sand portals in non-pof zones :(

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> > @Menadena.7482 said:

> > KITTENING READ BEFORE POSTING!!!!!

> >

> > I am NOT NOT NOT making a case for bringing sand portals into core, where did I say that? I was observing jackals are the only mount that do not have as much access to their level 3 mastery as other mounts. Meaning jackal's level 3 mastery should have been something else in POF if the idea was to have mounts available everywhere.

> >

>

> Jackal's tier three mastery is the ability to get to all of the portal gated locations on a map. They have access to 100% of all portal gated locations on core and HoT maps. Sounds like they have full use of their tier three mastery.

Since sand portals are only in POF it is just a legalism to say they have full access to tier 3 in core.

I guess that was true of HoT masteries as well. The Gliding line was immensely useful in core tyria, even though not 'all' of it's abilities translated (like updrafts and ley lines). Now, those were in LW3, but then the same thing may end up happening for jackals in LW4.

But getting back to HoT, we also had poison resistance and bouncy mushrooms, which had 'no' representation in core tyria.

I guess the problem comes down to the fact that the mounts are 'kinda' two things, and that's why you (we?) might be having some issue with it. On the one hand, they are a mount, and have utility as a mount. But at their core, they are just skills, and specifically a mastery skills, which are closely related to dealing with the expansion they were introduced with. The difference with HoT is that we had 'one' line that was 'kinda' like a mount, gliding. The others had no other non-skill-like properties about them, so they were easy to dismiss outside of HoT, and we had no tendency to equate gliding with mushroom bouncing, nor wanted to see them have equal representation in usefulness outside of HoT.

> @Menadena.7482 said:

> > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > @Menadena.7482 said:

> > > KITTENING READ BEFORE POSTING!!!!!

> > >

> > > I am NOT NOT NOT making a case for bringing sand portals into core, where did I say that? I was observing jackals are the only mount that do not have as much access to their level 3 mastery as other mounts. Meaning jackal's level 3 mastery should have been something else in POF if the idea was to have mounts available everywhere.

> > >

> >

> > Jackal's tier three mastery is the ability to get to all of the portal gated locations on a map. They have access to 100% of all portal gated locations on core and HoT maps. Sounds like they have full use of their tier three mastery.

>

> Since sand portals are only in POF it is just a legalism to say they have full access to tier 3 in core.

Since the only purpose of the jackal special ability is to access specially gated locations, and since core tyria lacks such locations, its only accurate to say that someone riding a jackal has as much access to the benefits of their special movement in core tyria as they do in PoF...100% map access.

> @Maikimaik.1974 said:

> The jackal is the fastest mount for uneven areas. So yes, it has an use outside of PoF

Still impractical as I'm not going to get off my other mounts to get on a Jackal to get up a ramp just to get off it again to something more useful as that's wasting time. Might as well get on a Skimmer and float up that ramp if I know I'm going to be going near water or a group of enemies to float/evade, or Raptor and do tiny dashes up that ramp and then when I get above I dash ahead much farther than any other mount, or I just Jumper all the way up as high as I can then get on a Griffon and skip all I don't want to actually do.

Jackal should've done more than "get up ramps higher"

EDIT: I mean "get up ramps faster"

The reason there is no portals in core is because anet want the core game to be experience-able and explore-able to all the players without expansion. Having a single portal there or any updrafts or mushrooms even if it's for convenience purpose would ruin this as non-expansion users won't be able to use them thus they won't be able to fully experience core game.

Now, If your post is not about having Sand Portals in non-pof zones, what exactly is the point of your post? why did you name your thread title like that? It would be nice if you can expound and elaborate instead of raging and telling us to reread your post.

> @Alchofas.8243 said:

> The reason there is no portals in core is because anet want the core game to be experience-able and explore-able to all the players without expansion. Having a single portal there or any updrafts or mushrooms even if it's for convenience purpose would ruin this as non-expansion users won't be able to use them thus they won't be able to fully experience core game.

They added launch pads to the core game that require gliding to use. If they have no intention of using the desert gate, they should put a sand portal there for people that want to skip the story on alts.

> @Menadena.7482 said:

> > @Ashantara.8731 said:

> > Sand portals are just that: portals. You are asking for shortcuts to be implemented in old content. Not gonna happen.

> >

> > What do you need this for in the first place? The Jackal is still fully functional with its blink ability; you do not need portals to make use of it, plus those sand portals per se are **not** part of the Jackal's abilities, they are map mechanics (i.e., shortcuts or entry points to specific locations that you couldn't reach otherwise).

>

> I think my point got lost as I can see that the portals are tied to the dessert theme. It is more my sense of balance between the mounts. All of the other ones have complete use of all their masteries anywhere that any mounts can be.

>

Mounts aren't really meant to be "balanced" outside of their combat initiation abilities.

> @Menadena.7482 said:

> My point was not that the portals should exist all over the place but that it is lopsided **making the jackal pretty useless in core tyria**.

And you. Are. Missing. The. Point. Of. My. Counter-argument. You claim the jackal was useless, I argued that **it is not** because you have full access to its special movement ability (the blink), which does not require portals to use.