Account suspension discussion [merged]

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > @"FerrenoNL.7928" said:

> > > I just got the suspension too. Likewise all I run is ArcDPS (with build templates) and TacO. Im presuming either of those is not allowed anymore.

> > >

> > > Gaile, forwarding to a generic information post is not very helpful. I've submitted a support ticket and will await Anet's replies there in private.

> > >

> > > @OP I recommend you do the same :)

> >

> > I had both of those installed but needed to rebuild my PC 2 days ago (thus my pc uninstalled everything on it including GW2 and along with it arcdps and taco which I haven't re-added to GW2 yet). The thread said they suspended 1583 accounts but I find it hard to believe only 1583 had arcdps and/or taco. Taco is simply an overlay and all arcpds does is read screen information so they should both be okay to use.

>

> ArcDPS reads game memory.

Eh, I guess. Either way it still isn't a violation as far as I'm aware.

> @"aandiarie.7195" said:

> I don't use that stuff, but I thought there was a post a long time ago about something where use can use an action 1 for 1 or something where it was okay.

Yes they said that. But now lets see what that build template addon does. You do one click and that addon performs a whole series of actions for you, like changing traits, gear, stats, runes etc.

So that should be illegal by that definition. But as illconceived said, there a probably more than 1.6k people using this.

> @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > > @"FerrenoNL.7928" said:

> > > > I just got the suspension too. Likewise all I run is ArcDPS (with build templates) and TacO. Im presuming either of those is not allowed anymore.

> > > >

> > > > Gaile, forwarding to a generic information post is not very helpful. I've submitted a support ticket and will await Anet's replies there in private.

> > > >

> > > > @OP I recommend you do the same :)

> > >

> > > I had both of those installed but needed to rebuild my PC 2 days ago (thus my pc uninstalled everything on it including GW2 and along with it arcdps and taco which I haven't re-added to GW2 yet). The thread said they suspended 1583 accounts but I find it hard to believe only 1583 had arcdps and/or taco. Taco is simply an overlay and all arcpds does is read screen information so they should both be okay to use.

> >

> > ArcDPS reads game memory.

>

> Eh, I guess. Either way it still isn't a violation as far as I'm aware.

It was at the start, then they said it isn't but also they said it's "use at your own risk".

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Papa Smurf.4792" said:

> > > I got banned too, and i dont use any 3rd-party software. i have one hotkey on my mouse linked to 1 skill. I play pve, pvp, and wvw and im good af, so im sure i get reported alot. hope anet fixes this.

> >

> > Start a conversation with ANet if you're convinced you did nothing inappropriate.

> > However, keep in mind that ANet never suspends anyone because of a report or because of 1000 reports; they still investigate.

> >

> > Is it possible your suspension was for something else?

>

> What is not so cool is that Gaile's post says they not gonna accept any appeals which is pretty bold.

On the one hand, I agree. That implies there's no possibility of error. And, on a practical basis, offers them no wiggle room if they want to adjust things in a particular case.

On the other, also on a practical basis, I believe that I've seen the same disclaimer used during every publicly-reported mass-suspension/ban. And yet they've always ended up willing to discuss _some_ of the cases.

(If someone reading this plans to appeal, be sure to be as gracious and diplomatic as possible. Make it easy for them to make an exception. I can't guarantee they will, but you lose little beyond your time.)

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > > > @"FerrenoNL.7928" said:

> > > > > I just got the suspension too. Likewise all I run is ArcDPS (with build templates) and TacO. Im presuming either of those is not allowed anymore.

> > > > >

> > > > > Gaile, forwarding to a generic information post is not very helpful. I've submitted a support ticket and will await Anet's replies there in private.

> > > > >

> > > > > @OP I recommend you do the same :)

> > > >

> > > > I had both of those installed but needed to rebuild my PC 2 days ago (thus my pc uninstalled everything on it including GW2 and along with it arcdps and taco which I haven't re-added to GW2 yet). The thread said they suspended 1583 accounts but I find it hard to believe only 1583 had arcdps and/or taco. Taco is simply an overlay and all arcpds does is read screen information so they should both be okay to use.

> > >

> > > ArcDPS reads game memory.

> >

> > Eh, I guess. Either way it still isn't a violation as far as I'm aware.

>

> It was at the start, then they said it isn't but also they said it's "use at your own risk".

This. I can imagine that perhaps Arc modified a memory address it wasn't supposed to by accident, or perhaps Anet's measurements are off.

I hope that they have competent people working on automated detection algorithms, and that something a bit sturdier than simply doing a processlist scan, flagging a "suspicious tool running alongside GW2" is required for them to move forward.

Nevertheless, if I'm understanding Gaile right, they are investigating, and whilst that investigation lasts, no appeals will be handled.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> Edit #2: It's not TacO or Arc according to this. Source:

Although I'm sure it is not either of those programs, when I checked the thread 2 minutes ago, there is no confirmation one way or another, at least not from ANet.

None of the ANet posts (in the thread or elsewhere) were substantive replies. (A couple about who is minding the support queue this week, one about the context of some tweets by a different employee.)

This is a joyous day! I don't think we should have tac0, if A-Net wanted us to have a tactical overlay they would give us one. This will help get rid of those elitist raid players too. I am tired of seeing casual players getting kicked from raids because they meet the dps meter on tac0. Th A-net you made my day!!!☺

> @"Last Crysis.1934" said:

> This is a joyous day! I don't think we should have tac0, if A-Net wanted us to have a tactical overlay they would give us one. This will help get rid of those elitist raid players too. I am tired of seeing casual players getting kicked from raids because they meet the dps meter on tac0. Th A-net you made my day!!!☺

Dps meter on taco? Is there? Or are you talking about Arcdps?

> This is a joyous day! I don't think we should have tac0, if A-Net wanted us to have a tactical overlay they would give us one. This will help get rid of those elitist raid players too. I am tired of seeing casual players getting kicked from raids because they meet the dps meter on tac0. Th A-net you made my day!!!☺

Taco doesn't even have a DPS meter, as far as I know. It's just an overlay to help out with achievements and similar things.

> @"FerrenoNL.7928" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > > > > @"FerrenoNL.7928" said:

> > > > > > I just got the suspension too. Likewise all I run is ArcDPS (with build templates) and TacO. Im presuming either of those is not allowed anymore.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Gaile, forwarding to a generic information post is not very helpful. I've submitted a support ticket and will await Anet's replies there in private.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > @OP I recommend you do the same :)

> > > > >

> > > > > I had both of those installed but needed to rebuild my PC 2 days ago (thus my pc uninstalled everything on it including GW2 and along with it arcdps and taco which I haven't re-added to GW2 yet). The thread said they suspended 1583 accounts but I find it hard to believe only 1583 had arcdps and/or taco. Taco is simply an overlay and all arcpds does is read screen information so they should both be okay to use.

> > > >

> > > > ArcDPS reads game memory.

> > >

> > > Eh, I guess. Either way it still isn't a violation as far as I'm aware.

> >

> > It was at the start, then they said it isn't but also they said it's "use at your own risk".

>

> This. I can imagine that perhaps Arc modified a memory address it wasn't supposed to by accident, or perhaps Anet's measurements are off.

>

> I hope that they have competent people working on automated detection algorithms, and that something a bit sturdier than simply doing a processlist scan, flagging a "suspicious tool running alongside GW2" is required for them to move forward.

>

> Nevertheless, if I'm understanding Gaile right, they are investigating, and whilst that investigation lasts, no appeals will be handled.

Deep inside, I hope in some cases they banned people using Arc. That would make my warnings from few months ago so true now.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"FerrenoNL.7928" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"Kururu.8140" said:

> > > > > > > @"FerrenoNL.7928" said:

> > > > > > > I just got the suspension too. Likewise all I run is ArcDPS (with build templates) and TacO. Im presuming either of those is not allowed anymore.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Gaile, forwarding to a generic information post is not very helpful. I've submitted a support ticket and will await Anet's replies there in private.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > @OP I recommend you do the same :)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I had both of those installed but needed to rebuild my PC 2 days ago (thus my pc uninstalled everything on it including GW2 and along with it arcdps and taco which I haven't re-added to GW2 yet). The thread said they suspended 1583 accounts but I find it hard to believe only 1583 had arcdps and/or taco. Taco is simply an overlay and all arcpds does is read screen information so they should both be okay to use.

> > > > >

> > > > > ArcDPS reads game memory.

> > > >

> > > > Eh, I guess. Either way it still isn't a violation as far as I'm aware.

> > >

> > > It was at the start, then they said it isn't but also they said it's "use at your own risk".

> >

> > This. I can imagine that perhaps Arc modified a memory address it wasn't supposed to by accident, or perhaps Anet's measurements are off.

> >

> > I hope that they have competent people working on automated detection algorithms, and that something a bit sturdier than simply doing a processlist scan, flagging a "suspicious tool running alongside GW2" is required for them to move forward.

> >

> > Nevertheless, if I'm understanding Gaile right, they are investigating, and whilst that investigation lasts, no appeals will be handled.

>

> Deep inside, I hope in some cases they banned people using Arc. That would make my warnings from few months ago so true now.

That would contradict the greenlight from Chris a while back. Don't forget that Arc not only is a DPS meter, but also substitutes templates.

Based on what I'm reading so far, I'm guessing its something with Arc, or maybe a Windows update, or other tool (maybe anti-virus?) interfering with the game. Maybe Tribulation markers for TacO from Tekkit (official content creator, right?) which I used are not allowed, either?

There's too many people saying they are innocent. Something is a bit off, but hey that's just me. Honestly, if I'm wrong, they can name and shame me all they want, but this is my story...

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

>

> Deep inside, I hope in some cases they banned people using Arc. That would make my warnings from few months ago so true now.

Given the amount of people use it, including those who make guides (SnowCrow, Dulfy etc), I don't think a player warning beforehand would do justice. Especially since ANet give it a clear go on specific aspect after long negotiations and questions. Would at least be an official warning beforehand. Ofc these are assuming if arcdps doesn't get invasive.

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> I'm now even further convinced to never use third party software with this game...ever.

I just have one that I started using shortly after PoF came out, that mount wheel one, where it gives you a radial and when you select it, it fires the related key bind you have associated with that mount. That seems very 1-to-1 to me. Technically, I'm doing 'two' actions to get a single action accomplished. I sure hope that is okay. I've never updated it since I originally downloaded it, so if it was okay originally but then is changed so it's illegal, I wouldn't have that piece. :/

What dps meter on taco?