Macroing Fireworks?

Nokomis.5076

Hello everyone

I got a little question and as an example I'm taking the achievement where you need to lit 300 fireworks.

After clicking left mouse button 600 times myself and pressing key 1 after each two clicks, I wondered if it would be allowed to make it semi-automatical.

I have in mind, that a macro is allowed, if it only does exactly one thing. So how about a macro, which does exactly one thing (firing key 1) every second and all I need to do myself is double clicking onto the next firework? Theoretically it sounds like it should be legit.

In brief: it's not legit; you probably can get away with using one; but it puts your account at risk.

Is that risk worth it to you to save yourself from 10 minutes of tedium? That's up to you.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> After clicking left mouse button 600 times myself and pressing key 1 after each two clicks, I wondered if it would be allowed to make it semi-automatical.

* No, it's not legit. The rule is `one key = one action`; a macro violates that.

* Will ANet go after you for using a macro to spam the achievement? That's extremely unlikely. Before _consume all_, people are known to have used macros for completing drinking achievements.

* Does that mean it's safe to use a macro for fireworks? No, for a variety of reasons that come down to: ANet has the tech to tell if you used (or are likely to have used a macro). While they won't go looking for you, if they happen to be investigating your account for _any reason_ and they come across this, the fact that the account shows the use of a macro will influence their response.

All of you people that complain about wrecking your mouse must be using cheap mice, either that or the supposed gaming mice aren't all they're cracked up to be. Still using the same Alienware mouse I've been using for over 6 years now, no problems at all, even with all the clicking...and I do everything with mouse clicks(even using skills).

It's an achievement, right? Then it ought to be done in the spirit of the game, not manipulated through a method which lessens the goal. Using a macro for this kind of thing could be construed by others as an "advantage" which would open up that whole can of worms.

I don't use macros and can't think of a reason in-game where I would. That's just me. If someone were to do so for this achievement, it doesn't necessarily adversely affect me or my ability to play the game; however, I still feel it is wrong for anyone to do so. If these types of things were intended to be done with the option of using a macro, then I believe they would have been created in such a way.

/me shrugs

Theres a style of macroing where you put several lines of actions on one key, but you still have to click for every line.

So you could have:

0. Wziu: 2s.

1. LMB

2. LMB

3. nm;1

This way you still have 1 action per click, true to their EULA, and not clicking for 2 second resets the macro..

Would that be allowed?

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> just use the windows function mouse keys https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14204/windows-7-use-mouse-keys-to-move-mouse-pointer

>

> It has a built in double click function as shown in the article.

Was about to say this myself. With mouse keys you can just place the cursor on the fireworks and press 2 keyboard keys, it's no doubt a little easier on the wrist.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> Theres a style of macroing where you put several lines of actions on one key, but you still have to click for every line.

> So you could have:

> 0. Wziu: 2s.

> 1. LMB

> 2. LMB

> 3. nm;1

>

> This way you still have 1 action per click, true to their EULA, and not clicking for 2 second resets the macro..

> Would that be allowed?

The rule is:

One key = one action

This could read as one key stroke equals one action. But it can also mean that each key has to perform a unique action. User agreements are not black and white, but open for interpretations. Same as with laws. Common advice is though to not see how far you can stretch things. If arenanet wants to elaborate on how this is interpretated, and if they choose your version, it changes a lot, but if this doesn’t happen (and it is likely it won’t) I would strongly advice to go for: nope, it is still not allowed.

Edit: to elaborate more. These rules are not here to annoy you, but to protect the community, or in this case the effort put into a specific achievements. This gives an advantage. I don’t know if it is an unfair one, but I do know that spamming fireworks is very easy. It really is LMB LMB 1. It is spammed pretty quick.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> In brief: it's not legit; you probably can get away with using one; but it puts your account at risk.

> Is that risk worth it to you to save yourself from 10 minutes of tedium? That's up to you.

>

> > @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> > After clicking left mouse button 600 times myself and pressing key 1 after each two clicks, I wondered if it would be allowed to make it semi-automatical.

>

> * No, it's not legit. The rule is `one key = one action`; a macro violates that.

> * Will ANet go after you for using a macro to spam the achievement? That's extremely unlikely. Before _consume all_, people are known to have used macros for completing drinking achievements.

> * Does that mean it's safe to use a macro for fireworks? No, for a variety of reasons that come down to: ANet has the tech to tell if you used (or are likely to have used a macro). While they won't go looking for you, if they happen to be investigating your account for _any reason_ and they come across this, the fact that the account shows the use of a macro will influence their response.

>

>

I suspect it would depend on how the key is mapped. If the function is a basic part of the operating system, they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. In Windows, "sticky keys" can be used to map a key to a double-click, for example.

However, if a third-party tool or a keyboard's macro capabilities created the change, then it would be a violation.

NOTE: Mapping one key to a double-click isn't really a map of two clicks. It's a map of a single mouse action (that typically requires two finger actions) such that it can be done with one action. However, mapping the double-click followed by a click of the "1" key would definitely be a violation.

However, I see your main point: don't do things that might get you banned.

I would be interested in hearing from ANet whether my interpretation is valid.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > In brief: it's not legit; you probably can get away with using one; but it puts your account at risk.

> > Is that risk worth it to you to save yourself from 10 minutes of tedium? That's up to you.

> >

> > > @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> > > After clicking left mouse button 600 times myself and pressing key 1 after each two clicks, I wondered if it would be allowed to make it semi-automatical.

> >

> > * No, it's not legit. The rule is `one key = one action`; a macro violates that.

> > * Will ANet go after you for using a macro to spam the achievement? That's extremely unlikely. Before _consume all_, people are known to have used macros for completing drinking achievements.

> > * Does that mean it's safe to use a macro for fireworks? No, for a variety of reasons that come down to: ANet has the tech to tell if you used (or are likely to have used a macro). While they won't go looking for you, if they happen to be investigating your account for _any reason_ and they come across this, the fact that the account shows the use of a macro will influence their response.

> >

> >

> I suspect it would depend on how the key is mapped. If the function is a basic part of the operating system, they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. In Windows, "sticky keys" can be used to map a key to a double-click, for example.

>

> However, if a third-party tool or a keyboard's macro capabilities created the change, then it would be a violation.

>

> NOTE: Mapping one key to a double-click isn't really a map of two clicks. It's a map of a single mouse action (that typically requires two finger actions) such that it can be done with one action. However, mapping the double-click followed by a click of the "1" key would definitely be a violation.

>

> However, I see your main point: don't do things that might get you banned.

>

> I would be interested in hearing from ANet whether my interpretation is valid.

>

A "double-click" is "one action". Or at least, computers can treat it as such. And sure, ANet won't care about that. That is not what the OP asked about though.

Then asked about using a macro to press once and let the clicking continue unabated. That is clearly disallowed (and more/less already covered in some of the examples ANet's used in the past).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > In brief: it's not legit; you probably can get away with using one; but it puts your account at risk.

> > > Is that risk worth it to you to save yourself from 10 minutes of tedium? That's up to you.

> > >

> > > > @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> > > > After clicking left mouse button 600 times myself and pressing key 1 after each two clicks, I wondered if it would be allowed to make it semi-automatical.

> > >

> > > * No, it's not legit. The rule is `one key = one action`; a macro violates that.

> > > * Will ANet go after you for using a macro to spam the achievement? That's extremely unlikely. Before _consume all_, people are known to have used macros for completing drinking achievements.

> > > * Does that mean it's safe to use a macro for fireworks? No, for a variety of reasons that come down to: ANet has the tech to tell if you used (or are likely to have used a macro). While they won't go looking for you, if they happen to be investigating your account for _any reason_ and they come across this, the fact that the account shows the use of a macro will influence their response.

> > >

> > >

> > I suspect it would depend on how the key is mapped. If the function is a basic part of the operating system, they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. In Windows, "sticky keys" can be used to map a key to a double-click, for example.

> >

> > However, if a third-party tool or a keyboard's macro capabilities created the change, then it would be a violation.

> >

> > NOTE: Mapping one key to a double-click isn't really a map of two clicks. It's a map of a single mouse action (that typically requires two finger actions) such that it can be done with one action. However, mapping the double-click followed by a click of the "1" key would definitely be a violation.

> >

> > However, I see your main point: don't do things that might get you banned.

> >

> > I would be interested in hearing from ANet whether my interpretation is valid.

> >

>

> A "double-click" is "one action". Or at least, computers can treat it as such. And sure, ANet won't care about that. That is not what the OP asked about though.

>

> Then asked about using a macro to press once and let the clicking continue unabated. That is clearly disallowed (and more/less already covered in some of the examples ANet's used in the past).

>

>

Agreed. My post was merely intended to show that there is room for at least one keyboard mapping. (And, IMO, the most important one, since it's done far more often than any sequence that people might -- illegally -- map.)