The next expansion should not be more expensive

> @"NEOTHEGAMER.9824" said:

> > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > How about, if you can't afford $40 for a game expansion, you have bigger priorities in your life that need to be taken care of besides gaming.

>

> whats wrong in asking for lower price , im not asking 50 or 40% discount , but something minor like 5 or 10%, its not like im blackmailing them, im just giving them a possibility, its their choice , and do u want to spend 30 bucks when it could when less. and i mean ppl who bought both expansions.

If it's too expensive from my perspective, I simply won't buy it. That's how you combat high prices. And then they will discount it if not enough people are buying it. Telling them to do it on forums isn't going to be effective.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get the "if they give [core/HoT/content I paid for] away, my money is wasted!" argument.

Because I don't see any of that outrage over movies being shown on TV 2-5 years later. For free.

I'd link the Extra Credits episode about this topic (go look it up of you're interested), but the tl;dr of it is:

•Games are more expensive to make

•Number of players isn't matching the cost

•We're conditioned to demand the same or *lower* prices as 10 years ago.

PoF ended up very reasonably priced, and I'm sure ANet seriously punished itself to do so.

If there is another expansion, I suspect we'll see an HoT/PoF bundle for $20 (or $10 each) and the expansion itself to be $30-$40 in order to compete with the price-slashed console/Steam market.

> > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > How about, if you can't afford $40 for a game expansion, you have bigger priorities in your life that need to be taken care of besides gaming.

>

> whats wrong in asking for lower price , im not asking 50 or 40% discount , but something minor like 5 or 10%, its not like im blackmailing them, im just giving them a possibility, its their choice , and do u want to spend 30 bucks when it could when less. and i mean ppl who bought both expansions.

I'll tell you something else. I bought the Ultimate edition of both expansions, the moment they were available for pre-purchase. So not only did I want to spend 30 bucks on GW2 expansions, I actually spent more for additional benefits. I realize not everyone's able to do this. Of course I wouldn't mind things costing less, but we have to be realistic as well. If ANet goes down because they don't make enough money, this game we love to play so much will be gone too.

But so far I have not seen unreasonable prices from ANet. Well, for their expansions, at least; some gemstores items, however...coughuniquemountskinscough...

And these are personal standards, of course. What's reasonable to me might be unreasonable to others. But it's impossible to please/cater to everyone's standards.

If you want expansion to be even less then don't expect a quality/huge game content in the expansion and complain. Anet has a business to run with staff and bills to be paid while aiming at their targets.

Cutting price = cutting new content. Game is already quite cheap compare to most MMORPG which includes monthly cost on top. Every game/expansion loses value in overtime (some keep their prices but Anet don't want a huge pay wall for the new players).

Expansion usually announce in good time allowing you to save up anyways, stop being cheap and pay anet for delivering you new contents to the game which they work so hard for.

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"NEOTHEGAMER.9824" said:

> > > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > > How about, if you can't afford $40 for a game expansion, you have bigger priorities in your life that need to be taken care of besides gaming.

> >

> > whats wrong in asking for lower price , im not asking 50 or 40% discount , but something minor like 5 or 10%, its not like im blackmailing them, im just giving them a possibility, its their choice , and do u want to spend 30 bucks when it could when less. and i mean ppl who bought both expansions.

>

> I'll tell you something else. I bought the Ultimate edition of both expansions, the moment they were available for pre-purchase. So not only did I want to spend 30 bucks on GW2 expansions, I actually spent more for additional benefits. I realize not everyone's able to do this. Of course I wouldn't mind things costing less, but we have to be realistic as well. If ANet goes down because they don't make enough money, this game we love to play so much will be gone too.

> But so far I have not seen unreasonable prices from ANet. Well, for their expansions, at least; some gemstores items, however...coughuniquemountskinscough...

> And these are personal standards, of course. What's reasonable to me might be unreasonable to others. But it's impossible to please/cater to everyone's standards.

so everyone will be angry if the next expansion is for less money

> @"Jasonbdj.4021" said:

> If you want expansion to be even less then don't expect a quality/huge game content in the expansion and complain. Anet has a business to run with staff and bills to be paid while aiming at their targets.

>

> Cutting price = cutting new content. Game is already quite cheap compare to most MMORPG which includes monthly cost on top. Every game/expansion loses value in overtime (some keep their prices but Anet don't want a huge pay wall for the new players).

>

> Expansion usually announce in good time allowing you to save up anyways, stop being cheap and pay anet for delivering you new contents to the game which they work so hard for.

i didn't say they have to , i said they could and i'm not complaining

The basic version of Path of Fire was quite cheap with a price of $29.99 / €29,99 / £25.99. In my opinion, it does not need to be even cheaper because ArenaNet will also need some income to continue to host/support the game without timely fees. I bought the ultimate edition because I tend to buy the gems anyways.

> @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> The basic version of Path of Fire was quite cheap with a price of $29.99 / €29,99 / £25.99. In my opinion, it does not need to be even cheaper because ArenaNet will also need some income to continue to host/support the game without timely fees. I bought the ultimate edition because I tend to buy the gems anyways.

that is quiet true it does not have to cheaper , for people new to the game who haven't bought any of the expansions, im saying a tiny tiny tiny price deduction for ppl who bought both expansions

> > @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> > The basic version of Path of Fire was quite cheap with a price of $29.99 / €29,99 / £25.99. In my opinion, it does not need to be even cheaper because ArenaNet will also need some income to continue to host/support the game without timely fees. I bought the ultimate edition because I tend to buy the gems anyways.

>

> that is quiet true it does not have to cheaper , for people new to the game who haven't bought any of the expansions, im saying a tiny tiny tiny price deduction for ppl who bought both expansions

I understand you, but I do not share your opinion. We already get the Living World maps for free, and why should existing players with both expansions not pay the same price for the next one. They already give us the choice between three differently priced versions of which the basic version I consider to be quite affordable. Remember that game development and server hosting/maintenance costs a lot of money. It has to be paid for in some way. And players who bought every expansion get real benefits already over players who just bought the base game or a single expansion.

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> >

> > Ok, I'll bite. I couldn't currently afford to buy an expansion for a game. My husband lost his job in January so we've been living on just my salary and conservation doesn't pay well. We can afford what we need to get by but not a lot else, and already had a few holidays booked which are going to use up any spare cash we do have. Does that mean I shouldn't play GW2 - a game I already owned and which costs me absolutely nothing extra to keep playing? What am I supposed to do when I get home from work? Sit and stare at the wall and feel sad that I'm poor? Or am I supposed to try and get a second job (which I'd then quit as soon as he gets one again) and never see my family at all?

> >

> > I understand saying that people shouldn't expect to get an expansion for less than retail price just because they can't afford what the developers want to charge for it. (Although there's a fine line between complaining that it's more than you can afford right now and stating that it's too expensive for what it is. I thought HoT was overpriced and said so at the time, even though I could easily afford it - and actually bought the Ultimate Edition because in my head that meant I could subtract £40 from the cost price for the cost of the gems, and end up paying what I'd expected for the Deluxe Edition.)

> >

> > But I don't understand this thinking that if you can't afford to pay full price for an expansion pack/new game you shouldn't be playing ones you already own.

>

> Well, if you read OP's posts, it's pretty obvious he/she is a teenager, still in school and living with their family/parents, who are apparently not a big a fan of computer games (to put it mildly). Hardly a similar situation. I'm guessing he/she is living off an allowance which is usually nowhere near a full paycheck. Coupled with the fact that parents don't like them playing games, it makes for a difficult but completely different situation compared to yours.. And no, it doesn't mean you shouldn't play GW2. But asking for expansions to be cheaper because you can't afford them at the moment is taking it a bit too far. ANet's first priority is to pay their employees and keep the game and company running, not cater to everyone's personal financial situation.

Ok, so in your opinion it's less about how much money you have and more about where it comes from and whether other people think that restricts your right to decide what you spend it on? So because I'm earning my money I can spend it how I like, but if the OP is getting money from their parents they need permission to spend it? So if the OP says they have a job, but it's part-time 1 day a week and doesn't pay much then they're allowed to spend it on GW2 even if they can't afford a full price expansion?

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > > They should and will price it as they see fit. Not to be mean, but if you can't afford 30 bucks to play a game you shouldn't waste time gaming at all.

> >

> > Ok, I'll bite. I couldn't currently afford to buy an expansion for a game. My husband lost his job in January so we've been living on just my salary and conservation doesn't pay well. We can afford what we need to get by but not a lot else, and already had a few holidays booked which are going to use up any spare cash we do have. Does that mean I shouldn't play GW2 - a game I already owned and which costs me absolutely nothing extra to keep playing? What am I supposed to do when I get home from work? Sit and stare at the wall and feel sad that I'm poor? Or am I supposed to try and get a second job (which I'd then quit as soon as he gets one again) and never see my family at all?

> >

> > I understand saying that people shouldn't expect to get an expansion for less than retail price just because they can't afford what the developers want to charge for it. (Although there's a fine line between complaining that it's more than you can afford right now and stating that it's too expensive for what it is. I thought HoT was overpriced and said so at the time, even though I could easily afford it - and actually bought the Ultimate Edition because in my head that meant I could subtract £40 from the cost price for the cost of the gems, and end up paying what I'd expected for the Deluxe Edition.)

> >

> > But I don't understand this thinking that if you can't afford to pay full price for an expansion pack/new game you shouldn't be playing ones you already own.

>

> No offense, but to be honest, if you can't afford an expansion to a video game for $20, $30, $40 you have much, much bigger priorities in your life you really need to take care of before gaming.......

>

> I lost my career job 7 years ago (I'm all better now) a month after my mom passed away, and my house went into foreclosure. I was homeless for a month living out of my own car as I struggled to find a new job. Gaming online was the absolute least of my problems as it should have been.

That doesn't answer my question though. You're right that GW2 is the least of my problems, in fact I'd say it's not a problem at all. But what I'm asking is what benefit there is in me not playing it until I could afford to buy an expansion. There is no subscription for this game and nothing in the EULA to say you must buy expansions as they're released. I've already bought the game so it doesn't cost me anything extra. So what do I gain or save or whatever by not playing it?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> But I don't understand this thinking that if you can't afford to pay full price for an expansion pack/new game you shouldn't be playing ones you already own.

That's not what I posted and I don't understand that thinking either.

What's keeping you from playing the game you already own without buying an expansion?

> > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > They should and will price it as they see fit. Not to be mean, but if you can't afford 30 bucks to play a game you shouldn't waste time gaming at all.

>

> one thing ,u are mean, and i love gaming but my family just doesn't love the idea of it , they despise it and even i get A's in every subject they still dont allow me , for now i just game so i can escape the horrors of life till im independent

I'm sorry you feel I'm being mean. It seems your family wants you to do well in life, which is a great thing. But sure, they should cut you some slack to have fun.

But what this have to do with the price?

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > > They should and will price it as they see fit. Not to be mean, but if you can't afford 30 bucks to play a game you shouldn't waste time gaming at all.

> >

> > one thing ,u are mean, and i love gaming but my family just doesn't love the idea of it , they despise it and even i get A's in every subject they still dont allow me , for now i just game so i can escape the horrors of life till im independent

>

> I'm sorry you feel I'm being mean. It seems your family wants you to do well in life, which is a great thing. But sure, they should cut you some slack to have fun.

> But what this have to do with the price?

>

so i can convince my bro to buy the game , the cheaper , the chances are better , and i had to give up a lot of privileges to get the hot and pof expansion as a bundle and if i irritate him too much , im pretty much busted

> so i can convince my bro to buy the game , the cheaper , the chances are better , and i had to give up a lot of privileges to get the hot and pof expansion as a bundle and if i irritate him too much , im pretty much busted

Well, have a like for good luck! <3

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > Let's see, I could whine for a $25 expansion pack, or I could give up one large pizza and easily afford $40. Wow, that's a tough one.... not.

>

> I know right, I mean who'd give up a pizza?!

i......would.........

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > > Let's see, I could whine for a $25 expansion pack, or I could give up one large pizza and easily afford $40. Wow, that's a tough one.... not.

> >

> > I know right, I mean who'd give up a pizza?!

>

> i......would.........

Give up pizza and maybe mow your neighborhood lawns for money or shovel snow? You probably have 2 Summers and one winter before the next xpac. Or do some chores for your brother to convince him to buy the xpac? Good luck!

> I Know that A.net is right now developing the 3rd expansion , but i just want to say that it should at least cost little less for players who bought the both expansions

Considering that you get months of free content, new maps, new story, new items, in some cases new legendaries and other goals to achieve out right for free between each ex pack I think anet has done this part right.

Even with the core game you got arguably 2-3 years of free content never being forced to pay a fee or buy gems if you didnt want to to keep playing.

I would much rather buy the xpack bundles and get tons of loot with them for what 60$ once a year than pay 15$ a month to play the game..... but have a slightly cheaper cost up front for the xpacs. (which in reality wouldnt be that much cheaper)

imo giving players the optional choice to buy in game cosmetics to pay for the games uptime and content between x packs will always be better than charging every player a fee just to play the game.

So enjoy the fact that other people are paying for you to play this game for free with no fees attached. If it was not for all the kind players you see running around with the skins, gathering tools, and other neat cosmetics you would be paying much more than you do for just the xpacks per year.

> @"artemis.6781" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > > > Let's see, I could whine for a $25 expansion pack, or I could give up one large pizza and easily afford $40. Wow, that's a tough one.... not.

> > >

> > > I know right, I mean who'd give up a pizza?!

> >

> > i......would.........

>

> Give up pizza and maybe mow your neighborhood lawns for money or shovel snow? You probably have 2 Summers and one winter before the next xpac. Or do some chores for your brother to convince him to buy the xpac? Good luck!

i wish it was like that , but i'm indian and where i live don't have an opportunity to do stuff and i get only like 5 rupees per day and and i need 2000 something rupees and i don't have a credit card