PvE Players... Do you think GW 2 would be better without PvP and WvW?

Cyrin.1035

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> The existence of PvP and WvW have only compromised the rest of the game. Too often balance changes are made with PvP modes in mind, without regard for how they impact the PvE experience. It's not so much an issue of developer time spent on those modes, as it is an issue with developer focus.

This is my sentiment in large part. If at least PvE could be balanced separately from PvP, I might resent the existence of PvP less.

*I don´t like PvP very much. Still it gets a pass because it is extremely fitting for the come as you are philosophy I adore from the original GW2.

*I like wvw. The drama in map chat alone is hillarious, and I like to build and defend.

*Even if both modes were discontinued, Anet would surely find reasons (lunar cycle, holidays, prices for servers, zombie apocalypse etc etc) why they can´t produce more PvE stuff. And even if they did, I am pretty sure that I would be swamped with raids and that would be about one of the last things I want.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > @"Aerlen.5326" said:

> > No.

> >

> > I don't care for WvW and I think PvP is nothing but a toxic breeding ground but there are people who enjoy both of those game modes. Why would I want to take them away? That's not going to benefit PvE any and a whole bunch of players are going to leave. Let them have their content, we can have ours.

>

> Why do you think it wouldn't benefit PvE?

A better question would be, "Why do you think it would?"

There is no hard and fast rule about which demographics spend money. Game companies correlate revenue with the size of the overall game population. Shrinking game population almost always leads to shrinking revenue. Companies offset high production costs these days via mass appeal. Reducing the size of the customer base is almost always bad.

The proposed change would certainly lead to the loss of every WvW-only player, every sPvP-only player and every WvW/sPvP-only player. A lot of PvE players also play one or both of the other modes. There is no telling how many of them would leave. So there would be a substantial loss of revenue, even if those people only buy XPac's for the Elite Specs -- and I don't think a case can be made that none of those players ever buy gems. So, ANet gets reduced revenue. Shrinking revenue leads to shrinking development budgets, not the increased budget that would lead to more PvE content.

For a company to even consider risking the loss of a lot of paying customers, they would have to strongly believe that the bottom line would benefit. This could either be via reduced costs, or increased revenue. For such a change to make sense, the remaining customers would have to spend a lot more money, enough to both offset the revenue provided by the departing players and more to support any possible increased PvE content. I don't see that happening.

PvE content uses the lion's share of development resources as it is. The other game modes see new things much less frequently. Some would say not at all. This almost certainly means that the proposed change would not result in dramatic reduced development costs.

The other way to get increased revenue would be to draw in a lot of new customers. There's a lot of competition for peoples' entertainment money. MMO's are not viewed as the best business opportunity in games at this time. That means the emphasis is on other game genres in the marketplace, both in terms of hype and accessibility. Adding large numbers of paying customers to GW2, especially a GW2 without any PvP, would be a huge ask for a game that's more than 5 years old.

> @"Nilson.9865" said:

> Why is there no option to remove PvE?

Because then you're removing at least 80% of the game (and depending on one's interpretation, WvW could be gutted as well, due to incorporating PvE elements.)

As for the thread topic, no thanks.

While I care little for either PvP or WvW, they're part of the game and there for those that like them. Leave those modes be. This suggestion is stupid, and asking the developers to waste their effort on _removing_ content instead of adding/improving upon what they've got.

> @"Jin.8501" said:

> Voting number 1 is pretty selfish

Well the game was designed towards players that arent that good as well, for pve players type only, the core ideal of the game was/is selfish to start.

Reason anything related to pvp gameplay is a mess, due skill design and class concept is designed to pve.

I see whiners in all 3 modalities.

* PvE is full of players who mostly complain about Raids and Fractals difficulty ( and sometimes about personal story encounters, lol ).

* SPvP is full of players who mostly complain about class balance.

* WvW is full of players who mostly complain about class balance.

However, still it is not clear **how** could the game become better by removing 2 modalities.

Also it's missing the option

> Do you think gw2 would be better without polls on forum ( like those meant to justify an optional subscription, bring together those who can't achieve pve content because it's not casual enough, or asking to remove 2 modalities of game because reasons )?

As a person who plays all 3 modes at a pretty sub-par level (PvP, WvW and PvE) I like the verity, and don't understand why anyone would limit themselves if they truly enjoyed the game. Sure, not everyone’s SUPER competitive, but it doesn’t mean you can’t have fun breaking out of the norm!

All 3 game modes have their problems, there is no single game mode that can take the state of the game (besides WvW, for destroying my guardian lootstick), but I don't think removing other game modes is the awnser.

This is a terrible poll....most of the points are negative..they are against wvw ..And the keep it are too positive.

I don't think competitive aspects are the staple but I still think they are part of the game.

Many people enjoy multiple game modes...why would you remove something people are enjoying?

> @"Halan.8951" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > > > @"Aerlen.5326" said:

> > > > No.

> > > >

> > > > I don't care for WvW and I think PvP is nothing but a toxic breeding ground but there are people who enjoy both of those game modes. Why would I want to take them away? That's not going to benefit PvE any and a whole bunch of players are going to leave. Let them have their content, we can have ours.

> > >

> > > Why do you think it wouldn't benefit PvE?

> >

> > A better question would be, "Why do you think it would?"

> >

> > There is no hard and fast rule about which demographics spend money. Game companies correlate revenue with the size of the overall game population. Shrinking game population almost always leads to shrinking revenue. Companies offset high production costs these days via mass appeal. Reducing the size of the customer base is almost always bad.

> >

> Yet there're several threads of PvPers complaining about "unfairness" of playing against PoF specs (Scourge and Spellbreaker OP to sell expansion!), or a someone complaining that Marauder amulet requires having HoT. Enough to come to conclusion that PvP players are the stingiest with purchases.

>

Or..because They want a fair balance between classes? Not everyone wants to use new elites.

I don't like the power creep either, and I have the expansions.

Most PvPers want a fair balance. Many of them play multiple classes.

Mix between 1 and 6? I pretty much only play PvE and I'm very annoyed when sometimes nerfs meant for other game modes mess up with PvE. That's most of the reason I sometimes (on bad days) wish they'd just not bother with WvW and PvP. But then I remember that there are people who enjoy these game modes and it would be unfair to take them out of the game, so in the end I just wish that there were more split skills and balance changes done separately for PvE and competitive modes.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> As a person who plays all 3 modes at a pretty sub-par level (PvP, WvW and PvE) I like the verity, and don't understand why anyone would limit themselves if they truly enjoyed the game. Sure, not everyone’s SUPER competitive, but it doesn’t mean you can’t have fun breaking out of the norm!

>

> All 3 game modes have their problems, there is no single game mode that can take the state of the game (besides WvW, for destroying my guardian lootstick), but I don't think removing other game modes is the awnser.

you try a lot but you must find yoir niche