Mount skins are too expensive

coso.9173

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"coso.9173" said:

> Blows my mind when some people say it's right to have the price of 1 mount be the same that for a full AAA game.

And it kinda blows my mind that we are able to get gem store items for $0 in a game that doesn’t even charge a monthly fee to play, but some players are still unhappy.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"YellowJacket.7249" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > 1600 gems is $20USD That's less than going to a movie. Sorry if you can't afford it, but the cost is quite reasonable especially for a F2P game.

> >

> > Most of the mount skins (by vast majority) are quintessentially just retextured models with nothing new or interesting. I think I'd be upset if I went to a pizzeria for a $20 pizza labeled as 'gourmet' only to see it come out looking like something bought from the wal-mart freezer section.

>

> That is an entirely subjective opinion.

~5$

~3-4$ on discount

Yeah. They are expensive. Considering that most of them are ugly and feel like "too much". (I like more "normal" looking stuff.) And you only use mounts at certain times - when moving. (Most of the game you play unmounted.)

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 500 gems or so. Armor skins are probably the most interesting stuff where I'd pay most. (If there was stuff I liked. I only bought galsses for 200 or so from gem store ha ha. The mist important - chest item - always looks ugly for most paid skins imo.)

My personal opinion though. And for me - yes, mount skins are "too expensinve".

But I can just ignore it because I don't need them. (With sound effect like the SAB raptor ... seemed fun though. Cause of the sound effects.)

I guess ArenaNet can sell them that high cause there are a lot of people that like to show off while just riding the mount (instead of playing and doing other stuff) around in the city or beginner area.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> I have 2 issues with mount skins in this game.

> First, there's no way to earn any by playing the game, it's not a reward for anything. Unless of course you earn gold in game and then change to gems and then but it. But it lacks the feeling of reward you'd get by getting a new skin in-game, not to mention if it would be done like the sky scale or griffon there's an actual story quest with it too, the gem store lacks that too.

> My second complaint is that it's way too expensive. 1200 gems for most skins is too much. 700 gems is the price of most costumes, and it should be the same for mount skins too.

> I'm not against some special skins being luxury items and more expensive, many games have that, but the general price for them should be much closer too 700 gems imo.

I'm guessing mount skins is a lot of their revenue since I don't understand how this game is profitable so I doubt they'll ever lower the cost.

However, they should 100% add mount skins you can earn in game, refusing to do this for so long is really, really, really, really silly.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > @"coso.9173" said:

> > I have 2 issues with mount skins in this game.

> > First, there's no way to earn any by playing the game, it's not a reward for anything. Unless of course you earn gold in game and then change to gems and then but it. But it lacks the feeling of reward you'd get by getting a new skin in-game, not to mention if it would be done like the sky scale or griffon there's an actual story quest with it too, the gem store lacks that too.

> > My second complaint is that it's way too expensive. 1200 gems for most skins is too much. 700 gems is the price of most costumes, and it should be the same for mount skins too.

> > I'm not against some special skins being luxury items and more expensive, many games have that, but the general price for them should be much closer too 700 gems imo.

>

> I'm guessing mount skins is a lot of their revenue since I don't understand how this game is profitable so I doubt they'll ever lower the cost.

> However, they should 100% add mount skins you can earn in game, refusing to do this for so long is really, really, really, really silly.

So you are aware of how Anet monetizes the game to make it profitable....

https://www.guildwars2.com/de/news/mike-obrien-on-microtransactions-in-guild-wars-2/

And

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15523/a-message-about-the-mount-adoption-license

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> 1600 gems is $20USD That's less than going to a movie. Sorry if you can't afford it, but the cost is quite reasonable especially for a F2P game.

Yeah, New Zealander here, that's around $35 for me including tax. More than the price of.a movie. I gladly pay that price but I'm a bit annoyed you're assuming OP is American. Heck depending on the tax rate it could even push up to $40. So I always assume I need double the amount of money anyone in the US uses. I might keep a few dollars change if price conversion and tax rates are good.

> @"Katelynn.6593" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > 1600 gems is $20USD That's less than going to a movie. Sorry if you can't afford it, but the cost is quite reasonable especially for a F2P game.

>

> Yeah, New Zealander here, that's around $35 for me including tax. More than the price of.a movie. I gladly pay that price but I'm a bit annoyed you're assuming OP is American. Heck depending on the tax rate it could even push up to $40. So I always assume I need double the amount of money anyone in the US uses. I might keep a few dollars change if price conversion and tax rates are good.

Yeah, here in the Philippines we have 12% tax (the ridiculous "value" added tax). But even ignoring the tax... $20 is p1,000, or 3 days pay for most people, or the monthly cost for internet, or the cost of 4 movies all with popcorn & coke. So yeah, too darn high for some useless pixels. At $5 I would be likely to buy a couple. At $20 - never.

> @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> > @"Katelynn.6593" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > 1600 gems is $20USD That's less than going to a movie. Sorry if you can't afford it, but the cost is quite reasonable especially for a F2P game.

> >

> > Yeah, New Zealander here, that's around $35 for me including tax. More than the price of.a movie. I gladly pay that price but I'm a bit annoyed you're assuming OP is American. Heck depending on the tax rate it could even push up to $40. So I always assume I need double the amount of money anyone in the US uses. I might keep a few dollars change if price conversion and tax rates are good.

>

> Yeah, here in the Philippines we have 12% tax (the ridiculous "value" added tax). But even ignoring the tax... $20 is p1,000, or 3 days pay for most people, or the monthly cost for internet, or the cost of 4 movies all with popcorn & coke. So yeah, too darn high for some useless pixels. At $5 I would be likely to buy a couple. At $20 - never.

Exactly.

> @"XYLO.7031" said:

> I bought the Pegasus with no regrets. I don't have any blc skins because I don't like gambling. I don't know if any are what I'm looking for.

The lion for me, it's gorgeous! The art is fantastic and I consider that I am buying art. The pegasus, didn't like that. There is something wrong with the horse face. It looks weird.

> @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> > @"Katelynn.6593" said:

> >

> > Yeah, New Zealander here, that's around $35 for me including tax. More than the price of.a movie. I gladly pay that price but I'm a bit annoyed you're assuming OP is American. Heck depending on the tax rate it could even push up to $40. So I always assume I need double the amount of money anyone in the US uses. I might keep a few dollars change if price conversion and tax rates are good.

>

> Yeah, here in the Philippines we have 12% tax (the ridiculous "value" added tax). But even ignoring the tax... $20 is p1,000, or 3 days pay for most people, or the monthly cost for internet, or the cost of 4 movies all with popcorn & coke. So yeah, too darn high for some useless pixels. At $5 I would be likely to buy a couple. At $20 - never.

This is an unfortunate side effect of a global market. Gem sales fuel game development, which keeps ANet afloat. Their costs are governed by where they are, in the United States.

It's natural to want to pay less. That's human nature. It's also natural to assume that a company charging those prices is being greedy. However, staying afloat for a wholly-owned subsidiary means contributing to the profit margin of the parent company, so ANet needs to turn a profit. It may not be greed, it may be making "enough" profit to stave off the NCSoft ax.

Then, there's comparison shopping. I looked at another game's shop over the weekend. A new hair style costs $5. That seems in line with the price for a makeover kit, but is a bit more than a self-style hair kit. A new outfit costs $20, and can only be equipped on that character. In GW2, outfits cost less than $10 and can be used on any character on my account.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer skins cost less and seldom buy gems as a result. I make barely enough gold to buy some gems from time to time, since I mostly play WvW. I've had to face the idea that I am not the target market for a lot of the gem store attractions. It's unfortunate that exchange rates mean that gem purchases take a larger part of your discretionary income.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> > > @"Katelynn.6593" said:

> > >

> > > Yeah, New Zealander here, that's around $35 for me including tax. More than the price of.a movie. I gladly pay that price but I'm a bit annoyed you're assuming OP is American. Heck depending on the tax rate it could even push up to $40. So I always assume I need double the amount of money anyone in the US uses. I might keep a few dollars change if price conversion and tax rates are good.

> >

> > Yeah, here in the Philippines we have 12% tax (the ridiculous "value" added tax). But even ignoring the tax... $20 is p1,000, or 3 days pay for most people, or the monthly cost for internet, or the cost of 4 movies all with popcorn & coke. So yeah, too darn high for some useless pixels. At $5 I would be likely to buy a couple. At $20 - never.

>

> This is an unfortunate side effect of a global market. Gem sales fuel game development, which keeps ANet afloat. Their costs are governed by where they are, in the United States.

>

> It's natural to want to pay less. That's human nature. It's also natural to assume that a company charging those prices is being greedy. However, staying afloat for a wholly-owned subsidiary means contributing to the profit margin of the parent company, so ANet needs to turn a profit. It may not be greed, it may be making "enough" profit to stave off the NCSoft ax.

>

> Then, there's comparison shopping. I looked a game's shop over the weekend. A new hair style costs $5. That seems in line with the price for a makeover kit, but is a bit more than a self-style hair kit. A new outfit costs $20, and can only be equipped on that character. In GW2, outfits cost less than $10 and can be used on any character on my account.

>

> Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer skins cost less and seldom buy gems as a result. I make barely enough gold to buy some gems from time to time, since I mostly play WvW. I've had to face the idea that I am not the target market for a lot of the gem store attractions. It's unfortunate that exchange rates mean that gem purchases take a larger part of your discretionary income.

I guess it depends on what game you compare it to. in ESO, all hairstyles, outfits and mounts are account shared, and i've bought a few. Also you can buy a permanent hair/facial features/facial hair kit, that is not expensive and you can use it anytime on any character for free. (cant change hair color though)

I'm comparing ESO because it's one of the closest ones to GW2 in how it works. base game is free, ad you pay for expacs.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> > > @"Katelynn.6593" said:

> > >

> > > Yeah, New Zealander here, that's around $35 for me including tax. More than the price of.a movie. I gladly pay that price but I'm a bit annoyed you're assuming OP is American. Heck depending on the tax rate it could even push up to $40. So I always assume I need double the amount of money anyone in the US uses. I might keep a few dollars change if price conversion and tax rates are good.

> >

> > Yeah, here in the Philippines we have 12% tax (the ridiculous "value" added tax). But even ignoring the tax... $20 is p1,000, or 3 days pay for most people, or the monthly cost for internet, or the cost of 4 movies all with popcorn & coke. So yeah, too darn high for some useless pixels. At $5 I would be likely to buy a couple. At $20 - never.

>

> This is an unfortunate side effect of a global market. Gem sales fuel game development, which keeps ANet afloat. Their costs are governed by where they are, in the United States.

>

> It's natural to want to pay less. That's human nature. It's also natural to assume that a company charging those prices is being greedy. However, staying afloat for a wholly-owned subsidiary means contributing to the profit margin of the parent company, so ANet needs to turn a profit. It may not be greed, it may be making "enough" profit to stave off the NCSoft ax.

>

> Then, there's comparison shopping. I looked at another game's shop over the weekend. A new hair style costs $5. That seems in line with the price for a makeover kit, but is a bit more than a self-style hair kit. A new outfit costs $20, and can only be equipped on that character. In GW2, outfits cost less than $10 and can be used on any character on my account.

>

> Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer skins cost less and seldom buy gems as a result. I make barely enough gold to buy some gems from time to time, since I mostly play WvW. I've had to face the idea that I am not the target market for a lot of the gem store attractions. It's unfortunate that exchange rates mean that gem purchases take a larger part of your discretionary income.

Thanks for your understanding.

> @"Tere.4759" said:

> > @"XYLO.7031" said:

> > I bought the Pegasus with no regrets. I don't have any blc skins because I don't like gambling. I don't know if any are what I'm looking for.

>

> The lion for me, it's gorgeous! The art is fantastic and I consider that I am buying art. The pegasus, didn't like that. There is something wrong with the horse face. It looks weird.

I have the lion too. :+1:

Everything is expensive in this game, not just mount skins, GW2 is one of the most expensive mmo's i've ever played as an Australian, i play multiple mmorpgs and guildwars 2 tops nearly all of them in cosmetic prices, when i started SWTOR after gw2 i was so shocked on how much cheaper it was in its cash shop, Fallout 76 was cheaper even with a sub, ESO is very expensive as well similar to GW2 but still not as expensive.

Yes i had subscriptions in ESO, Fallout 76 and SWTOR and it was still cheaper in the long run to buy cosmetics than here.

People will still crazily buy them though.

> @"Dante.1508" said:

> Everything is expensive in this game, not just mount skins, GW2 is one of the most expensive mmo's i've ever played as an Australian, i play multiple mmorpgs and guildwars 2 tops nearly all of them in cosmetic prices, when i started SWTOR after gw2 i was so shocked on how much cheaper it was in its cash shop, Fallout 76 was cheaper even with a sub, ESO is very expensive as well similar to GW2 but still not as expensive.

>

> Yes i had subscriptions in ESO, Fallout 76 and SWTOR and it was still cheaper in the long run to buy cosmetics than here.

>

> People will still crazily buy them though.

[You claimed at one point to be spending over 200au per week on this game.](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1116074/#Comment_1116074)

The problem isn't the cash shop prices.

The problem is your self control.

I used to think they were too expensive but honestly $25-30 is just a sub fee for one month in another game. At least in this game the things you buy are permanent, and can last you years on the same initial investment.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> Blows my mind when some people say it's right to have the price of 1 mount be the same that for a full AAA game.

In the US at least AAA games cost about $70, for that you can buy GW2 with both expos, and a mount skin.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> I have 2 issues with mount skins in this game.

> First, there's no way to earn any by playing the game, it's not a reward for anything. Unless of course you earn gold in game and then change to gems and then but it. But it lacks the feeling of reward you'd get by getting a new skin in-game, not to mention if it would be done like the sky scale or griffon there's an actual story quest with it too, the gem store lacks that too.

> My second complaint is that it's way too expensive. 1200 gems for most skins is too much. 700 gems is the price of most costumes, and it should be the same for mount skins too.

> I'm not against some special skins being luxury items and more expensive, many games have that, but the general price for them should be much closer too 700 gems imo.

"There is no way to earn any by playing the game.....except all of them by playing the game."

Oddly inconsistent there.