Please add a recipe for delicious rice balls into the game

This would be silly. If the recipe components cost more than the item itself on the TP (like, say, the Wintersday utility items), no one would ever make the thing over buying it directly. And if the recipe is made significantly cheaper than the item's trade value, it will just cause deflation in the price and remove an item of value from the envelope drops.

Just buy them on the TP, or buy envelopes if you want to gamble a little at the same time.

> @"Kunzaito.8169" said:

> And if the recipe is made significantly cheaper than the item's trade value, it will just cause deflation in the price and remove an item of value from the envelope drops.

The only supply, currently, is through the envelopes. Which are only available during Lunar New Year. There is no other method of getting this item, for example there is no Lunar node for the home instance (like the Wintersday tree) which could be a source of the rice balls .

I don't see how my suggestion is silly. The market corrects. I simply want the monopoly on source to be removed. Currently it is possible for a small number of people to buy the entire amount of delicious rice balls and then flip. Why should this game encourage flipping of an item that is meta?

Or provide an alternative recipe to make a healing food that is meta. We have the means to make ascended food for groups that is meta. Why can't we have a recipe to make meta food for ourselves?

Envelopes are only generated during LNY but can be purchased year round on the TP. There's plenty of supply.

"The market corrects," yes, but you're assuming that the change necessitating the correction is desirable for the economy as a whole. I honestly don't have a stake in this - I have a stack of this food from my own envelopes that suffices for my needs during the year. But I do get a little tired of the calls for prices to come down any time any item gets a little bit of value when so much of what you can acquire in game sells for barely above vendor price. Having this food come exclusively from envelopes adds a bit of value and/or incentive to a lottery ticket item. The first year when all the LNY food was basically vendor trash didn't feel great; it's a lot better when the envelopes feel worthwhile when you don't get the $$$ trophies.

I'd agree if people could buy the whole supply that would be an issue, but right now the TP is showing "999999+" as the number listed, and the price has only risen a couple of silver since I looked at it like six months ago, so I don't think it's being manipulated on the level you describe. Looks like a natural price rise as stocks depleted over the year, and it's just about to drop again when LNY hits in a week.

Also, this is not the same as the steamed red dumpling debacle 2 years ago. There, ANet created a huge sink for a very rare drop which drove the prices to like 1g each. A useful food costing ~15s is par for the course or even a little cheap by historical standards (e.g. seaweed salad, lemongrass poultry soup, and oysters gnashblade were at their peak around 50s, fried oyster sandwich cost 1.5 g to make, etc.)

For starters, I think they said they added some extra stuff to this Lunar new year festival and changed things up. So let's see what they did.

But ye, I definitely suggest the ascended healing food for the 1 hour duration and extra bonuses. Plus you can farm the mats yourself and make it even cheaper.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

>

> The only supply, currently, is through the envelopes. Which are only available during Lunar New Year. There is no other method of getting this item, for example there is no Lunar node for the home instance (like the Wintersday tree) which could be a source of the rice balls .

And yet, the price is mostly stable (slowly decreasing) over the year and the supply on the TP has been steadily *rising*.

This past year it rose relatively sharply after LNY, peaking at the end of april. From then, it's been slowly *dropping* in price, with a crash-and-recovery in late August to early September. According to your own statement that "the market corrects", this would indicate that the supply is more than enough to meet the current demand...

[ Data gathered from https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/68634-Delicious-Rice-Ball - select Year in the graph at the bottom ]

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> So back to the point. If they are that cheap, then there should be no issue with a recipe that would affect supply and tank the price.

Since this game's loot and reward system is based heavily on the principle of loot that by itself is cheap but allows people to trade in the loot they don't want for other stuff they can use, there is always an issue if one (of the many) rewards is taken out of the system by gutting demand. The whole system is built on the basis that there is lots and lots of different items supplied and lots and lots of different items demanded by different participants. While each single kind of item might not look like much, taking it out of the trade/reward system will make the whole system less robust, step by little step.

The price of rice balls, as somebody already pointed out above, does suggest that supply and demand for them really are in a good spot and work very well within the system we have. If you really feel the need to change something, come up with a recipy you think might fit, and simulate crafting by selling the materials on the trading post and using the funds to buy the rice balls. I wouldn't be surprised if any half-way realistic ingredient list would actually leave you with more silver (if not gold) in the process.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> So back to the point. If they are that cheap, then there should be no issue with a recipe that would affect supply and tank the price.

There is no reason to not have a recipe for this added. Some people would rather craft their own for their own use. The ingredients can be harvestable/karma vendor items, which means, that it would save these people from having to pay any money for them on the TP. Essentially, they are free to the people who would be the harvester/crafter if the item. The recipe itself, for me, would not be to "turn a profit". I would just want it for my own personal use.

> @"kratan.4619" said:

> > @"Hesione.9412" said:

> > So back to the point. If they are that cheap, then there should be no issue with a recipe that would affect supply and tank the price.

>

> There is no reason to not have a recipe for this added. Some people would rather craft their own for their own use. The ingredients can be harvestable/karma vendor items, which means, that it would save these people from having to pay any money for them on the TP. Essentially, they are free to the people who would be the harvester/crafter if the item. The recipe itself, for me, would not be to "turn a profit". I would just want it for my own personal use.

Here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Fruit_Salad_with_Mint_Garnish

Craft to your hearts content. Simply pretend it's a delicious Rice Ball meal. If you place it in a crowded area and mention this to others (say in LA) you might even get some small donations, more than offsetting the crafting cost potentially even turning a profit.

You now not only have a superior version to the Delicious Rice Ball in every way, you are even actively helping other players. Win-win.

Coming back to the point: all other meta food in the game has a recipe. Why is this different for delicious rice balls? Recipes are added to the game in bunches (e.g. the PoF recipes using PoF mats, the ascended food).

Please add a recipe for delicious rice balls, or their equivalent, into the game. This brings the single-person healing food meta into line with the food metas for single people in other roles. Perhaps this could be bought from the PSNA, on rotation, just like some of the other single-person meta foods.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Hesione.9412" said:

> > So back to the point. If they are that cheap, then there should be no issue with a recipe that would affect supply and tank the price.

>

> other than a complete waste of developer's time for doing work that adds nothing to the game

Its funny you say that, it would allow people who prefer to craft things do so, and thats not a bad thing. Just because -you- wouldnt use it doesnt mean others wouldnt.

> @"kratan.4619" said:

>Essentially, they are free to the people who would be the harvester/crafter if the item. The recipe itself, for me, would not be to "turn a profit". I would just want it for my own personal use.

Did you miss the part of basic economics that demonstrates that when demand falls for something there's downward pressure on the price? If anyone who wants to can craft the food "essentially for free" why would anyone buy it on the TP?

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> Coming back to the point: all other meta food in the game has a recipe. Why is this different for delicious rice balls?

ANet doesn't make the meta. A meta emerges from player behavior based on the current skill balance and stat combos. Before Minstrel FB was a thing, rice balls were worthless. So ANet has no reason to make a change based on whether something is "meta" or not - they make changes based on their overall goals for the economy.

In this case it's been painstakingly shown to you with historical data even that the price of this food is in a good place both in comparison to other meta foods and in terms of its price in isolation. An alternative ascended feast option has also been proposed to you at similar cost. So your persistence at this point is either pure pedantry (the simple lack of a recipe irks you despite there being no practical reason for it to be added), or just another selfishness in isolation request (you want it cheaper for no other reason than you personally don't want to pay the market price).

I keep coming back to the point which is: all other meta food in the game has a recipe. Why is this different for delicious rice balls? Recipes are added to the game in bunches (e.g. the PoF recipes using PoF mats, the ascended food).

The cost of making them is irrelevant (should a recipe be created). The supply and demand for them on the TP is irrelevant. Even if these were not hypotheticals, they do not affect the point of my request.

The point is choice. If we have a recipe we can choose to make them. Alternatively, we can choose to (continue to) buy them on the TP or farm them during Lunar New Year, or whatever.

All I would like is a recipe for delicious rice balls, or an equivalent, brought into the game to bring the ability to craft the food into line with other meta foods and utilities. The food could be BoA when made, much like bountiful maintenance oils are BoA. But it would give us choice.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> I keep coming back to the point which is: all other meta food in the game has a recipe. Why is this different for delicious rice balls? Recipes are added to the game in bunches (e.g. the PoF recipes using PoF mats, the ascended food).

> The cost of making them is irrelevant (should a recipe be created). The supply and demand for them on the TP is irrelevant. Even if these were not hypotheticals, they do not affect the point of my request.

> The point is choice. If we have a recipe we can choose to make them. Alternatively, we can choose to (continue to) buy them on the TP or farm them during Lunar New Year, or whatever.

> All I would like is a recipe for delicious rice balls, or an equivalent, brought into the game to bring the ability to craft the food into line with other meta foods and utilities. The food could be BoA when made, much like bountiful maintenance oils are BoA. But it would give us choice.

Essentially, because ANet doesn't create recipes for "symmetry". They look at sources overall, and as long as the supply/demand is acceptable they are happy with existing sources. Messing with the sources of one of the LNY foods also affects the market for the envelopes - the primary driver for the festival.

Are *any* of the Lunar New Year foods craftable, btw?

I'm not even going to bother counting how many times it's been said, but I'll reiterate: people have pointed you to a stronger, not much more expensive, option if you *absolutely* want to craft it yourself - the ascended food.