Lunar new year celebration

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> All that was stated was that it would be before January 28th. According to Dev posts, the next Release is January 14th, so I'd guess then?

>

> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-the-new-year/

I wonder why they didn't announce it today then? It all adds up to be next week, but no week-before-announcement?

Edit: just saw the confirmation tweet, guess they did announce it today! Nothing on main website though, which is a little odd

> @"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:

> ..... Lucky New Years Skyscale.....

>

> in CHINESE DRAGON STYLE......

YES! PLEASE! I'm really confused why there aren't more holiday mount packs. There are 3 halloween themed bundles, one for each year since mounts. But only one for wintersday, why don't they add winter mounts each year? and Zephyrite themed for four winds festival? Or wind themed? Sun? anything? Holographic mounts for Dragon Bash? That festival would also be an appropriate time to introduce Mordrem, Risen, Icebrood, and Destroyer themed sets. And for lunar new year, how about Lunar based mounts, or chinese mythology ones? Obviously the skyscale could have a new 2K gem skin that makes it look like a chinese dragon, but they could also do a set for all the mounts.

> @"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:

> My Magic Find is at 160. Would it be a good idea to buy a bunch of lucky envelopes and then go to the Silverwastes and max map buffs before opening them?

>

> In SW my MF is over 400, would I be getting good return on my investments by opening the packs then?

You want to stack as much mf as you can. Grab every Poss boost you can find. I usually always end up in profit at just shy of 500 every year. Many stack it for beyond that though

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > @"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:

> > ..... Lucky New Years Skyscale.....

> >

> > in CHINESE DRAGON STYLE......

>

>

> YES! PLEASE! I'm really confused why there aren't more holiday mount packs. There are 3 halloween themed bundles, one for each year since mounts. But only one for wintersday, why don't they add winter mounts each year? and Zephyrite themed for four winds festival? Or wind themed? Sun? anything? Holographic mounts for Dragon Bash? That festival would also be an appropriate time to introduce Mordrem, Risen, Icebrood, and Destroyer themed sets. And for lunar new year, how about Lunar based mounts, or chinese mythology ones? Obviously the skyscale could have a new 2K gem skin that makes it look like a chinese dragon, but they could also do a set for all the mounts.

Imaging they use the current skyscale base but take off the wings, and keep the body movement animation.... omg I really hope this the real....

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> I still dont get why the heck Tyrians are celebrating lunar new year when we dont have Cantha

> and out of all places is at Divinity's Reach, far away from the trading port of Lion's Arch

>

> Cantha next expansion PLS, and ASAP, so we can celebrate at Shing Jea Monastery

Because a fairly significant portion of the modern Krytan population is descended from Canthan refugees and have maintained parts of the culture.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:

> > My Magic Find is at 160. Would it be a good idea to buy a bunch of lucky envelopes and then go to the Silverwastes and max map buffs before opening them?

> >

> > In SW my MF is over 400, would I be getting good return on my investments by opening the packs then?

>

> You want to stack as much mf as you can. Grab every Poss boost you can find. I usually always end up in profit at just shy of 500 every year. Many stack it for beyond that though

My goal for this year is to remember I have a bunch of magic find boosters in my bank and actually use them. (Unlike the two different kinds of karma boosters I forgot about until the last few days of Wintersday.) Oh, and the guild boost.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> I still dont get why the heck Tyrians are celebrating lunar new year when we dont have Cantha

> and out of all places is at Divinity's Reach, far away from the trading port of Lion's Arch

>

> Cantha next expansion PLS, and ASAP, so we can celebrate at Shing Jea Monastery

The same reason Lunar New Year is celebrated in real-life western countries who don't use that calendar. People moved there and took their traditions with them. (Which is also the same reason the asura, norn, charr and sylvari celebrate Wintersday - the humans introduced them to the festival and it caught on.)

If Anet misses the opportunity to do some "Year of the Skritt" things for the Year of the Rat, I will be sorely disappointed.

As for why a Canthan holiday is celebrated in Kryta, same reason that the USA celebrates Cinco de Mayo: immigration. There are many NPCs in DR who make references to Cantha and their Canthan origins in the "walking around" dialogue of the city.

> @"Jimbru.6014" said:

> If Anet misses the opportunity to do some "Year of the Skritt" things for the Year of the Rat, I will be sorely disappointed.

>

> As for why a Canthan holiday is celebrated in Kryta, same reason that the USA celebrates Cinco de Mayo: immigration. There are many NPCs in DR who make references to Cantha and their Canthan origins in the "walking around" dialogue of the city.

If you pick the 'dead sister' biography option for your human character you even get the option to say your character is of Canthan origin, although it doesn't affect anything except one NPC in that storyline, but it does mean Anet recognised that some people in DR would still call themselves Canthan even if they don't live there any more. (Other options are Krytan, Ascalonian or Elonian.)

Some significant dates actually end up being more widely celebrated outside of their homeland. Cinco de Mayo is one example, and St Patrick's Day is another - both are a bigger deal in the USA than in their country of origin. In Ireland St. Patrick's Day is still predominately a religious festival - churches will have special services, schools might do a play or a small parade nearby and special themed lessons in the run up to the day, but most people commemorate it by spending time at home with their families. There are now some parades in big cities but those are a relatively new introduction to cater to tourists who visit Ireland expecting American-style celebrations. I think it got to be a bigger deal in the USA because Irish immigrants were not exactly welcomed at first (especially when a lot were going over, during the Great Potato Famine) which drove them into insular communities who then reacted by publicly celebrating their heritage rather than hiding it or acting ashamed of who they were.

I don't think there was the same kind of aggression towards Canthan immigrants to Kryta, and of course we don't know how Lunar New Year is now celebrated in Cantha, but it doesn't surprise me that it's a big deal in Divinity's Reach.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I don't think there was the same kind of aggression towards Canthan immigrants to Kryta, and of course we don't know how Lunar New Year is now celebrated in Cantha, but it doesn't surprise me that it's a big deal in Divinity's Reach.

Here's one way to think about it: when Cantha was closed off first by Usoku's isolationism and then the rise of Orr, all the Canthan merchants, travelers, exiled rebels, and other Canthans caught outside Cantha's borders had to go somewhere. "Somewhere" was the Canthan Quarter in DR, which used to be where the Crown Pavilion is now before the Great Collapse in 1325 AE. So there was a sizable Canthan population in DR for at least the last century and then some, and still is if you pay attention to NPC dialogue as you walk around. I think one NPC mentions a figure of 150 years, which sounds right for when Usoku closed Cantha's borders.