PvE Players... Do you think GW 2 would be better without PvP and WvW?

Cyrin.1035

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> without PvP the game could be so much better, without PvE the game is bankrupt in months.

Last time i checked the largest MMOs in the western market are PvP centric ones. Historically PvP heavy MMORPGs have had longer life spans than PvE ones.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/07/perfect-ten-ten-mmos-still-going-after-ten-years/

Notice 5 of the 10 on here are notorious for its PvP/Open World PvP/PKing and Aion which is another PvP centric MMORPG will be a decade next year. Those PvP centric MMORPG have a longer lifespan than most PvE ones in a market that is primarily PvE.

Edit: Knight online is another PvP centric fossil still alive and kicking

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > without PvP the game could be so much better, without PvE the game is bankrupt in months.

> >

> > selfish really, a mmorpg is a sum of its parts, and many many players play all parts of the game.

>

> selfish or thinking ahead, no PvP-only game survives for long without a huge baised fanbase behind it yet PvE-only games are online still and after decades.

No, selfish, as in a self-centered view. if GW2 did not have pvp it would offer far less than it does just now. Just because you do not see value in PVP does not mean it is not needed for gaming diversity or values by others. You could equally argue Raiding should be dropped because only a tiny proportion of the player base plays it, or jumping puzzles, or toys and so on and so forth.

> @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > without PvP the game could be so much better, without PvE the game is bankrupt in months.

> > >

> > > selfish really, a mmorpg is a sum of its parts, and many many players play all parts of the game.

> >

> > selfish or thinking ahead, no PvP-only game survives for long without a huge baised fanbase behind it yet PvE-only games are online still and after decades.

>

> No, selfish, as in a self-centered view. if GW2 did not have pvp it would offer far less than it does just now. Just because you do not see value in PVP does not mean it is not needed for gaming diversity or values by others. You could equally argue Raiding should be dropped because only a tiny proportion of the player base plays it, or jumping puzzles, or toys and so on and so forth.

A great mmorpg is a sum of its parts, extract out one element and it is no longer a mmorpg. Mmorpg games flourish with diverse player bases.

I selected "I only play PVE" because I think it's hilarious that a poll that was directed at pure PVE players had an option for "I only play PVE" when that was the target audience to begin with. The rest of the options are perhaps even more silly.

But I think what the OP is getting at is that WvW and PvP introduce balance issues and sometimes maybe a bit of a toxic community to the game

I can't argue with either of those. However, I think the compromises are worth it. Giving up a bit for having more game mode options is fine with me.

I ONLY PVE, however WVWVW is one of the unique things that this game has to offer, having PVP is kind of expected I guess so it would be wrong to suggest that either format got axed, hell at least PVP has a matchmaking function that makes sure that you are in a balanced match (almost like a tiered platform for advancement similar to the brackets server groups go into for WVWVW, or the 4 Tiers of Fractals or the different levels of difficulty in Raids which we never got even though there's a precedent set for that sort of thing.)

> @"Norseman.4280" said:

> I selected "I only play PVE" because I think it's hilarious that a poll that was directed at pure PVE players had an option for "I only play PVE" when that was the target audience to begin with. The rest of the options are perhaps even more silly.

> But I think what the OP is getting at is that WvW and PvP introduce balance issues and sometimes maybe a bit of a toxic community to the game

> I can't argue with either of those. However, I think the compromises are worth it. Giving up a bit for having more game mode options is fine with me.

That option among a few others were included with the expectation that many PvP and WvW players would vote regardless of what the title is or who the target voters were. It's also to outline a variation of the direct "yes" vote to give more insight on how those "yes" voters really feel about the topic.

My intention isn't to single out just those specific points on how the other modes affect PvE, as there are many ways in which they do. There are many players who play just for the competitive aspect and that needs to be considered just as much. Instead, the purpose is to spark opinions that contrast with both types of statements and really get down to what all of these modes are missing and why all of these modes are necessary.

> @"Gabbynot.2654" said:

> tbh guild wars 2 will be far more better off . if anet shut down and closed PvP and WvW and raids and dueling . tbh wvw was never in guild wars thus it has no place at all in the game !. pvp and spvp is noting but problems and more work than it is worth .

Kind of was - WVW is the baby of Alliance Battles in the original (at least in my opinion).

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > without PvP the game could be so much better, without PvE the game is bankrupt in months.

> >

> > selfish really, a mmorpg is a sum of its parts, and many many players play all parts of the game.

>

> selfish or thinking ahead, no PvP-only game survives for long without a huge baised fanbase behind it yet PvE-only games are online still and after decades.

I am to take it you have been totally oblivious to the rise of the MOBA.

Well originally the idea was for a designed like BDO, where players would graduate from scripted PvE content and move up to WvW. Since WvW was a total money sink and originally designed as a play ground for rich or well off players. Hence why Legendary Weapons required WvW but not sPvP.

The problem was, there was no incentive for the PvE players to do WvW, because it was a money a sink and nothing more, and the die hard players that loved WvW, would kill PvE scrubs.. even the ones on their own team. So as opposed to moving up in challenge to PvP, the PvE players simple cried for more PvE content to challenge them. Which is kinda ironic really, that they talked about needing challenge but veered away from the content that was made to give them the next step up in challenge.

Now if they started WvW with better more lucrative rewards, like they have now, or put all the "end game" rewards behind it, like Legendary/Ascended Everything, it would have been a much better progression.

But somehow.. Anet just figured pvE players would move up to WvW for the Challenge.. Yah...

Well.. this game is kinda full of bad ideas.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Genesis.5169" said:

> > > Only 11 votes. I'm disappointed in you Spvp community.

> >

> > Even in the "sPvP community" (what does the s stand for anyway?), I've seen topics on how it's sad how it seems many have left the scene.

> > Would assume those that left the scene, won't be here to vote.

>

> The S stands for Structured if I recall correctly.

Well OP dident ask them anyway since this pol is only for pve players making it 100% biased

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> Well originally the idea was for a designed like BDO, where players would graduate from scripted PvE content and move up to WvW. Since WvW was a total money sink and originally designed as a play ground for rich or well off players. Hence why Legendary Weapons required WvW but not sPvP.

>

> The problem was, there was no incentive for the PvE players to do WvW, because it was a money a sink and nothing more, and the die hard players that loved WvW, would kill PvE scrubs.. even the ones on their own team. So as opposed to moving up in challenge to PvP, the PvE players simple cried for more PvE content to challenge them. Which is kinda ironic really, that they talked about needing challenge but veered away from the content that was made to give them the next step up in challenge.

>

> Now if they started WvW with better more lucrative rewards, like they have now, or put all the "end game" rewards behind it, like Legendary/Ascended Everything, it would have been a much better progression.

>

> But somehow.. Anet just figured pvE players would move up to WvW for the Challenge.. Yah...

>

> Well.. this game is kinda full of bad ideas.

Well it kinda dont work anyway since pve players keep going "no raids to hard its not pve" and we dont want to wvw or spvp for our legendary armor give us a way to do it in open world that are just as challenging and time consuming as the other modes.

Edit

Tbh they probabely dont want it as time consuming as wvw.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > without PvP the game could be so much better, without PvE the game is bankrupt in months.

> > >

> > > selfish really, a mmorpg is a sum of its parts, and many many players play all parts of the game.

> >

> > selfish or thinking ahead, no PvP-only game survives for long without a huge baised fanbase behind it yet PvE-only games are online still and after decades.

>

> I am to take it you have been totally oblivious to the rise of the MOBA.

and you have bin oblivious to the fact that most ppl play them against AI.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > without PvP the game could be so much better, without PvE the game is bankrupt in months.

> > > >

> > > > selfish really, a mmorpg is a sum of its parts, and many many players play all parts of the game.

> > >

> > > selfish or thinking ahead, no PvP-only game survives for long without a huge baised fanbase behind it yet PvE-only games are online still and after decades.

> >

> > I am to take it you have been totally oblivious to the rise of the MOBA.

>

> and you have bin oblivious to the fact that most ppl play them against AI.

If by AI you mean other players using aim bots.. yah.. I agree.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > >

> >

>

you can take it i am indeed aware of MOBAs, Horror adventures, rogue likes, text adventures, shoot em ups and any other genre you can care to think of. All of which have nothing to do with the mmorpg genre. MMorpg's have PVP, its part of their makeup, it serves a community that wants choice in a diverse virtual persistent universe which i don't think you understand right?

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > Well originally the idea was for a designed like BDO, where players would graduate from scripted PvE content and move up to WvW. Since WvW was a total money sink and originally designed as a play ground for rich or well off players. Hence why Legendary Weapons required WvW but not sPvP.

> >

> > The problem was, there was no incentive for the PvE players to do WvW, because it was a money a sink and nothing more, and the die hard players that loved WvW, would kill PvE scrubs.. even the ones on their own team. So as opposed to moving up in challenge to PvP, the PvE players simple cried for more PvE content to challenge them. Which is kinda ironic really, that they talked about needing challenge but veered away from the content that was made to give them the next step up in challenge.

> >

> > Now if they started WvW with better more lucrative rewards, like they have now, or put all the "end game" rewards behind it, like Legendary/Ascended Everything, it would have been a much better progression.

> >

> > But somehow.. Anet just figured pvE players would move up to WvW for the Challenge.. Yah...

> >

> > Well.. this game is kinda full of bad ideas.

>

> Well it kinda dont work anyway since pve players keep going "no raids to hard its not pve" and we dont want to wvw or spvp for our legendary armor give us a way to do it in open world that are just as challenging and time consuming as the other modes.

>

> Edit

> Tbh they probabely dont want it as time consuming as wvw.

But.. if they put **ALL** the good legendary/end game stuff in WvW.. the proper response to all complaints would be.. "Come Take it from my cold dead hand"

As opposed to raids where all we hear is.. "I can memorize scripted encounters better then you, so I deserve this"

I play:

60% PvE

30% WvW

10% PvP

But there are 3 types of different gameplay and probably trying to keep these three game modes leads to many or poorly developed or forgotten.

For example, it is incredible that people complain about the imbalance of the classes in the PvP and WvW forums, and that the devs in charge of balancing this only read the class forum ... and that the balance depends on the team that surely it has more focus on PvE mode than the others. (and this is something new, nobody knew this)

This makes me suppose then that they have more resources in PvE, and in PvP and WvW it must be a very small team (and maybe the one in WvW must be a mix between those of PvE and PvE that they have)

And I do not want to be more demanding, but the poor design of the new obsidian weapons makes me think that it was made and developed by someone who does not have much imagination, while the real designers are totally focused on PvE and weapons for the store.(Just compare the weapons of Christmas with those of PvP, you can see which of the two sets they put effort and love)

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > without PvP the game could be so much better, without PvE the game is bankrupt in months.

> > > >

> > > > selfish really, a mmorpg is a sum of its parts, and many many players play all parts of the game.

> > >

> > > selfish or thinking ahead, no PvP-only game survives for long without a huge baised fanbase behind it yet PvE-only games are online still and after decades.

> >

> > I am to take it you have been totally oblivious to the rise of the MOBA.

>

> and you have bin oblivious to the fact that most ppl play them against AI.

Most MOBA players play against AI? Where on earth are you getting that statistic from?

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > >

> >

>

I was partially forced to try MXM for an Aion outfit (that I never got btw) during one month early summer.

Got mail like 3 weeks ago that it's shutting down in a month.

Not everything MOBA works and not everyone is interested or care for MOBA.

Played LoL for a solid 5 minutes in the tutorial and went "Nope, not for me."

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > @"Genesis.5169" said:

> > > > Only 11 votes. I'm disappointed in you Spvp community.

> > >

> > > Even in the "sPvP community" (what does the s stand for anyway?), I've seen topics on how it's sad how it seems many have left the scene.

> > > Would assume those that left the scene, won't be here to vote.

> >

> > The S stands for Structured if I recall correctly.

>

> Well OP dident ask them anyway since this pol is only for pve players making it 100% biased

The person i responded to asked what the S in spvp meant. I answered. I am not sure what your post has to do with my answer to a question about an abbreviation.

I voted no because a good themepark game should cater to as many different play styles as they can. I've only really done open world PvE but I think they need to fix PvP and WvW to be a more viable game mode for other players. From what I've read balance changes affect PvE and PvP? Why not make to where skills just behave differently in PvP maps for a more balanced experience? Is there a reason why they can't or won't? D:

> @"RebelliousChyld.6427" said:

> > @"Gabbynot.2654" said:

> > tbh guild wars 2 will be far more better off . if anet shut down and closed PvP and WvW and raids and dueling . tbh wvw was never in guild wars thus it has no place at all in the game !. pvp and spvp is noting but problems and more work than it is worth .

>

> Kind of was - WVW is the baby of Alliance Battles in the original (at least in my opinion).

Alliance Battles had to do with guilds only in guild wars and not the rest of that game tho . so in my opinion them 2 are not the same things at all. :#