So uhh... why no capes?

Thorment.7945

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> > @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > They make buttcapes that clip all the time though. ☹

>

> Now imagine a buttcape that goes from your neck all the way down to your feet. Sure you want that?

I don't want a cape, I just dont see the point of saying no capes due to clipping when they have no problem tagging butt capes on multiple things that clips with my side weapons.

If they did do capes, I imagine it being something like that WvW backpiece, have the cape billow out from you to avoid clipping with the body.

> @"wildernessbox.3051" said:

> Clipping and cape physics being notoriously difficult to get right.

There are lots of stuff that clips in the game. The female human, sylvari and norn version of the Shadow Assassin Outfit clip with that horrible bow in the back. I love the outfit but hate the bow. I posted a bug report on the clipping but doubt it'll ever get fixed. They could fix many clipping issues by putting in a per-character "hide stowed weapons" check box.

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> I'll never understand what this fascination with capes is.

It was a major thing in GW1 that many players liked. Every player would automatically have a cape showing off their Guild's emblem. If you saw a bunch of players with the same cape, you knew it was some kind of guild activity.

I don't think capes would work in GW2 as good as they did in GW1. We already have so many back-items that the capes would be pretty rare. You could make stupid rules like "everyone has to wear their cape during guild missions", but that would feel forced. If capes had been introduced to GW2 before the first Halloween event, when we had 0 back item skins, they could've worked.

I think the argument ANet gave against capes was that they don't work well with the Charrs' hunched backs. And since they didn't know how to make capes work on one race, none of the races got capes. Or was it a problem with stowed 2h weapons? I don't remember that precisely.

Clipping issues... it stress alot the engine since if im not in mistake one way to reduce the lag on WvW was to increase the gear or some stuff making it clip, if they have to add the cape colisions, migh be due game engine limitations.

If u guys notice most armor and weapong clip, they dont have colision system, that would make capes clip inside the charater body model.

For example, if player detection (colision system ) was working game would not be possible even to 20 vs20.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> Have you seen the Amnoon banner? It's practically a cape. And it prevents you from carrying 2h weapons.

> Such backpacks should be possible. But it would require a "hide sheathed weapons" button in order to work

Yes it would probely work, but imagine if 100 players in the same place, all waering capes with physics, you think your system or someone with the bear minimum specs could handle processing all those physics on the current engine that GW2 is built on with out taking a hit to fps?

Also that would be annoying to have your cape dissappear every time you sheath 2 handed weapon or sheild.

My guess? At this stage engine limitation. It was/is nothing more than a modified GW1 engine. So really outdated. additional cape animation could possibly be too much, but then again when you look at the white/black wings and how they swish, it makes you go why not capes? So most likely clipping and fluffying. Fluffying for the poof the cape up and out so it isn't "resting" on a character to help avoid clipping. Much like how shoulder pads float WAY above the actual shoulders.

> @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > > @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > > They make buttcapes that clip all the time though. ☹

> >

> > Now imagine a buttcape that goes from your neck all the way down to your feet. Sure you want that?

>

> I don't want a cape, I just dont see the point of saying no capes due to clipping when they have no problem tagging butt capes on multiple things that clips with my side weapons.

>

> If they did do capes, I imagine it being something like that WvW backpiece, have the cape billow out from you to avoid clipping with the body.

There's a difference between the heel of your character's foot going through one of five or so outfits, and a cape going through the entire body.

The biggest clipping issue lies with charr, I think, due to their quadrupedal running posture.

The basis for capes should be there, as GW2's engine is a heavily modified GW1 engine, but at the same time, GW1 had a lot of cape clipping too. It just wasn't so notable because the postures of PCs was made to avoid said clipping, and there was no dodge rolling or jumping.

> @"Gilgamesh VII.8690" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > Have you seen the Amnoon banner? It's practically a cape. And it prevents you from carrying 2h weapons.

> > Such backpacks should be possible. But it would require a "hide sheathed weapons" button in order to work

>

> Yes it would probely work, but imagine if 100 players in the same place, all waering capes with physics, you think your system or someone with the bear minimum specs could handle processing all those physics on the current engine that GW2 is built on with out taking a hit to fps?

>

> Also that would be annoying to have your cape dissappear every time you sheath 2 handed weapon or sheild.

No, i mean hide the weapon, not the banner.

And im not sure if the physics would be that bad. The banners have nice physics already. But you shouldn't expect fancy detailed animations like a Skyrim mod manages.

Implementing capes would not be that difficult. As far as game engines are concerned, capes are no different than any other cloth. The problem is doing so without causing massive clipping issues, oh and Charr. The only really good way to do that would be to have cloth collision physics, which requires either implementing a physics engine, or to run IK on every vertex in the cloth. The former option is expensive in development resources, the second option is expensive in performance.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Gilgamesh VII.8690" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > Have you seen the Amnoon banner? It's practically a cape. And it prevents you from carrying 2h weapons.

> > > Such backpacks should be possible. But it would require a "hide sheathed weapons" button in order to work

> >

> > Yes it would probely work, but imagine if 100 players in the same place, all waering capes with physics, you think your system or someone with the bear minimum specs could handle processing all those physics on the current engine that GW2 is built on with out taking a hit to fps?

> >

> > Also that would be annoying to have your cape dissappear every time you sheath 2 handed weapon or sheild.

>

> No, i mean hide the weapon, not the banner.

> And im not sure if the physics would be that bad. The banners have nice physics already. But you shouldn't expect fancy detailed animations like a Skyrim mod manages.

Ok my mistake, but still even simple animation and physics on 100 people still jump up processing power needed to do so. The only option I can see for this would to have options like:

*show all.

*only guild members.

*only player character.

*no capes.

Gotta remember that people are using the bare minimum spec pc or using the Mac OSX cliant.

I would love capes but I don't belive the engine guild wars runs on can handle it.

> @"Gilgamesh VII.8690" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Gilgamesh VII.8690" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > Have you seen the Amnoon banner? It's practically a cape. And it prevents you from carrying 2h weapons.

> > > > Such backpacks should be possible. But it would require a "hide sheathed weapons" button in order to work

> > >

> > > Yes it would probely work, but imagine if 100 players in the same place, all waering capes with physics, you think your system or someone with the bear minimum specs could handle processing all those physics on the current engine that GW2 is built on with out taking a hit to fps?

> > >

> > > Also that would be annoying to have your cape dissappear every time you sheath 2 handed weapon or sheild.

> >

> > No, i mean hide the weapon, not the banner.

> > And im not sure if the physics would be that bad. The banners have nice physics already. But you shouldn't expect fancy detailed animations like a Skyrim mod manages.

>

> Ok my mistake, but still even simple animation and physics on 100 people still jump up processing power needed to do so. The only option I can see for this would to have options like:

> *show all.

> *only guild members.

> *only player character.

> *no capes.

>

> Gotta remember that people are using the bare minimum spec pc or using the Mac OSX cliant.

>

> I would love capes but I don't belive the engine guild wars runs on can handle it.

I like that setting, but if anet wanted that we would've had it already. People asked to hide backpacks because overly fancy graphics before. Be it slowing computers or visual clutter.

Mind you, i play on a wreck powered by a potato in a gerbil wheel. I'm all in favour of hiding overly fancy stuff on other people to get more than 2fps in civil areas.

And true, the engine probably can't handle true capes. But since the game was based on gw1 's engine we can get that level of quality. Or they take the animations of the banners and just stretch it cape length..