aaron.7850

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> People are never satisfied, are they?

>

> I think it's underwater speed is fine. And it keeps open the possibility of a separate mount that is faster underwater with some cool underwater ability (like a surge forward) that doesn't have the convenience of easily transferring to the surface or onto land.

That's a possibility.

But I would prefer they just improved the skimmer, so I wouldn't "have" to change mount everytime I dived under water.

> @"choon.6308" said:

> > @"Friday.7864" said:

> > Underwater movement still feels slow and dull to me.

> > It's not what I expected, not even close. A disappointment really.

> > On land mounts make a huge difference so it's no wonder people feel like it's underperforming.

> >

>

> Exactly. It's not a huge "25% faster boost" like so many claim, not even close.

You are correct that it is not 25% faster since It is **at least** 35% faster

Base unmounted swim speed: 294

Maximum unmounted swim speed: 400

Skimmer underwater speed: 540

skimmer vs base speed: 540 / 294 = 1.8367 or ~+84%

skimmer vs maximum speed: 540 / 400 = 1.35 or +35%

Edit: Actually underwater skimmer speed is 550 same as on land. This is what I get for trusting the wiki too much. :/

That makes the skimmer +87% to +37.5% faster

> @"kratan.4619" said:

> Players begged for underwater mounts, Anet gave them an underwater mount, but wait, it is still not enough.

It's more like players asked for a laptop for their birthday and their parents gave them a brick loaded with Microsoft Windows 3.1 - still technically a laptop, but not as fast or efficient as hoped for.

There are probably some people who are thrilled with the Skimmer's new ability, but I can understand why others are just like 'ah' after obtaining it. I find it a bit clunky and it does odd things to the camera (particularly during the Skimmer adventure in LA), but I can appreciate that they at least tried to meet a QoL feature request.

Its just an illusion caused by how the mind works.

When you're in a car, it seems like you're travelling really slowly until you look at your surroundings, especially the road itself, which is moving very fast. This is why Skimmer seems faster on the surface than underwater; seeing the water moving underneath you makes it feel fast, but underwater there's very little to see or use as a point of reference.

This is by design (you know, evolution or w/e) as it helps keep you from getting motion sickness.

You can test this yourself by playing with your camera settings. Different settings will make you feel faster, but might also make you feel motion sick, which is part of why the defaults are rather conservative on view distance, etc.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> This is why Skimmer seems faster on the surface than underwater; seeing the water moving underneath you makes it feel fast, but underwater there's very little to see or use as a point of reference.

It doesn't just seem faster. It *is* faster.

850 on water

550 under water

It is ~55% faster on top of the water. The skimmer got that speed boost some time after PoF's launch.

> @"Croc.1978" said:

> No, it's 68% faster than unmounted swim speed.

>

> You get a mount that works underwater, significantly increasing your speed.

>

> You can now stealth for a whopping 8 seconds UW, this is more than enough to escape any combat you don't want to participate in.

>

> You can now dodge everything for half an eternity UW (using Skimmer hover, increased by using Bond of Vigor).

>

> And you still complain? I seriously don't get it ...

There will always be people who are never satisfied. Unfortunately its always the ones that are unsatisfied that make the loudest noise. UW skimmer is great.

> @"aaron.7850" said:

> Imagine being a kid opening your Christmas present only to be white socks.

>

> Yeah, it felt just like that when I first dived underwater after all those hours of scavenging hunt and bugged events.

I agree. I wish the swim infusion bonus would add to the speed, if they don't intend to increase its normal underwater speed. It's still faster than an infusion, but not _that_ much that it's clearly noticeable.

I haven't gotten the underwater unlocked yet, but I was expecting it to be quick. Since there is not a ton of underwater content in the game, it seems like the main use of this mastery is to cross large distances like you need to in order to get out to places in the sea around Orr.

> @"Gibson.4036" said:

> I haven't gotten the underwater unlocked yet, but I was expecting it to be quick. Since there is not a ton of underwater content in the game, it seems like the main use of this mastery is to cross large distances like you need to in order to get out to places in the sea around Orr.

There is a lot of underwater content.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> People are never satisfied, are they?

>

> I think it's underwater speed is fine. And it keeps open the possibility of a separate mount that is faster underwater with some cool underwater ability (like a surge forward) that doesn't have the convenience of easily transferring to the surface or onto land.

This is what I fear is the case, another pointless mount boost masquerading as content.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> > @"Gibson.4036" said:

> > I haven't gotten the underwater unlocked yet, but I was expecting it to be quick. Since there is not a ton of underwater content in the game, it seems like the main use of this mastery is to cross large distances like you need to in order to get out to places in the sea around Orr.

>

> There is a lot of underwater content.

Maybe I should have said not a lot of extensive underwater content. All the underwater I've experienced has been relatively small in scope. I wouldn't need a mount to navigate them because they're typically clostrophobic and packed with enemies. Which is why I see using an underwater mount largely to get from one bit of underwater content to another.

Hope that clarifies.

> @"FrostSpectre.4198" said:

> Or replace the current special action to "emerge towards surface" with a "surge" move similar to Raptor, one can always aim up if they want to get out of water.

Please not this. The fact that there are distinct keys to move in the z axis separate from where the camera is pointing makes managing this mount in a 3D medium more akin to the Skyscale (ie, easy to use) than underwater combat, which is far less pleasant to manage because you need to use the camera to partly control swimming direction.

I love the idea of having a surge move, but it should be in addition to being able to distinctly move up and down as well.

"Every other game has mounts we need mounts. Giv mount nao plox?!?!" - Alright, we'll be introducing mounts with PoF.

"Underwater content is tedious, can we get a means to circumvent it?" - Ok, lads, have a skimmer.

"The Skimmer is fine but WE NEED an underwater mount." - Sure thing, we'll make the skimmer go under water.

"The Skimmer underwater isn't as fast as I want it to be. Can it go faster?" - ...

People will never be satisfied and whatever company sets out to satisfy people is setting itself up for failure.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> "Every other game has mounts we need mounts. Giv mount nao plox?!?!" - Alright, we'll be introducing mounts with PoF.

> "Underwater content is tedious, can we get a means to circumvent it?" - Ok, lads, have a skimmer.

> "The Skimmer is fine but WE NEED an underwater mount." - Sure thing, we'll make the skimmer go under water.

> "The Skimmer underwater isn't as fast as I want it to be. Can it go faster?" - ...

>

> People will never be satisfied and whatever company sets out to satisfy people is setting itself up for failure.

Or maybe, and this will be mindblowing for some few, there are people that want the whole hot dog. The bun, the condiments, the little foil wrapper it comes in and, of course, the hot dog.

So you give them just the hot dog. No foil, no bun, no condiments. And they want more. How unappreciative!

So you give them the condiments. Still no bun or wrapper. And they STILL want more! The insanity! Who do these people think they are?!

So you give them the wrapper. What more could they possibly want?! They're STILL asking for a BUN! But you already gave them condiments and the foil and the hot dog itself!

Nobody can know what should happen in such situations. They're very mysterious. If we had the power to foresee, let alone avoid, problems like that, well, it just doesn't bear imagining then, does it?

> @"Kalythsu.8350" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Kalythsu.8350" said:

> > > if you want to gain speed underwater

> > >

> > > see that

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > You're welcome :*

> >

> > It’d have to be tested. My initial guess is the animation for mounting negates any incentives to doing this.

>

> tested and approved^^

So what was the speed?