Please Add mounts to WvW

For mounts to work in WvW, they would have to work in a different way:

* Their workings would have to be constrained by the Territory system. For example, their movement skills would not be usable outside the territories controlled by your team, or their speed would be reduced to normal player speed with swiftness, or they could not be usable at all.

* They should not be usable to avoid confrontation. That means that any attack by an enemy player, siege or [guard](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guard "guard") should dismount you. Mounts would only be able to endure more than one attack from NPCs that do not belong to any team, like wildlife.

* Engage skills should be disabled or have separate WvW versions. No bonus damage against enemy players, and possibly also long cooldowns of 120s. Maybe even make it so players cannot be hit by any engage skill more than once within a certain time, so people do not use them to end fights faster by stacking them.

* Players who do not own PoF should be able to 'rent' a mount like they do for festival races. At the bases, controlled objectives and each sentry, people could use an object and get a temporary mount by paying badges of honor that they can use for 5 mins, or until they dismount (like how you can grab a med kit at sentries now). To mount again they'll have to find another controlled location and rent another, or buy PoF.

* Griffon and Springer would be no good. If you disable their movement abilities, they are pretty much pointless, but if you allow the jump even within one's territories they could be used to enter keeps at towers to defend them from anywhere around them, so the enemy would not be able to rely on choke points and watching the gates to prevent or reduce reinforcements. Because of the same reason, mounts in WvW would not have evades like the how the jackal gives them that power in PvE. Orherwise people could use them to rush into the door and enter keeps and towers to defend. Instead, they would have no evades, and they would be easily shot down. Players will need to rely on other methods like invulnerability and stealth like always.

So, all boils down to making them just a way to reach your squad in the fronlines faster without having to change your build to force permanent speed boosts in.

They would give strategic benefits, but never combat advantages. Unless that can't be achieved, they should not be added.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> Oh I hit some soft spots, let me go further.

>

> People who claiming mounts would break wvw are the same people who said the same about gliding but are now currently enjoying that edition as much as everyone else who owns HoT (99% of wvwers).

This is pretty flawed logic, though.

Most people without HoT and PoF have just left the game entirely because of the massive powercreep in these expansions making nearly all the old content worthless except maybe one or two specific builds.

So in a competitive mode, naturally people without access to such power are going to no longer continue to play.

Mounts are an unnecessary edition to WvW. As Strider mentioned above, combat and participation starts as soon as you leave spawn. We do not need faster-moving zergs with more particles and visual clutter. We do not need "roamers" moving just as fast to take objectives while making no sacrifices to do so because they own an expansion.

I own PoF only because it was gifted to me. I have no interest in the content. I haven't done LS since season 3. I do not want to be effectively forced into doing content I do not want to do in order to participate. That was literally the entire point of the Manifesto at this game's launch.

So no, I do not want mounts in WvW. I want to be on the same playing field as everyone else within that mode while still having some semblance of choice on the content I participate in.

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > Oh I hit some soft spots, let me go further.

> >

> > People who claiming mounts would break wvw are the same people who said the same about gliding but are now currently enjoying that edition as much as everyone else who owns HoT (99% of wvwers).

>

> This is pretty flawed logic, though.

>

> Most people without HoT and PoF have just left the game entirely because of the massive powercreep in these expansions making nearly all the old content worthless except maybe one or two specific builds.

>

> So in a competitive mode, naturally people without access to such power are going to no longer continue to play.

>

> Mounts are an unnecessary edition to WvW. As Strider mentioned above, combat and participation starts as soon as you leave spawn. We do not need faster-moving zergs with more particles and visual clutter. We do not need "roamers" moving just as fast to take objectives while making no sacrifices to do so because they own an expansion.

>

> I own PoF only because it was gifted to me. I have no interest in the content. I haven't done LS since season 3. I do not want to be effectively forced into doing content I do not want to do in order to participate. That was literally the entire point of the Manifesto at this game's launch.

>

> So no, I do not want mounts in WvW. I want to be on the same playing field as everyone else within that mode while still having some semblance of choice on the content I participate in.

but you get dismounted on hit? The lag would not last for long or at all since everyone would dismount on encountering another zerg or if they thought another zerg was nearby. I see tons of people on mounts in Crystal desert doing the pinata events and I don't get any lag at all, so I dunno why wvw would. Also, with what i'm proposing, the mounts would only give a speed buff equivalent to swiftness, something that all builds and certainly all zergs have access to by default, it would just save some from having to switch some utility/weapons or traits around when trying to catch up to a zerg.

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > > Oh I hit some soft spots, let me go further.

> > >

> > > People who claiming mounts would break wvw are the same people who said the same about gliding but are now currently enjoying that edition as much as everyone else who owns HoT (99% of wvwers).

> >

> > This is pretty flawed logic, though.

> >

> > Most people without HoT and PoF have just left the game entirely because of the massive powercreep in these expansions making nearly all the old content worthless except maybe one or two specific builds.

> >

> > So in a competitive mode, naturally people without access to such power are going to no longer continue to play.

> >

> > Mounts are an unnecessary edition to WvW. As Strider mentioned above, combat and participation starts as soon as you leave spawn. We do not need faster-moving zergs with more particles and visual clutter. We do not need "roamers" moving just as fast to take objectives while making no sacrifices to do so because they own an expansion.

> >

> > I own PoF only because it was gifted to me. I have no interest in the content. I haven't done LS since season 3. I do not want to be effectively forced into doing content I do not want to do in order to participate. That was literally the entire point of the Manifesto at this game's launch.

> >

> > So no, I do not want mounts in WvW. I want to be on the same playing field as everyone else within that mode while still having some semblance of choice on the content I participate in.

>

> but you get dismounted on hit? The lag would not last for long or at all since everyone would dismount on encountering another zerg or if they thought another zerg was nearby. I see tons of people on mounts in Crystal desert doing the pinata events and I don't get any lag at all, so I dunno why wvw would. Also, with what i'm proposing, the mounts would only give a speed buff equivalent to swiftness, something that all builds and certainly all zergs have access to by default, it would just save some from having to switch some utility/weapons or traits around when trying to catch up to a zerg.

WvW lag is much worse than in PvE. You can usually tell when a blob is coming in WvW because of frame drops prior to before they're even in sight.

And that's exactly what I mean, though. Overcoming the lack of mobility by swapping is a sacrifice made to a build that can be strategically taken advantage of by hit squads trying to nab you on the way back to the blob. If you wish to not sacrifice combat potential, you don't make a swap and get to the blob slower which hurts the blob because you died.

Running sucks, but free mobility gated behind an expansion is not a valid answer in both the ethics end and the advantages it can provide format-wide.

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > > > Oh I hit some soft spots, let me go further.

> > > >

> > > > People who claiming mounts would break wvw are the same people who said the same about gliding but are now currently enjoying that edition as much as everyone else who owns HoT (99% of wvwers).

> > >

> > > This is pretty flawed logic, though.

> > >

> > > Most people without HoT and PoF have just left the game entirely because of the massive powercreep in these expansions making nearly all the old content worthless except maybe one or two specific builds.

> > >

> > > So in a competitive mode, naturally people without access to such power are going to no longer continue to play.

> > >

> > > Mounts are an unnecessary edition to WvW. As Strider mentioned above, combat and participation starts as soon as you leave spawn. We do not need faster-moving zergs with more particles and visual clutter. We do not need "roamers" moving just as fast to take objectives while making no sacrifices to do so because they own an expansion.

> > >

> > > I own PoF only because it was gifted to me. I have no interest in the content. I haven't done LS since season 3. I do not want to be effectively forced into doing content I do not want to do in order to participate. That was literally the entire point of the Manifesto at this game's launch.

> > >

> > > So no, I do not want mounts in WvW. I want to be on the same playing field as everyone else within that mode while still having some semblance of choice on the content I participate in.

> >

> > but you get dismounted on hit? The lag would not last for long or at all since everyone would dismount on encountering another zerg or if they thought another zerg was nearby. I see tons of people on mounts in Crystal desert doing the pinata events and I don't get any lag at all, so I dunno why wvw would. Also, with what i'm proposing, the mounts would only give a speed buff equivalent to swiftness, something that all builds and certainly all zergs have access to by default, it would just save some from having to switch some utility/weapons or traits around when trying to catch up to a zerg.

>

> WvW lag is much worse than in PvE. You can usually tell when a blob is coming in WvW because of frame drops prior to before they're even in sight.

>

> And that's exactly what I mean, though. Overcoming the lack of mobility by swapping is a sacrifice made to a build that can be strategically taken advantage of by hit squads trying to nab you on the way back to the blob. If you wish to not sacrifice combat potential, you don't make a swap and get to the blob slower which hurts the blob because you died.

>

> Running sucks, but free mobility gated behind an expansion is not a valid answer in both the ethics end and the advantages it can provide format-wide.

>

But elite specs more then unbalance the game, so your point is rather moot, almost no vanilla specs can compete with advantages of an elite spec, not to mention no squad will accept anyone not in an elite spec, so I dunno I feel like the advantage of owning an expansion train has already left the station.

> > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > > > > Oh I hit some soft spots, let me go further.

> > > > >

> > > > > People who claiming mounts would break wvw are the same people who said the same about gliding but are now currently enjoying that edition as much as everyone else who owns HoT (99% of wvwers).

> > > >

> > > > This is pretty flawed logic, though.

> > > >

> > > > Most people without HoT and PoF have just left the game entirely because of the massive powercreep in these expansions making nearly all the old content worthless except maybe one or two specific builds.

> > > >

> > > > So in a competitive mode, naturally people without access to such power are going to no longer continue to play.

> > > >

> > > > Mounts are an unnecessary edition to WvW. As Strider mentioned above, combat and participation starts as soon as you leave spawn. We do not need faster-moving zergs with more particles and visual clutter. We do not need "roamers" moving just as fast to take objectives while making no sacrifices to do so because they own an expansion.

> > > >

> > > > I own PoF only because it was gifted to me. I have no interest in the content. I haven't done LS since season 3. I do not want to be effectively forced into doing content I do not want to do in order to participate. That was literally the entire point of the Manifesto at this game's launch.

> > > >

> > > > So no, I do not want mounts in WvW. I want to be on the same playing field as everyone else within that mode while still having some semblance of choice on the content I participate in.

> > >

> > > but you get dismounted on hit? The lag would not last for long or at all since everyone would dismount on encountering another zerg or if they thought another zerg was nearby. I see tons of people on mounts in Crystal desert doing the pinata events and I don't get any lag at all, so I dunno why wvw would. Also, with what i'm proposing, the mounts would only give a speed buff equivalent to swiftness, something that all builds and certainly all zergs have access to by default, it would just save some from having to switch some utility/weapons or traits around when trying to catch up to a zerg.

> >

> > WvW lag is much worse than in PvE. You can usually tell when a blob is coming in WvW because of frame drops prior to before they're even in sight.

> >

> > And that's exactly what I mean, though. Overcoming the lack of mobility by swapping is a sacrifice made to a build that can be strategically taken advantage of by hit squads trying to nab you on the way back to the blob. If you wish to not sacrifice combat potential, you don't make a swap and get to the blob slower which hurts the blob because you died.

> >

> > Running sucks, but free mobility gated behind an expansion is not a valid answer in both the ethics end and the advantages it can provide format-wide.

> >

>

> But elite specs more then unbalance the game, so your point is rather moot, almost no vanilla specs can compete with advantages of an elite spec, not to mention no squad will accept anyone not in an elite spec, so I dunno I feel like the advantage of owning an expansion train has already left the station.

Which was already the basis of argument for why a huge portion of the WvW community outright quit the game, and why after HoT, ANet's month-to-month revenue dropped by over 50% by making all the old content non-functional.

Please understand what you're requesting is a feature that only benefits a subset of players and alienates others and may negatively influence the very nature of the game itself and may also carry performance risks. There are a lot of people here showing their displeasure with the idea. If you will not take no for an answer despite being given multiple reasons why based on objective measure, then there's no sense in arguing:

Let my opinion say now that I am strongly against anything that promotes an exclusive environment of players with tangible benefit based on out-of-mode or out-of-spending habits.

This directly includes increased in combat potency with the elite specs which was promised to not be the case by ANet (the powercreep since HoT being something I still advocate against regularly), but also includes mounts, gliders (something I advocated against), and any PvE-only advantages translating into the competitive formats.

Such systems should be implemented only within the context and specifically for the design of their respective formats.

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > > > > > Oh I hit some soft spots, let me go further.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > People who claiming mounts would break wvw are the same people who said the same about gliding but are now currently enjoying that edition as much as everyone else who owns HoT (99% of wvwers).

> > > > >

> > > > > This is pretty flawed logic, though.

> > > > >

> > > > > Most people without HoT and PoF have just left the game entirely because of the massive powercreep in these expansions making nearly all the old content worthless except maybe one or two specific builds.

> > > > >

> > > > > So in a competitive mode, naturally people without access to such power are going to no longer continue to play.

> > > > >

> > > > > Mounts are an unnecessary edition to WvW. As Strider mentioned above, combat and participation starts as soon as you leave spawn. We do not need faster-moving zergs with more particles and visual clutter. We do not need "roamers" moving just as fast to take objectives while making no sacrifices to do so because they own an expansion.

> > > > >

> > > > > I own PoF only because it was gifted to me. I have no interest in the content. I haven't done LS since season 3. I do not want to be effectively forced into doing content I do not want to do in order to participate. That was literally the entire point of the Manifesto at this game's launch.

> > > > >

> > > > > So no, I do not want mounts in WvW. I want to be on the same playing field as everyone else within that mode while still having some semblance of choice on the content I participate in.

> > > >

> > > > but you get dismounted on hit? The lag would not last for long or at all since everyone would dismount on encountering another zerg or if they thought another zerg was nearby. I see tons of people on mounts in Crystal desert doing the pinata events and I don't get any lag at all, so I dunno why wvw would. Also, with what i'm proposing, the mounts would only give a speed buff equivalent to swiftness, something that all builds and certainly all zergs have access to by default, it would just save some from having to switch some utility/weapons or traits around when trying to catch up to a zerg.

> > >

> > > WvW lag is much worse than in PvE. You can usually tell when a blob is coming in WvW because of frame drops prior to before they're even in sight.

> > >

> > > And that's exactly what I mean, though. Overcoming the lack of mobility by swapping is a sacrifice made to a build that can be strategically taken advantage of by hit squads trying to nab you on the way back to the blob. If you wish to not sacrifice combat potential, you don't make a swap and get to the blob slower which hurts the blob because you died.

> > >

> > > Running sucks, but free mobility gated behind an expansion is not a valid answer in both the ethics end and the advantages it can provide format-wide.

> > >

> >

> > But elite specs more then unbalance the game, so your point is rather moot, almost no vanilla specs can compete with advantages of an elite spec, not to mention no squad will accept anyone not in an elite spec, so I dunno I feel like the advantage of owning an expansion train has already left the station.

>

> Which was already the basis of argument for why a huge portion of the WvW community outright quit the game, and why after HoT, ANet's month-to-month revenue dropped by over 50% by making all the old content non-functional.

>

> Please understand what you're requesting is a feature that only benefits a subset of players and alienates others and may negatively influence the very nature of the game itself and may also carry performance risks. There are a lot of people here showing their displeasure with the idea. If you will not take no for an answer despite being given multiple reasons why based on objective measure, then there's no sense in arguing:

>

> Let my opinion say now that I am strongly against anything that promotes an exclusive environment of players with tangible benefit based on out-of-mode or out-of-spending habits.

>

> This directly includes increased in combat potency with the elite specs which was promised to not be the case by ANet (the powercreep since HoT being something I still advocate against regularly), but also includes mounts, gliders (something I advocated against), and any PvE-only advantages translating into the competitive formats.

>

> Such systems should be implemented only within the context and specifically for the design of their respective formats.

I agree, but it's only swiftness and they already decided that owning an expansion would give you a considerable advantage, so in lieu of that I'd like to sew mounts in wvw since we already have gliding.

This is a very non-intrusive suggestion and I am now convinced that people just disagree on here simply to disagree with little to no reason. I have only seen a couple of posts on here as to why this might be a problem.

1) potential advantage to people who own Pof - true but we already have gliding and elite specs are already way OP over vanilla

2) might cause lag - Maybe, but people will dismount with my suggestion on encountering another zerg or risk being knocked down

Other then that, its a pretty decent suggestion that would allow us to display our hard earned mounts, and incorporate PoF into wvw, while giving us a slight (non-game breaking advantage - more of a convenience) and a fun new mechanic.

People complaining about it are either the same ones who said Gliding would break wvw forever, or they simply say no just to say no.

> This is a very non-intrusive suggestion and I am now convinced that people just disagree on here simply to disagree with little to no reason. I have only seen a couple of posts on here as to why this might be a problem.

>

> 1) potential advantage to people who own Pof - true but we already have gliding and elite specs are already way OP over vanilla

> 2) might cause lag - Maybe, but people will dismount with my suggestion on encountering another zerg or risk being knocked down

>

> Other then that, its a pretty decent suggestion that would allow us to display our hard earned mounts, and incorporate PoF into wvw, while giving us a slight (non-game breaking advantage - more of a convenience) and a fun new mechanic.

>

> People complaining about it are either the same ones who said Gliding would break wvw forever, or they simply say no just to say no.

“Hard earned mounts” ? Which one ? All you have to do in this game to acquire these mounts, is to complete a heart and spend gold (owe without a gold cost as well).

I don’t mainly play WvW personally but your suggestion is terrible imo: too much resources needed for little no gain, like others have said.

They are already busy with WvW alliances implementation. Something you are actively against if I recall correctly, am I right ?

Still the only way to implement mounts in WvW would be to design mounts that are acquired only in WvW with the competitive nature of WvW in mind.

I made a suggestion about mounts in the past, back on the old forums. The idea was to introduce stables into WvW, with unique WvW themed mounts. The stables would work similarly to supply camps, in that they hold a limited amount of mounts that players can attain, with the stock regenerating over time. Once a player takes a mount from the stable, it will be active for a set amount of time and will have a set amount of health (which does not regenerate). Once the time is up or the mount takes a certain amount of damage, it would die and you'd need to return to the stable to collect another. Upgrading the stable to higher levels would increase the maximum mount capacity, increase the stock regeneration rate, and increase the mounts' maximum life and duration, which would also incentivize protecting upgraded stables.

Basically, the idea was that the stable mechanic would serve to both limit the amount of mounts available at any given time, as well as introduce a new strategic target into WvW maps worth fighting over. So, Zergs wouldn't be able to be fully mounted unless you have multiple stables at once, and it also encourages separating teams into groups, with the larger on foot force being supported by a smaller "cavalry division". Mounts would also be good assets for roamers or scouts.

To me, this seemed like a more controlled and deliberate way of introducing mounts into WvW in a way that actually adds to the depth of the game mode, rather than just being a random, hacked-on addition.

Watering down mounts to fit them in WvW probably wouldn't feel to great. Arena Net's entire motif with mounts was adding mobility in creative ways. Creative ways that would be entirely game breaking in WvW, and thus needing to be hardly different than running with swiftness......

It's like taking your mount and crippling it basically.

Before you get to mount up, you have to break your raptors leg. JumpinLumpix the type of guy to take a sledgehammer to a Springers feet and make it senselessly storm a battlefield just for people to tell him his cosmetics look good.

> Just remove all their skills i don't even care, make it so that we go like 33% faster if we are on them or something and dismount + 1 1/2 sec knockdown on taking damage. Its sad that we can only use mounts in pve, I want to see more of them used in pvp settings, especially wvw.

>

> Make it so we cant mount in combat and all mounts function the same so we can use any type/skin we have.

Totally agree, being spoiled with mounts, like gliding has made running on foot in wvw painful haha. They could even just make special mounts for wvw that cannot jump higher than the player, like a rhinocerous or something.

> @"CrashTheGrey.1492" said:

> Watering down mounts to fit them in WvW probably wouldn't feel to great. Arena Net's entire motif with mounts was adding mobility in creative ways. Creative ways that would be entirely game breaking in WvW, and thus needing to be hardly different than running with swiftness......

>

> It's like taking your mount and crippling it basically.

>

> Before you get to mount up, you have to break your raptors leg. JumpinLumpix the type of guy to take a sledgehammer to a Springers feet and make it senselessly storm a battlefield just for people to tell him his cosmetics look good.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

yah so? my springer is very nice =( and nobody can see him. I wish we had fully functional mounts in wvw, but everyone would get upset if they did anything.

> > @"CrashTheGrey.1492" said:

> > Watering down mounts to fit them in WvW probably wouldn't feel to great. Arena Net's entire motif with mounts was adding mobility in creative ways. Creative ways that would be entirely game breaking in WvW, and thus needing to be hardly different than running with swiftness......

> >

> > It's like taking your mount and crippling it basically.

> >

> > Before you get to mount up, you have to break your raptors leg. JumpinLumpix the type of guy to take a sledgehammer to a Springers feet and make it senselessly storm a battlefield just for people to tell him his cosmetics look good.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> yah so? my springer is very nice =( and nobody can see him. I wish we had fully functional mounts in wvw, but everyone would get upset if they did anything.

Fully functioning mounts in wvw? Now I know there's a lack of fully functional thinking right there. Please stop and start thinking with more sense thank you.