What happened to Anet?

Yasi.9065

A very serious question. What happened to the company that made GW1, that made dungeons, early raids, wvw, pvp.... the amazing combat system in GW2.

Now its "challenging" new content to run in circles in a former story instance using abilities scavenged from former releases?

GW2 was so engaging in the beginning. I had tons of fun with LS1, LS2, HoT. But ever since PoF everything has become streamlined, easy-mode, non-offendable bland. Well not everything, there are some flashes of the brilliant gameplay developement I fell in love with in GW1.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are various answers to that

- everything was cool at the beginning because it was new. It was certainly blander in the early years, we just didnt notice

- it is a different team. After so many years, new people come in and have different visions for the story and direction of the game. The story no longer has as much relevance to the guild wars universe and projects drop out

- The game went more mainstream. That meant appealing to a different audience than GW1. Some vets bought, others did not.

- LS1 did a huge amount of damage to the games rep and Im not sure it ever really recovered. Perhaps they are less inclined to be ambitious knowing the reactions of the community are usually hostile

Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

Edit/update/clarification:

The game’s challenge was increasing progressively. We saw this when players hit Orr, throughout LS1, LS2, HoT, and LS3. It’s with POF that they shifted directions and the game has gotten progressively easier resulting in what we’re seeing now with the new Living World season. That would be a 180 as the game is no longer getting more challenging but easier.

Edit 2:

As players continuously play a game, they theoretically tend to get better at it. I say theoretically because I don’t want to make a blanket statement as we all know there are those players that never improve nor try to.

With the increasing skill level of the players, the challenge of newer content is increased. This is nothing new as games have done this since the 1990s.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

*Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

>

> *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> >

> > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

>

> There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > >

> > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> >

> > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

>

> It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > >

> > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > >

> > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> >

> > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

>

> Like how lots of players quit after POF?

Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > >

> > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > >

> > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> >

> > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

>

> Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

Do you have a source?

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > >

> > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > >

> > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > >

> > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> >

> > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

>

> Do you have a source?

Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > >

> > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > >

> > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > >

> > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> >

> > Do you have a source?

>

> Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

That shows nothing about player populations.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > >

> > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > >

> > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > >

> > > Do you have a source?

> >

> > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

>

> That shows nothing about player populations.

TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > > >

> > > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > > >

> > > > Do you have a source?

> > >

> > > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> >

> > That shows nothing about player populations.

>

> TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

There are numerous other factors which affect game revenue than just player population. But feel free to continue with the strawman about me implying that a game can’t earn money without a population.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do you have a source?

> > > >

> > > > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > > > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> > >

> > > That shows nothing about player populations.

> >

> > TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

>

> There are numerous other factors which affect game revenue than just player population.

Yet player population is a main factor.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Do you have a source?

> > > > >

> > > > > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > > > > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> > > >

> > > > That shows nothing about player populations.

> > >

> > > TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

> >

> > There are numerous other factors which affect game revenue than just player population.

>

> Yet player population is a main factor.

Source? Do you know how many players purchase gems?

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Do you have a source?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > > > > > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> > > > >

> > > > > That shows nothing about player populations.

> > > >

> > > > TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

> > >

> > > There are numerous other factors which affect game revenue than just player population.

> >

> > Yet player population is a main factor.

>

> Source? Do you know how many players purchase gems?

Only Anet/Ncsoft knows how many players purchase gems obviously. If you can't see a link between player population and revenue, then i'm sorry. Source? Just look at every game. Keep insisting that casual players "destroyed" GW2, it's funny, where's your source on that?

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Do you have a source?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > > > > > > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That shows nothing about player populations.

> > > > >

> > > > > TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

> > > >

> > > > There are numerous other factors which affect game revenue than just player population.

> > >

> > > Yet player population is a main factor.

> >

> > Source? Do you know how many players purchase gems?

>

> Only Anet/Ncsoft knows how many players purchase gems obviously. If you can't see a link between player population and revenue, then i'm sorry. Source? Just look at every game. Keep insisting that casual players "destroyed" GW2, it's funny, where's your source on that?

I’m not denying that there’s a link. I’m denying your assumption that it’s a strong one and that it disputes what I initially stated in this thread. All I see is that you’re twisting the discussion onto a tangent that I wasn’t arguing and using a strawman to make it easier to argue against me.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Do you have a source?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > > > > > > > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > That shows nothing about player populations.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

> > > > >

> > > > > There are numerous other factors which affect game revenue than just player population.

> > > >

> > > > Yet player population is a main factor.

> > >

> > > Source? Do you know how many players purchase gems?

> >

> > Only Anet/Ncsoft knows how many players purchase gems obviously. If you can't see a link between player population and revenue, then i'm sorry. Source? Just look at every game. Keep insisting that casual players "destroyed" GW2, it's funny, where's your source on that?

>

> I’m not denying that there’s a link. I’m denying your assumption that it’s a strong one and that it disputes what I initially stated in this thread.

If you don't think players population is a huge factor for revenue, I can't help you. You can keep claiming casual player complaints are at fault, but I've yet to see someone proving that. In fact Anet went all in on endgame content after HoT for some time, yet their revenue didn't recover.

Also, you're using strawman wrong. It isn't a strawman, since I'm sure revenue, playerbase and direction of the game are linked very strongly.

It just seems you're calling "strawmanning" to discredit my argument.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Casual players complained about HoT, Anet missed what their core complaints were, and did a complete 180 with the direction of the game.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > *Casual players left because of HoT, most didn't complain. Anet saw their new plan of catering to a niche failed, so they did a complete 180.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > There was nothing niche about the direction they were going.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > It was niche enough to make lots of players quit.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Like how lots of players quit after POF?

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Drop off was way stronger after HoT. Also players that were scared off by HoT are hard to bring back.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Do you have a source?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> > > > > > > > > Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > That shows nothing about player populations.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > TIL I can earn money with my game without a population.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There are numerous other factors which affect game revenue than just player population.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yet player population is a main factor.

> > > >

> > > > Source? Do you know how many players purchase gems?

> > >

> > > Only Anet/Ncsoft knows how many players purchase gems obviously. If you can't see a link between player population and revenue, then i'm sorry. Source? Just look at every game. Keep insisting that casual players "destroyed" GW2, it's funny, where's your source on that?

> >

> > I’m not denying that there’s a link. I’m denying your assumption that it’s a strong one and that it disputes what I initially stated in this thread.

>

> If you don't think players population is a huge factor for revenue, I can't help you. You can keep claiming casual player complaints are at fault, but I've yet to see someone proving that. In fact Anet went all in on endgame content after HoT for some time, yet their revenue didn't recover.

You don’t know what percentage of players purchase gems and how much. Anet could add 100K new players and none of them could ever purchase gems. There are also other factors such as there being something worth buying in the gemstore, more players increasingly buying gems with gold, the cost difference between the two expansions, and so on. The quarterly reports are not concrete enough to back up your assumption about player populations.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> Only the NCsoft earning reports: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=&BNo=&SYear=&SType=&SWord=&PNo=1

> Comparing post HoT and comparing post PoF.

That's highly irrelevant to the discussion about the direction the game has NOW. This isn't Heart of Thorns vs Path of Fire, but rather Path of Fire vs Icebrood Saga. The direction in Path of Fire wasn't a 180 compared to the direction of Heart of Thorns, the expansion itself had more than enough challenging encounters, mobs more difficult that Heart of Thorns versions, Raids, Fractals and everything else. It's the Icebrood Saga that did a total 180 compared to every other year in the past with a complete lack of interesting mechanics/ideas and total disregard for instanced content.

I'll wait for the Q4 2019 and Q1 2020 results to compare with the Path of Fire era, to see if this casuallification actually works out for Arenanet.