What is the standard Shadow Arts build for WvW?

Telgum.6071

There are many differences but it depends mostly on what 3rd spec you would use instead of DareDevil or DeadEye. You know that core thief has 1200 range steal while DD's is 600 but iit's unblockable. DeadEye's mark (replaces Steal) is 1500 range, instantly refreshes if your target is killed but doesn't shadow step you to your target (so this is better for ranged playstyle). You may also want to take a look at DeadEye. It's not too bad. Compared to DD, DE doesn't offer as much mobility but much easier access to stealth (dodge while holding a rifle or from using your stolen skill at 5+ Malice stacks which you can have 2 times with Improvisation in Deadly Arts) and crazy burst in the right conditions (maxed Malice stacks on a pistol, dagger or rifle stealth attack is disgustingly satisfying to land and your target will feel it). DD offers increased utility or damage with your dodges, more dodges and good damage reduction (under the right conditions, you can reach 30% damage reduction from traits alone) or you can instead take one of the 2 other choices and make it so your dodge deals either condi or power damage + 15% increased damage for 4 sec which is great for burst damage.

For weapons, it's really just about your own playstyle. Lots of people like having the shortbow as their secondary weapon set because it gives them a lot of mobility by spamming the bow's 5th ability. The bow's other abilities are quite useless unless you are condi build. If you're a DE, you may want to use a rifle for a power/precision build or P/D for a condi build as primary weapon sets. For DD, I personally really enjoy the staff as my secondary weapon but it's not everybody's cup of tea. It's great for cleaving while outputting a lot of vulnerability and evading with your 3rd and 5th abilities. In short, you should try them all and see which fits your playstyle and satisfies you.

> @"Telgum.6071" said:

> I've seen a lot of combos, D/D, S/D, D/P with both core and daredevil...

>

> I know I don't want D/D so I want to know, what are the differences between core and daredevil outside the longer steal?

Daredevil has more sustain, whilst core usually has a tad more damage. But in the scissors/paper/rock balance that is this game it depends on the match up.

For thief V thief you want this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAgqVlNwEZbsLGJe2WntUA-zVZYBRH2LJYEDrMyMo6NQt9AES32ZpKzI-w

Basically it will beat all other thief builds 1v1 if skill gap isn't a factor. Any thief that builds for evades stands no chance against this. They have no choice but to burn evades hoping to dodge your backstab that has absolutely no tell, while you just sit in stealth and wait for the moment to burst. Rifle DE can last a bit longer but will eventually succumb due to your mobility/gap closes and because they will run out of stealth/dodges far before you run out stealth and dodges. Condi thief relies on bursting condi's which they can usually do every 26 seconds. Given your signet is on a 30 second cool down and your heal on 25 seconds that gives them a 4 seconds window, and that's assuming your shadow step is down and they perfectly land the steal exactly as it comes off cool down, none of which is remotely likely.

But that's against other thieves. Against a scourge for instance you're better off running a rifle DE. Just kite the scourge and build malice before bursting and you'll win every time. But against a dragon hunter your rifle DE doesn't stand a chance. You're better off running a sword daredevil build with as many evades as possible.

That's how this game works.

Scissors, paper, rock.

You'll see a lot of elitism particularly on this thief forum. Evade thieves (scissors) will complain to no end about SA D/P (rock), some of the points being valid, but more often than not they negate the fact that they could re-roll a dragon hunter (paper) and annihilate the same D/P build with ease. Whilst that D/P thief can then re roll to the exact build that their opponent swapped out of (scissors) and stand a much better chance.

But in my opinion? When it really comes down to it the difference between core and daredevil is that daredevil is better. More mobility/more sustain/more stealth/more damage mitigation etc all depending on the traits you pick.

Edit: Placed the sword instead of the dagger in the build accidentally, corrected now.

> @"Telgum.6071" said:

>

> I know I don't want D/D so I want to know, what are the differences between core and daredevil outside the longer steal?

Depends on what sort of weapons yu wanna use and what sort of playstyle yu want.

Swipe may be 600 range, but it is ALSO unblockable, making yur traited Steal essentially be an unblockable daze, boon rip, and all that goodness all in one.

This sort of favours melee to midranged gameplay though, and as such, Daggers, Pistols, Sword builds all stand to benefit from DD.

Yu also have 3 dodges, which can be traited into the extremely busted Dash for getting away.

But if yu play this sort of build, yu basically lack any sort of "surprise" engages over the enemy, and if someone is able to get out of yur reach, they are basically gone.

(this is why DD builds favour D/P for Power because of D/P 3's gapcloser at 900 range)

Not only that, but DD has an insane amount of Weakness uptime, making them able to go toe to toe with Power builds fairly well.

> @"Doug.4930" said:

> > @"Telgum.6071" said:

> > I've seen a lot of combos, D/D, S/D, D/P with both core and daredevil...

> >

> > I know I don't want D/D so I want to know, what are the differences between core and daredevil outside the longer steal?

>

> Daredevil has more sustain, whilst core usually has a tad more damage. But in the scissors/paper/rock balance that is this game it depends on the match up.

>

> For thief V thief you want this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAgqVlNwEZbsLGJe2WntUA-zVZYBRH2LJYEDrMyMo6NQt9AES32ZpKzI-w

>

> Basically it will beat all other thief builds 1v1 if skill gap isn't a factor. Any thief that builds for evades stands no chance against this. They have no choice but to burn evades hoping to dodge your backstab that has absolutely no tell, while you just sit in stealth and wait for the moment to burst. Rifle DE can last a bit longer but will eventually succumb due to your mobility/gap closes and because they will run out of stealth/dodges far before you run out stealth and dodges. Condi thief relies on bursting condi's which they can usually do every 26 seconds. Given your signet is on a 30 second cool down and your heal on 25 seconds that gives them a 4 seconds window, and that's assuming your shadow step is down and they perfectly land the steal exactly as it comes off cool down, none of which is remotely likely.

>

> But that's against other thieves. Against a scourge for instance you're better off running a rifle DE. Just kite the scourge and build malice before bursting and you'll win every time. But against a dragon hunter your rifle DE doesn't stand a chance. You're better off running a sword daredevil build with as many evades as possible.

>

> That's how this game works.

> Scissors, paper, rock.

> You'll see a lot of elitism particularly on this thief forum. Evade thieves (scissors) will complain to no end about SA D/P (rock), some of the points being valid, but more often than not they negate the fact that they could re-roll a dragon hunter (paper) and annihilate the same D/P build with ease. Whilst that D/P thief can then re roll to the exact build that their opponent swapped out of (scissors) and stand a much better chance.

>

> But in my opinion? When it really comes down to it the difference between core and daredevil is that daredevil is better. More mobility/more sustain/more stealth/more damage mitigation etc all depending on the traits you pick.

>

> Edit: Placed the sword instead of the dagger in the build accidentally, corrected now.

That seems good, what do you think about durability runes instead scholar? I guess the sigils are the standards air, energy, bloodlust...

> @"Telgum.6071" said:

> > @"Doug.4930" said:

> > > @"Telgum.6071" said:

> > > I've seen a lot of combos, D/D, S/D, D/P with both core and daredevil...

> > >

> > > I know I don't want D/D so I want to know, what are the differences between core and daredevil outside the longer steal?

> >

> > Daredevil has more sustain, whilst core usually has a tad more damage. But in the scissors/paper/rock balance that is this game it depends on the match up.

> >

> > For thief V thief you want this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAgqVlNwEZbsLGJe2WntUA-zVZYBRH2LJYEDrMyMo6NQt9AES32ZpKzI-w

> >

> > Basically it will beat all other thief builds 1v1 if skill gap isn't a factor. Any thief that builds for evades stands no chance against this. They have no choice but to burn evades hoping to dodge your backstab that has absolutely no tell, while you just sit in stealth and wait for the moment to burst. Rifle DE can last a bit longer but will eventually succumb due to your mobility/gap closes and because they will run out of stealth/dodges far before you run out stealth and dodges. Condi thief relies on bursting condi's which they can usually do every 26 seconds. Given your signet is on a 30 second cool down and your heal on 25 seconds that gives them a 4 seconds window, and that's assuming your shadow step is down and they perfectly land the steal exactly as it comes off cool down, none of which is remotely likely.

> >

> > But that's against other thieves. Against a scourge for instance you're better off running a rifle DE. Just kite the scourge and build malice before bursting and you'll win every time. But against a dragon hunter your rifle DE doesn't stand a chance. You're better off running a sword daredevil build with as many evades as possible.

> >

> > That's how this game works.

> > Scissors, paper, rock.

> > You'll see a lot of elitism particularly on this thief forum. Evade thieves (scissors) will complain to no end about SA D/P (rock), some of the points being valid, but more often than not they negate the fact that they could re-roll a dragon hunter (paper) and annihilate the same D/P build with ease. Whilst that D/P thief can then re roll to the exact build that their opponent swapped out of (scissors) and stand a much better chance.

> >

> > But in my opinion? When it really comes down to it the difference between core and daredevil is that daredevil is better. More mobility/more sustain/more stealth/more damage mitigation etc all depending on the traits you pick.

> >

> > Edit: Placed the sword instead of the dagger in the build accidentally, corrected now.

>

> That seems good, what do you think about durability runes instead scholar? I guess the sigils are the standards air, energy, bloodlust...

Scholar for the more experienced. Durability if you're new. Durability runes are probably the best sustain runes in the game. The more tanky your build the more forgiving it becomes. Whilst scholar is better for damage.

Choice is yours.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Telgum.6071" said:

>

(NOT SA but very good)

Tbh I personally find Vallun's build to be amazing for roaming in WvW which can be found here:

Marauder armor and trinkets with Infiltration runes

Berserker Dagger/Pistol with Air/Celerity Sigil Marauder Shortbow with Energy/Cleansing

[&DQUsJxwmByqUEgwBWABYATQBVwFXATMBnwEOAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

With the supporting video about it here:

> @"Anomaly.7612" said:

> > @"Telgum.6071" said:

> > I've seen a lot of combos, D/D, S/D, D/P with both core and daredevil...

> >

> > I know I don't want D/D so I want to know, what are the differences between core and daredevil outside the longer steal?

>

> Tbh I personally find Vallun's build to be amazing for roaming in WvW which can be found here:

> Marauder armor and trinkets with Infiltration runes

> Berserker Dagger/Pistol with Air/Celerity Sigil Marauder Shortbow with Energy/Cleansing

> [&DQUsJxwmByqUEgwBWABYATQBVwFXATMBnwEOAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

>

> With the supporting video about it here:

>

That's not a Shadow Arts build.

> @"kash.9213" said:

> > @"Anomaly.7612" said:

> > > @"Telgum.6071" said:

> > > I've seen a lot of combos, D/D, S/D, D/P with both core and daredevil...

> > >

> > > I know I don't want D/D so I want to know, what are the differences between core and daredevil outside the longer steal?

> >

> > Tbh I personally find Vallun's build to be amazing for roaming in WvW which can be found here:

> > Marauder armor and trinkets with Infiltration runes

> > Berserker Dagger/Pistol with Air/Celerity Sigil Marauder Shortbow with Energy/Cleansing

> > [&DQUsJxwmByqUEgwBWABYATQBVwFXATMBnwEOAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

> >

> > With the supporting video about it here:

> >

>

> That's not a Shadow Arts build.

No it's not but I'd wager it's one of the best roaming D/P builds. SA is good too though.