Exclusive Mounts faster than regular mount?

Because the Underworld Demon skimmer is much larger than the regular skimmer mount, it gives the illusion that I'm moving faster than normal.

Has anyone conducted a speed test with the mount exclusive skins versus the original mounts.

I would test it myself, but i didn't buy the Peacock Raptor, or the Warhound or the new Goat Springer.

I'm sure all that I'm seeing is an optical illusion, similar to how an Asura looks like they run faster than the slow Norns due to only their size. In truth, all gw races run at the same rate.

Wouldn't it be funny if these 2000 gem mount skins actually moved slightly faster or jumped slightly higher than the original mount?

In truth, I think this would really upset people if these exclusive mounts moved slightly faster due to being priced so high at 1600 gems or more.

But it would be a really cool Easter egg from the game designers if this was true :)

They are not going to be any different due to them using the same mount model - it is literally only the skin that changes.

If they had made it so they varied in speed based on skin and then hidden, the community would go mental. Locking a speed boost behind the gem store would cause needless backlash and Anet would not dig that hole again after the mount licence fiasco.

Luckily, there is no difference

> @"OutOfOrder.3719" said:

> I'm not trolling here. Im asking if someone else can actually test this with a stop watch lol.

>

> I'm going to be doing this for my skimmer just to see if it is possible.

I could easily test it if I had any of the mounts outside of the halloween ones.

I just can't stomach paying 2000 gems for something as ugly as those skins (minus the Skimmer which was super super cute... but super super bloody expensive).

And I only bought the one underworld demon skimmer myself. No other mount adoption license purchases at all.

It just has to be an optical illusion as the new skin is much larger than the original skimmer.

Also, don't buy the mount to test this lol. Only try it if you already have the skin purchased. 3 hours until I will be home .

> I'm not trolling here. Im asking if someone else can actually test this with a stop watch lol.

>

There are all sorts of existing speed tests of the original mounts. I recommend googling to find one/more of them so you don't have to re-invent the methodology. (Some spots are better for measuring mount speed than others.)

>

Skimmer should be really easy to test - a map with a large body of water free in a straight line. Sparkfly Fen should be good, even with minor course differences, a north-to-south run is long enough that a speed difference should be clearly measurable.

It seems obvious that OP would like this tested and I am up for that challenge! Simply forward 2k gems (or 8k if you would like all exclusive mounts included) and I will gladly test this out for you.

In addition there is a practically unnoticeable fee of an additional 2k gems for services. I believe this is the cheapest offer currently on the table and therefore the most competitive.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"OutOfOrder.3719" said:

> > I'm not trolling here. Im asking if someone else can actually test this with a stop watch lol.

> >

> > I'm going to be doing this for my skimmer just to see if it is possible.

>

> Skimmer should be really easy to test - a map with a large body of water free in a straight line. Sparkfly Fen should be good, even with minor course differences, a north-to-south run is long enough that a speed difference should be clearly measurable.

You would want somewhere with landmarks (to time distances between them, and so you have an obvious start/end point)... and would probably want both an overland and overwater time for certainty. The north wall of Garden of Seborhin is a really great place to test ground speed at least. The domes provide good, evenly spaced landmarks and it is a long flat stretch. For water, the Shipyard region of Cursed Shore should have enough landmarks to make reasonable determinations as long as you keep close enough to the east or west bank, and would be straight. Perhaps less straight but with a more definite start/end point would be the river leading from Cathedral of Verdance in Cursed shore, all the way to the rings of ruins and the HP in the Northwest of the region.

As some have said ... they are skins and therefore only change the appearance of the mount not the abilities.

Should ANET come out with an mount speed boost? I don't see why. Each type of mount has a different ground speed and is good for different terrains.

I am, however, looking forward to the next set of mounts to come out. And possibly new combat abilities for the ones I already have.

(And a hotkey to swap mounts quicker.)

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"OutOfOrder.3719" said:

> > > I'm not trolling here. Im asking if someone else can actually test this with a stop watch lol.

> > >

> > > I'm going to be doing this for my skimmer just to see if it is possible.

> >

> > Skimmer should be really easy to test - a map with a large body of water free in a straight line. Sparkfly Fen should be good, even with minor course differences, a north-to-south run is long enough that a speed difference should be clearly measurable.

>

> You would want somewhere with landmarks (to time distances between them, and so you have an obvious start/end point)... and would probably want both an overland and overwater time for certainty. The north wall of Garden of Seborhin is a really great place to test ground speed at least. The domes provide good, evenly spaced landmarks and it is a long flat stretch. For water, the Shipyard region of Cursed Shore should have enough landmarks to make reasonable determinations as long as you keep close enough to the east or west bank, and would be straight. Perhaps less straight but with a more definite start/end point would be the river leading from Cathedral of Verdance in Cursed shore, all the way to the rings of ruins and the HP in the Northwest of the region.

You just need decent stretch of flat ground or water. Grab the player position from the Mumble API and then you can easily calculate distance and time from a stopwatch. Landmarks are not necessary.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"OutOfOrder.3719" said:

> > I'm not trolling here. Im asking if someone else can actually test this with a stop watch lol.

> >

> > I'm going to be doing this for my skimmer just to see if it is possible.

>

> There are all sorts of existing speed tests of the original mounts. I recommend googling to find one/more of them so you don't have to re-invent the methodology. (Some spots are better for measuring mount speed than others.)

Why bother? Just run 2 people alongside, one on a premium skin, one on a base one. If there's a difference, it will be easily noticeable.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"OutOfOrder.3719" said:

> > > I'm not trolling here. Im asking if someone else can actually test this with a stop watch lol.

> > >

> > > I'm going to be doing this for my skimmer just to see if it is possible.

> >

> > There are all sorts of existing speed tests of the original mounts. I recommend googling to find one/more of them so you don't have to re-invent the methodology. (Some spots are better for measuring mount speed than others.)

>

> Why bother? Just run 2 people alongside, one on a premium skin, one on a base one. If there's a difference, it will be easily noticeable.

>

Not necessarily. People do different things when they move from A to B. What if the difference is 3%? Then it might not be "obvious" in every test.

When trying to falsify a hypothesis, it's good to be as rigorous as possible.

There is no difference in speed. It is the relative size differences between the skins and default model that throw you off:

It is like how an Asura seems to be speeding across the ground, while a max-size Norn seems to be slogging his way through molasses waaaay slower - despite the fact that they are equally fast, technically-speaking.

My previous offer of testing has not been answered - I can only assume that I was undercut on my honest and fair services fee.

On topic however, this is why the skin is exactly the same speed:

1) If the item gave any advantage then ANet would want to advertise this feature to show why people should buy it - the description does not mention this therefore there is no difference.

2) ANet would face a massive backlash if a gem store item gave an unfair advantage - they are aware that bad publicity would be more damaging than it is worth so it's high risk/low reward.