Who is your favorite mentor from personal story?

Mea.5491

Tybalt for me too because you don't see many Charrs that get excited about a promotion like he did almost like he was touched by it. Because he was Charr and he lost his left paw he was shunned by his warband. The order of whispers was his only option. He felt bad that he could not contribute like he wanted to for his old warband though. He loved to joke around, but kept to business too. The other part I liked was that he was not much more experienced than you were, maybe by only a week or two. But the best line in the story was What part of secret society don't you understand.

Forgal was witty in his own way but still a gruff attitude. Very nice but strict at the same time kind of like a drill Sargent.

Seiran was a true sylvari always looking for new things and after they were found got so excited about it she would almost squeal about it. Because Sylvari are the youngest race they pretty much have to be in awe of older races.

Now the deaths for each were similar for Tybalt and Forgal kind of the hero thing in their own way, but seiren was different it was just another fun adventure for her to be had.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Mea.5491 said:

> Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

He has his own backstory with a bit of tragic, and he is believable. The others are either somewhat sterotypic (Sieran) or somewhat flat (Forgal).

In addition, I believe the creator of Tybalt made him a depressive person. A person that has the sickness called depression, and it is admirable how Tybalt deals with his depression and tries to overcome it. This might be not so obvious, but if you know a depressive person in real life, and I mean a real depressive person with that sickness that has lost all joy in life, thinks about suicide and struggles to get even out of bed, than you will find some quite details of this sickness and corresponding behavior in Tybalt. This human touch is not constructed, this feels real.

> @"Silmar Alech.4305" said:

> > @Mea.5491 said:

> > Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

> He has his own backstory with a bit of tragic, and he is believable. The others are either somewhat sterotypic (Sieran) or somewhat flat (Forgal).

>

> In addition, I believe the creator of Tybalt made him a depressive person. A person that has the sickness called depression, and it is admirable how Tybalt deals with his depression and tries to overcome it. This might be not so obvious, but if you know a depressive person in real life, and I mean a real depressive person with that sickness that has lost all joy in life, thinks about suicide and struggles to get even out of bed, than you will find some quite details of this sickness and corresponding behavior in Tybalt. This human touch is not constructed, this feels real.

As someone who lives with depression, this is spot on. One of the many reasons i grew so attached to his character and pretty much all of my toons are or will be Wispers (except 2 for the sake of achievements).

> @"Silmar Alech.4305" said:

> > @Mea.5491 said:

> > Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

> He has his own backstory with a bit of tragic, and he is believable. The others are either somewhat sterotypic (Sieran) or somewhat flat (Forgal).

>

> In addition, I believe the creator of Tybalt made him a depressive person. A person that has the sickness called depression, and it is admirable how Tybalt deals with his depression and tries to overcome it. This might be not so obvious, but if you know a depressive person in real life, and I mean a real depressive person with that sickness that has lost all joy in life, thinks about suicide and struggles to get even out of bed, than you will find some quite details of this sickness and corresponding behavior in Tybalt. This human touch is not constructed, this feels real.

This may be the most offensive thing I've read here. I've dealt with Clinical depression for 20 years and then had a serious disability thrown on top of it. You don't "deal with it", you get professional help. You don't need amateurs diagnosing you. Most of my contemporaries were not even aware of my struggle. This is so typical of that Tumblr narrative team writing approach. It is a serious condition and one that does not need to be a "hook" in a gaming narrative. They need to stop these ill-advised social morality plays that bear no real resemblance to RL struggles or issues and, in fact, usually cheapen or overly simplify the struggles a RL person faces.

Suggesting that this NPC was somehow "admirable" in the context of depression is just wrong. In the depths of my worst times I could manufacture fantasies about how I could "end" myself making some "contribution" to the greater good without exposing to my sons what I had actually done. Suicide "by other means" is still suicide.

I am curious as to how many of the responses here are for the first mentor players experienced. I started with Forgal, and yes he was a hackneyed stereotype (the grizzled veteran on his last mission), but the fact that he was guiding you through something new meant that I felt very connected to him. The second playthrough is also a new direction, but it's not quite the same. And the fact that all the mentors leave in the same cut and paste fashion means that the poignancy of the first playthrough is replaced with incredulity.

> @Cormac.3871 said:

> I am curious as to how many of the responses here are for the first mentor players experienced. I started with Forgal, and yes he was a hackneyed stereotype (the grizzled veteran on his last mission), but the fact that he was guiding you through something new meant that I felt very connected to him. The second playthrough is also a new direction, but it's not quite the same. And the fact that all the mentors leave in the same cut and paste fashion means that the poignancy of the first playthrough is replaced with incredulity.

For me my 1st was Forgal and I never connected with him. My 2nd was Tybalt.

> @Cormac.3871 said:

> I am curious as to how many of the responses here are for the first mentor players experienced.

I met Tybalt first (Whispers sounded more fun) and Sieran last (the Priory sounded like they had a stick up their books).

> And the fact that all the mentors leave in the same cut and paste fashion means that the poignancy of the first playthrough is replaced with incredulity.

I don't think that's a "fact;" they each died, but they didn't leave in the same fashion.

* Forgal did his duty, exactly as a solider is trained. He didn't "sacrifice" anything important to himself.

* Tybalt wanted to redeem himself; his was (to me) a manifestly selfish act.

* Sieran, in contrast, gave up everything that was important to her about who she was. She didn't believe in fighting, didn't believe in getting involved in the real world. To her, everything was a lark, something to do for fun. She wasn't doing her duty or trying to make up for mistakes. She was committing to a cause.

> @Mea.5491 said:

> Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

> @"Teofa Tsavo.9863" said:

> > @"Silmar Alech.4305" said:

> > > @Mea.5491 said:

> > > Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

> > He has his own backstory with a bit of tragic, and he is believable. The others are either somewhat sterotypic (Sieran) or somewhat flat (Forgal).

> >

> > In addition, I believe the creator of Tybalt made him a depressive person. A person that has the sickness called depression, and it is admirable how Tybalt deals with his depression and tries to overcome it. This might be not so obvious, but if you know a depressive person in real life, and I mean a real depressive person with that sickness that has lost all joy in life, thinks about suicide and struggles to get even out of bed, than you will find some quite details of this sickness and corresponding behavior in Tybalt. This human touch is not constructed, this feels real.

>

> This may be the most offensive thing I've read here. I've dealt with Clinical depression for 20 years and then had a serious disability thrown on top of it. You don't "deal with it", you get professional help. You don't need amateurs diagnosing you.

I'm sorry if I hurt you. My mother has been diagnosed with depression about 25 years ago and probably had this even longer, and she is in professional therapy since then. I was 25 at that time. This is a never ending thing. I only compared what I saw at my mother with what I saw at Tybalt. I cannot see inside you, inside my mother, or inside the developer who designed Tybalt, since I am not depressive. I only see this from the outside. But from what I know of this disease, is that it has many shapes. Tybalt has a not too serious one, otherwise he would not be able to get to the outside. In the GW2 world there is also no medicine for that; my mother would not be able to live without hers.

> @"Teofa Tsavo.9863" said:

> > @"Silmar Alech.4305" said:

> > > @Mea.5491 said:

> > > Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

> > He has his own backstory with a bit of tragic, and he is believable. The others are either somewhat sterotypic (Sieran) or somewhat flat (Forgal).

> >

> > In addition, I believe the creator of Tybalt made him a depressive person. A person that has the sickness called depression, and it is admirable how Tybalt deals with his depression and tries to overcome it. This might be not so obvious, but if you know a depressive person in real life, and I mean a real depressive person with that sickness that has lost all joy in life, thinks about suicide and struggles to get even out of bed, than you will find some quite details of this sickness and corresponding behavior in Tybalt. This human touch is not constructed, this feels real.

>

> This may be the most offensive thing I've read here. I've dealt with Clinical depression for 20 years and then had a serious disability thrown on top of it. You don't "deal with it", you get professional help. You don't need amateurs diagnosing you. Most of my contemporaries were not even aware of my struggle. This is so typical of that Tumblr narrative team writing approach. It is a serious condition and one that does not need to be a "hook" in a gaming narrative. They need to stop these ill-advised social morality plays that bear no real resemblance to RL struggles or issues and, in fact, usually cheapen or overly simplify the struggles a RL person faces.

>

> Suggesting that this NPC was somehow "admirable" in the context of depression is just wrong. In the depths of my worst times I could manufacture fantasies about how I could "end" myself making some "contribution" to the greater good without exposing to my sons what I had actually done. Suicide "by other means" is still suicide.

I have the same diagnosis.

Getting "professional help" only got me stuffed with copious amounts of pills that made things worse. Glad it worked for you but it sure as hell didn't work for me.

I've been at the crossroad you talk about, often. Suicidal thoughts have been a thing for me since early teenage. But i always pussied out out of fear of screwing it up. Death is far from the worst condition imaginable for me.

So eventually i just said "screw it". If i'm not going to go along with it, i need to get over it. No in-betweens. Staying in that purgatorium forever was pointless.

So i fought it. And still do today, by keeping myself as occupied as possible, school, work, writing, reading, games. As long as my mind is busy i'm fine. Without pills.

So saying that you can't possibly get over it without them is just as offensive and narrow-minded.

Everyone's different and there's huge risk to my approach, i might crash and burn at some point.

But to me its better than living in a fog.

> @Cormac.3871 said:

> I am curious as to how many of the responses here are for the first mentor players experienced. I started with Forgal, and yes he was a hackneyed stereotype (the grizzled veteran on his last mission), but the fact that he was guiding you through something new meant that I felt very connected to him. The second playthrough is also a new direction, but it's not quite the same. And the fact that all the mentors leave in the same cut and paste fashion means that the poignancy of the first playthrough is replaced with incredulity.

The first mentor I experienced was Tybalt on my thief (now deleted character).

The second mentor I experienced was Sieran, only a couple of weeks later on my mesmer.

Having experienced all three now, I still rate Sieran >>> Tybalt > Forgal.

Sieran is just so cheerful and naive, but that same innocence develops an astounding bravery. Her conversations were always a breath of fresh air, some hilarious lines with Gixx and the player, and as others have said in here she developed the most over the course of the story leading to Claw Island where she finally learnt the significance of giving up oneself in service of another. It was tragic, beautiful and impactful.

• 1 year later...

Sieran

The first I've experienced was Forgal .. not really big remembrance .. I have only two toons in Vigils .. I'm not very much fond of Vigils ..

Second I tried was Priory, and it was pulling me tears when Sieran died, same as when Eir died .. I have 5 toons in Priory, only, as I didn't want to see Sieran die again .. Just I go Priory sometimes when I want to meet Sieran again !

Third, I choosed Whispers and Tybalt, for 7 toons afterwards .. Tybalt is really a good guy, and I don't like him to die .. but ..

I still prefer very much my dear Sieran !! I love the way she acts, she speaks (thanks to the actress !) and her voice is so fantastic in english than in french !!

Btw : sorry if my english is no good !

Wasn't even a difficult choice... Forgal is a generic grumpy old man and Sieran I just found as annoying as any other ditzy Sylvari.

Tybalt has a good sense of humor, he's kind with a complex past. It doesn't help that the order of whispers storyline is the only really interesting one... Vigil is just go to place fight things and Priory isn't much different. The drinking contest with the pirates was such a memorable moment for me but the other two storylines just don't stand out at all.

Sieran = annoyingly cheerful

Tybalt = loved him, but his storyline lacked depth (_for a tragic character like him, you would have expected more from the writing_)

Forgal = he cracked me up so many times with his lines; loved him (_and learning the truth about his family at the end nearly broke my heart_)

Edit: Oops! Already wrote a comment earlier. Oh well. ;)

The only one I remember at all is Tybalt, because of the apple obsession. To be honest I didn't care one way or the other about any of them. The story doesn't really do anything to make you feel invested in them as characters. One thing I wish was stronger about GW2 is that the choice of faction ought to have been more impactful.

Tybalt is my favorite and after going through his arc twice now, I realize that it's not just his voice acting and his story, for me the most appealing thing about him is his *face*.

He is the most dog-like charr I've ever seen!

He looks like a big ol' happy labrador that you just can't get mad at no matter what they do. Seriously, it's that face that does it for me. I love him.

Sieran all the way.

The racial backstories for charr and norn are too shallow and predictable for my taste, so i confess to that bias straightaway.

I did Whispers first, so Tybalt was my first mentor and boy did he suck! He was so inept as a whispers agent that he went beneath the 'side with the underdog' trope and straight to 'ditch the useless sod'. I found nothing endearing about him, and likewise for Forgal. Sieran on the other hand had actual character development and lost the most at Claw Island; the other two were at the end of their usefulness whereas Sieran still had potential, nevermind that she would likely have outlived the others due to being sylvari.