantly buy or instantly sell; the difference is often 20-40% or more. (There are reasons to make exceptions, of course. That doesn't change the essential rule of thumb.)

* Take a minute to do some research before "large" sales or purchases. ("Large" being entirely up to you.) The wiki links to some amazing resources, on any page about a tradeable item or recipe with tradeable components.

Some history of my own for you:

Once I put out quite a few orders for some lvl 80 exotic armor pieces that would give me a ROI (return of interest) of 19%, which is pretty darn good.

I received all the orders quite fast, and immediately put them all for sale on the same price. The thing is, there were other people flipping the same item, so the sell price got lower and lower to the point that I only sold 2 of them. Eventually I had to cancel the orders and do another listing on the TP to be able to sell it. This gave me the perception that: you have to know your market prior doing flipping for good ROIs.

Armor pieces such as Exotic Berserker do have a high value as most people get to 80 and need to get those first. But there are many ways of getting it, and the TP is no the cheapest one by far. Therefore, the conclusion was that the liquidity of it wasn't good enough to hold up my listing of many items as several people was also putting orders lower than mine. So the basic economics came to play in this one, offer was higher than demand. The prices dropped by quite a bit.

At the end, even with listing twice the items, I was able to get some profit, but much lower than I anticipated.

Lesson Learned: don't put all the eggs on the same basket. Make sure your TP investments are spread throughout different market niches, as little as they could possibly be. This way you mitigate risks of loss or waiting too long.

I've made so much just flipping planks and hafts.

I played the long game when permafrost dye dipped below 300G, which finally paid off.

Combined, my two accounts would be around 10k if I called out completely. I don't bother anymore for the most part. Gold is overrated when you have nothing you want to buy.