Should Guild Wars 1 go free to play?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should relinquish control of it and give that control to the fans so we can expand on it in private servers. I don't think they can't do that because of some weirdness around copyright law. But basically they should allow you to play on a private server as long as you've bought the game. But I don't think that's possible..

> @"Lily.1935" said:

> I think they should relinquish control of it and give that control to the fans so we can expand on it in private servers. I don't think they can't do that because of some weirdness around copyright law. But basically they should allow you to play on a private server as long as you've bought the game. But I don't think that's possible..

I've actually been suggesting/requesting that for years now. Around 8 years to be precise.

I don't think NC Soft wants to let go of it.

It's their "baby" after all.

It's not like huge companies, such as Rockstar, that has a vast number of games, and allows players to make mods to our heart's content.

It must be kind of hard to let go of your one and only hit, and see it being spread apart by big hungry modders.

It would be ever so awesome to have a patch so we can have our own private servers. I would absolutely love that.

> @"Kurrilino.2706" said:

> > @"sitarskee.5738" said:

> > I would rather not have them free. Let's not encourage even more chinese bots.

>

> How would GW1 benefit chinese bots??? And why would anyone affected?

> There is no trade post you know.

If it was free to play, people could bot much, much easier and the game would need frequent bot bans (not going to happen with GW1 at this point). Playing GW1 with mass-botting is a pain, as anyone who played JQ and FA prior to the bot ban a year or two ago, or seen mass bot farming in GW1 would know. Most of these bots were Chinese based and negatively impacted both the gameplay and economy of GW1.