Please let us hide ALL names

Chadramar.8156

OP is aware of the "hide all player names" option. They are referring to how it is invalidated once one joins a party or squad. Coming form the perspective of a healer, I appreciate the changes they made to making health bars visible at all times (a necessary evil) but I don't like seeing their names. I want as little UI as possible in the actual game world. That's all the OP is advocating. Allow us to hide party/squad member names if we want. And for DPS specs, other players names are truly irrelevant.

For some reason I have never been distracted by the name plates.

It actually helps me see who is doing what. Health bar is a big plus.

I think most people get distracted by the rest of visual effects and think that getting rid of name plates will help them somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against an option like the one requested here, but at the same time I can't stop and think to myself that people requesting this don't give a rats ass about anyone else but them while in a squad.

> @"Deepcuts.9740" said:

> For some reason I have never been distracted by the name plates.

> It actually helps me see who is doing what. Health bar is a big plus.

> I think most people get distracted by the rest of visual effects and think that getting rid of name plates will help them somehow.

> Don't get me wrong, I am not against an option like the one requested here, but at the same time I can't stop and think to myself that people requesting this don't give a rats kitten about anyone else but them while in a squad.

I figured out a while ago that all the swimming blue letters on screen gave me headaches, weirdly enough. As soon as I started leaving squads after Taxiing I've not had a tension headache from gaming since. Just because *you don't get it*, doesn't mean that people that want to hide players names in a squads only give a kitten about themselves in game (How do you get to this conclusion, everyone plays for themselves regardless, some of us would rather not be in pain to do so).

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Deepcuts.9740" said:

> > For some reason I have never been distracted by the name plates.

> > It actually helps me see who is doing what. Health bar is a big plus.

> > I think most people get distracted by the rest of visual effects and think that getting rid of name plates will help them somehow.

> > Don't get me wrong, I am not against an option like the one requested here, but at the same time I can't stop and think to myself that people requesting this don't give a rats kitten about anyone else but them while in a squad.

>

> I figured out a while ago that all the swimming blue letters on screen gave me headaches, weirdly enough. As soon as I started leaving squads after Taxiing I've not had a tension headache from gaming since. Just because *you don't get it*, doesn't mean that people that want to hide players names in a squads only give a kitten about themselves in game (How do you get to this conclusion, everyone plays for themselves regardless, some of us would rather not be in pain to do so).

If you get headaches from just some name plates, maybe you have bigger problems.

I am not even kidding. Consult some ORL professional. Your eyes might need some attention.

Or any other professional your might need.

> @"Deepcuts.9740" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > @"Deepcuts.9740" said:

> > > For some reason I have never been distracted by the name plates.

> > > It actually helps me see who is doing what. Health bar is a big plus.

> > > I think most people get distracted by the rest of visual effects and think that getting rid of name plates will help them somehow.

> > > Don't get me wrong, I am not against an option like the one requested here, but at the same time I can't stop and think to myself that people requesting this don't give a rats kitten about anyone else but them while in a squad.

> >

> > I figured out a while ago that all the swimming blue letters on screen gave me headaches, weirdly enough. As soon as I started leaving squads after Taxiing I've not had a tension headache from gaming since. Just because *you don't get it*, doesn't mean that people that want to hide players names in a squads only give a kitten about themselves in game (How do you get to this conclusion, everyone plays for themselves regardless, some of us would rather not be in pain to do so).

>

> If you get headaches from just some name plates, maybe you have bigger problems.

> I am not even kidding. Consult some ORL professional. Your eyes might need some attention.

> Or any other professional your might need.

I have MS, optic neuritis was how it was diagnosed. But thanks for your concern, not that my health is any of your concern. Point still stands, the work around is to not be in squads for prolonged periods. I’ll suffer the invite spam/leave invites hanging, it’s less irritating than blue alphabet soup.

Thank Kormir I know how to shut down anyone who dare whisper me because I’ve committed the crime of -gasp- *not being in a squad*.

> @"Deepcuts.9740" said:

> Being irritated by such things as people expecting you to be in a squad when doing group content....

> I understand you. Those monsters!

Then you understand how important the option of hiding all player names really is, and should be fixed to actually hide all player names. Glad we agree.

• 1 year later...

Suggestion: Instead of hiding the names completely, maybe have the option to have a small bar above each player in the squad, or even just your group in the squad. In fact, more options and granularity in how other players are tracked in group content would be great.

Example.

1. Squad members appear with blue bar only (no names), but group within squad has names. Or.

2. Entire Squad has blue bar only, but group within squad has different colour bar (red, yellow, other/custom). Or...

3. Each group within squad has custom colour bar (either dictated by squad leader or each player). Remember currently groups are tracked by group number not colour, so nothing breaks. Or...

4. Entire squad has names hidden and no colour bar, but group members within squad only has blue (or custom colour) bar. Or finally, as has been requested many times before...

**5. Hide names for entire squad. Custom tags can be used to track specific key individuals within squad, such as group leaders etc....**

Requesting a feature isn't an exercise in selfishness, or an opportunity to reply "git gud noob". Its not a threat to the game or its devs. Its a considered suggestion to plug a perceived gap.

All in all, this summarizes to one thing that makes me deeply sad in this game: the lack of Quality of Life. I don't know what are the "top dog" games ANet could be basing their development strategies but, as a single example, in Elder Scrolls Online, a game I don't play in more than three years and yet has a VERY similar concept with GW2, the community stepped on regarding the visual aggressiveness of a so-called Ultimate Skill (Templar's Nova) that was excessively bright. A few weeks later the brightness was reduced and everyone was really grateful for that.

In GW2 we have many, many things blinking and popping in our faces together with a lot of costumes and armours irrelevant for some players and performance-degrading during big fights, that playing for longer periods of time with max quality is impossible for the majority of players.

This is one of the reasons I don't do Domain of Istan's meta anymore

> @"magnusthorek.8027" said:

> ... in Elder Scrolls Online, a game I don't play in more than three years and yet has a VERY similar concept with GW2, the community stepped on regarding the visual aggressiveness of a so-called Ultimate Skill (Templar's Nova) that was excessively bright. A few weeks later the brightness was reduced and everyone was really grateful for that.

I'm guessing that is is more difficult to ignore a paying playerbase rather than the F2P model that ANet uses with GW2?

As I said, it's been years since I stopped playing ESO so I can't say how things are today but, when I was an active player, even though ESO+ was beginning to give substantial advantages for subscribers, there were lots of things a free player could do. Sure, they wouldn't be progressive like the top players with access to expansions and most of their locked-in equipment, but we see this in some degree here as well with players without access to elite specs, gliding or mounts if they don't buy the expansions.

> @"magnusthorek.8027" said:

> All in all, this summarizes to one thing that makes me deeply sad in this game: the lack of Quality of Life.

We have plenty on QoL compared to other MMOs.

What we're missing is a robust, customizable UI. That's something we've been begging for years.