Combat in this game is way too slow for me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > >

> > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > >

> > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > >

> > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > >

> > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> >

> > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> >

> >

>

> Meh.

>

> There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> I find GW2 very slow paced.

Why not play this then.?

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > > >

> > > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > > >

> > > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> > >

> > > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Meh.

> >

> > There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> > I find GW2 very slow paced.

>

> Why not play this then.?

Footage is from Mists of Pandaria. They ruined the game since then.

Imagine if you only had 6 spells in GW2, and no profession ability. They kind of did that to WoW.

OP: Combat is too slow.

ME: [playing a daredevil, frantically dodging around White Mantle everything in Lake Doric, as bloodstone/jade/magic attacks come unceasingly from all directions and I'm moving at only slightly less than the speed of sound, flailing a staff and flinging daggers like a madman attempting to beat everything on the head before it beats *my* head in] *AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH*

...can I have your game, OP?

*Ahem*. Returning to a more serious tone... I think you'll find that your opinion is definitely in the minority here. This game prides itself (and rightfully so) on fast-paced, fluid combat - I honestly can't think of something *faster*. That footage from old WoW content doesn't seem all that fast to me...it looks a heck of a lot slower than anything GW2 offers, actually: just button-mashing. What's fun or engaging about that?

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > >

> > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > >

> > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > >

> > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > >

> > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> >

> > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> >

> >

>

> Meh.

>

> There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> I find GW2 very slow paced.

That dual lasted 20 minutes??? 0.0 Tell me I'm missing something..I got bored after 1min.

Duals in gw2 are over in like 30secs, maybe a 1 minute max. (if players are tanky )..and you're calling gw2 slow?

do you even pvp?

Yeah, even faster combat would be so much fun for those of us with 250 ping or greater.

I remain curious about the reason for "I wish this game was more like this other game". Why don't you just play the other game? WoW is _irrelevant_ to GW2. GW2 is not WoW. WoW is not GW2.

Alternatively, make a game that _you _want to play.

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > > > >

> > > > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> > > >

> > > > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Meh.

> > >

> > > There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> > > I find GW2 very slow paced.

> >

> > How do you find that in the video faster than GW2? That's like playing GW2 while having slow and chill applied on you at the same time.

> > Judging by your posts I think your PC might be an issue if you play at 5 FPS it might make the game look slow compared to 120 FPS in WoW.

>

> Look at the spellbar though. What you may not realize is that there are quite a few spells that are off-GCD, meaning he's often casting two at the same time.

> And the baseline movement speed is faster in WoW than in GW2 imo.

It’s not. Have you played BFA? Because that video is from MoP times where every player need Razer Tartarus and Razer Naga in order to play at least decent level in PvP.

Now you can’t play as fast as this guy does with global cooldowns everywhere. I main Arms Warrior in WoW Retail. There are THREE offensive abilities and maybe 7 abilities that are utility/defensive, but most of them very situational. This means that in Raids I just spam 3 buttons and in PvP it’s not much more, because most defensive abilities have three minute cooldowns build into them, so once used are worthless to me. Compare that to GW2 where every ability has its use and there is no global cooldowns.

To everyone that doesn’t know what global cooldown is - it’s a cooldown that is shared across all your abilities. Meaning that activating one ability will lock you from activating another one for 1.5 second or longer. On top of that, almost every single ability has its own cooldown, so you have cooldowns on top of cooldowns (no joke!). This affects even simplest of attacks, which makes PvP feel like watching a chess tournament.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> I remain curious about the reason for "I wish this game was more like this other game". Why don't you just play the other game?

The reasoning behind is really simple. You may like game 1, but find appealing features in game 2 that you believe could enhance game 1. Like, oh, I don't know...Mounts? Cloaks? Raids?

What's so hard to understand about that?

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > > > >

> > > > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> > > >

> > > > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Meh.

> > >

> > > There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> > > I find GW2 very slow paced.

> >

> > Why not play this then.?

>

> Footage is from Mists of Pandaria. They ruined the game since then.

> Imagine if you only had 6 spells in GW2, and no profession ability. They kind of did that to WoW.

That sucks if they ruin your favorite gameplay :/

Btw GW1 only had 8 skills and I kinda loved it, and it was way slower than GW2. But I still think I loved that game way more than the current gw2.

I think the tempo of combat in this game is kind of wrong - personally, I think combat is too fast in some areas, while being too slow in others.

One of the things that makes the game feel slow (for me) is that enemies are mainly health sponges, lacking any form of punishable quirks or animations (besides the breakbar). The player character is guilty of having few punishable or punishing skills too, thanks to "QoL" changes. Usually dps is usually dependant on how well you can execute an optimised skill rotation while not standing on floor aoe - so you're essentially just waiting for the boss to die. Sure, you need quick fingers to get high numbers, but does it make the encounter feel faster or more exciting?

I think this game would be more fun if it slowed down and had more skills like hundred blades or meteor storm - powerful skills that even an ai could punish.