What am I missing about Warriors in WvW

Blakhart.5024

TO be up front. I hate WvW. Ive played the game, off and on, since launch and I have always hated the "zerg" of WvW. WHoever zergs with the most wins and you accomplish so little in small groups you have to go with zergs to get the real progress. I much prefer and have more success in PvP venues.

That being said... have to WvW because of rewards and legendary reqs.

**_So. Is it just me or are warriors pretty much just trash pandas in WvW?_**

The major weaknesses I am dealing with is two fold:

1) If I take a build that actually does any damage, I die faster than anything in the zerg-play. I can manhandle ones or twos with my Berserker or Axe/Axe Str/Arms/Disc build... but again, you get F all when youre not zerging so this type of play in WvW is pointless

2) IF I take something that has SOME longevity (spellbreaker/Def builds) I am just ineffective and do nothing. And - I still die.

Survivability as a warrior right now I am finding is nearly zero, at least for me. I never survive an initial zerg rush. Its condi condi + AoE condi. Trying to get at anything as a melee aggressor is pointless.

I have pretty much resorted to using a Longbow, which does no damage, just so i can hit something while also avoiding being ripped to shreds trying to melee. Meanwhile, I see guardians running into zergs and easily getting away again.

Other builds I have used have been zerker with a LB/Torch build to do condi myself. Again - lacks any survivability and just dies in zergs.

Ive done the Bannermen thing but thats boring as batshit.

I live longest with a Def / Spellbreaker build that can shrug off a few conditions but I am so ineffectual at actually being a threat I dont see the point of the build.

So am I wrong in that warriors are just trash for WvW atm? What part of the picture am I not seeing?

Either you play a nearly immortal spellbreaker tank, strip some boons and bait attacks from noobs to protect your backline (skilled players will just ignore you and push into the backline) or you improve your positioning and play a bursty berserker that is pretty squishy.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> Either you play a nearly immortal spellbreaker tank, strip some boons and bait attacks from noobs to protect your backline (skilled players will just ignore you and push into the backline) or you improve your positioning and play a bursty berserker that is pretty squishy.

Pretty accurate. You can play Spellbreaker and be tanky with great CC and strips but no damage (you set up bursts for other people), or you play a very glassy burst Berserker. Core can perhaps be played as a support play style but doubt it’s better than CCbreaker.

@Blakhart : They bugfixed mainhand axe on spellbreaker , so you really should run Greatsword for power damage (and mobility) which was reduced only 10% for arc divider. Even before the fix, axe is only single target burst.

Spellbreaker is more about positioning, you can't facetank anything if you run marauder , especially without toughness from the defense traitline.

If you want to run trailblazer or dire condi (something to make up for -300 toughness) you can do berserker sword+torch with longbow but it isn't as strong as burn guard I think.

There's gimmicks with gunflame berserker but those aren't really viable against organized groups.

If condi is an issue, run "Shake it Off" + berserker stance. Discipline with the condi clear on weaponswap (Brawler's Recovery) is generally run on top of that.

I've noticed this too. Warrior used to be one of my favorite classes for WvW, but now I'm having a lot of trouble making a decent build. Seems like if I try to run tanky, I'm noticeably squishier than my other tanky characters while also doing much less damage than them. If I run dps, anyone who knows how to dodge or kite completely wrecks me. If I try to run a hybrid sort of build, I just end up bad at everything. I've also noticed that while roaming on my other characters, nearly every warrior I've encountered since the update has been practically a free bag. So far I think I've only seen one war that actually put up a fight, and that was a heavy CC build vs my necro. I'm really glad they are toning down the powercreep, but it's starting to feel like they hit warrior too hard.

There are weapons and utilities that did not need toning down, but they did an across the board (not really) reduction. OH Sword did not get touched, but who runs OH Sword?

The rifle rework was nice, but it is crippled due to the damage reduction on the skills. Killshot, Volley, and Gunflame can be justified for damage reduction, but the rest of the skills was too much. The end result is you can do more than AA more often, but you deal about the same DPS as before which Rifle was in need more of not less.

Reducing Fierce Blow's scaling after making half of hammer deal no damage was over the line.

Damage is all Warrior does outside of boon ripping on Spellbreaker, and they took to much away from Warrior.

At this point the Dev team needs to flat out rework some of the weapons and go around the Balance team's back and increase the numbers. I've played my other character's, and I do not feel they were hit as hard as Warrior. Let's face it, they swapped Power Creep for Condi Creep, and Warrior Condi works great versus Golems, but not so much players.

Interesting and fun sustain build is full diviner defense spellbreaker with gs/hammer and high retal/protection/resistance uptime (58% damage reduction including food, unless it stacks differently). It works quite well except against heavy boon rip/convert builds. I had some fun with it the past 2 days, after trying builds that don't work. Rifle is trap, dagger offhand is joke.

Weakness and Protection are real problems now. Enemy builds with high uptime on either mean a guaranteed loss, you just dont have the damage anymore.

Its even worse with bunker condi, and barrier spam.

Feels like I am using those foam pool noodles they sell in the toy department instead of actual weapons.

> @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> Run Gunflame and snipe from the Zerg.

Would that be Arms, Discipline, Berserker with signets? I just don't know what to do with this class.

I picked up Warrior on a lark after the patch because I like the character I created, and I feel like it's a meme class at this point. It's a lot of fun, but it has no unifying strategy to help fight... anything. Mostly praying they suck and stay near you. Really wanted rifle to be cool now, finally, but... ugh. It could do literally double damage and still be bad outside the burst skills.

> @"Antipode.7830" said:

> > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > Run Gunflame and snipe from the Zerg.

>

> Would that be Arms, Discipline, Berserker with signets? I just don't know what to do with this class.

>

> I picked up Warrior on a lark after the patch because I like the character I created, and I feel like it's a meme class at this point. It's a lot of fun, but it has no unifying strategy to help fight... anything. Mostly praying they suck and stay near you. Really wanted rifle to be cool now, finally, but... ugh. It could do literally double damage and still be bad outside the burst skills.

Well meme signet will work. Arc divider spam still works. Boon ripping works. I've seen some good SpB roamers with gs+axe/shield. Pop magebane then kite away, and they are still using last stand. Basically using magebane to clear your stun breaks prior to shield slam and burst.

• 1 month later...

> @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

> > @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> > I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

>

> Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

yea, this works great on golems, emm specially that axe 5, golem destroyer indeed

> @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> > > I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

> >

> > Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

>

> yea, this works great on golems, emm specially that axe 5, golem destroyer indeed

Destroys people caught with their stun break on CD as well. Happens frequently, particularly if you bash on them with a hammer first.

> > @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > > > @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> > > > I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

> > >

> > > Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

> >

> > yea, this works great on golems, emm specially that axe 5, golem destroyer indeed

>

> Destroys people caught with their stun break on CD as well. Happens frequently, particularly if you bash on them with a hammer first.

may you show me this build? add me, i'd love to see how this build destroys anything. we can manage a pvp server for some friendly duals.

> @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > > > > @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> > > > > I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

> > > >

> > > > Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

> > >

> > > yea, this works great on golems, emm specially that axe 5, golem destroyer indeed

> >

> > Destroys people caught with their stun break on CD as well. Happens frequently, particularly if you bash on them with a hammer first.

>

> may you show me this build? add me, i'd love to see how this build destroys anything. we can manage a pvp server for some friendly duals.

You incapable of equipping a hammer and an axe/axe and playing it yourself for a few games or something? Do you just stick to dagger/shield every time you play warrior instead of mixing it up?

Seriously, man go play with some different weapon sets every now and then.

> > > > @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > > > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > > > > > @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> > > > > > I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

> > > >

> > > > yea, this works great on golems, emm specially that axe 5, golem destroyer indeed

> > >

> > > Destroys people caught with their stun break on CD as well. Happens frequently, particularly if you bash on them with a hammer first.

> >

> > may you show me this build? add me, i'd love to see how this build destroys anything. we can manage a pvp server for some friendly duals.

>

> You incapable of equipping a hammer and an axe/axe and playing it yourself for a few games or something? Do you just stick to dagger/shield every time you play warrior instead of mixing it up?

>

> Seriously, man go play with some different weapon sets every now and then.

ohh the dodges, you are good at it. everybody can talk random non sense on the forum tho, keep it going

> @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > > > > @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> > > > > I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

> > > >

> > > > Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

> > >

> > > yea, this works great on golems, emm specially that axe 5, golem destroyer indeed

> >

> > Destroys people caught with their stun break on CD as well. Happens frequently, particularly if you bash on them with a hammer first.

>

> may you show me this build? add me, i'd love to see how this build destroys anything. we can manage a pvp server for some friendly duals.

To be fair I can see this build putting out some decent damage and CC in WvW zerg fighting. Axe 5 is really nice cleave. You obviously wouldn’t bring that build to PvP or small scale and sure Berserker GS and /axe would be better for zerg, but it’s still an option. Lan is actually a good warrior player who isn’t afraid to try different things.

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > > @"Lighter.5631" said:

> > > > > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > > > > > @"Nemanja.8501" said:

> > > > > > I can't agree more with previous comments. Warriors are now almost useless for wvw, hammer stuns don't have damage. For me warrior without hammer stun is complete trash.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hammer Stun->swap-> Axe 5 or 100B depending on you preferences. Put a Sigil of Celerity in that Axe or GS and the opponent will be almost dead by the time they get up.

> > > >

> > > > yea, this works great on golems, emm specially that axe 5, golem destroyer indeed

> > >

> > > Destroys people caught with their stun break on CD as well. Happens frequently, particularly if you bash on them with a hammer first.

> >

> > may you show me this build? add me, i'd love to see how this build destroys anything. we can manage a pvp server for some friendly duals.

>

> To be fair I can see this build putting out some decent damage and CC in WvW zerg fighting. Axe 5 is really nice cleave. You obviously wouldn’t bring that build to PvP or small scale and sure Berserker GS and /axe would be better for zerg, but it’s still an option. Lan is actually a good warrior player who isn’t afraid to try different things.

>

>

Works fine in small scale actually. Just blow their stunbreaks. Even then Axe 5 will fish out dodges for Eviscerate and throw axe. Zerg should definitely be GS Zerker or support Spellbreaker though.

Edit: I take that zerg part back. I've spent the past hour in zerg back and forth at Bay diving in and out securing downs with axe 5 while still having time to walk yaks to home tower.

you're not suppose to have a solo mindset if you're full Zerks with the zerg. But you can if you know how to escape after finishing low or downed targets coz within their area, expect some red circle bombing. so you need escape weapons such as GS and Sword.

> @"HAsAsIN.6724" said:

> you're not suppose to have a solo mindset if you're full Zerks with the zerg. But you can if you know how to escape after finishing low or downed targets coz within their area, expect some red circle bombing. so you need escape weapons such as GS and Sword.

If you use Warclaw to get in, then you can use your dodges and Bull's Charge to get out independent of weapon set used. Going full Zerk and diving into the zerg means you need to keep an eye on the health bars to find a good spot to dive in, and have awareness of how the fight is going so that you don't dive in at the wrong time. If you do it right you finish a down with battle maul as well as create more downs with it. Use 1-2 Bursts/Primal Bursts or Axe 2 + Axe 5 then GTFO unless the enemy zerg broke at which point kill them all.

> @"Saleerian.2973" said:

> Is this thread for real?

> - Shout spellbreaker has so much value now. Decent heal, great condi cleanse, great boon removal, decent cc.

All of that just keeps you alive a little bit, where is the damage? Cause it seems like that's completely missing and you are INCREDIBLY focusable.

> - Tact/Disc Berserker does so much damage with cunning, just make a group with firebrand and scrapper and you are ok.

Uh, wut can you share the build that does this? Also pair anything up with a firebrand and scrapper and you're going to do fine.

All in all, warrior is in an abyssal spot right now, you either sacrifice everything into weird damage builds that leave you very vulnerable or you spec everything into weird survival specs that just make you an unfun sponge that can't actually kill anything. This goes especially for roaming builds, there are basically no viable roaming warrior builds right now.