Any plans of new musical instruments? What would you like to see?

Chris.4670

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Embered.5089" said:

> > @"Eidolonemesis.5640" said:

> > > @"Embered.5089" said:

> > > Actually I was wondering why the Marriner's Horn forces you to hold the notes. There should be an option to push or push and hold so we aren't forced to hold it for the full duration of the sound.

> >

> > If the Mariner's Horn's notes were not made that way, then what would happen is the duration of each note would be held automatically, and that limits 'control' over the instrument.

> I don't get why they need to be long notes at all? If someone gave you a horn in real life, you have the option of blowing once loudly into it vs. only being able to take in deep breaths and breathe slowly into it.

Coming from someone who has been with the GW2 musician community since the release of in-game instruments, I do not see what your issue is because it makes no sense. The duration of notes on the Mariner's Horn are only as 'long' you make them depending on how long you hold them down. If you just tap a note really quick on the Mariner Horn followed by another note right after that, the duration of a note is shorter.

With the above stated in mind, since you want a direct answer to why notes need to be long on the Mariner's Horn at times, or why anyone would play a long note, that depends on the piece of music being played where some notes are held down longer than others. It is that simple.

> @"Eidolonemesis.5640" said:

> Coming from someone who has been with the GW2 musician community since the release of in-game instruments, I do not see what your issue is because it makes no sense. The duration of notes on the Mariner's Horn are only as 'long' you make them depending on how long you hold them down. If you just tap a note really quick on the Mariner Horn followed by another note right after that, the duration of a note is shorter.

Oh, that's why. I've been repeatedly told that you're forced to hold down a note for the full duration, that tapping still causes it to be held--but i guess that's because they didn't try or didn't notice that tapping another note will cut the first one short.

• 8 months later...

I'd like a string instrument, a violin, viola, something of the sort, it's one of the crucial elements in making "epic orchestral music" that the game is currently missing. I'd like a instrumental drum kit too since well, the "tribal" ones just aren't very good with everyone hearing them differently and them being.. "tribal" — it limits them somewhat. I'd also like to be able to whistle little melodies by them creating an instrument which is just that, a series of recorded whistling notes so you can manually play a variety of melodies. It doesn't even require an art asset since you'd be whistling with your mouth. And although the Harps are a good substitute, I wouldn't mind a piano with cleaner piano sounds. Oh, I also wouldn't mind an actually manually played music box with the same distinct sounds you get from say the super rare Path of Fire music boxes, even if it required collecting them all to unlock it (please no, they are so frustrating to get and I've disappointingly never seen a single one pop out of the daily "collectibles" in the various maps).

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> I want an asuran theremin!

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

It probably wouldn't have quite the same impact as in real life, every time I've seen a performance which included a theremin it took me a while to combine "Why is he/she waving his/her hand around like that?" and "Which of these instruments is making that weird noise?" and realise what it was and then I couldn't stop watching for the rest of the performance because it's such a strange process.

But it would still be a great instrument to add and absolutely _perfect_ for the asura.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Frostfang.5109" said:

> Bagpipes!!!!!!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

If you love bagpies -- as I (obs) do -- here's a wonderful piece of music: Peter Maxwell Davies, An Orkney Wedding, With Sunrise. Wait for the ending -- it brings chills!

[Linked here](http://www.classical-music.com/article/six-best-bagpipe-tunes "Linked here").

Edit to add (sorry, I do love babpipes so!): I will send an e-mail to the audio team to ask them to take a look at this thread when they have time. I asked our Gem Store folks about instruments just yesterday (remembering the chromatic scale and chord requests, in particular). Gem Store suggested that I contact Audio, so I'm on the case! ;)

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Frostfang.5109" said:

> > Bagpipes!!!!!!

>

> <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

>

> If you love bagpies -- as I (obs) do -- here's a wonderful piece of music: Peter Maxwell Davies, An Orkney Wedding, With Sunrise. Wait for the ending -- it brings chills!

> [Linked here](http://www.classical-music.com/article/six-best-bagpipe-tunes "Linked here").

>

> Edit to add (sorry, I do love babpipes so!): I will send an e-mail to the audio team to ask them to take a look at this thread when they have time. I asked our Gem Store folks about instruments just yesterday (remembering the chromatic scale and chord requests, in particular). Gem Store suggested that I contact Audio, so I'm on the case! ;)

I scrolled through near the end to find it, but sadly the bagpipes are over shadowed by the rest of the orchestra and barely come through. Mull of Kintyre still has one of my fav accompaniments and of course the first few moments of the intro to Kingsman 2 OST below (RIP Merlin, sniff). Not sure much beats AMazing Grace in full bagpipe though

I remember Lotro put bagpipes in many, many yeas ago, but they failed to sound anything like bagpipes at all. I'd love to see them done justice in GW2 alongside a Tam o'Shanter and Kilt for my big, red bearded Norn...

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

>

> I scrolled through near the end to find it, but sadly the bagpipes are over shadowed by the rest of the orchestra and barely come through.

Yes, that's a particularly bad recording. Needs more bagpipe!

Oh [try this one](

"try this one -- I think it's a student group and they're great")! Good bit starts at 10:44. Lord, pipes and a kilt -- I'm in heaven!

Edit to add: I found it on my lunch hour. No work hours were sacrificed in the 4 minutes it took me to find it. :D :D :D

Edit again to add: Sorry about the weird post prior to this. Testing new account access for moderator and it flubbed things, but I think it's all good now. :)

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> >

> > I scrolled through near the end to find it, but sadly the bagpipes are over shadowed by the rest of the orchestra and barely come through.

>

> Yes, that's a particularly bad recording. Needs more bagpipe!

>

> Oh [try this one](

"try this one -- I think it's a student group and they're great")! Good bit starts at 10:44. Lord, pipes and a kilt -- I'm in heaven!

>

> Edit to add: I found it on my lunch hour. No work hours were sacrificed in the 4 minutes it took me to find it. :D :D :D

>

> Edit again to add: Sorry about the weird post prior to this. Testing new account access for moderator and it flubbed things, but I think it's all good now. :)

Ah yeah that's better although I found another recording that did it more justice anyway

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> Banjo.

>

> It should be a WvW exclusive though that way you can have your one scout play dueling banjo's when the enemy is coming to your keep.

Banjo is a good call. And a Kazoo. Banjo and Kazoo for jumping puzzles......

> @"Gemnaid.4219" said:

> Triangles need love too.

Do they though? ;)

Well, Gaile, I play the Scottish bagpipes and have even done "An Orkney Wedding" with the local symphony. I encourage Arenanet to produce a bagpipe for ingame players! (Simple scale - 9 notes plus single pitch drones of 2 differing octaves). I can play all my competition repertoire in game! -)

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

>

> > @"Gemnaid.4219" said:

> > Triangles need love too.

>

> Do they though? ;)

Made me laugh. :D

> @"Dora.2451" said:

> Well, Gaile, I play the Scottish bagpipes and have even done "An Orkney Wedding" with the local symphony. I encourage Arenanet to produce a bagpipe for ingame players! (Simple scale - 9 notes plus single pitch drones of 2 differing octaves). I can play all my competition repertoire in game! -)

>

I am so impressed I can hardly type. I have heard it's a challenging instrument to learn, and the air/breathing control is a real bear to master. But oh, what sounds -- what glorious sounds! I must stop myself from rhapsodizing about the lone piper on the walls of the ruins of Inverness Castle.... ;)