Does buying a legendary weapon make me a bum?

> @"SirCampsAlot.4162" said:

> I plan on crafting more legendary weapons, but for eternity I was gonna buy sunrise. Only because a buddy of mine has twilight on an account he never uses and said that he would Craft me eternity. I feel a bit odd about jumping right to the end. You know? Please advise.

It's reasonably common for people create Sunrise & Twilight, sell those two, and buy Eternity, because they end up with more coin as a result. I don't see any meaningful difference to what you & your buddy plan. Buddy is going to unlock sunrise by forging Eternity for you. You'll unlock all three skins.

Where's the problem?

I think it's entirely up to you.

I wouldn't buy a legendary weapon myself, but that's because I enjoy the process of making them (weird as that might sound). Also because I find it easier and more enjoyable to do the stuff required to make one than to farm gold to buy it, and buying gold with real money (via gems) costs far more than I'm willing to spend for a virtual weapon.

But I am planning to sell one at some point in the future, so I can hardly object to people buying them. I think it's more understandable in your case because Eternity requires doing the whole process twice, whereas anyone wanting any other legendary only has to do it once.

> @"SirCampsAlot.4162" said:

> I plan on crafting more legendary weapons, but for eternity I was gonna buy sunrise. Only because a buddy of mine has twilight on an account he never uses and said that he would Craft me eternity. I feel a bit odd about jumping right to the end. You know? Please advise.

I don't think it makes you a "bum." It's not much of an accomplishment to craft a legendary item. Just a time-sink. You can spend all of your playing sessions for the next two months working on grinding this thing out. Or you could crack it out in one card-swipe and do what you actually want in game instead. It depends on how you enjoy playing and what you can afford.

I've crafted AND bought legendaries. I'd buy over crafting ANY day. I work ~80 hours per week. Time is in short supply, and money is in high supply. For me, the choice is really obvious.

> @"Fallesafe.5932" said:

> It's not much of an accomplishment to craft a legendary item. Just a time-sink. You can spend all of your playing sessions for the next two months working on grinding >this thing out. Or you could crack it out in one card-swipe and do what you actually want in game instead. It depends on how you enjoy playing and what you can afford.

This right here.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I wouldn't buy a legendary weapon myself, but that's because I enjoy the process of making them (weird as that might sound). Also because I find it easier and more enjoyable to do the stuff required to make one than to farm gold to buy it, and buying gold with real money (via gems) costs far more than I'm willing to spend for a virtual weapon.

I think many players do it for that reason. I was about to craft the new focus, the Ipos thing, until I learned that you just buy all materials and craft it. That totally put me off. As if a legendary weapon is just a thing that requires you to buy stuff and put it into a crafting window. Nevermore was a completely different experience. They should really put effort into legendary weapons again.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > I wouldn't buy a legendary weapon myself, but that's because I enjoy the process of making them (weird as that might sound). Also because I find it easier and more enjoyable to do the stuff required to make one than to farm gold to buy it, and buying gold with real money (via gems) costs far more than I'm willing to spend for a virtual weapon.

>

> I think many players do it for that reason. I was about to craft the new focus, the Ipos thing, until I learned that you just buy all materials and craft it. That totally put me off. As if a legendary weapon is just a thing that requires you to buy stuff and put it into a crafting window. Nevermore was a completely different experience. They should really put effort into legendary weapons again.

There's a bit more to it than that, even with the new legendaries. There's a lot of parts which can't be purchased, like the map completion gifts and the Gift of Battle. There's others which are purchased with map currency that has to be earned by doing events on that specific map and which require masteries or achievements to be completed first. There may not be as much of a story to it as there is with the Gen 1 legendaries (although then it's only the precursors) and the first Gen 2 ones like Nevermore, but it's still a lot more varied and IMO more interesting than simply farming gold to buy materials, or to buy the finished product.

> @"Chilli.2976" said:

> It's not about having the item, it's about the journey.

For me it's both. When I first read about legendary weapons back before launch I thought it sounded interesting and I hoped I'd be able to make one eventually (I'm very much a casual player so 'end-game' goals are often out of my league, but I wanted to try). I enjoyed following along when people were trying to figure out how they were made, even though I wasn't ready to join in, and when I finally got to making mine I enjoyed the process (except grinding/saving gold to buy the precursor, but the collections were a distant rumour then so it was my only option).

But I wouldn't have done it if I didn't like the end result. Part of the reason I waited so long was because I wanted to be absolutely sure I was making a weapon I'd enjoy using for years, that it wasn't just another skin but the only skin I'd use for that weapon on that character from then on. The stat changing is largely irrelevant for me (I think I've changed my Dreamer once in the approximately 3 years I've had it, I've had Bifrost about a year now and haven't changed it at all) and it's a huge amount of effort to spend on a skin I'm going to get bored with. But so far I've loved having and using both the ones I've made.

In short, yes.

Legendaries should be something you earn and not easily. The fact that you can buy the gen 1 legendaries with your credit card notwithstanding, I firmly believe in this and, as someone who has crafted them both from scratch and then forged into Eternity, I can tell you that the feeling of having done so is very warm and fuzzy.

Yes, it's cheaper to just buy Eternity off the TP, but that is just gold and gold can always be made. And if you have enough gold to buy Eternity, then you surely know how to make more easily. And the warm and fuzzy feeling is worth more.

As a final advice, you might want to wait a bit because the next LW update should come soon and with it the next gen 2 legendary, and there is a good chance it will be the gen 2 greatsword, since there aren't all that many gen 2 legendaries to come out. And maybe you will want this one more than Eternity, or at least want it before Eternity. Up to you.

Have a good one, and remember to fall on the good side of Eternity!