REQUEST: The option to turn off health regeneration

Maybe I am crazy to request such a thing, but I see it as a way **to create a personal challenge in Guild Wars 2 game which would not affect anyone else.**

I played Dark Souls, and aside from the stamina system and combat being based on it, one of the reasons the game is challenging is because **every hit you take counts** - there is no health regeneration present, there are just flasks which are limited.

Guild Wars 2 already has a dodge roll system, which is also limited by the endurance system. The weapon swings and skills are not tied to the endurance system (like they are in DS) but that is okay! With the actually nice hybrid-action like combat system, GW2 would ramp-up in challenging gameplay by turning off the overpowered health regeneration system.

There are healing skills, there are sigils and runes to proc healing/life stealing, even Dolyak runes with passive health regeneration, and also regeneration boon. I would like to really feel the impact of all these runes and sigils, boons, and traits. Even vigor to improve endurance regeneration!

This **optional change** could give a breath of the fresh air to the game, and I am also sure it would be very simple to implement :)

I would love to experience the game with my newly created character, all the story it has, and open world content in a more challenging environment.

You can even call it a Hard mode option, and more complicated implementation would be to have achievements and titles created for that mode. Or have that nice button like in Guild Wars 1 (Hard mode icon) which would just turn off your personal health regeneration and even everyone to your party if you vote for so.

This system could help in replayability. Imagine Hard Mode 100% map completion title. Or story mode Hard Mode title based on expansions and LS. Maybe people would party up for story mode and one would go as a healer?

Just an idea I would like a lot to create the environment I miss in this game, and I think it is a simple request to implement which would not affect anyone else in this game :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have no use for the thing myself, but was just wondering if there wasn't a way they could leverage some existing mechanics in game to do it with relatively low cost? Maybe drinks or food (cooking!) that apply random or specific debuffs to you periodically that effectively suppress specific (or random) boons? Last a period of time, and a drink/food to clear them.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> I believe that this suggestion would only "benefit" a very small niche of players. I would not want Anet to spend resources in implementing such a thing. I would prefer playable content that "benefits" a much larger portion of the player base.

That's the idea. To have a choice to play a bit harder version of the game for those who seek a more challenging environment.

Also, it is a really easy implementation, there is no such thing as "spending resources" as in a way it would take away from other things. It is really an easy option to create, not taking more than a few minutes.

How do you know it would take 'only a few minutes'? How do you know changing how health is regenerated would not affect other parts of the game? How do you know creating achievements/titles takes 'only a few minutes' or does not spend resources?

I'm guessing only a current or former ArenaNet Dev specializing in those areas would know.

Good luck on your suggestion, though.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > I believe that this suggestion would only "benefit" a very small niche of players. I would not want Anet to spend resources in implementing such a thing. I would prefer playable content that "benefits" a much larger portion of the player base.

>

> That's the idea. To have a choice to play a bit harder version of the game for those who seek a more challenging environment.

You already have this choice. Play in areas above your level, equip only whites/blues, limit yourself to using only one utility skill. You will see, the game will become more challening.

> Also, it is a really easy implementation, there is no such thing as "spending resources" as in a way it would take away from other things. It is really an easy option to create, not taking more than a few minutes.

Please tell me about how you are a game developer and fully know that this would not need any kind of ressources. Also keep in mind that GW2 runs on a custom engine that is years if not decades old and where many of the original crew have since left the company.

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> I would have no use for the thing myself, but was just wondering if there wasn't a way they could leverage some existing mechanics in game to do it with relatively low cost? Maybe drinks or food (cooking!) that apply random or specific debuffs to you periodically that effectively suppress specific (or random) boons? Last a period of time, and a drink/food to clear them.

That's a really good idea! I like that!

It'd be a nice way of implementing these kind of challenges for people, a food that, for example, suppresses your glider, or keeps you in combat constantly so your regeneration doesn't kick in or halves/quarters all your stats or whatever. Could be really cheap to craft or buy, lasts 24 hours (or forever) but can be turned off at any time by eating another food.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > I believe that this suggestion would only "benefit" a very small niche of players. I would not want Anet to spend resources in implementing such a thing. I would prefer playable content that "benefits" a much larger portion of the player base.

>

> That's the idea. To have a choice to play a bit harder version of the game for those who seek a more challenging environment.

See: Raids

> Also, it is a really easy implementation, there is no such thing as "spending resources" as in a way it would take away from other things. It is really an easy option to create, not taking more than a few minutes.

I'm not sure how you know this?

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > I believe that this suggestion would only "benefit" a very small niche of players. I would not want Anet to spend resources in implementing such a thing. I would prefer playable content that "benefits" a much larger portion of the player base.

> >

> > That's the idea. To have a choice to play a bit harder version of the game for those who seek a more challenging environment.

> See: Raids

> > Also, it is a really easy implementation, there is no such thing as "spending resources" as in a way it would take away from other things. It is really an easy option to create, not taking more than a few minutes.

> I'm not sure how you know this?

>

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> How do you know it would take 'only a few minutes'? How do you know changing how health is regenerated would not affect other parts of the game? How do you know creating achievements/titles takes 'only a few minutes' or does not spend resources?

>

> I'm guessing only a current or former ArenaNet Dev specializing in those areas would know.

>

> Good luck on your suggestion, though.

You are looking at this too much. it is just an option to disable out of combat health regeneration. Very easy implementation, far easier than you think. There is no need for titles, that is not an important request.

You are just against it for the sake of being against it. It would not affect you in any way.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> Maybe I am crazy to request such a thing, but I see it as a way **to create a personal challenge in Guild Wars 2 game which would not affect anyone else.**

>

> Just an idea I would like a lot to create the environment I miss in this game, and I think it is a simple request to implement which would not affect anyone else in this game :)

Good idea, but they will not implement or it will be implemented in the wrong way, usually all the request for more nerf/challenge from toxic/eltist/bored hard core players (not that this is your case anyway) are sometimes implemented for ALL so this resulted in the past with a mess with the game rendering things out of the reach to normal players (the vast majority), I always wondered why a Challenge mode applied in different context it's so difficult to implement (well actually it is since many of the old devs left the company) but this is the real world you have to face the fact that they will not "waste" time implementing a different level for those (few) that need a more challenge, recently seems that they understand that it's possible to have different stats in PVE/PVP/WvW but most of the game it's "as is", so in my opinion Your suggestion it's great if such a CM system could exist, but at the end of the day they could implement it only "patching" the game with this particular option and this is not easy.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > I believe that this suggestion would only "benefit" a very small niche of players. I would not want Anet to spend resources in implementing such a thing. I would prefer playable content that "benefits" a much larger portion of the player base.

> > >

> > > That's the idea. To have a choice to play a bit harder version of the game for those who seek a more challenging environment.

> > See: Raids

> > > Also, it is a really easy implementation, there is no such thing as "spending resources" as in a way it would take away from other things. It is really an easy option to create, not taking more than a few minutes.

> > I'm not sure how you know this?

> >

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > How do you know it would take 'only a few minutes'? How do you know changing how health is regenerated would not affect other parts of the game? How do you know creating achievements/titles takes 'only a few minutes' or does not spend resources?

> >

> > I'm guessing only a current or former ArenaNet Dev specializing in those areas would know.

> >

> > Good luck on your suggestion, though.

>

> You are looking at this too much. it is just an option to disable out of combat health regeneration. Very easy implementation, far easier than you think. There is no need for titles, that is not an important request.

> You are just against it for the sake of being against it. It would not affect you in any way.

If implementing this breaks something else, then yes it does affect me and every other player. You don't know if that will happen or not. Perhaps it is an easy implementation. You don't know that either, unless you have intimate knowledge of the game's code (already defined by Anet as a mess) and have the knowledge and skills to know how it would have to be done.

But as was said before: good luck with your request.

> @"NaramSin.2693" said:

> Good idea, but they will not implement or it will be implemented in the wrong way, usually all the request for more nerf/challenge from toxic/eltist/bored hard core players (not that this is your case anyway) are sometimes implemented for ALL so this resulted in the past with a mess with the game rendering things out of the reach to normal players (the vast majority), I always wondered why a Challenge mode applied in different context it's so difficult to implement (well actually it is since many of the old devs left the company) but this is the real world you have to face the fact that they will not "waste" time implementing a different level for those (few) that need a more challenge, recently seems that they understand that it's possible to have different stats in PVE/PVP/WvW but most of the game it's "as is", so in my opinion Your suggestion it's great if such a CM system could exist, but at the end of the day they could implement it only "patching" the game with this particular option and this is not easy.

>

>

Easier to implement, I think, in instanced content where different modes could be selected. GW2's open world format doesn't really allow for this kind of thing.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

>

> Easier to implement, I think, in instanced content where different modes could be selected. GW2's open world format doesn't really allow for this kind of thing.

Well actually something similar still exists, bosses and events scale up "usually" depending on the number of players so the system is on, they should only make a better algorithm, btw as i said before i doubt they still have the knowledge of the entire code due to the various defections and maybe changing the "core" it's just a risk

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > I believe that this suggestion would only "benefit" a very small niche of players. I would not want Anet to spend resources in implementing such a thing. I would prefer playable content that "benefits" a much larger portion of the player base.

> > >

> > > That's the idea. To have a choice to play a bit harder version of the game for those who seek a more challenging environment.

> > See: Raids

> > > Also, it is a really easy implementation, there is no such thing as "spending resources" as in a way it would take away from other things. It is really an easy option to create, not taking more than a few minutes.

> > I'm not sure how you know this?

> >

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > How do you know it would take 'only a few minutes'? How do you know changing how health is regenerated would not affect other parts of the game? How do you know creating achievements/titles takes 'only a few minutes' or does not spend resources?

> >

> > I'm guessing only a current or former ArenaNet Dev specializing in those areas would know.

> >

> > Good luck on your suggestion, though.

>

> You are looking at this too much. it is just an option to disable out of combat health regeneration. Very easy implementation, far easier than you think. There is no need for titles, that is not an important request.

> You are just against it for the sake of being against it. It would not affect you in any way.

Never said I was against it; I'm ambivalent. It would not affect me, if it actually only took 'a few minutes' and didn't need hours/days of testing, etc. I just want to know if you are a Dev or former Dev, as they are the only ones that know whether it's an easy implementation. (I'm wondering how many Guild Chats you've watched, as the Devs repeatedly explain how involved many seemingly 'simple' content changes are.)

> @"NaramSin.2693" said:

> >

> > Easier to implement, I think, in instanced content where different modes could be selected. GW2's open world format doesn't really allow for this kind of thing.

>

> Well actually something similar still exists, bosses and events scale up "usually" depending on the number of players so the system is on, they should only make a better algorithm, btw as i said before i doubt they still have the knowledge of the entire code due to the various defections and maybe changing the "core" it's just a risk

>

Perhaps, but scaling up affects all players in that instance, not just individual ones.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > @"phokus.8934" said:

> > No..........

>

> why no? I would like to hear an argument.

I could easily list 10 things (maybe as many as 100) simple fixes and tweeks that GW2 needs before anyone should be spending any time on coding your idea into this game.

I've said it 100 times already - you cannot copy/paste text from your in-game chatbox, something you could do in GW1, a now 15-year old game. If ANET lacks the resources to code that change into the game, something that would benefit 100% of the player base, I don't think they have the time to code your idea.

> @"StAllerdyce.3941" said:

> I fail to see how this would actually make the game more difficult instead of merely more tedious. What stops you from just hanging back and using your heal skill till you're healed to full?

Nothing, in fact that's exactly what you would _have_ to do as there are no healing flasks in this game.

So removing out of combat regeneration would just drag out the down time between fights.

Doesn't sound fun or challenging to me. Just tedious.

It would be easy to implement if the engine is not spaghetti code. And the implementation might be easy but the maintenance can still be horrible. Only a dev can give a compentent answer to this topic.

On the player side:

It would make classes with better regeneration access (e.g. warrior) preferable and promote class elistism for the specific content.

For the other classes it would create a demand for a dedicated healer to compensate the disabled health reset.

The pug alternative would be that the whole group is standing around after each fight waiting 3x30s to cast 3 heals off cooldown to refill their health. Sounds like fun! (/irony)

All in all it would kill a lot of versatility for team compositions - in a game that officially does not promote specific roles for specific content.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > @"phokus.8934" said:

> > No..........

>

> why no? I would like to hear an argument.

No with more periods.

I don't think it would amount to much more than waiting between fights until your heal skill has reset.

Also, in gw2 you take damage constantly. I'm Dark Souls you can technically play never losing a single hp if played correctly. That's not true for GW2, rather, you choose which weak hits to take so you can survive other big hits.

It would only work in such an action controlled system.

This would be far better suited to a unique game mode activity like Southsun Survival, it wouldn't work in the open world game.

For starters so many players running around and healing themselves and others all the time, you'd constantly get people healing you when you don't want them too which would defy the whole point of this.

I'm not sure exactly what is being suggested here.

As a personal build choice, why must the game prevent you from having to choose not to take regeneration as a build choice? If you don't want to use regen, don't use it.

You suggested, "Maybe people would party up for story mode and one would go as a healer?" What's the difference between getting heals from others who are designated healers in instanced content and getting them from random people in open world events? Is it that removing regen would eliminate half (or more on some builds) the healer's toolkit?

Or are you suggesting an option to remove OOC health regen _only_? If so, I'm not sure that game elements that are part of the game's fundamental design are always easy to change. I've seen several comments by devs over the years that things that might seem simple to implement to us are anything but. One example pertains to an effects slider. I saw a dev comment on the old forums that a slider could have been built into the game in initial design, but that implementing one after launch would be prohibitively demanding on programmer time.