Anyone Else Feel Necro Will Get Shields For The New Spec??

MatyrGustav.6210

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really hopefully for a dual-swords condi (minion?!?) spec.

We got the power spec (reaper) that has potential for one "ok" condi build.

We got what was supposed to be a condi spec, but people complained and it got stuck in this bastard limbo between "condi" and "support" (scourge)

A spec that is devoted to condis (with a minor possibility of power - similar to how Reaper is power is a minor possibility of condi) would be an ideal next step

As much of a fantasy that fan-proposed specs are, I found myself gravitating towards desiring https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/101478/elite-specialization-diabolist#latest

Honestly, anything close to that (condi focused, maybe condi/minion focused) would be super fun in my opinion.

Dual-swords would be neat IMO - we already got a main-hand (greatsword) and an offhand (torch), but not both yet.

> @"jpsssss.7530" said:

> I honestly hope it gets a condi focused spec with hammer

The necromancer e-specs tend to have a focus on condi (Reaper: chill / Scourge: torment, cripple) and ANet like it's weapons "slow". So I guess it could very well get what you hope it get. Personally, I'd bet on a focus on a condition that's supposed to reduce incoming damage (probably _slow_ since the core necromancer feel already loaded enough on weakness). I can very well imagine a necromancer's hammer applying slow (There is a high probability that PvP players won't like facing this condition, like they do/did for chrono, but, let's face it, whatever the necromancer get, PvP players won't like to face it).

> @"jpsssss.7530" said:

> I want a condi focused elite spec for necro thats not peepee poopoo. Bonus points if they give us new weapons altogether.

Why not a single target range focused necro elite spec? The others aren't really ranged

Truth be told i just hope it has nothing to do with having aoes and not focused on shroud so we can have a single target spec thats viable for raid targets who do better with single target.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> > @"jpsssss.7530" said:

> > I want a condi focused elite spec for necro thats not peepee poopoo. Bonus points if they give us new weapons altogether.

>

> Why not a single target range focused necro elite spec? The others aren't really ranged

Because melee/melee ISH ( think else dagger ) makes the most sense I feel. Almost everything about necro bar reaper and a handful of other things are medium to long range already.

Necro also has one core melee weapon and only has one true condi weapon in sceptre.

Would be really surprised it it wasn't a sword or mace melee spec.

I also expect it to be shroudless

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > @"Axl.8924" said:

> > Why not a single target range focused necro elite spec? The others aren't really ranged

>

> Because melee/melee ISH ( think else dagger ) makes the most sense I feel. Almost everything about necro bar reaper and a handful of other things are medium to long range already.

>

> Necro also has one core melee weapon and only has one true condi weapon in sceptre.

>

> Would be really surprised it it wasn't a sword or mace melee spec.

>

> I also expect it to be shroudless

Well, we will know in a bit more than half a year. I think that the aggressive melee playstyle is solidly covered by reaper thought, I wouldn't bet against a ranged weapon. It will mostly depend on the thematic and the mechanism of the e-spec. For all we know, we could end up with:

- A "bone trapper" thematic with bone traps, a longbow shooting bone arrows and a ghost hound as a main mechanism (just so that we can abuse _runes of trapper_ and get our load of hate about "unkillable invisible necro cancer that move like they got a speed hack").

- A "Spiteful shaman" thematic with focus on retaliation and/or confusion, wielding a hammer and summoning bone turrets/totems (trying to have our foes killing themself, the kind of gameplay that nobody want to encounter in game).

- A "parasit host" thematic with focus on self inflicted conditions and an image close to that of an insect leading to axe Off-hand, venoms and some insect spawn. (Thiefs would probably kiss necromancer's feets if it lead to a runeset that give a bonus when using venoms)

- A "dark mage" thematic with a focus on dark aura, using sword (because it feel like a good weapon to get a leap finisher) and some glyphs.

- ... etc.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> Thats the reason though, what dadnir said: Reaper is already covering melee type and scourge covers aoe.

I didn't say scourge cover aoe. Technically both repaer and scourge can be said to cover aoe, reaper at melee range and scourge at long range. I wouldn't bet against another e-spec heavy on aoe, the devs seem to like this design on the necromancer and there are still some "traditional" kind of aoe that the necromancer have yet to get (like the "impact" type that is mainly found on elementalist).

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"Axl.8924" said:

> > Thats the reason though, what dadnir said: Reaper is already covering melee type and scourge covers aoe.

>

> I didn't say scourge cover aoe. Technically both repaer and scourge can be said to cover aoe, reaper at melee range and scourge at long range. I wouldn't bet against another e-spec heavy on aoe, the devs seem to like this design on the necromancer and there are still some "traditional" kind of aoe that the necromancer have yet to get (like the "impact" type that is mainly found on elementalist).

I disagree mostly because i fear it will be like scourge get nerfed into the ground.

I'd prefer not to have a spec focused on AOES since we got plenty of aoes, since aoes=complaints in spvp and pve and complaints=Nerfs into the ground.

Better to let core do aoes, since it seems anet is incapable of balancing shades problem. No shades no complaints of huge aoes covering a entire point and no complaints about massive aoes since staff has both cast times and cd and more in control also less shades. Besides:Reaper can do aoes too and has melee range aoes with GS and we got shouts too.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> Thats the reason though, what dadnir said: Reaper is already covering melee type and scourge covers aoe.

The same way hammer was already covering melee for the engi elite specs so there was no need for sword?

Just because its another melee weapon doesn't mean there isn't a design space for it.

> @"Helicity.3416" said:

> How about a vampiric melee espec which _changes_ all the dagger skills when equipped?

It depends. I would love to see use for dagger. What would be primary job of this vampiric melee spec? would it be a healer? tank dps? even if we got a melee dps can be interesting if it has something that fits lore and is really fun too, such as a vampire necro spec that has stealth and does necro moves, but is that lore friendly?

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> > @"Helicity.3416" said:

> > How about a vampiric melee espec which _changes_ all the dagger skills when equipped?

>

> It depends. I would love to see use for dagger. What would be primary job of this vampiric melee spec? would it be a healer? tank dps? even if we got a melee dps can be interesting if it has something that fits lore and is really fun too, such as a vampire necro spec that has stealth and does necro moves, but is that lore friendly?

All I know is had a lot of fun playing lifeleech tank in Gw2, necro had a lot of cool skills to facilitate that

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> I wouldn't know about engineer never played the class but Necro i'm more familiar with, and reaper already does great for melee power, unless you plan to make a melee condi spec.

I thought that much was obvious with the necro has one true condi weapon and only one core melee weapon.

Necro literally has a single strong condi weapon in sceptre. Another main hand weapon that doesn't overlap with it would be good. It's why I say mace or sword.

As for no shroud. The reason I say it is it's a little easier to justify stuff that's strong / impactful when you don't have a massive health shield to worry about along sit it. Also , for me at least, using it as a resource for things like how scourge does is more interesting.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> Necro literally has a single strong condi weapon in sceptre. Another main hand weapon that doesn't overlap with it would be good. It's why I say mace or sword.

The scepter is overwhelming other necromancer's condi weapon mainly due to it's OP trait. Staff could compete against scepter if it had a trait half as strong as _lingering curse_. Even just removing the "scepter only" restriction on the extra condition damage of the _lingering curse_ trait would go a long way to make staff more competitive against scepter. Make _mark of blood_ apply 4 bleed instead of 2 in PvE only and the staff become automatically part of the condi necromancer's rotation. I mean, the staff really isn't far behind the untraited scepter.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > Necro literally has a single strong condi weapon in sceptre. Another main hand weapon that doesn't overlap with it would be good. It's why I say mace or sword.

>

> The scepter is overwhelming other necromancer's condi weapon mainly due to it's OP trait. Staff could compete against scepter if it had a trait half as strong as _lingering curse_. Even just removing the "scepter only" restriction on the extra condition damage of the _lingering curse_ trait would go a long way to make staff more competitive against scepter. Make _mark of blood_ apply 4 bleed instead of 2 in PvE only and the staff become automatically part of the condi necromancer's rotation. I mean, the staff really isn't far behind the untraited scepter.

I dunno isn-t the dmg kinda underwhelming on staff due to amount of conditions on it and the cd it has? they might end up needing to touch staff to make it less delayed for pve, since its considered a support weapon and all.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > The scepter is overwhelming other necromancer's condi weapon mainly due to it's OP trait. Staff could compete against scepter if it had a trait half as strong as _lingering curse_. Even just removing the "scepter only" restriction on the extra condition damage of the _lingering curse_ trait would go a long way to make staff more competitive against scepter. Make _mark of blood_ apply 4 bleed instead of 2 in PvE only and the staff become automatically part of the condi necromancer's rotation. I mean, the staff really isn't far behind the untraited scepter.

>

> I dunno isn-t the dmg kinda underwhelming on staff due to amount of conditions on it and the cd it has? they might end up needing to touch staff to make it less delayed for pve, since its considered a support weapon and all.

You know, you just have to put your marks under your foes' feet and it's basically instant. Why talk about delay? You got an aoe that put 2 bleed every 4 seconds for 8s (16s at 100% bleed duration), 2 poison (8s) on a 16s CD and fear. A condi reaper have basically 3 marks applying 8s (16s) bleeds, if it wasn't for OP _lingering curse_, the staff wouldn't need much to enter an healthy rotation. It's just that this trait make scepter so strong that it outshine everything else. In fact the trait is so strong that we are at a point that there is a high probability that we would end up being disapointed by the performance of an elite spec condi weapon compared to scepter.

Let's face it: "+50% scepter condi duration and 200 extra condition damage while wielding a scepter". GW2 devs just can't introduce a weapon with balanced numbers that can compete with a weapon that have such a trait supporting it. _I thought that it was obvious for everyone._

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"Axl.8924" said:

> > > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > The scepter is overwhelming other necromancer's condi weapon mainly due to it's OP trait. Staff could compete against scepter if it had a trait half as strong as _lingering curse_. Even just removing the "scepter only" restriction on the extra condition damage of the _lingering curse_ trait would go a long way to make staff more competitive against scepter. Make _mark of blood_ apply 4 bleed instead of 2 in PvE only and the staff become automatically part of the condi necromancer's rotation. I mean, the staff really isn't far behind the untraited scepter.

> >

> > I dunno isn-t the dmg kinda underwhelming on staff due to amount of conditions on it and the cd it has? they might end up needing to touch staff to make it less delayed for pve, since its considered a support weapon and all.

>

> You know, you just have to put your marks under your foes' feet and it's basically instant. Why talk about delay? You got an aoe that put 2 bleed every 4 seconds for 8s (16s at 100% bleed duration), 2 poison (8s) on a 16s CD and fear. A condi reaper have basically 3 marks applying 8s (16s) bleeds, if it wasn't for OP _lingering curse_, the staff wouldn't need much to enter an healthy rotation. It's just that this trait make scepter so strong that it outshine everything else. In fact the trait is so strong that we are at a point that there is a high probability that we would end up being disapointed by the performance of an elite spec condi weapon compared to scepter.

>

> Let's face it: "+50% scepter condi duration and 200 extra condition damage while wielding a scepter". GW2 devs just can't introduce a weapon with balanced numbers that can compete with a weapon that have such a trait supporting it. _I thought that it was obvious for everyone._

It would help too if we could get multiple charges on staff to compete with scepter and yes having scepter trait on staff would help too, especially since some targets move heavily, thus negating all the benefits of well effect from staff.

I'm also semi worried now. You mentioned scepter trait, well they could end up nerfing scepter trait and leaving everything underwhelming in conditions and say there everything is equal.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > You know, you just have to put your marks under your foes' feet and it's basically instant. Why talk about delay? You got an aoe that put 2 bleed every 4 seconds for 8s (16s at 100% bleed duration), 2 poison (8s) on a 16s CD and fear. A condi reaper have basically 3 marks applying 8s (16s) bleeds, if it wasn't for OP _lingering curse_, the staff wouldn't need much to enter an healthy rotation. It's just that this trait make scepter so strong that it outshine everything else. In fact the trait is so strong that we are at a point that there is a high probability that we would end up being disapointed by the performance of an elite spec condi weapon compared to scepter.

> >

> > Let's face it: "+50% scepter condi duration and 200 extra condition damage while wielding a scepter". GW2 devs just can't introduce a weapon with balanced numbers that can compete with a weapon that have such a trait supporting it. _I thought that it was obvious for everyone._

>

> It would help too if we could get multiple charges on staff to compete with scepter and yes having scepter trait on staff would help too, especially since some targets move heavily, thus negating all the benefits of well effect from staff.

>

> I'm also semi worried now. You mentioned scepter trait, well they could end up nerfing scepter trait and leaving everything underwhelming in conditions and say there everything is equal.

>

They could, that is if necromancer wasn't already near the bottom when it come to condition damage potential. (well that isn't exactly true, however on a single target that don't have boons that can be corrupted into a damaging condition it's true)

NB.: the condi necromancer is difficult to balance, it's theoretical effectiveness is huge yet can't achieve it unless he face the proper foe within the proper environment.

• 2 weeks later...

Main hand sword. Can do a mix of traditional vampire/eastern energy vampire flavor. Death Shroud transforms the player into a winged vampiric form. Heavy emphasis on mobility, which will be new for the necromancer. Have it be really unique and allow the vampire form to fly similar to a sky scale, but at a reduced capacity. This will dramatically shake up combat in a fun way. The primary attack for this kit can be a DMC style Air Raid, where the number 2 will see the necro swoop back in for a dive attack. As for the sword kit, have your number 2 be a traditional lunge type skill that sends you forward in a cloud of bats.

> @"Al Masone.1274" said:

> I keep hoping that necro will get the shield for the next elite spec and be able to be an effective tank.

> The reaper is in theory quite survivable, but it's more of a dps spec than a tank one.

If they get shield, it won't be to be an efficient tank. At most, it'll be an inefficient tank.

Anet seems to have made it clear that Necromancer is a very offensive profession by nature. And I think they should lean into that if that is what they will do best with - dual swords would be really nice for that.

Something with a lot of mobility/leaps, as well as bleed/poison (in a similar vein to how reaper is chill/bleed or how scourge is torment/burning). Maybe even with a lighter (but still present due to core traits/weapons) emphasis on boon conversion, and a new mechanic - perhaps healing reversal/negation/mitigation?

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> People need to worry LESS about the actual weapon we get and more about the theme they come up with for the next espec. I think shields would be a terrible idea simply because the last thing we need is another offhand to pair with our substandard dagger, a reasonable-but-underused Axe and condi-weapon-specific Scepter.

>

> Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for a 2H main.

Yeah. Either 2H weapon or double singlehand like double sword/ double mace/ double pistols