New expansion possible?

Razor.6392

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> > @"SnowMochi.7602" said:

> > No expansion, just LS5. That is my gut feeling, but hey, if I'm wrong, I'll eat a 1-inch square of dark chocolate.

>

> The question is: why would they so heavily tease a simple LS5. Did they do something remotely similar for previous chapters?

> Unless the whole thing is ending, in which case I don't think that'd be exciting to announce (rip taimi 4head)

I was wondering about that myself, and no, no mysterious, coy preamble for those previous Living Seasons.

Either they're being deliberately misleading by talking about LS5 in the announcement for the actual announcement, or they are really just going to announce LS5. We'll know in less than 12 hours, I guess.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:

> I could be wrong, but if I remember I think PoF was a surprise drop too after saying they weren't going to release any expansions anytime soon

You're wrong. End of LS4 practically screamed "expansion", and we've been told they were working on one practically since HoT.

They also straight out said that this announcement will be about upcoming _Living World_ release.

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> The question is: why would they so heavily tease a simple LS5.

Because they have no expac to tease, and they do need to tease _something_, or people will start leaving.

As i see it, they are trying to present LS5 as something grand so we won't notice how the game content releases got reduced

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> Has it been outright denied that this whole countdown could be for an expansion? (first in its kind? I don't remember an announcement being so hyped before, much less simple LS stuff)

No,

But they did say they are currently not working on an expansion and are not planning on one at this moment.

They did say that they would continue to the next living world seasons.

there has been one more time that they said this, it was during season one (at the one year mark). to be fair, season one was one of the best seasons ever. It had two issues.

a: most content was only available for 4 weeks.

b: with a release once every 2 weeks, the amount of content per release where pretty small

They also did say that the content teams have more freedom and are not limited to the living world content type we are used to. They can also work on things like existing content

But...They also had massivelay downs (most FTE's where working on an unknown abanded project outside GW2)

So what to expect

This annoucnement will not be about an expansion, but about the next living world seasons. However, these will be richer in content and are not bound to the living world format as we are used to for the last 2 seasons. Due to the massive lay offs, the sky is not the limit and Arenanet needs to up their game first before they can invest in bigger chunks of content in the future. So do not expect it to be a lot bigger. Just bigger and richer.

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > @"Razor.6392" said:

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:

> > > > > I could be wrong, but if I remember I think PoF was a surprise drop too after saying they weren't going to release any expansions anytime soon

> > > > > So if I am correct in what I say then who knows with this announcement they may even tease us with a trailer ? (high hopes i know)

> > > > >

> > > > > But I guess we will find out in a few hours !

> > > >

> > > > No the werent going to release any expasion announcment was after pof had already arrived.

> > > >

> > > > Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire is the second expansion pack for Guild Wars 2, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed and published by ArenaNet. It was released on Microsoft Windows and macOS on September 22, 2017, and was made available for pre-purchase on August 1, 2017.

> > > >

> > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Path_of_Fire

> > > >

> > > > Back in 2018, Mike Z sat down with us at Gamescom and revealed that Guild Wars 2 would not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon.

> > > >

> > > > https://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/columns/guild-wars-2-more-than-just-a-damage-number-1000013464#PX8XQz63Ol0dTtvM.99

> > >

> > > Well, how do you interpret "anytime soon"?

> > >

> > > Could be an announcement for LS5 wrapping the story up then an expansion in 2020. That's 2 years alright.

> >

> > Ls4-6 wrapped up the story, LS5 certainly is a new plot. Dont be so fixated on an expansion. Who knows, we might get LS6 right after LS5.

>

> Bro you have like what, 3-4 posts in this topic alone vehemently denying the possibility of an expansion... what are you trying to do here?

mate, no expension atleast till late 2020, after ls5 will end

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> Unless the whole thing is ending, in which case I don't think that'd be exciting to announce (rip taimi 4head)

It is _not_. Mike Z and the other devs stated at the beginning of the anniversary live stream that they are looking forward to at least another seven years of content (and beyond) that they are excited to share with us.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Razor.6392" said:

> > Unless the whole thing is ending, in which case I don't think that'd be exciting to announce (rip taimi 4head)

>

> It is _not_. Mike Z and the other devs stated at the beginning of the anniversary live stream that they are looking forward to at least another seven years of content (and beyond) that they are excited to share with us.

The devs of destiny said the same and provided a second game instead of 10 years of content for destiny.

Maybe we will get gw3 after all.

> @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Razor.6392" said:

> > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > > @"Razor.6392" said:

> > > > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > > > @"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:

> > > > > > > > I could be wrong, but if I remember I think PoF was a surprise drop too after saying they weren't going to release any expansions anytime soon

> > > > > > > > So if I am correct in what I say then who knows with this announcement they may even tease us with a trailer ? (high hopes i know)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > But I guess we will find out in a few hours !

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No the werent going to release any expasion announcment was after pof had already arrived.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire is the second expansion pack for Guild Wars 2, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed and published by ArenaNet. It was released on Microsoft Windows and macOS on September 22, 2017, and was made available for pre-purchase on August 1, 2017.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Path_of_Fire

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Back in 2018, Mike Z sat down with us at Gamescom and revealed that Guild Wars 2 would not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > https://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/columns/guild-wars-2-more-than-just-a-damage-number-1000013464#PX8XQz63Ol0dTtvM.99

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well, how do you interpret "anytime soon"?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Could be an announcement for LS5 wrapping the story up then an expansion in 2020. That's 2 years alright.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ls4-6 wrapped up the story, LS5 certainly is a new plot. Dont be so fixated on an expansion. Who knows, we might get LS6 right after LS5.

> > > >

> > > > Bro you have like what, 3-4 posts in this topic alone vehemently denying the possibility of an expansion... what are you trying to do here?

> > >

> > > Trying to temper peoples expectation to reality I think

> >

> > Judging by all the expansion threads in recent months, I think there are a lot of people who prefer their own unfounded, wishful thinking over reality.

> >

> > I would expect we'd be long past the denial phase after all this time but clearly that's not the case

>

> Well it shows the playerbase wants an expansion, not just LW

I can't know for sure yet but I have a feeling LS5 won't be on par with an expansion. So yes I'd probably prefer an expansion too.

But it's one thing stating your preference, and another acting like it's happening when they've repeatedly stated it's not. I've seen so many threads not only taking an xpac for granted but even taking it a step further and discussing its features and story...

> @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> > > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Razor.6392" said:

> > > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > > > @"Razor.6392" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:

> > > > > > > > > I could be wrong, but if I remember I think PoF was a surprise drop too after saying they weren't going to release any expansions anytime soon

> > > > > > > > > So if I am correct in what I say then who knows with this announcement they may even tease us with a trailer ? (high hopes i know)

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > But I guess we will find out in a few hours !

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > No the werent going to release any expasion announcment was after pof had already arrived.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire is the second expansion pack for Guild Wars 2, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed and published by ArenaNet. It was released on Microsoft Windows and macOS on September 22, 2017, and was made available for pre-purchase on August 1, 2017.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Path_of_Fire

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Back in 2018, Mike Z sat down with us at Gamescom and revealed that Guild Wars 2 would not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > https://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/columns/guild-wars-2-more-than-just-a-damage-number-1000013464#PX8XQz63Ol0dTtvM.99

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well, how do you interpret "anytime soon"?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Could be an announcement for LS5 wrapping the story up then an expansion in 2020. That's 2 years alright.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Ls4-6 wrapped up the story, LS5 certainly is a new plot. Dont be so fixated on an expansion. Who knows, we might get LS6 right after LS5.

> > > > >

> > > > > Bro you have like what, 3-4 posts in this topic alone vehemently denying the possibility of an expansion... what are you trying to do here?

> > > >

> > > > Trying to temper peoples expectation to reality I think

> > >

> > > Judging by all the expansion threads in recent months, I think there are a lot of people who prefer their own unfounded, wishful thinking over reality.

> > >

> > > I would expect we'd be long past the denial phase after all this time but clearly that's not the case

> >

> > Well it shows the playerbase wants an expansion, not just LW

>

> I can't know for sure yet but I have a feeling LS5 won't be on par with an expansion. So yes I'd probably prefer an expansion too.

>

> But it's one thing stating your preference, and another acting like it's happening when they've repeatedly stated it's not. I've seen so many threads not only taking an xpac for granted but even taking it a step further and discussing its features and story...

I agree....

I kinda expect this season to be richer on content then the past season due to the lack of an expansion they are also working on.

So far during season one they where not working on an expansion (atleast thats what the game lead said during that time) and we had loads of content (although it was dissapointing due to be temporary and being delivered in chunks that where too small). during season 2 and 3 they where working on an expansion as well. During season 4 they where working on the cancelled mobile game project.

So now they have full focus again on GW2 AND the commitment to make it work. But they also have lost a good portion of the team due to the lay offs. I expect it to be richer then living world we had so far, but not on par with an expansion AND a living world season. 40% loss in the teams is just to much to do that. But I do expect the releases to be much richer in content (or more frequently).

> @"SirYoker.6804" said:

> > @"Offair.2563" said:

> > 90% hyped up turtles turning into sacks of dissapointments soon[TM]

> >

>

> If it will be like 4-5 months wait only on one map a little content then not only me but maany people will this lead to leave and slowly dieying of this game will continue.

Remember, that when they said they may be changing LS format, one of the examples was _not_ releasing a new map with each new LS chapter. So, it's possible we'll get even _less_ content than usual with LS.

> @"mrauls.6519" said:

> If all they do is announce LS5... Holy Jesus Christ

Do you really expect them to announce more? I mean, they tried to do everything in their power to keep our expectations low. Well, everything short of actually telling us straight they're not working on expac, but they probably don't want to scare us away, so i expect they again won't mention the E word at all.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"mrauls.6519" said:

> > If all they do is announce LS5... Holy Jesus Christ

> Do you really expect them to announce more? I mean, they tried to do everything in their power to keep our expectations low. Well, everything short of actually telling us straight they're not working on expac, but they probably don't want to scare us away, so i expect they again won't mention the E word at all.

>

Do I? Yes. Should I? Probably not...

It's rough man. I really want another expansion. I've definitely gotten my money's worth, but sometimes I wish there was more "content" if that makes sense... An expansion would be nice

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> > @"SnowMochi.7602" said:

> > No expansion, just LS5. That is my gut feeling, but hey, if I'm wrong, I'll eat a 1-inch square of dark chocolate.

>

> The question is: why would they so heavily tease a simple LS5. Did they do something remotely similar for previous chapters?

To convince you LS is all you really need.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> Consider LS2, which only added two new maps. Kept reusing them and sent you all over Tyria as well.

Those two maps though, had plenty of new assets and amazing replay value. I'd prefer 2-3 expansive maps, full with brand new biomes and mobs than 6 grindy maps made of reused assets mashed together.

Although my main worry is that we might get 2-3 maps in the same vain as current ones, full with recycled content.

> @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Consider LS2, which only added two new maps. Kept reusing them and sent you all over Tyria as well.

>

> Those two maps though, had plenty of new assets and amazing replay value. I'd prefer 2-3 expansive maps, full with brand new biomes and mobs than 6 grindy maps made of reused assets mashed together.

>

> Although my main worry is that we might get 2-3 maps in the same vain as current ones, full with recycled content.

I see this a lot but I fail to see why Dry Top or Silverwastes have "amazing replay value" and, for example, Thunderhead Peaks or Dragonfall do not?

Why is Drytop's content not "grindy" but Thunderhead Peaks is?

It could be because we were so starved of _anything_ new when Dry Top and Silverwastes came out that we see them as amazing things.