Deadeye Season 2 story and beyond

Ice.2396

I've started playing thief and for me Deadeye is an obvious choice, but the story pve encounters feel too punishing and the "diversity squadron" companions are no help at keeping aggro.

I am currently a couple of missions in an considering quitting altogether since non of the other classes or specs interest me and it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

My question is, what should I expect from HoT, PoF and newer Seasons?

My suggestion is to practice with melee, have a Dagger/Pistol on swap for multiple foes, this way you can burst damage without spending initiative, while keep enemies constantly in blind effect. Apply rifle on single encounter, more powerful foes.

Keep Invigorating Precision trait in check, 1 silver foods like "Plate of Orrian Steak Frittes" will help a long way.

> @"Ice.2396" said:

>it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

I mostly play WvW but I use the same build everywhere and I Kneel a lot, but not for the damage. I like to use Blinds and Stealth Attacks a lot for life steal and siphon anyway, so I go into Kneel if I'm going to set up Snipers Cover for covering people or to roll back over to cover myself but then for blinds and to stealth off of. The rest of the time you should probably be moving and repositioning, carefully. I like sword/dagger or dagger/pistol on weapon switch and I think all five skills are worth the Initiative at the right time for your movement and to move and turn the mobs or groups your fighting wherever you're at.

> @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > @"Ice.2396" said:

> >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

>

> Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

Class design should account for that.

Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

> @"Ice.2396" said:

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> >

> > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

>

> Class design should account for that.

> Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

> @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > >

> > > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

> >

> > Class design should account for that.

> > Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> > Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

>

> The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

>

> Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

>

I want to play a ranged class, not a melee hybrid.

If I cant kite and do effective dps this role is pointless.

Guess I am done here, thanks for your suggestions.

Please consider this thread closed.

> @"Ice.2396" said:

> > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > >

> > > > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

> > >

> > > Class design should account for that.

> > > Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> > > Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

> >

> > The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

> >

> > Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

> >

>

> I want to play a ranged class, not a melee hybrid.

> If I cant kite and do effective dps this role is pointless.

> Guess I am done here, thanks for your suggestions.

> Please consider this thread closed.

The kneel mechanic on a class type like DE was a poor choice or atleast how it was implemented. Reroll ranger and ur problems will be solved with a class that not only has equal dps but way more flexibility and build choices for what ur looking for.

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > > >

> > > > > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

> > > >

> > > > Class design should account for that.

> > > > Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> > > > Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

> > >

> > > The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

> > >

> > > Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

> > >

> >

> > I want to play a ranged class, not a melee hybrid.

> > If I cant kite and do effective dps this role is pointless.

> > Guess I am done here, thanks for your suggestions.

> > Please consider this thread closed.

>

> The kneel mechanic on a class type like DE was a poor choice or atleast how it was implemented. Reroll ranger and ur problems will be solved with a class that not only has equal dps but way more flexibility and build choices for what ur looking for.

Turret dps done right = MM sniper in SWTOR.

I don't want to insult anyone so I am just going to leave it at that Ranger is not my thing. Have one at 80 btw.

> @"Ice.2396" said:

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > > > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

> > > > >

> > > > > Class design should account for that.

> > > > > Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> > > > > Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

> > > >

> > > > The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

> > > >

> > > > Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I want to play a ranged class, not a melee hybrid.

> > > If I cant kite and do effective dps this role is pointless.

> > > Guess I am done here, thanks for your suggestions.

> > > Please consider this thread closed.

> >

> > The kneel mechanic on a class type like DE was a poor choice or atleast how it was implemented. Reroll ranger and ur problems will be solved with a class that not only has equal dps but way more flexibility and build choices for what ur looking for.

>

> Turret dps done right = MM sniper in SWTOR.

> I don't want to insult anyone so I am just going to leave it at that Ranger is not my thing. Have one at 80 btw.

Expect hot to be far more difficult and pof to be fun with long ranged aggro lol. Glad tho ull improve

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > > > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > > > > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Class design should account for that.

> > > > > > Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> > > > > > Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

> > > > >

> > > > > The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

> > > > >

> > > > > Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I want to play a ranged class, not a melee hybrid.

> > > > If I cant kite and do effective dps this role is pointless.

> > > > Guess I am done here, thanks for your suggestions.

> > > > Please consider this thread closed.

> > >

> > > The kneel mechanic on a class type like DE was a poor choice or atleast how it was implemented. Reroll ranger and ur problems will be solved with a class that not only has equal dps but way more flexibility and build choices for what ur looking for.

> >

> > Turret dps done right = MM sniper in SWTOR.

> > I don't want to insult anyone so I am just going to leave it at that Ranger is not my thing. Have one at 80 btw.

>

> Expect hot to be far more difficult and pof to be fun with long ranged aggro lol. Glad tho ull improve

I'll do my best.

> @"Ice.2396" said:

> I've started playing thief and for me Deadeye is an obvious choice, but the story pve encounters feel too punishing and the "diversity squadron" companions are no help at keeping aggro.

> I am currently a couple of missions in an considering quitting altogether since non of the other classes or specs interest me and it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> My question is, what should I expect from HoT, PoF and newer Seasons?

The Rifle kneeling mechanic was designed when Traps still exists. On my first run with DE, I constantly use Ambush Trap to have a reliable NPC to tank for me on a low cooldown.

Now that Traps has been replace by Preparation, it's rather inconvenient to use kneel in PvE without a group.

And yes, the "diversity squad"'s AI is stupid and bugged most of the time so I learned not to rely on them.

Due to these setbacks, I found that it's far more easier to build around Stealth. So even without a group or an NPC tank, every season story mission is soloable with Deadly Arts + Shadow Arts + Deadeye.

You don't really need a high DPS in season story missions as long as you don't die on a single hit and you can manage your stealth very well.

I know the appeal of using the Rifle, but this weapon requires a group in order to access its full potential. If you're going solo, use stealth and kill stuff with a full Malice stack Malicious Back Stab.

You can stick to using the Rifle, but keep in mind that you are choosing to gimp yourself when better options are available.

> @"Ice.2396" said:

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > > > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

> > > > >

> > > > > Class design should account for that.

> > > > > Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> > > > > Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

> > > >

> > > > The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

> > > >

> > > > Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I want to play a ranged class, not a melee hybrid.

> > > If I cant kite and do effective dps this role is pointless.

> > > Guess I am done here, thanks for your suggestions.

> > > Please consider this thread closed.

> >

> > The kneel mechanic on a class type like DE was a poor choice or atleast how it was implemented. Reroll ranger and ur problems will be solved with a class that not only has equal dps but way more flexibility and build choices for what ur looking for.

>

> Turret dps done right = MM sniper in SWTOR.

> I don't want to insult anyone so I am just going to leave it at that Ranger is not my thing. Have one at 80 btw.

Without a companion to tank/heal for you, you'd be in the same boat in SWTOR.

> @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > I've started playing thief and for me Deadeye is an obvious choice, but the story pve encounters feel too punishing and the "diversity squadron" companions are no help at keeping aggro.

> > I am currently a couple of missions in an considering quitting altogether since non of the other classes or specs interest me and it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > My question is, what should I expect from HoT, PoF and newer Seasons?

>

> The Rifle kneeling mechanic was designed when Traps still exists. On my first run with DE, I constantly use Ambush Trap to have a reliable NPC to tank for me on a low cooldown.

>

> Now that Traps has been replace by Preparation, it's rather inconvenient to use kneel in PvE without a group.

>

> And yes, the "diversity squad"'s AI is stupid and bugged most of the time so I learned not to rely on them.

>

> Due to these setbacks, I found that it's far more easier to build around Stealth. So even without a group or an NPC tank, every season story mission is soloable with Deadly Arts + Shadow Arts + Deadeye.

>

> You don't really need a high DPS in season story missions as long as you don't die on a single hit and you can manage your stealth very well.

>

> I know the appeal of using the Rifle, but this weapon requires a group in order to access its full potential. If you're going solo, use stealth and kill stuff with a full Malice stack Malicious Back Stab.

>

> You can stick to using the Rifle, but keep in mind that you are choosing to kitten yourself when better options are available.

Most Marked targets die before an opening sequence is over. When I try pve stuff I still normally take Malicious Intent anyway but Collateral Damage and Cloaked in Shadow keep the pace mostly. I think OP would have fun playing mostly on rifle with whatever weapon switch is most fluid for them to help with crowd control and thinning. Rifle is awesome, use it a lot and even Kneel when it feels right, but OP definitely shouldn't rule out a backup weapon switch that they might have fun with.

> @"kash.9213" said:

> > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > I've started playing thief and for me Deadeye is an obvious choice, but the story pve encounters feel too punishing and the "diversity squadron" companions are no help at keeping aggro.

> > > I am currently a couple of missions in an considering quitting altogether since non of the other classes or specs interest me and it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > My question is, what should I expect from HoT, PoF and newer Seasons?

> >

> > The Rifle kneeling mechanic was designed when Traps still exists. On my first run with DE, I constantly use Ambush Trap to have a reliable NPC to tank for me on a low cooldown.

> >

> > Now that Traps has been replace by Preparation, it's rather inconvenient to use kneel in PvE without a group.

> >

> > And yes, the "diversity squad"'s AI is stupid and bugged most of the time so I learned not to rely on them.

> >

> > Due to these setbacks, I found that it's far more easier to build around Stealth. So even without a group or an NPC tank, every season story mission is soloable with Deadly Arts + Shadow Arts + Deadeye.

> >

> > You don't really need a high DPS in season story missions as long as you don't die on a single hit and you can manage your stealth very well.

> >

> > I know the appeal of using the Rifle, but this weapon requires a group in order to access its full potential. If you're going solo, use stealth and kill stuff with a full Malice stack Malicious Back Stab.

> >

> > You can stick to using the Rifle, but keep in mind that you are choosing to kitten yourself when better options are available.

>

> Most Marked targets die before an opening sequence is over. When I try pve stuff I still normally take Malicious Intent anyway but Collateral Damage and Cloaked in Shadow keep the pace mostly. I think OP would have fun playing mostly on rifle with whatever weapon switch is most fluid for them to help with crowd control and thinning. Rifle is awesome, use it a lot and even Kneel when it feels right, but OP definitely shouldn't rule out a backup weapon switch that they might have fun with.

You're right, but eventually I've ended up using my "back-up" weapon full-time -- until I ended up just dropping Rifle (unless I'm in a group) later on.

When I play deadeye, I use rifle when there's low chance of being the target (like, most group events when I ain't alone). For other situations my alternative is dual pistol 3 spam while kiting (with that 7 trait that heals and recharges initiative I can pretty much unload forever as long as I discharge when at full malice).

unfortunately, due to the way aggro works, it's not possible to avoid enemy aggro, specially when there are no other players around. The closest thing that might help is to use runes of the ogre and hope the rock dog pet draws the enemy's attention while kiting.

> @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > @"kash.9213" said:

> > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > I've started playing thief and for me Deadeye is an obvious choice, but the story pve encounters feel too punishing and the "diversity squadron" companions are no help at keeping aggro.

> > > > I am currently a couple of missions in an considering quitting altogether since non of the other classes or specs interest me and it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > > My question is, what should I expect from HoT, PoF and newer Seasons?

> > >

> > > The Rifle kneeling mechanic was designed when Traps still exists. On my first run with DE, I constantly use Ambush Trap to have a reliable NPC to tank for me on a low cooldown.

> > >

> > > Now that Traps has been replace by Preparation, it's rather inconvenient to use kneel in PvE without a group.

> > >

> > > And yes, the "diversity squad"'s AI is stupid and bugged most of the time so I learned not to rely on them.

> > >

> > > Due to these setbacks, I found that it's far more easier to build around Stealth. So even without a group or an NPC tank, every season story mission is soloable with Deadly Arts + Shadow Arts + Deadeye.

> > >

> > > You don't really need a high DPS in season story missions as long as you don't die on a single hit and you can manage your stealth very well.

> > >

> > > I know the appeal of using the Rifle, but this weapon requires a group in order to access its full potential. If you're going solo, use stealth and kill stuff with a full Malice stack Malicious Back Stab.

> > >

> > > You can stick to using the Rifle, but keep in mind that you are choosing to kitten yourself when better options are available.

> >

> > Most Marked targets die before an opening sequence is over. When I try pve stuff I still normally take Malicious Intent anyway but Collateral Damage and Cloaked in Shadow keep the pace mostly. I think OP would have fun playing mostly on rifle with whatever weapon switch is most fluid for them to help with crowd control and thinning. Rifle is awesome, use it a lot and even Kneel when it feels right, but OP definitely shouldn't rule out a backup weapon switch that they might have fun with.

>

> You're right, but eventually I've ended up using my "back-up" weapon full-time -- until I ended up just dropping Rifle (unless I'm in a group) later on.

I definitely get phases of that, where I'm just tuned into sword/dagger for awhile again and can't put it down because it's the most natural kit for me and probably what I perform best with. That's why I wanted to stress to op to mess around with other kits also, some weapons and weapon combos are going to have that fluidity for people and they might miss out on their kit otherwise.

> @"Vilin.8056" said:

> My suggestion is to practice with melee, have a Dagger/Pistol on swap for multiple foes, this way you can burst damage without spending initiative, while keep enemies constantly in blind effect. Apply rifle on single encounter, more powerful foes.

>

> Keep Invigorating Precision trait in check, 1 silver foods like "Plate of Orrian Steak Frittes" will help a long way.

If you're looking for something to fight multiple foes, sword/pistol probably works better - it has an extra cleave by default, you can still use the blinding cloud, and the dual skill on sword/pistol offers another way of dealing with groups that may sometimes be better than pistol 5 and autoattack.

Broadly speaking, there's probably a _reason_ deadeye didn't come until after daredevil provided an elite specialisation oriented more towards fighting multiple opponents. Some of the areas from season 3 onwards start to lean more towards fewer numbers of individually more dangerous enemies, such that careful use of deadeye rifle can work very well there for picking enemies off one by one, but for S2 and base HoT you need to have good countermeasures for being swarmed.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Ice.2396" said:

> > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > @"Ice.2396" said:

> > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > >it feels like it only going to get worse to survive as a stationary dps.

> > > >

> > > > Since you have trouble with surviving and write about "stationary dps", I assume you're constantly kneeling. So... don't. Don't be stationary, don't use kneel. If you want to facetank (which doesn't mean you shouldn't use evades), play DD with invigorating precision from CS. If you want to play a ranged glass dps, be ready to behave like one.

> > >

> > > Class design should account for that.

> > > Its kinda obvious that I have to kite around, I spent the first fight in Season 2 kiting around a pack of 8 ads constantly respawning and had no help from the companions, why even have a kneeling mechanic where there is no use for it.

> > > Anyways, I have obviously made a mistake with my class choice.

> >

> > The mistake is not the class of choice, but tactics applied with the class.

> >

> > Many new players made a common mistake of relying only on ranged attacks, and suffered greatly from the relative penalties. Happens to all class. To pit it simply, rifle only hit a single enemy at a time therefore is not ideal for dispatching multiple foes.

> >

>

> I want to play a ranged class, not a melee hybrid.

> If I cant kite and do effective dps this role is pointless.

> Guess I am done here, thanks for your suggestions.

> Please consider this thread closed.

Here's the real advice: Play ranger if you want to solo stuff easily as a ranged character with free aggro management. But know that ranged DPS isn't really a thing in this game. It just offers burst and those are two vastly different things with different purposes in different game modes.

Thief is meant to be hard and if you're not using the class to its fullest, and/or are unwilling to do so, you're going to have trouble, especially as a new player.

It's not the class that is too weak. DE is honestly kind of overpowered in a lot of ways relative to most other options for the thief, and there are a lot of people with a lot more experience who will confirm that statement.

If you really want to play thief/rifle DE, play melee first, die a lot, and learn the nuances of the class/spec and then focus on the rifle for easier kills.