why toughness not effective in this game?_?

Hornet.9305

i have 2.7k toughness but enemy players strike on me min 6k damage !!!!!tank class not active pvp !!!Only pve effective?_?ppl say me this game no have tank class!!!power precision and ferocity this game have it!!!!!toughness just a name there?_?if you are dont know how to tank class in pvp pls cheack other mmorpg game or chance the gw2 team !!!!!!no longer get toughness as it should be!!!it is enough we bored this !!!!!!

> @"Xarimath.4518" said:

> Play a Scrapper. Problem solved.

Pretty sure that if OP just added more exclamation marks to his post that would actually fix the problem instead.

Anyway, what was that which hit you _(talking to OP)_ for 6k? DE? Power Mes? Slb?

Toughness is effective. This does not mean that everything a target throws at you can be facetanked just by running paladin amulet. Dodges, evades, blocks (100% damage mitigation!) are key mechanics in this game.

This is not a MOBA! The pacing is fast and fights are meant to end in 10 to 30 seconds. If you suck at the game or are outnumbered and run a squishy build you die fast. That's intended.

Every single PvP oriented build can survive 10 or more seconds to pressure and toughness is just one of multiple defenses that sum up to a build's general sustain.

2,7k armor is a permanent 25 to 35% damage reduction (exact number depending on your armor class). That's like perma protection on your character.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> Toughness is effective. This does not mean that everything a target throws at you can be facetanked just by running paladin amulet. Dodges, evades, blocks (100% damage mitigation!) are key mechanics in this game.

>

> This is not a MOBA! The pacing is fast and fights are meant to end in 10 to 30 seconds. If you suck at the game or are outnumbered and run a squishy build you die fast. That's intended.

>

> Every single PvP oriented build can survive 10 or more seconds to pressure and toughness is just one of multiple defenses that sum up to a build's general sustain.

>

> 2,7k armor is a permanent 25 to 35% damage reduction (exact number depending on your armor class). That's like perma protection on your character.

Maybe you're playing a different game. The only one who used a Paladin amulet, it was a boon beast and thanks to traits, which are then fixed. If toughness was effective there would be no such thing as power creep.

P. S. TS better not use toughness it doesn't work. Toughness is only needed for some meta builds, as is healing power.

Tank requires more than just toughness..

If you want to run a tank in any gamemode you need 3 things.

High defense/armour (toughness)

High Hp or damage mitigation (vitality, protect, evades, blocks etc)

And some form of viable sustain.. this will vary depending on class (regen, lifesteal, aoe healing etc)

Just having high vitality or toughness isn't going to make that much of a difference in a very similar way to just having power isn't going to make that big of a difference to your dps.

Typically 3 stat's are combined to get the desired effect be that damage or tank but you can compromise a stat or sometimes 2 and utalize a class's uniqe traits/abilities to get a similar effect.

For example Necros can achieve very high crit chance via traits and conditions negating the need for them to run a lot of precision or any at all..

I have a Necro tank that has no precision stat invesment on it's gear, yet it can achieve over 60% crit chance through the combination of a weapon sigil and a trait.

Different classes have different means of achieving similar things, you just have to find the combination of stats and traits that make it work.

Toughness doesn't scale well. I had to have around 3,500 armor rating to actually begin to feel like I was more resilient to attacks.

However, like others have mentioned, toughness alone isn't enough. You'll need sustain and some other form of active dammage mitigation (blocks, blinds, dodges, invulnerability) depending on your class.

I'd like it if the scaling was better, but this won't be done.

Toughness feel ineffective for a simple reason: Protection exist. Protection is pretty easy to get in a lot of glass canon build which make them very effective. Whereas you sacrifice damage for toughness and thus your build end up being ineffective despite having a decent amount of stats invested into defense. Which mean that you can't catch up with "glass" canon despite investing heavily in defense.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> Toughness is effective. This does not mean that everything a target throws at you can be facetanked just by running paladin amulet. Dodges, evades, blocks (100% damage mitigation!) are key mechanics in this game.

>

> This is not a MOBA! The pacing is fast and fights are meant to end in 10 to 30 seconds. If you suck at the game or are outnumbered and run a squishy build you die fast. That's intended.

>

> Every single PvP oriented build can survive 10 or more seconds to pressure and toughness is just one of multiple defenses that sum up to a build's general sustain.

>

> 2,7k armor is a permanent 25 to 35% damage reduction (exact number depending on your armor class). That's like perma protection on your character.

No its not. I've tested it extensively. Its useless. It use to be good before the power creep though.

Toughness works as intended.

It just doesnt matter with all the powercreep.

Instead of dying in 3 hits you die in 4.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS: Its actually funny tho. Like, it would be literally unacceptable in any other MMO to get hit for 50% of your max halth with a single hit.

Bur frankly, in gw2, 5 digit crits are perfectly fine apparently.

> @"Hornet.9305" said:

> i have 2.7k toughness but enemy players strike on me min 6k damage !!!!!tank class not active pvp !!!Only pve effective?_?ppl say me this game no have tank class!!!power precision and ferocity this game have it!!!!!toughness just a name there?_?if you are dont know how to tank class in pvp pls cheack other mmorpg game or chance the gw2 team !!!!!!no longer get toughness as it should be!!!it is enough we bored this !!!!!!

DPS creep has made toughness fairly useless on builds that used to rely on it. You're forced to go all-in on damage to survive instead, to try to burst your opponent down first. It's also a massive bonus for those that already have significant DPS without maximizing it. The solution is lower DPS across the board, to make toughness matter again.

> @"Hornet.9305" said:

> i have 2.7k toughness but enemy players strike on me min 6k damage !!!!!tank class not active pvp !!!Only pve effective?_?ppl say me this game no have tank class!!!power precision and ferocity this game have it!!!!!toughness just a name there?_?if you are dont know how to tank class in pvp pls cheack other mmorpg game or chance the gw2 team !!!!!!no longer get toughness as it should be!!!it is enough we bored this !!!!!!

every 400 toughness increases your damage reduction against power attacks by ~10%. At 2700 toughness you should receive about 20% less damage compared to light armored classes and about 12% less damage than heavy armor classes. That is why most warriors and reapers run demolisher amulet. There are diminishing returns over 3k toughness.

I think where toughness stand is okay. As for damage being too high that is a different issue.

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> > @"Hornet.9305" said:

> > i have 2.7k toughness but enemy players strike on me min 6k damage !!!!!tank class not active pvp !!!Only pve effective?_?ppl say me this game no have tank class!!!power precision and ferocity this game have it!!!!!toughness just a name there?_?if you are dont know how to tank class in pvp pls cheack other mmorpg game or chance the gw2 team !!!!!!no longer get toughness as it should be!!!it is enough we bored this !!!!!!

>

> DPS creep has made toughness fairly useless on builds that used to rely on it. You're forced to go all-in on damage to survive instead, to try to burst your opponent down first. It's also a massive bonus for those that already have significant DPS without maximizing it. **The solution is lower DPS across the board, to make toughness matter again.**

> @"James.1065" said:

> > @"Maddog.3716" said:

> > Reaper relies on shroud therefore, it works with toughness. After PoF, this game needs a new characteristic - resistance to critical hits.

> >

>

> There is a stat that does this already, it's called weakness

This is called debuff

> @"Maddog.3716" said:

> > @"James.1065" said:

> > > @"Maddog.3716" said:

> > > Reaper relies on shroud therefore, it works with toughness. After PoF, this game needs a new characteristic - resistance to critical hits.

> > >

> >

> > There is a stat that does this already, it's called weakness

> This is called debuff

>

What's your point? It does the same thing you were saying needs to be added