Shall we introduce Open World PvP to PvE maps?

No. This game isn't meant to be a total open world PvP game. Would be annoying while doing PvE stuff. While I like the PvP 5 vs 5 and the WvW zerging ... it is hard to get back into the game. (Returning from a break since end 2013 and still haven't any expansions bought which seem mandatory especially for small WvW.) Having to adjust/learn for PvP while only wanting to do PvE stuff first ... would even scare away more players.

Dueling or some arenas set into the open world (small zones without PvE contend) could be fun though. Something where your personal gear matters - like WvW, but no huge zerging.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I remember AION alowing such thing in certain maps where people needed to do events or gathering to progress their PvE character. There were a lot of gankers there as killing an opponent awarded points to progress pvp points while on defeat one would lose pvp points. It was a true PITA as those pvp gankers were generally with better pvp armor and pvp weapons, thus feeding on lower pvp level PvErs that were doing their pve stuff. So big NO from my point of view.

That said, I would allow dueling upon invitation but only outside meta events. Also, having a setting in options if a player allows to be invited for duels or not is a must in this case. PvP dueling could also have own ladder, but for me it is not a must.

Open world PvP on *existing* maps as is will be pointless and a waste of breath. No one will ever agree to it and neither will Anet.

I only see two viable options:

1) Staggered 2 sided meta events enabling PvP for a short period. As a random example, Cursed Shore out of all the maps have the PvP event going and it lasts for 30m. When joining the map you end up either on the pact side or as zhaitans minions and have to fight for caps. Then it's a 4h cd or something until the next random map has an event, with similar sides.

2) Large endgame maps designed for PvEvP where alliances can hold cities and objectives and fight for territory similar to WvW, except its more about the resources around them than points for a world. Everyone outside your alliance is enemies.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> Open world PvP on *existing* maps as is will be pointless and a waste of breath. No one will ever agree to it and neither will Anet.

>

> I only see two viable options:

>

> 1) Staggered 2 sided meta events enabling PvP for a short period. As a random example, Cursed Shore out of all the maps have the PvP event going and it lasts for 30m. When joining the map you end up either on the pact side or as zhaitans minions and have to fight for caps. Then it's a 4h cd or something until the next random map has an event, with similar sides.

This, actually sounds really fun!

I want this!

Absolutely.

PvE players are fighting tooth and claw to keep the mount OP in WvW because they want to remove PvP from a PvP gamemode, and Anet is catering to them.

So let's add PvP to PvE so that nobody's happy and everybody's gamemode is ruined.

It's only fair.

Honestly, it would be cool to have a new map with meta events for WvW that would like cause attacks on some towers or something. some questing involved where players fighting over areas made a difference. Right now I feel like winning in WvW doesnt mean anything. Its just follow a zerg around and get loot bags.

WvW is pretty boring now actually.

HECK no. Dude, NOT ONLY is this game's PvP so unbalanced but that would make the community SOOOO much more toxic.

Not to mention that this game is primarily made up of nice, casual PvE players who just wanna chill. A small chunk of the community plays PvP and an even smaller chunk plays it "well" enough to not immediately get shredded by horrible power creep that's been taking over.

Keep PvE and PvP separate. Don't force PvP onto people who don't want to deal with it.

No for primarily two reasons:

First and most importantly, this game is built around cooperation and it's what pretty much sets it apart from many other MMOs. In the open-world, you pretty much share everything with other players regardless of being grouped or not - nodes, loot, xp, etc., everyone gets their share and there is essentially no kill-stealing and similar (it can happen in rare instances). This has been a big positive for the game and attracting and maintaining players.

That being said, ow-pvp tends to attract the worst scum of online-gaming. Having played one such game for a while (BDO), all I can say is that once you've seen that level of toxicity, any negative comments received during GW2's sPvP will feel like light banter at best.

There are plenty of dedicated pvp-options in this game, let's leave it at that (... and that's coming from someone actively playing sPvP in this game).

> @"Chichimec.9364" said:

> If PvP players are not happy with their current options suggest ways to improve what already exists or offer ideas for new options. Don't try to change the whole game into PvP though.

I already answered to the topic and I fully agree with you. I just think it's worth mentioning that - in my experience from various other games with both PvP and OWPvP - most of those who request open world pvp don't play the actual PvP mode but want to gank people without them being able to react in any form or shape (not implying OP wants to do this or it is guaranteed GW2 would be the same tho, but I think it's extremely likely the latter would also be the case here).

As another sidenote, which isn't actually too relevant after my statement above, I want to point out that there is already a ton of suggestions on how sPvP-players think Anet could improve sPvP, namely via improving the balance (would need some massive reworks tho), introducing new maps (well designed, not this tiny Djinn thing), new game modes, a seperate team and solo-only Q with separate ratings and an all time favorite: on-demand ATs. Only to name a few - in my opinion - reasonable ones.

Considering most of those suggestions have been around for years now and Anet is also working on the whole swiss tournaments since an eternity without any update or basically any form of transparency, I honestly wouldn't be too afraid of something like introducing open world pvp. It will simply never happen. Anet can't even be bothered to implement a workaround for a race changer (conflicting with personal story and stuff), with which they'd probably make quite a bit of money considering a lot of players are requesting this since release.

I think we should introduce more pve elements to pvp instead. Maybe some sort of daily lord/beast kill for gemstone chests, daily jp so mesmer portals are useful again, and a meta event where you use treb to take down an enemy raid boss npc for your pvp unicorn mount collection. There should also be some sort of top stats and title for afking the longest with the most aura effects.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> I used to play on a pvp server. I have nothing against open world pvp. Yet even I realize that this would be a terrible idea. There is a reason why pvp is so tiny in the MMO market, the vast majority of players are pve.

Yet all top MMOs are PvP orientated.

> @"Dreddo.9865" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > I used to play on a pvp server. I have nothing against open world pvp. Yet even I realize that this would be a terrible idea. There is a reason why pvp is so tiny in the MMO market, the vast majority of players are pve.

> Yet all top MMOs are PvP orientated.

>

>

Yeah, no.

Even among the most popular pvp MMOs both old school as well as new, the PvE community in those games vastly outnumbers the pvp players (I think it was something like 80-90% in Eve Online who stick to high sec).

True only pvp MMOs are non existant or have died out over the years. I'm guessing you were being sarcastic, in which case: good one.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> True only pvp MMOs are non existant or have died out over the years. I'm guessing you were being sarcastic, in which case: good one.

Why don't you check Steam charts? It will solve all your questions. Look at the numbers and think which of top MMO games are PvE.

I would love it.

GW2 is full of these amazing beautifully designed maps with tons of mechanically interesting features, jumping puzzles, obstacles, etc.

And I never ever play on them...

Why? I just get zero enjoyment out of fighting pve mobs. They're never difficult, and when they are difficult it's not in an interesting way. A fight vs a real human is a thrill, and when the threat of it is missing, I just get bored. So I continue to play the same WvW maps that have existed for years and years and years..

sigh.