Not fun or balanced to have only 1 weapon

Swagger.1459

All other professions (minus ele) have access to 2 weapons, but this profession limits players to choosing only 1 weapon (from an already limited selection of weapons) that's either good for melee range combat or mid range combat or long range combat... That sucks big time in those game modes known as wvw and spvp, where most builds you fight against have ranged and melee weapons for different combat scenarios... This needs to be changed. Also, no, weapon kits are awful and do not compensate for the lack of an actual secondary weapon.

And if the community doesn't remember... Revenant was originally designed with 1 weapon, and players asked for 2 weapons after testing it on live... There is not any reason to keep this unnecessary 1 weapon disparity on engineer anymore.

You freak out if have even weapon swap and overall probably become less effective.

Current holo runs sometimes elixir gun which is actually another weapon itself, but rarely is player more than 1 kit in pvp.

Not to mention photon forge is a kit itself in some ways.

Same for elements with the attunements, cannot have weapon swap too.

> @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> You freak out if have even weapon swap and overall probably become less effective.

>

> Current holo runs sometimes elixir gun which is actually another weapon itself, but rarely is player more than 1 kit in pvp.

> Not to mention photon forge is a kit itself in some ways.

>

> **Same for elements with the attunements, cannot have weapon swap too**.

Noting that Eles can sometimes be more restrictive - run D/D and you can forget about a ranged option until you're next out of combat. Engineers are fun because you can choose to _build in_ flexibility if you accept the respective compromises.

Adding weapon swap would only add to the balance inferno that Engie seems to be.

They need to really tackle bugs in the first place, then truly work on the Kit/Toolbelt mechanics. THEN weapon swap could, maybe, be an option. But even in this case, I would vote no, because working with just one weapon and some kits is just part of the engie personality.

Also, I have never seen a problem with range/melee with engie. I have always played mid range, going in and out of the fight, alternating close, mid and (rarely) long range skills as I need them. There are plenty of options to keep fighting. Thinking only close and only ranged is not very engie, IMO.

Tldr

1 weapon + kits IS FUN.

Engie plays quite well in mid range.

Weapon swap would introduce more problems without solving any.

Weapon swap is for sissies.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> Adding weapon swap would only add to the balance inferno that Engie seems to be.

Basically this. Adding weapon swap, with engineer's limited access to weapons, would be a nightmare.

As it stands, engineers need our weapons and kits balanced in conjunction with one another, which seems like something the devs don't really want to do.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> Seems more like a l2p issue than a class issue.

I'd say it was a powercreep issue, pre-HoT kits were relatively much stronger, classes had more weaknesses, but since HoT they've powercreeped the game (and with the 3 traitline change) so kits have got left behind (in PvP/WvW mainly), all the classes have become much more "all rounders" that can do much more in a single build, which again has weakened engy.

Which is why engy overall is in pretty bad state and the one thing that is strong (at least in PvP) basically has a sort of weapon swap.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> All other professions (minus ele) have access to 2 weapons, but this profession limits players to choosing only 1 weapon (from an already limited selection of weapons) that's either good for melee range combat or mid range combat or long range combat... That sucks big time in those game modes known as wvw and spvp, where most builds you fight against have ranged and melee weapons for different combat scenarios... This needs to be changed. Also, no, weapon kits are awful and do not compensate for the lack of an actual secondary weapon.

>

> And if the community doesn't remember... Revenant was originally designed with 1 weapon, and players asked for 2 weapons after testing it on live... There is not any reason to keep this unnecessary 1 weapon disparity on engineer anymore.

I honestly don't feel the lack of the secondary on this class (partially because engi has 3 available weapon combination or 4 with an espec) I don't think it's needed as kits and the more in depth mechanics of the class give it enough utility to not need a weapon swap. If they made it a thing for the class we would need more weapons to choose from. Sword/shield with rifle could be fun though so I guess I'm not opposed to at least playing with the idea before scrapping it.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdQQJAqelcThyrY1VwWLw6FL3FF9q365OYDGhBgYB9D5AA-jxxEABAciAcS5ngKBVU9H30Tg/+DG8ABIFALK2A-e

This is my unkillable close range flamethrower juggernaut. Just close within melee, pop some potions and unleash flaming destruction on the enemies. Stacks massive regeneration and protection. All the while maxing the damage output with 10x attacks a second on flamethrower. Highest DPS of any class and the least damage taken

My standard reply to this topic:

The engineer secondary weapon should be a fixed kit.

Ie you could run p/p/ft + normal 5 skills (like other kits). Or hammer/toolkit. Or sw/shield/elixirgun. Whatever you choose. The difference is in the UI you dont put weapons in the slot, you got a normal skill selection showing all kits

Pro: the engineer will *always* have at least one kit even in "no kit" builds.

Con ("balance"): suffers the normal weapon swap cd.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> All other professions (minus ele) have access to 2 weapons, but this profession limits players to choosing only 1 weapon (from an already limited selection of weapons) that's either good for melee range combat or mid range combat or long range combat... That sucks big time in those game modes known as wvw and spvp, where most builds you fight against have ranged and melee weapons for different combat scenarios... This needs to be changed. Also, no, weapon kits are awful and do not compensate for the lack of an actual secondary weapon.

>

> And if the community doesn't remember... Revenant was originally designed with 1 weapon, and players asked for 2 weapons after testing it on live... There is not any reason to keep this unnecessary 1 weapon disparity on engineer anymore.

If you do not like the professions unique mechanics, please play another profession. Demanding it be redesigned for your personal desires is neither fair to everyone else nor rational.

OP, I have to respectfully disagree. I've never felt that the engineer needed a secondary weapon swap, because that's the role that kits play. If some of the kit skills are under performing (which I agree with), then I'd prefer that the kits be re-balanced before adding a weapon swap. I'd also like to see the current weapon sets be re-balanced to synergize with the heat mechanic before adding a weapon swap as well.

Currently, power Engie has rifle for ranged and bomb kit for melee. Or (if Holosmith) sword for melee and elixir gun or grenade kit for ranged. Both with a no cool down swap time. How would adding a secondary weapon set with a 10 second cool down improve on this?

Um you don't need a weapon swap. Kits already do that. Just pick several kits and viola your weapon swap issue is resolved. Take for example a holosmith with elixir gun and rifle. You have rifle skills, press F5, you now have holosmith skills, switch to elixir gun you now have another set of skills. If you have the grenade kit loaded, switch to that... boom another set of skills. Kits are engineers weapon swap. No need to actually have a secondary weapon swap for the Engineer. That would just make things a lot worse.