PSA: Old Mount Adoption Licenses gone in 5 days

As I was slowly chipping away at the first 30, the inability to purchase more of them is somewhat offputting. They were part of my plan to spend 10 bucks each month to have them all over the course of 15 months. And I'm perfectly stocked with bank tabs and character slots. Somehow not the smartest move, giving people a purchase goal to slowly progress and then snatching it from them... but who am I to say.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"DarcShriek.5829" said:

> > I'm betting they come back in a few months.

>

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > "It’s your last week to pick up the original Mount Adoption License before the Black Lion Stables close applications for the season."

> >

> > I take that "_close applications for the season_" to mean they'll be back in and out of the gemstore like a lot of gemstore stuff: just artificial scarcity to drive sales.

>

> Yup. We can be sure of these things: Death. Taxes. People blaming someone|something else when their team loses in PvP. And ANet removing stuff from the gem store before some of us have the wherewithal to purchase. (And ANet putting it back in the shop later, when we least expect it.)

I intend to live forever ;)

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"Conncept.7638" said:

> > > @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > > This really begs the question of what they intend to do with those skins.

> > > Revamp the system and meld it with the Istan set? Super rares in Black Lion boxes?

> > > New license structure? (600 gems for RNG pull of a specific type? No one wants skimmers. :|)

> >

> > How 'bout just let people freaking buy them without gambling like any honest vendor would?

>

> 1200 gems.

>

> If the older set gets merged or reformatted to copy the Istan set, that's how much it'll cost to "freaking buy them". But they'd have to rework the UI and whatnot first. I personally don't mind the RNG if I have a little control over it.

I'd quite happily spend 1,200 gems each on the ones I want from that set. But I'm not willing to spend however many thousand gems (or about £110) for all of them just for the ones I want.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I intend to live forever ;)

Me too, but as the Rolling Stones say you can't always get what you want.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I'd quite happily spend 1,200 gems each on the ones I want from that set. But I'm not willing to spend however many thousand gems (or about £110) for all of them just for the ones I want.

No problem there! I'm hoping they revamp the old set to allow skin sales like the Istan set. Or just squish all the sets into one and do the cheaper-RNG + direct buy.

I'd still rather see more moderate prices (600 gem direct, 200 gem RNG), but I'm glad things are tilting in the direction of direct acquisition.

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> As I was slowly chipping away at the first 30, the inability to purchase more of them is somewhat offputting. They were part of my plan to spend 10 bucks each month to have them all over the course of 15 months.

That's how I feel, too. I've mostly been trading gold for gems to get them, but I have bought gems with real money at least twice to buy a couple of the licenses. I was hoping to be able to continue that, but I guess not. :\

> @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> Doesn't the gem store have tons of stuff that disappears often just to come back a few months later? (Artificial scarcity)

Yup. And given how the announcement says "closing [mount license] applications _for the season_," I'm betting this will come back sooner or later. It probably won't be gone permanently.

I do hope they'll offer a direct-buy option, like the Istani skins.

This is my personal take on any gem store items...this is what I have to divide my spendable money on: housing, food, internet and anything else I want(aka discretionary income), that's it...and don't say what about your health...that is what insurance is for, same with transportation, it's paid for I only have to pay a monthly amount for insurance. Your situation may be different, but that's mine and I choose to spend my discretionary income on GW2 and buying new single player games that I might enjoy as that is what I find fun.

> So while I'd love see MountFits available via some collection, too, I expect that realistically, they'll be _more_ expensive, not cheaper. And that's before taking into account the work needed to finish.

I'd be totally okay with a journey for mountfits...

Sounds like you could even have "Legendary" or some other name for them mountfits.

Just sayin' it adds something to do for content.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > So while I'd love see MountFits available via some collection, too, I expect that realistically, they'll be _more_ expensive, not cheaper. And that's before taking into account the work needed to finish.

>

> I'd be totally okay with a journey for mountfits...

> Sounds like you could even have "Legendary" or some other name for them mountfits.

>

> Just sayin' it adds something to do for content.

Absolutely, I'd love that too.

I hope it's clear I'm not a fan of ANet's implementation. I just don't think there's anything bad about it. Short sighted? Maybe. Dull? Definitely. But bad or somehow immoral? naw, it's just business.

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > So while I'd love see MountFits available via some collection, too, I expect that realistically, they'll be _more_ expensive, not cheaper. And that's before taking into account the work needed to finish.

> >

> > I'd be totally okay with a journey for mountfits...

> > Sounds like you could even have "Legendary" or some other name for them mountfits.

> >

> > Just sayin' it adds something to do for content.

>

> Absolutely, I'd love that too.

> I hope it's clear I'm not a fan of ANet's implementation. I just don't think there's anything bad about it. Short sighted? Maybe. Dull? Definitely. But bad or somehow immoral? naw, it's just business.

Nope i understood as much. I agree while im not a fan, i just cant help but think of the gameplay hours that could be added around both gliders and mounts by having them obtained via more than just gold/gems.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > I got my unbound magic glider/backpack from a BLC with a map completion key so that argument doesn't really work. Which mount skins can I get that way?

> >

> > You think there's a material difference between getting a lucky drop of a BL key that in turns leads to a lucky drop from the BL chest versus getting any other lucky drop that you can sell for gold, convert to gems, and buy a MountFit? Neither result is "earned" in the common sense of the word; it's just different categories of good luck.

> >

> > Personally, I'd find it fun to see some sort of legendary-like collection for a few MountFits **and** I hope ANet decides to offer them up via statuettes or wardrobe unlocks some day. I also wish they sold some four-channel dye MountFits for cheap. In the meantime, they are just skins; my raptor leaps just as far using the default Mountfit. I'm sorry if that interferes with your ability to enjoy the game.

>

> I don't use the exchange, either. It's just to get people to give up gold/gems so they won't have them anymore. Out of curiosity, are you trying to convince me that the mount skin sales are ok? **I do not like the way they handled it and never will.** Mounts were a major feature in the expansion and not having any earnable just flat out stinks. Same for glider skins.

And it's okay that you don't like them. Lots and lots of people feel the same way. However, judging from the number of those skins I've seen in the game, a lot of players seemed to have spent either gold or cash on them. So whether a percentage of people hated this or didn't didn't stop it from making plenty of sales.

I agree there are people who really REALLY hated this. But I don't think they're anywhere near a majority, even though they were very loud.

For the record, I'm not a fan of it either.

• 2 months later...

> @"Harper.4173" said:

> So are we to understand these mounts will never be obtainable again?

That would be unusual. As far as I remember there's only been a few items which were removed from the gem store and never came back, apart from things like town clothes and old boosters which were obsolete or fundamentally changed. And even then you can never rule it out, because some things were removed and came back years later (like the bunny ears) and there's others a lot of players are expecting to see back, like the town clothes which have now become outfits.

These mount skins are in a tricky place because the reaction to the RNG licences was so negative. I doubt Anet will want to bring them back too soon because it would just kick off the whole debate all over again, and if/when they do they have to decide whether to keep them purely RNG which will anger at least some of the same people. (Maybe not as many since we now have more alternatives - when these were released we had 2 overtly holiday themed mount packs and 2 very expensive stand-alone skins, so these licences were the only way to get fully dyable mounts that weren't totally different to the originals.) Or if they give us another way to get them they may anger people who bought multiple licences to keep trying for the skin/s they wanted.

There is precedent however. One example is the Wintersday Mystery Box mini pets - the Snowman, Inifinarium and Festive Golem (and Foostivoo the Merry, made from the other 3). These were originally only available from the [Wintersday Mystery Box](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wintersday_Mystery_Box "Wintersday Mystery Box"), which was a festival RNG box, they were also account bound so if you wanted a particular one your only option was to keep opening boxes and hope you got it. Later the minis were made available in-game, and tradable. But when I say later...they were originally released in 2012 and the Snowman was re-released in 2015. The other two were re-released in 2016. So it was quite a bit later.

For what it's worth I'm hoping these do come back and that there's a non-RNG way to get them. Even though I now have the Istani mounts (the full set) there's still 4 or 5 of the originals I'd get if I could, maybe more if they weren't too expensive.